Exercise! - Cool Runners #2 May 2006

View Full Version : Cool Runners #2 May 2006

Ilene
05-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey we haven't started a May Cool Runners yet?? Unbelievable!! Well then here it is!!

I haven't run yet this week... Tomorrow I can't wait :carrot: ... I hate when life gets in the way of my workouts!

sweetlovin
05-03-2006, 11:22 PM
hmm ill join :)

iowasteph2
05-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi! I'm Stephanie. I lurked a bit during April, but I'd like to join you! I'm currently doing the Couch to 5k plan from Cool Runnings. I believe I'm on week 7, and I'm running 25 minutes three times this week. I've ran it twice already, and it went fine both times. Running has come relatively easy for me at times and pretty bad other times!! I plan to run a 5k race on June 3rd. I'm excited, and it has been nice to have a goal.

Question for you all-- I'm considering buying a new pair of running shoes. I don't know of a speciality running shop in my area. I just went to a sports store, and as you know, running shoes can really vary in cost. At this point in time, I really don't think I'll be running many more than about 25 total miles per week. Is there much sense in spending over $100? A pair that I was happy with was $65. Do you think there's much difference considering how "few" miles I'll be doing? I can completely understand the costlier ones for people who put in more distance than me, but I don't know whether it's worth it for my situation.

All advice is quite helpful!! You women are so inspiring!!

Ilene
05-04-2006, 12:10 AM
TWO newbies in a row!! WOOHOO :dance: :welcome: girls!!

Steph -- I personally think that your feet are VERY important and that, according to my food doctor, there is a very big difference in the prices and quality of running shoes... If you can possibly get to a running specialty shoe store it will be worth your time and effort. They will look at your walk and asses if you have a neutral foot or if you over or under pronate and fit your shoes accordingly... I travel an hour to a larger city to get my shoes :yes: ... I hope this helps... Another thng that comes to mind is that if you buy the wrong type of shoe you may get some aches and pains which will discourage you from running and you may stop it all together... But I guess, also if you really want to find out if you even "like" running you could go for a cheaper pair to start, but I would be worried of the injury factor...

Sushi Penguin
05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Here's another newbie. :)

I've been running on and off since December, and have about reached the time when I'm getting serious about it - as in, running because I want to, not because I make myself. :lol: At the moment I'm running every other day, as part of a 21-day challenge. It's actually a re-start after a long camping trip. My main goal is to increase the time, and with it distance, but not so much time per mile right now. I run outside, since I don't have access to a treadmill righ now (and I'd probably die of boredom on it anyway).

This morning I ran a measured 5 km in approximately 32 minutes, and then kept going... 45 minutes total, so I figure I covered some 7 km. This is the longest I've ever ran (these days I'm averaging 20-35), and though I probably have hit 5 km before, I had no way of measuring it.
I usually measure in lenghts along the dirt road where I usually run (one lenght is 1.5 km or a bit less). There is an incline there, so one way is always harder, and recently I couldn't even make 3 lenghts, so I'm really happy with the 7 kms. :)

Miaka
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I haven't posted for a while, but I am still running. My weight has been stable and I am going on a 3 week vacation to Asia this weekend!

YP1
05-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. I'm off on holiday for just over a week tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get a couple of runs in. Possibly.

If not I'll just swim and get back down to it when I get back ;)

Ilene
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Bon Voyage Helen AND Miaka :wave:

Ilene
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
I finally ran today 10k with my group of gals... They are so awesome I don't know what I would do without them at the moment... The girl who is our "motivator" gave me heck tonight (not in front of everyone of course) because she says I'm too hard on myself and this is what is keeping me back. She says, and she's right, that last September I was one of the best runners, and now I seem to have lost my mojo...She kept telling me that I am the most rounded person there I weight train, I do yoga, I do core work, I'm happy in my life... So why the heck am I letting some older women pass me? Who aren't half as fit as I am... She kept saying to get down into my centre and find my strength again, where ever it is, I'll find it..... She really really got me thinking... Hence my reason for venting to you gals... I hope you don't mind and thanks for listening...

eadavenp
05-04-2006, 10:54 PM
I got out and ran on Tuesday... now i just have to make myself go tommorow. I bought some new running gear tonight, hopefully it will motivate me. I got a brand new sportsbra and i LOVE It.

AnneWonders
05-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Ilene, only you can decide if you are holding yourself back. But a couple of things to consider--we all have some genetic potential for how fast we can run, and while we can all improve, for most of us there will always be faster people. Some of them are a lot older. So older women will pass you. Older women pass my DH and he's a 3 hour marathoner! Congrats to those older women. Also, sometimes a "well-rounded" person isn't the fastest runner. The more you concentrate on one sport the better you'll be at it. So is it worth giving up your core work to get in another run? Probably not for us recreational folks, but only you can make that call.

So having said that, are you too hard on yourself? Only you can make that call. But remember, it is supposed to be fun! Have fun! What good is it if it isn't fun?

I had a nice run this morning. Short one, two miles, but I ran the whole way, at a decent pace too. WOO HOO!

Anne

iowasteph2
05-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Hello!! Thank you, Ilene, for your advice on purchasing new shoes. I do know that I have a normal gait. I was an exercise sport major as an undergrad, and we tested our walking and running in a biomechanics class. Too bad I don't remember much about the course though!! Who would have known that the information would come in handy again!

I'm looking forward to running tonight. Like I said previously, I'm doing the Couch 2 5k. I'd like to run more than what it has planned for me, but I'm scared to take it too fast and risk injury. Tonight is a 25 minute run.

Have a nice trip, you two!

Ilene
05-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Ilene, only you can decide if you are holding yourself back. But a couple of things to consider--we all have some genetic potential for how fast we can run, and while we can all improve, for most of us there will always be faster people. Some of them are a lot older. So older women will pass you. Older women pass my DH and he's a 3 hour marathoner! Congrats to those older women. Also, sometimes a "well-rounded" person isn't the fastest runner. The more you concentrate on one sport the better you'll be at it. So is it worth giving up your core work to get in another run? Probably not for us recreational folks, but only you can make that call.

So having said that, are you too hard on yourself? Only you can make that call. But remember, it is supposed to be fun! Have fun! What good is it if it isn't fun?Thank you Anne I appreciate your insight and I do realize there will always be someone better than me, DANG it all :lol: ... Today I ran hills on the new dreadmills :tread: at the gym and I really enjoyed it ... Maybe I am a bit hard on myself and I do want to improve :yes: , so I WILL keep plugging at it and ENJOY it every second of the way. Something I must say, is that the girl we run with always stresses that this is for FUN and maybe on Thursday she could sense that I wasn't having fun on this particular run and she was trying to find out what was bothering me, ans since I am not much of a talker or talk of my emotions I am a difficult person to read and she was trying to get me tho think of what is going on with myself... It may be that I haven't been eating as well as I should, not working out as often because I am working more hours, I am not drinking my water as much....She made me think anyways and thinking of improving oneself is always good in my book...

Ilene
05-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Sushi :welcome: ... I almost missed your post ... Here is a great site ( http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/) for measuring distance... just input where you are... This is what I use ...

AnneWonders
05-06-2006, 01:14 AM
It may be that I haven't been eating as well as I should, not working out as often because I am working more hours, I am not drinking my water as much....

Gosh Ilene, you are being hard on yourself. Also, don't stress if it isn't fun every day. Nothing is fun every day, even fun stuff. It just sounds like you are making so much progress from here. I remember when you just met your running group and were nervous about it. Now, you're always going running with the girls! Don't forget how far you've come. You're doing great--don't let an off day get you too down.

Sounds like you did great with the treadmill! Tomorrow I'm riding the bike for about 2.5 hrs. I got my new roof rack on, and put up some traffic cones in my garage so I don't do something stupid like try to drive in with the bike on top. Sunday I run again, 6.2 miles. If I say 10K here, everyone will think I'm doing a race!

Anne

Sushi Penguin
05-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Thanks for welcome and the link, Ilene. That website looks cool, but I don't think I'll be able to use it as I'm not in the States and it doesn't seem to work for any other country (unless I'm doing something wrong...).

Today was my running day again, 26 minutes. My new stopwatch is great, but it bounces (of course), so I can't wear it on my neck (drives me bonkers...). I did 3 lenghts of the dirt road quite easily but in a different format than usual, so that I only had to do the incline once. I was quite happy for my times for the lenghts - 7:34, 16:34, 25:25.

Now I must go offer prayers to the weather gods for a rain-free Monday morning. :) ;)

iowasteph2
05-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I was just checking in before I head out for a short run. Sushi, I just wanted you to know that you can switch the country on the link that Ilene gave you. There are all kind of countries on there. You change the country at the top of the screen (towards the middle). stephanie

bellybella
05-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi!! I'd like to join you all if you wouldn't mind. I used to be an avid jogger but then after having 2 little ones (well, they are 4 and 6 now) I haven't had the time. I have a treadmill at home but got bored with it so now that the weather is getting better I trot along while my kids ride their bike. I say trot because it's a little slower than a jog.

Also, I notice I get tired fast jogging outside than on the treadmill so I'm pretty much reintroducing myself to running outdoors again.

Ilene
05-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey Bellybella :welcome: you can trot along with us any time, some days I trot along too :yes: ... And it IS much more tiring to run/jog/trot :lol: outside than it is inside, BUT I much prefer it now to the dreadmill :tread:

Tomorrow I too am doing a 6.2miler or 10K (not a race) ;)

Anne -- You're just so nice, thanks for the encouraging words :hug:...

Only Me
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Ilene, I agree with Anne, you're being too hard on yourself! You've come so far with it--from treadmill to outdoors to running with a group. It's not going to be fun every single time. And you're going to have off days when it seems harder than it should. You've come so far, from treadmill, to outdoors by yourself, to running with a group--don't be so hard on yourself!

I've had an off week or so as I tapered for a half marathon today. I hate tapering. I get restless, grouchy and headachey. Anyway, I had 3 goals for today--(easy) under 2:00:00 gun time for the first time ever, (tough but doable) under 1:55:00 and (dream) under 1:52:00. The race day was great--sunny but cool and not too much wind considering the time of year. I'd picked my race kit up the day before, so we didn't have to rush out there at the crack of dawn. We got there about 25 minutes before race time, just in time to sneak inside to the indoor washrooms thereby bypassing the porta-potty line, do a short warm-up and get to the start, where I handed off my jacket and sweatshirt to dh and kids. I avoided starting too fast and everything went well until I got a side stitch just before km 15. Which resulted in me having to slow down for the next 3km and losing at least 1 minute time wise. But I managed to pick it back up after 18km and finish in 1:53:49. A personal best by over 5 minutes, so I'll take it, even if I was frustrated by losing time midway through.

While I was running, my 7 year old finished his first ever 3km race in 25 minutes. He's very proud of his finisher's medal. He was also happy that he wasn't last (about 7 kids behind him).

AnneWonders
05-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Way to go Only Me! That is too cool!

Had a lousy run this morning. My knee hurt after my bike yesterday, and didn't feel so great. And I hit a dead end as I was exploring a new route. So I just kind of bailed after about 2.5 mi. Ah well.

Anne

bellybella
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome Ilene!!!

Only me, when did your son start running? My daughter just turned 6 today and I would like to start some jogging w/ her.

Sushi Penguin
05-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Nice run this morning, too bad I got a stitch... But I did well pace-wise, time-wise and endurance-wise, and distance wasn't bad either. After the stitch was gone, I did a personal mini race to see how fast I could run one lenght of my dirt road, and I'm quite happy with the time.
I tried some interval running, but I'm not quite sure how that is supposed to work, so some advice would be lovely pretty please. :)

Lucky13
05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
welcome to all of our newbies!

I had a decent run yesterday - about 5 miles in 48 min (considering I walked the first 5 minutes of that I was pretty pleased). DH and I bought a new DVD/VCR Combo for our exercise room so we have a pretty sweet set up - it's really nice! we can watch whatever movie, etc...we want while we run now! Of course, DH just bought some new UFC/fighting/kick butt DVD's so he is super excited about that - lol

On Saturday I actually (Gasp!!) ran outside!! In Texas!! In May!! The weather was absolutely perfect and the pace I was running I felt like I could have done that all day. (probably a 11-min mile pace - b/c DH was with me) - but it definitely felt great :)

OnlyMe - great job on your Half-Marathon - sounds like you had a great run!!

Ilene
05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Only Me -- :bravo: on the race!!

Had a good run yesterday, 11.21k in 1:15...

AnneWonders
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Congrats Ilene and Lucky13 on your great runs!

Welcome bellybella and Sushi Penguin!

I'm off today, tomorrow I bike, and then run again on Wednesday. Hoping for a good one this time.

Saturday is my Splash n Dash up in Phoenix. I'm excited about it, it's my first time swimming in a wetsuit in almost 2 years! The run part is a 4K, and my goal is to run the whole thing with no walk breaks. I figure the more people I tell, the more likely I am to do it. Since I ran 2 miles without walking last week, I figure it is a doable goal.

Anne

eadavenp
05-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I am back on track. Its monday afternoon, i got in a run without too much farting around and making excuses and i really focused on minutes run. I did ten minutes running, 2 walking, 5 running, 2 walking, 2 running, 1 walking, and a 20 second sprint to finish it off. Add on about 7 min total for warm up and cool down, and i did about 2 miles (maybe slightly under). All i know is that i am proud that i got out there and did something rather than lamenting about how gross i feel.

Only Me
05-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Anne, GOOD LUCK on Saturday! How are you managing juggling baby, work, husband, house, running, swimming and biking? I'm tired just reading the list.

bellybella, Ds doesn't really run much other than gym class or the indoor soccer he did one day a week last winter. He does have gym class 4/6 school days though. He "ran" a couple of kids 1k fun runs last summer, and when I signed up for the half, he asked if he could run a race too. I told him there was only a 3k for kids 7 and up, but he still wanted to do it anyway. He went for a run/walk with me a couple of times before or after I went out myself. And a couple of times he ran up and down our street a bunch of times. He does walk and ride his bike a lot. I was worried about him getting discouraged with the long distance, but he was ok. Dh pushed the girls (2 and 4) in a double stroller along with him to pace him and encourage him. He started out way at the back, but caught up and passed 6 kids, all older than he is, who did a great 500m sprint at the start, and then just sort of strolled along the rest of the way.

I spent part of the morning and most of the afternoon today moving a big pile of dirt around my backyard so that I can plant a garden and grass seed soon and actually have a lawn rather than a dust bowl in my backyard. When dh got home from work, I went for an easy 7k run after taking yesterday off. My legs felt a bit tired, but I'm not sure if that's related to the race or all the yard word.

Ilene
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Tonight I went out with the gals we did a 10k... It was 25C out and I find that way too hot :hot: along with being at the end of the day, it just burns me right out, I think that's part of my problem just plain ole tired at the end of a long day... I do great in the morning when it's cook like on Sunday....

iowasteph2
05-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Only-Me, congratulations!! Way to go on the race!

I ran for 30 minutes tonight. I was the longest run that I've ever done. I'm just finishing the Couch to 5k, and I'm so glad I took on this challenge. I have always been athletic, but I could never run. I was even an varsity athlete in college, but you wouldn't see this chicka running!!! I feel like I've gained so much energy and quite honestly, inspiration that transfers into other areas of my life. Is that even possible after only "running" for a couple of months?!

I took my neighbors dog jogging yesterday. We only went 18 minutes, but she definitely made me pick up the pace. We had a blast. My neighbor was so glad that I took her dog, because the dog doesn't get any exercise except when I take her.

AnneWonders
05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Only me, I think my brain is shutting down. I've lost a padlock that I use at the gym/pool, today I left my wheel in the parking lot at work (recovered with only minor damage), and the house has gone to H-E-double hockey sticks. Tonight I *forgot to make and eat dinner* until DH reminded me. Really. I just got back the card I sent to my mother for mother's day, because I put my zip code on it for the address. Apparently I told the dog in all seriousness to quit staring at me this morning. I have a difficult time holding a conversation that is more than 2 minutes long. I think if I was able to comprehend what I am doing, I'd just collapse. I'm hoping this is normal. I only work part-time now, or I would collapse.

Ilene, good on you for getting out there.

Iowasteph, great for you on 30 minutes. A milestone. Accomplishments breed accomplishments, so yes, it will transfer.

I'm going out tomorrow bright and early. If I remember. :)

Anne

WaterRat
05-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh Anne - I hope this is only sleep deprivation/fatigue. My DH has had similar problems when he doesn't get enough sleep. :hug: to you. I'm in awe of how much you do with a new baby!

AnneWonders
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the support Pat. Today I overslept and missed my run. :( Tomorrow is biking again, so I'll do my Friday run, only 2 miles, but it is supposed to be short so I have some left for Saturday's race. Here's hoping I don't sleep through that.

Anne

Stephanie Osborne
05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I hope you gals don't mind me jumping in here.

I am 24 (about to be 25) and running for the first time. Running is the hardest thing I have ever done, and usually those things that are hard for me to do are the ones that will help me the most - I am always up for a challenge. I am on wk3d3 of the couch to 5k program from coolrunning.com. Everytime I run I can feel my body getting more accustomed to it and my endurance building.

That being said nice to meet you all :)

Ilene
05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey :wave: Stephie :welcome: ..... Glad to see you're enjoying the running as much as the rest of us :D

Sushi Penguin
05-12-2006, 09:06 AM
I haven't ran since I last posted... I got a temp job and somehow slacked off on exercise over the last few days. But I'm going for a run tomorrow morning, and hopefully there will be no nasty stitches this time! Looking forward to it. :)

lizzbabe
05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
I haven't posted in awhile but I have my first 10-k coming up next weekend so wish me luck. I did 4.75 miles on the treadmill this morning and will do a longer run on Sunday to prepare. I don't plan on placing anywhere near the top, just finishing will be a good goal.

eadavenp
05-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I have my 5k on saturday. I havent done a very good job of preparing, and as such, my goal is to finish in under 45 minutes (basically as long as i don't walk the entire thing, i should be ok). I have had some emotional issues get in the way and i look forward to getting my head on straight, getting into a routine, and then signing up for another race to see what i can do!

Only Me
05-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Anne, I think it's all pretty normal. Your baby's still pretty young and you have a lot on your plate. Once they hit 2 or 3, the sleep deprivation thing does seem to ease up, but you get a whole new set of challenges. My youngest is about 2.5 and I feel like I actually get enough sleep most of the time now. Although dh did sent the cheques to the wrong oil company last month (he changed suppliers last year) (luckily they mailed them back instead of cashing them!), so maybe I've just transfered the total exhaustion to him. Good luck again this weekend!

Liz, good luck with your 10k race. You'll do fine. You've got lots of race experience, this one is just a bit longer.

eadavenp, good luck with your 5k. I hope you meet your goal and surprise yourself.

Day off for me today, after 10k tuesday and 5.5k with my dds in a double stroller yesterday. I think my legs have finally recovered from the race and my arms have recovered from shovelling soil and spreading it all over the yard. Up for this weekend, a 10k run at marathon pace, a 16k long run, and planting grass seed in my backyard.

iowasteph2
05-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Anne--too funny! I hope your back into the swing of things soon! I have brain "lapses" every once in a while too!

I jogged 30 minutes today on the indoor track. It's not too bad, as far as indoor tracks are concerned. It's 5.5 laps for a mile. I'd rather be outside, but it served it's purpose. It's so incredibly windy outside that I could hardly walk to my car let alone go running! lol

Have a good weekend.

AnneWonders
05-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I had a great run this morning 1.6 miles at an 11:15 min/mile pace, then a little walk break and the last half mile just a touch faster. Tomorrow is my splash n dash so today was 'easy'.

Everyone is racing! Liz, good luck on that 10K. eadavenp, I know you're going to do just fine with your 5K.

Happy running everyone.

Anne

Ilene
05-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Anne, I read somewhere that it's very normal to have memory problems the first year or so after having a baby. It is hormonal and sleep deprivation...

I had a very good run yesterday, we did 10k... I finally gave in and wore goggles to run :rolleyes:... I have VERY VERY sensitive eyes to dust and light due to some eye problems, plus I wear gas permeable rigid contact lenses to help correct my eye problem. I wear wrap around sport sunglasses 99% of the time, rain or shine outside. During the last couple of runs the wind had been sooooo strong that I could barely open my eyes even with my good sunglasses, so I broke down and wore my sports goggles... No one noticed until I mentionned it because I was wearing a baseball cap... I made my run 100% more pleasant. Nothing like running with one eye closed and one eye running streams of tears :rolleyes: to really put a damper on a good run... So I'm going to wear them from now on specially on windy days....

AnneWonders
05-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks Ilene. I'm hoping it passes and making lots of notes to myself in the meantime.

I did my Splash n Dash today. Swam 750 m in 19:45 s, not a great time but since it was my first time in a wetsuit in 2 years, I'll take it. I had a quick 3 min transition and then out to the 4K run. It was 2 out and backs, 1K each way, with a water station at each end. I ran hard, walked at the water stations to get some fluids in, and then had one little walk break near the end, since my HR was sky high and I was feeling, well, BAD. But I did the run in 30m3s, which works out to just about 12 min/mile.

Now I am tired, but have to run to a baby shower. Ah well.

Anne

Makeje
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have been running for 14 years.

Yesterday I ran 3 miles and today 3.5.

I run four days a week: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have been lifting light weights and yoga.

I find if I try to run more days in the week I don't enjoy running it is more like work.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Mother's Day!

Only Me
05-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Congratulations Anne! It sounds like you had a good race.

I managed my 10k at pace today, but only ran 14.5k this afternoon instead of 16. It was 21C/70F, sunny and windy. I didn't think to bring any water (or money to buy water) with me since I'm so used to running in the morning and in much cooler weather. I was wishing I'd brought water by about 4k. I did stop at a water fountain around 10k, but I found it uncomfortably hot most of the time. I know that's not hot for a lot of you, but I'm used to running at 10C or less and I only keep my house around 17C most of the winter, so 20/70 and sun is HOT for me right now.

Hi Makeje. Welcome!

Ilene, I can relate to the windy days. This afternoon it was "only" 35kmh with gusts to 45. I'm so used to it that it only felt a little windy and I enjoyed the breeze! I'm lucky not to have to deal with allergies though. The googles are a great idea.

AnneWonders
05-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Wow, 3 whole days and no posts! I hope everyone is still running. Welcome Makeje! Only Me, I think 70 is hot as well, and I live in the desert. Last night was overcast for us, holding in the heat, and this morning's run was at about 80 for me. Ouch.

I ran an easy 2 miles today, lots of walk breaks, and I really enjoyed it. This is an easy week in my training plan, since I've had 3 high volume weeks and I'm enjoying the recovery. After the run (with dog #1) I took dog #2 for a walk around the 'block'.

I've been frustrated with my running lately. I ran my marathon right before DD was conceived and since she was born it has just seemed such a struggle to get back in shape especially as far as running goes--swimming is already better than before, and biking is close. But when I was on my beautiful easy dog block walk this morning I had some time to reflect. When I began my new life in Dec 2002, weighing every bit of 275 and then some, I couldn't even do that little walk without serious effort. Now, as I 'struggle' with my running, I do that little walk as a cooldown to a 2 miler on an easy week without thinking about it. I'm going to keep struggling with my running, but this morning's change in perspective has a big smile on my face.

Keep going everyone. Keep picking 'em up, and somehow you'll find a way to put 'em down!

Anne

YP1
05-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Hello! I've been on holiday then in a complete contrast manically busy at work. I've recorded over 30 chargeable hours in the past three days :o

BUT I've just about managed to get some runs in. I had to pull out of a charity 5k I planned to do this evening, but I ran before work on Monday and I ran 5 miles into work this morning to get some miles under my belt after my holiday. I'm not a big fan of running into work because I don't like carrying the extra weight of clothes, food and files, but needs must. I actually like running when I'm really busy because it gives me me time away from the office.

WaterRat
05-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Anne, I was thinking of you last night. NBC news is running a series on sleep and last night's emphasis was on how much we depend on sleep for memory! I was at the gym cranking away on the elliptical when I saw it come on. I changed my earphones over to the cardio theatre (from my audiobook) to listen. It kept me moving too, as the sound only works while you're moving! :) I like your change in perspective! I'm working to get back to that. I can now easily walk the 3.5 loop I used to run. My airm is reduce the time. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to run for much distance again as every time I try my knees take days to recover. Maybe when the weight is back down?

YP1
05-21-2006, 05:04 AM
I've just been out for a 9.7 mile run. My running has felt a bit awkward this week, like I've not quite been getting into my stride properly, and I've been struggling with getting past the half hour mark after a week off while I was in Spain. I was really pleased that I managed to run the whole distance, and even though I ran it slower than I tend to run that sort of distance I was still inside my target of 45 - 90 seconds per mile slower than target marathon pace. Hopefully next week I can start getting back into my routine with a bit more structure and consistency.

lizzbabe
05-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Helen, I LOVE your new picture. You look so great!

I finished my first 10-k yesterday with a time of 53:59. Not too bad I though since my goal was under an hour. I am planning on another next month. The funniest part was my friend who was signed up for the 5k but missed a turn and ended up running 10k instead...LOL the furthest he had ever run before was 3.5 miles but he did the full 10k!

YP1
05-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Well done on the 10k, and for beating your goal by so much. That's a fantastic run!

Only Me
05-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Liz, great job beating your goal for your first 10k!

I had a terrible 20k run yesterday, which was supposed to be 22k, but I cut it a bit short because I was feeling awful. This afternoon I had a much better 6k easy run though. I guess Saturday just wasn't my day. 10-12k at marathon pace planned for tomorrow.

Ilene
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Liz, that's great time -- I hope to do as well next week in my 10k, but I doubt it... I'm hopping to do it under an hour also... I just hope it's not too hot out, if it is I'm screwed :lol:

Lucky13
05-22-2006, 02:10 PM
ran 5 on Saturday and walked another 1.5 = 6.5 mi

ran 4.5 on Sunday and walked another 1.5 = 6 mi

my goal is to do some sort of cardio (run and/or walk) every day this week...time to get back into things :)

Nice pic Helen!

way to go on your 10K Lizz!

have a great week!

softballmom
05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Hello all. I have been lurking around 3FC since about March, mostly in Calorie Counters, and joined up last week to enjoy the full benefit of sharing and receiving. I got a lot of good information, tips, and even silent encouragement so far from the different forums. I am about half way to weight goal, but I want to experience a more healthy AND active lifestyle henceforth. I've never been that athletic and hated PE as a child. I was pretty lucky that I burned off my calories just playing like a normal kid. Then my first child was born and my weight became a struggle. I did lose all my pregnancy weight when my second was two, but I never committed to the second part of weight control: exercise; thus gaining it all back and much more. So it's time to make a commitment to the WHOLE healthy lifestyle.

I love to walk and for the last few weeks have even kicked in a little jog/run between my walk laps. I am finding that I am really enjoying getting the heart rate up more and feeling the burn. I read in a couple of the earlier posts about "Couch to 5k" and Cool Runnings. Could someone shed some light on this, as I'm interested.

iowasteph2
05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi!! Well, I tried to go running for 30 minutes, but I only made it 20. I just wasn't meant to be today, I guess. I had a headache when I started out, and it certainly didn't help it to run. (Sigh.) It was a beautiful day though, so I continued to walk. I probably walked 2.5 miles or so.

Softballmom--I'm a graduate of the Couch to 5k! I don't know if it's allowable to post the link on these boards, but I think if you google it, you'll find it for sure. There are a few different Couch to 5k programs out there, but I did the one by Cool Runnings. It was a great help to me. The program progresses with intervals of mostly walking to intervals of mostly jogging. At the end, you're up to jogging for 30 minutes. It's completely invigorating to get to the finish.

Ilene
05-22-2006, 11:59 PM
softballmom -- It's about time you got out of lurkdom!! :welcome3: ...

Ilene
05-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Oops, forgot to post my own running for today... did a quicky 5k this morning with a girl from the running group... went to the gym for legs :strong: ... This afternoon DD got the urge to go running so we did a walk and jog around the track 4 times/1 mile, I was proud of her for just getting out there and running and just getting some fresh air, she's only 15......

bit
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm trying to start a running plan and plan to enter a 5k race sometime around the 4th of July. I don't run much (okay.. at all) but I think it may be a good plan for me..

We'll see..

softballmom
05-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Iowasteph2 - thanks for the advice. I did find their website and bookmarked it for more returns.

Ilene - thanks for your welcome. You are one of my mentors from reading other posts throughout 3FC.

I know that exercise must become a habit, and it would help to be enjoyable. I've started out slow with walking, now up to 3 miles, but I'm not consistent on a daily basis. Even if I got out there for 15-20 minutes, I think that would help me to become more consistent and form a habit. Maybe a Couch to 5K will "train" me to do the running correctly and push a habit. We'll see and keep you posted for accountability.

Thanks again!

YP1
05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
I did a quick-ish 5k on the treadmill this morning. I had to wait ages for one to come free though which really :censored: me off. Tomorrow I'm doing about 5 and a half miles outside though (weather permitting) so no such worries!

Ilene
05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Very nice run outside today 7.73k...

AnneWonders
05-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi Softballmom. One of the ways I stay motivated and consistent is to always have a race of some sort on my calendar. I'm pretty much middle to back of the pack, but it gets me out the door on the days I just don't feel like it. Bit, good luck with your race.

Ilene, good for you and DD! Are you feeling better about running these days? You always seem to be making such progress from this end.

Liz, awesome job on the race! Helen, where are you? I'm always feeling like you are running circles around me, and I need to get my butt in gear to catch up. Great new pic, BTW!

Well, my rest week is over and I'm getting back to it. But I have a new head cold coming on (DD is a human petri dish for these things she brings home from day care!). But I decided to give my workout a shot, and I made it two miles on the treadmill and then I was just DONE. Couldn't even do more walking after that. So more rest for me. Sigh.

Anne

Ilene
05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
IowaSteph -- Running or doing anything with a headache, to me, is just impossiblel... At least you tried and made it to 20 mins...

:welcome: bit, you can do it, just try one baby step at a time...

Anne, I am doing fine these days, thanks for asking, my mind set seems to be out of it's slump :D... THANK goodness :lol:... Hope you're feeling better soon, how I remember those sick days with the kids, one got it, then the other, then NEXT :faint: such fun that I miss ... NOT!! :lol:

Stephanie Osborne
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Week 4 Day 1 of the couch to 5k. I was sooooo winded. I had to keep repeating to myself You are a runner...you are a runner...didn't know you all belonged to such an elite group did ya? Something about finishing the training session though...after it being pretty much the hardest thing I have ever done just gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Do you all run and listen to music? I usually do, yesterday I didn't. Although I was able to focus more on my breathing I found myself keeping track of the time too much.

iowasteph - At least you made it 20...some is better than none right?

bit - I am new to running too. I am doing the couch to 5k program on coolrunning.com It takes about 8 weeks to complete if you don't repeat any of the weeks. It is pretty good...

softballmom - Running for me is such a mental thing. I think I can only run a certain amount...the couch to 5k trains your mind and your body to run a little more each week.

Helen - Love your avatar!

anne - rest up! Good idea about always having a race scheduled for motivation.

AnneWonders
05-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I will not, do not, cannot listen to music when I'm running on roads. It is just too dangerous to lose a sense when there are cars about. But on a treadmill or a running path, it comes down to whatever works best. Personally, I like the quiet and concentration of running without music when I'm outside. But on a treadmill, anything to make it pass faster.

I HATE treadmills. Makes me realize how much I love to run that I'm considering getting one for the house--DD's schedule sometimes makes running outside in less than 100 degree heat impossible.

Anne

YP1
05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I always tend to listen to music, but I vary the volume depending where I am. The place it's actually worst (but the music doesn't make much difference) is on a canal towpath I run on - it's used by cyclists and runners mainly, and the cyclists can come up on you very quietly from behind and give you quite a shock sometimes!

I got 2 runs in today. My marathon schedule called for 5 miles today and 3 tomorrow, but I know that I'm not going to be able to fit a run in tomorrow or most likely Friday. So I did my 5 miler on the treadmill before work, waited 12 hours and then did my 3 miles this evening. It wouldn't have been a major loss if I'd skipped the second, but I've been a bit piggy with my eating today anyway so felt like I should really get out there! I actually enjoyed it anyway, and my legs had plenty of energy left in them to get me round.

iowasteph2
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Helen, You're doing wondeful! I checked out your blog, and I'm so impressed!

Well, ladies, I have a question for you-- I just got in from a 30 minute jog. I went at 7:00pm in Iowa (so it's not like I'm in the desert or anything), but I got so incredibly hot. I was absolutely drenched with sweat. Okay, sorry, that's probably too much information!! But anyway, this is my first summer running, and I'm really worrying whether I'll be able to tolerate the heat. It's only May, and I felt like I was melting! I'm going to try to wake up early tomorrow morning and run before work. I'm going to try to sleep in my exercise clothes to help me get my butt out of bed.

Besides avoiding the hottest parts of the day, do you have any other advice for exercise in the heat?

Have a good night!! Keep it up, everybody!!

Only Me
05-24-2006, 10:30 PM
stephie, great job on starting week 4. If you're getting really winded while running, slow down a bit. Your running intervals are only going to keep getting longer as the program progresses. I don't listen to music while I run. I like to be able to hear cars/bikes around me, and I like quiet time to think. With 3 kids (7, 4, 2), it's sometimes the only quiet time I get in a day (although if I'm stuck pushing the younger 2 in a stroller, I don't even get quiet then). If I ran on a treadmill, I might change my mind.

Anne, I hope you're feeling better soon. We have a cold going around our house too. Yesterday my 4 year old spent the morning laying on the couch, occaisionally turning from the tv to ask me to make her nose stop running. Last week it was dh and ds. I'm sure the 2 yo and I are next in line.

Steph, I don't like the heat either. Things that helped me last summer: running in the morning, taking shadier routes, running on breezy days. Take heart though, you will start to acclimatize to it somewhat. Currently I find temps in the low 60s too warm for running, but by mid-July I'll be happy and find it refreshing if mornings are that cool. Take water with you even on shorter runs in the heat; if you fill a water bottle part way up and freeze it, you can top it up before you head out and have cold water for your run, along with a nice cold bottle to hold.

This morning I ran 11k with 8 strides (20 seconds hard, 40 seconds easy) thrown in. Tomorrow should be an easy 8k.

Ilene
05-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Steph, I feel your pain I have a very difficult time with heat too :faint: Last summer I ran on the dreadmill on very hot days, or early in the morning by the river... On extremely hot days I would get up really early run at 6 or 7am come home and go back to bed :lol:, this was on weekends though ... because sometimes even running at 8am is too late... Also dress in the new dry weave clothing it wicks away the sweat nicely ...

Today we had a good 30 min hill run, our last run before the 10k race on Saturday in Ottawa...

Stephanie Osborne
05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
I tend to either run on a treadmill or an enclosed track (like a high school track, or the gym) Usually safety is not an issue. I could see how it would be important to be able to hear the things around you if you were running in suburbia or the city though. I bought some running shorts to reward myself for sticking to it after Tuesday.

As for my being winded, I feel like I am running slow...but I really do not know. Maybe I will try taking it even slower today and see how it feels. Your right those weeks will keep on a comin and adding more and more minutes/running with each one.

echocreek
05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I might have been going too fast? When I went out this morning there were black clouds on the horizon so I tried to go a little faster than I normally do. Then when it started to drizzle I went a little faster so I wouldnt get poured on. Then I began to get sick to my stomach. Once I had a shower and got ready for work, I felt ok. Is that something that is normal if you go too fast too quickly?

YP1
05-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I did 5 miles at marathon pace this morning, but got a horrible case of runner's trots midway through. I'd never had this before, but today and last Saturday has been the same thing both times, after about 4k. Last week I thought it was because I ran too soon after eating, but today I ran as soon as I got up, before breakfast.

YP1
05-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Just under 7 miles this morning .

Only Me
05-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I ran just over 26k yesterday morning, my longest distance yet. Then this morning I got up early and ran a slow, easy 6k. My legs started out pretty stiff and sore, but were feeling much better by the time I finished. Next week will be a cutback week for my long run. I'm hoping to run a 5k or 10k race next Saturday though.

midwife
05-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Ya'll's mileage is impressive! I ran 3 miles yesterday (my first time running in about a month, although I have been doing other cardio activities) and I loved it so much. Makes me wonder why I don't do it more often. Anyway, I have my eye on a half-marathon in October and I was wondering if anyone has some training tips?

YP1
05-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Midwife - just build up slowly and steadily, you've got plenty of time so you don't need to push yourself up to 13 miles too fast. And do your long runs slowly, if you want to work on getting faster do it on your short runs not your long ones.

I did just under 7 miles again this morning, making the most of the bank holiday. I felt a lot better than I did on my similar distance run yesterday, which is good. I'm trying to front load my long runs this week in case work goes mad again, but also because I'm running a half marathon on Sunday so I want a couple of days of rest/3 milers towards the end of the week.

midwife
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Should I build up to one or two "long runs" a week + a couple of shorter runs? And how much milage should I add? Sorry if these are dumb questions. And if you have a source where I can just look up the answers, that would be great, too.
Thanks!

YP1
05-29-2006, 04:40 PM
I would do one long run per week and one or two vaguely long runs - at the moment I'm doing two three milers, two at around 5-6 miles and one long run - although that's building up because I'm in marathon training so I'm not suggesting you jump straight into that!!! It really helps to remember that different sorts of runs help you in different ways - when I started I always wanted to run faster AND longer than I had before, all at the same time, every time I ran. It doesn't work like that. Long runs will help your endurance, and shorter faster runs will help your speed, and they don't necessarily need to be done together (although it can help once in a while). And apart from those you need some genuinely easy runs where you just run, comfortably, without worrying about speed or time or distance too much. It really helps to have something like a half marathon to train for as it can give you the incentive to get out there when your mind is trying to talk you out of it. I used a half marathon training plan from the Runner's World UK website (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk), but I suspect there would be similar plans on the US website or on tons of other running websites out there. When you're starting out you don't necessarily need to be too picky about choosing between plans, they should all get you up to the distance OK so pick the one that looks like it will fit in with your schedule the best. There's time to concentrate on getting faster once you've managed to get the distance.

iowasteph2
05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Whew!! I ran for 30 minutes today. I actually felt good, considering it was 90 degrees!! I would have waited until tonight after it cools down a little, but dh is working, so I wanted to be done with my exercising before he gets home (to spend more time together). I got home and ended up needing 2 showers! I was sweating so much that I know that I was still sweating after I finished my first shower. Isn't that gross?

I'm considering a 5k this weekend. I've never done a race before, and I'm nervous about it. I know that I can finish it, but I don't want to be the last one (isn't that stupid thinking!?)

Midwife, you might want to look at nikerunning.com. I haven't dwelled too much into it, but you can set the date for your race, and it plots the runs out on a calendar for you.

Ilene
05-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Midwife -- Here is a good article from Runners World (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,,s6-51-58-0-1000,00.html)

Ilene
05-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Only me -- YOU amaze me 26k :faint: that's more than a half marathon! And you did that for the fun of it :lol:, you're my hero :yes:

I ran a 10k in Ottawa this weekend, it was very hot and I was disappointed in my time 1:13 :rolleyes:, not so great...

Only Me
05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Ilene, it wasn't entirely "for fun" I'm kinda, sorta, nervously planning on running the local marathon at the end of the summer. I don't envy you running in that heat on Saturday! When the weather's hot and humid, just finishing is an accomplishment; you can't expect to run your best time.

iowasteph, I have only attempted running in 90 degree heat twice. Once was a 5k jog that took me 35+ minutes and was only made bareable from 1k onward by the thought of stopping by the local splash pad to cool off at the end. The other time was a half marathon race where I kept revising my goals downward and ended up with the goal of "finish without collapsing". Anyone who can run in that heat and say that it felt good amazes me!

Helen, wow, another half this weekend! I think you're a bit addicted to racing.

midwife, there are lots of good half marathon programs out there. The programs at halhigdon.com or coolrunning.com seem pretty decent. Generally, a long run (which gradually builds up to at least 10 miles) plus a couple of other shorter runs (30-45 minutes) per week are the minimum for training for a half.

I'm supposed to be having a day off today, but I'm resisting the urge to go out for a half hour easy run since the weather is so nice--sunny, but only mid-high 60s.

Stephanie Osborne
05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I am planning a run for today...it is beautiful out and I can't resist...

only me - wow you are my inspiration lol...I cannot even fathom running 26k

yp - good luck on your half marathon!

iowasteph - running in 90 degree weather, you are committed :) You SHOULD do a 5k...who cares where you place....stealing from nike "Just do it" hehe

YP1
05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I did 5k this morning, but I might not run for a couple of days now - my knee doesn't feel quite right and I don't want to damage it before Sunday. It doesn't hurt as such, but I can feel it when I run and walk and I'm constantly aware of it, in a not quite right sort of way. I'm trying to decide whether it would benefit from some sort of support (probably as well as the rest rather than instead of it, although I'd like to try a short run with the support before Sunday if I go down that route).

midwife
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the links. I had fun poking around and I have a plan! I can do this! Me, a runner? Who would have ever thought it?????

greenrunner123
05-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this thread, but thought I would chime in with some advice since I just ran my first half-marathon at the end of April. I followed a 3 month training schedule where I ran/cross-trained 3-4 miles approx 3 days a week, and then had one long run on the weekends (usually Saturday, so Sunday was my "free" day. Relaxation!). I ran 10 miles three times throughout the three month time period; working up to it and then tapering off about a month before the race.
My weekly mileage looked like this:
week 1: 22.0
week 2: 19.8
week 3: 23.4
week 4: 24.0
week 5: 24.0
week 6: 24.5
week 7: 26.4
week 8: 17.2
week 9: 26.7
week 10: 20.9
week 11: 12.5
week 12: 20.6

I also want to express caution on to take things slow and MAKE SURE you have the right foot wear! I have horrible shin splints right now which has kept me from running for about 3 weeks now :-(. I'm now expanding my routine to include pilates (non-weight bearing exercise) but I can't wait to get back to running!

Good luck and congrats on the efforts on this board!

Miaka
05-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just got back from a three week vacation from Asia! It was amazing. But I wasn't able to keep up with my running during those three weeks. I am going to rest for the rest of this week and pick up running starting next week! Just wanted to drop by and say hi to everyone.

Ilene
05-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Green -- By running 20miles/week you were able to finish a half marathon? That's impressive...

Stephanie Osborne
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok all of you serious runners will probably get a chuckle out of this...

I am so excited (can you tell) I just ran my first mile outside...finished in 10:25. I had never been into running, I would do intervals on the treadmill at the gym and would be dying after like 3 minutes. I started my running program 4 weeks ago and again was interval training. Right now I am up to 5 minute intervals and still getting so tired. Last night I did not have time to do a full training run so I thought why dont I just try to run a mile. I got through it and my legs were awesomely sore after it. I feel so great! This is definitely giving me the motivation to keep going with my training. I haven't run a mile since Junior high! Ok enough celebrating, how are things going with you all?

Helen - Sorry about you knee hun, hope it gets to feeling better.

midwife - That feeling of having a plan is just awesome...I would not have even been able to run 3 minutes were it not for my plan pushing me harder each week.

green runner - congrats on your plan, looks great . A little advanced for me right now but I will keep it in mind for the future.

miaka - Hey :) I bet your trip was amazing, where in Asia were you?

Ilene
05-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Stephie -- I am not that much of a serious runner and I would NEVER laugh at anyone starting, because we ALL started at the very same point where you are now...

It's very hot here, so I jogged the dreadmill at the gym, 5k...

YP1
05-31-2006, 03:04 PM
My knee felt a lot better today, so I did 30 minutes on the treadmill (5.7k). It felt a bit funny at the end, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. I wasn't intending to run after today anyway, so I'll leave it til Sunday now.

Only Me
05-31-2006, 04:31 PM
I woke up early this morning to pouring rain, rolled over and went back to sleep. The rain cleared up and I managed to get out this morning for 12k before the evil sun/heat/humidity combo hit this afternoon. I also registered myself for the full marathon at the end of August. I must be insane.

greenrunner, I'm sure I averaged less than 20 miles/week when training for my first half.

stephie, great job on your first outdoor mile. I'm hardly going to laugh since it's less than 2 years ago that I started the couch to 5k program myself!

Ilene, so does this mean you might consider a half, maybe in the fall in cooler weather?

Helen, good luck with your half this weekend!

Ilene
05-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Ilene, so does this mean you might consider a half, maybe in the fall in cooler weather?
:lol3: I truly cannot see myself running for 2 straight hours, after about an hour I have it up to my eye balls with running :lol:, but one will never say never... I MAY do a try-a-tri in August, I haven't decided yet... I almost did one today, in reverse order though :lol: I ran 5k on the dreadmill, did some weights, then biked 20k, and tonight I swim... Kinda, sorta, lika triathlon :lol:

echocreek
05-31-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm considering a 5k this weekend. I've never done a race before, and I'm nervous about it. I know that I can finish it, but I don't want to be the last one (isn't that stupid thinking!?)

Iowasteph- I thought the same thing on my first 5k in April, I brought a friend from work with me too, it was SO great when we actually PASSED 2 people! If we can do it, so can you! We didnt come in last, but you know, I didnt even notice who DID come in last, so they probably wouldnt have noticed if we did come in last. Just doing it is an achievment in itself! And you will be SO proud of yourself when its over! I say go for it!

midwife
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Green Runner: That's pretty much the plan I have decided on. Two or three 3 to 4 mile runs, plus a long one, starting at 5 and going up about a half mile each week up to 10 miles for the long run. Wish me luck!

greenrunner123
05-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Sounds like a good plan, midwife! It worked for me (even if I did run with shin splints - I perservered!!). If you're new to running, you may even want to consider cross training a few of those short runs. When I biked, I would just double my mileage to make sure I met my weekly mileage goals (so, I would bike 6 miles, to equal 4 running miles). This was actually a tip from a marathon-runner friend of mine that worked well to keep up my endurance.

You may also want to think about doing some speedwork and/or hills during the week to vary your routine - particularly if you run on the treadmill. This helps add variety. I know it helped me tremendously when I was training in the winter and forced to run inside!

Ilene
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Closing this thread, see you on "Cool Runners #3 June" :wave: