SBD Frequently Asked Questions - What's your P2 Combo?

View Full Version : What's your P2 Combo?

beachgal
05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
It seems like a lot of new SBDers, especially those transitioning from P1 to P2, find it hard to figure out how they'll eat in P2. I know that we always remind people to take it slowly, add one thing a week and see how it goes, and remember to try eating things at different times during the day because they can affect you differently.

That said, I know I've heard of people who find they can't eat fruit, people who can't eat grains (or specific grains), or who can eat tons of both and still lose. Tell us what your combo is for Phase 2! How many servings of fruit can you eat a day and still lose? When can you eat them without causing cravings? How many servings of starch (good carbs) can you have a day? When can you eat them? What do you feel you need to eat everyday to really see good health and weight loss? What do you have to avoid to keep from triggers and off plan eating? How often do you go off plan (in a planned way) and have something non-beachy?

Fill us in...I know we can all learn from each other! :D

Here's mine:

Fruit: I can have one serving of fruit a day...I can usually add a second serving once in a while without messing things up, but if I have two servings every day, my weight stays the same or rises. I cannot have fruit in the morning or I crave all day. As long as I have it at lunch or after and eat protein with it, I'm fine.

Starches (good carbs): I can have one serving of these a day, though like fruit, I can sneak in an extra serving now and then without too much problem. I often have two servings on Sundays as a treat. I've also found that I can ignore (not count) the small bits of starches in things like wheat germ coating on chicken or a little bit of wheat germ in my yogurt, etc. as long as they aren't a full serving. I can have these for breakfast, but it does make it a little harder to not crave during the day. I have to have protein or fat with starches to keep from craving.

I feel healthier and lose more weight when I drink my water every day, eat beans every day (they fill me up and are a comfort food for me), eat a lot of veggies, and eat every three hours. I also strive to get three servings of milk or yogurt a day and get at least one serving by making hot cocoa at night with cocoa powder, SF syrup, and milk.

I have to avoid: anything made with malitol (sets off huge cravings!), the biscuits at Red Lobster, egg nog (can't have it in the house or I'll drink it!), and tortilla chips.

I rarely go off the beach...it's too hard for me to get back on and I have a really hard time dealing with how bad it makes me feel physically. :barf: However, I've gone off when I'm on vacation in another country--I tried sticking to plan in Europe the first time we visited, and I was light-headed from hunger. It was just too difficult. So I try to stick to the tenets of the plan (whole grains, lots of veggies, etc) and have a firm "if there are stairs, take them, if you can walk there, do it" requirement. As long as I do lots of exercising, I don't seem to gain too much. I usually am dying to get back to P1 when I get home after feeling totally out of kilter with all the bad carbs. It's a nice change, though...and I'm glad I've been able to eat regional foods. BTW, Germany is very SBD friendly! They serve meat and cheese at breakfast and have tons of whole grain breads and crackers. Yum! :T

pearshape
05-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I find that I lose more when I stick to one grain and two fruits. Usually I have to eat fruit later in the day. The exception is blueberries with steelcut oats/TVP combo hot cereal. For some reason this combo allows me to lose but not crave sweets or starches during the day. All other fruits and starches have to be consumed later in the day or I crave.

Veggies are a big one too. I don't usually get the 1/2 C with b'fast unless its in scrambled eggs or an omlette but I make it up during the rest of the day. The 4 1/2 C fill me up and make my skin look really good. And, of course, water water water!

Also, I don't lose when I eat a lot of the ricotta desserts. Not sure if it's the ricotta or the splenda but I have to keep it to one a day or none.

cottagebythesea
05-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I can eat all the berries I want all day long, be it strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc, and still lose. I seem to be ok with most other fruits, too, but bananas are the exception. They start BIG cravings, so I try to avoid them. I usually have my fruit with yogurt, and it's very satisfying. I 've discovered that I actually lose more weight when I include fruit in my WOE.

As for grains, I have to use caution with them. If I have them at all, it's usually with breakfast, or I'll have a sweet potato for supper on rare occasions. Grains seem to be my big weight staller. (And this coming from an Italian who used to have pasta every day!)

And it is VERY true, the more veggies I eat, the more weight I lose. I love most every kind of veggie, so it's no problem to have at least 4 1/2 cups a day.

Problem foods for me are peanut butter, ice cream, and chocolate. It's hard for me to stay within the limit with those, so I do my best to avoid them totally!

Barb0522
05-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure exactly how many of each I am eating. I've also been stalled for awhile. My feeling is that I can have as much fruit as I want but I need to eat fewer bananas and watch the starches. I do fine having a little rice occasionally but I need to minimize pasta and breads. I have oatmeal each morning for breakfast with a banana and that seems fine for me.

I do well eating my 4 1/2 cups of veggies a day and getting my water in.

I CANNOT keep chocolate in the house. I will eat it until it is gone.

lotusblossom02
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
i am unsure if i'm stalled or not. i've been to the doc's 3 times in the past 2 weeks. every time i've went i've lost around 3 lbs or so. but at home i'm still the same weight always no matter what. i think it's time to buy a new scale...
i usually have a piece of toast for breakfast with some PB and sugar free jelly and b/w 3 and 6 strawberries. i never have carbs for lunch and for dinner we usually have a sandwich wrap thingy or a piece of bread or a pita etc. that's about it.
i have a very hard time getting my veggies in ...b/c...well i just can't stand em.
the extent of veggies for me: baby spinach, romaine, cucumber, tomatos (and only in small amts b/c i don't really like them), and that's about it...we eat broccoli and cauliflower on occasion but not that much.
i always have at least 100 oz of water a day (i'm a fiend).
what can i not keep in the house..hmm....nothing really. i don't really get too many cravings...i guess prolly french fries. (i've been having awful cravings for them too the past week or so...i'm dying lol).

Bunnababy
05-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I just started P2 and I ate some whole grain bread and did fine with that. Had it later in the day. I also have some fresh strawberries which I will have later today with yogurt for a snack and see how I do. I love raspberries.

I am finding that I have gotten sloppy with water and 4 1/2 cups of veggies. So going to keep close track of that for a few days.

GinaG
05-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I try to stick to one starch and one fruit a day. I usually have the starch in the morning and the fruit as the afternoon snack unless the kids are having pizza that night then I save my starch for SB pizza (YUM!!) I find my weightloss slowed down, but didn't stall. Also If I cheat bad one day which I have done I go back to P1 for a few days to a week so when I weigh evey week I at least see a 1 pound weightloss.

MsCrockett
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
I can eat all kinds of fruit, and I do well.. I can eat 2 bannanas a day, 2 cups of strawberries and 4 apples and still report a weekly loss.. I dont eat much bread, I dont want it.. but when I do I will make a sandwich.. I make spaghetti and eat it as well. and No bake cookies..
Trigger foods is Peanut butter and celery.. cant do it at all.. I cant dring sprite zero either,,

vegetables.. I just dont get enough.. I eat a lot of green beans, tomotoes, cucumbers. and lettuce..
I drink a lot of water each day.. ALOT

beachgal
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM
It's so good to hear about what everyone's doing! :D Isn't it interesting how different our bodies are? :chin:

Trust me, I was the biggest non-vegetable eater on the planet before I started SBD!!! :rolleyes: I thought that veggies consisted of corn, potatoes, bell peppers, and onions. On a rare occasion, I might eat a tiny bit of zucchini or celery. That was it. Not very healthy, eh?

When I started SBD, I realized, pretty quickly, that not only would I be fairly hungry if I didn't eat veggies, but that I was trying to make a change for better health, not just weight loss. I started doing everything I could to make myself eat veggies. At first, I'd try adding the veggies to something I loved (like broccoli chopped into teeny-tiny bits and added to the Taco Bake). Then I'd try it alone, but with something I enjoyed, like cheese or an SBD dressing that I liked. Sometimes I literally (I'm not kidding!) had to pinch my nose shut and just swallow! :lol: I would drink diet soda in between bites to take away the taste, and save these experiences for the times when I had a starch...I felt less upset knowing I could have a sweet potato, couscous, or a piece of WW bread after eating all those veggies.

After a while, I started enjoying veggies! :faint: I'm not sure how it happened, though I know it was very gradual. I got to the point where I could actually enjoy broccoli, steamed, with just lemon juice squeezed over it! I was shocked (so was my mother... :lol: )! I keep looking for new veggies and trying them, and I've liked almost everything. I still hate lima beans and brussel sprouts (though I can eat the latter if it's cooked in a really great way and is combined with lots of other things). But now I regularly eat broccoli (I think it's sweet!), carrots, mushrooms, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, peas (the snow pea kind, not the little green balls...), green beans (another new fave!), and more. I feel better, and I actually enjoy the veggies now.

Keep looking for veggies you like, chicks. You'll figure it out...in the meantime, maybe we should start a thread on different veggies to try? I know I'm always looking for new ideas... :idea:

lotusblossom02
05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
i have a very hard problem finding ways to eat them that i enjoy. some of the recipes on the forum are good (that zucchini bake thing) but others just produce even nastier tasting veggies than before. lol (no offence to anyone...)
a thread w/veggies only would be wonderful (and maybe suggestions on how to cook...? dk if that would be appt. or not).

SunLit
05-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I do much better with fruit than grains -- having cut out sugars, fruits are sweet as candy and it's like satisfying a craving. I can eat up to 3 servings a day, but usually stick to 2. My typical snack is a fruit and a piece of cheese, but I should really be having veggies with cheese.

And, honestly, I rarely eat grains. I might have a slice of toast or some Triscuits once a week. Maybe a SBD bar. Sometimes, when I don't burn the crap out of it, I have brown rice. But it's so much easier just to eat veggies and protein for dinner.

It's so funny, the way you described the way you used to eat veggies, that's how I eat beans. I really dislike them, but know they're pretty good for me. I can eat them with chili, though. Amy's Organic Black Bean Chili is great, especially with ground turkey mixed in.

sarahyu
05-05-2006, 09:26 AM
I do best when I'm dilligent about getting my 4.5 cups of veggies, 64 oz of water in addition to what ever else I'm drinking.

I do better with non-wheat based starches-brown rice, bulghar, sweet potatoes in moderation, oat groats. For some reason breads even nice healthy whole grain ones tend to trigger cravings for me. There are a couple exceptions I've learned: The high fiber wraps are ok if I stuff them full of healthy ingredients and All Bran with extra fiber cereal-oh my gosh, (I'm turning into my parents) It has 13g of fiber in 1/3 cup and 50 calories. I tend to eat 1 cup for breakfast with some berries and get a whopping 39+ g of fiber. Never have to worry about regularity again. Oh, I didn't start out eating a cup a day. That's too much for your intestines to handle-you have to build up to it. Start out with one serving.

I eat one vegetarian meal a day most days-using either tofu/soy products or beans.

Fruit-I can eat most berries, apples, oranges and persimmons without any problems. When I was losing weight I would eat just 1, but now I tend to get in 2-3 servings of fruit a day. Bananas are a trigger food for me.

This is what has worked for me. I also have not lost any weight in 2 years but I haven't gained any either. (I tend to have a few too many treats through the week.:o )
Sarah

samra1962
05-08-2006, 08:55 AM
You guys all have the best suggestions! I am really scared to move to P2! I finished 2 weeks and lost 8.5 lbs but I was contemplating doing another week of P1 because i am so afraid to try P2 and possibly gain. What did you guys all do? Any suggestions will really help. Also I bought low carb pitas- they are 4 carbs a piece- "Joseph's" brand- maybe I should start slowly and add these? Have a great Monday and I look forward to any or all suggestions! This website has helped me out so much:) ~~Susan~~

Barb0522
05-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Two weeks is the length of time that most of us do on Phase 2. There is a discussion in the Frequently Asked Question section on this.

Are the pitas made with Whole Wheat? It isn't the amount of carbs that are important on South Beach. It is what the ingredients are.

smokepole
05-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Yup, my week to start the next phase too! I've only lost 3 lbs though. I'm going to start tomorrow by adding Oatmeal at bkfast instead of eggs.

I do have one question though. I know the suggestions are to add one item at a time. Is that one a week? If I eat oatmeal for 3 days and continue to lose can I add a fruit? Just wondered. I've ordered my SB books, but they haven't arrived yet.

samra1962
05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Barb- the first ingredient listed is whole wheat- so is that okay? I am guessing yes. Thanks for the feedback;)

Barb0522
05-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Should be okay as long as the second ingredient isn't enriched flour or white flour.

It is recommended that you just add the same one for a week so you know how you react to it. I would think you would have an idea after three days. You might want to start with berries rather than a higher glycemic fruit. Remember many people have problems with bananas (which used to not be allowed at all).

barbie40
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
You guys are great!! I was on another thread but was looking around and you have the answers I need and the help I am looking for I started phase 1 April 10 and have lost almost 10 pounds and I am very happy about that but I have not lost any thing in the last 2 weeks and am having trouble transitioning to phase 2. I too am afraid that I will gain. I also hve 10-12 more pounds to lose and I find myself wanting to start p1 again just for the results. I know that it is not the right thing to do so please help!!! I do want to lose more. I have restarted my walking program and hoping to start my weights this week too. Any suggestions!?? You are guys are so supportive and knowledgeable thanks.

Barb0522
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi, Barbie! Some of us will tell you that the last 10 or so pounds is the hardest. I sure can! Why don't you post your menu for a day or so and ask for suggestions? Sometimes it is as simple as too many nuts or not enough vegetables. Are you drinking enough water?

barbie40
05-09-2006, 01:25 AM
First hing I have to say, you have done fabulous!!!!!!
I think I will post a feww days menus up see the feed back. I also think I have been a little weak in the water area. I think I eat the 4 1/2 cups veggies but like I said I think posting my menus amy help. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mondday May 8 menu 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites, 1 tblsp olive oil,

1 cup mushrooms, 1/2 cup red pepper, 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 ounce LF cheese, 1cup veggie juice

snack 1 cheese string

Lunch 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese, 1 large tomato, 1 cup cucumber,1/2 cup red pepper 1/2 cup milk

snack tomato

4 cups spinach, 1/2 cup tomatoe. 6 olives, 12 almonds, 3 egg whites, 1 tblsp oil vinegar dressing, 2oz ham

dessert 1 ff sf yougurt 1 chesse string

10 cups h2o

that today done.

Thnaks for the support. hope all of you have a great day tomorrow.

BArbie

Barb0522
05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Your menu looks pretty good to me. Maybe you should be drinking milk but it does look like you are getting your calcium from yogurt and cheese. You do have lots of veggies. It looks like a phase 1 menu though. Where are your fruits and grains?

barbie40
05-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Tuesdays menu May 9

same as yesterday

snack 1/2 cup milk 1 cup raspberries

lunch salad chicken breast oil vinegar dressing

snack cheese string celery

turky breast 1/2 cup brown rice salad snow peas

1 blueberry muffin(not on Plan)

10 cups h2o

Yes you are right It was like a p1 menu, I was still leary about adding in fear of gaining. Started to add today though as you can see!!! I did weigh in this am and I finaaly lost 1 1/2 pounds!! I guess patients plays a big part too. I am exercising now too. so I hope it wwill all fall togetherr. I have never been on a plan was so easy to follow and one that I don't get hungry or feel deprived.

I also love this site because of all you people and the suport in over whelming. Thanks

I have a question, after I ate the muffin which was made of white flour, I came down with a nasty headache. could it be from the white flour or was it just a coincidence? I have not had white flour foor a month so It is just a thought. Or could it be the sugar in the muffin?

barbie40
05-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Wednesday menu

2 spinach quiche cups to go, 1 cup veggie juice 1/2 cup mixed berries

1/2 cup cottage cheese tomatoes

salad, oil vinegar dressing tomatoe, cucumbers, peppers, tuna 1 slice 12 grain bread, 1 cup milk

yoghurt ffsf

chicken beans celery, peppers tomatoes 1/2 c guacamola

1/2 cup berries 1/2 cup plain yoghurt

thats the plan for the day I will update it if it changes.

Barb0522
05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Your menu does look better now. I don't get headaches from regular flour or sugar but I believe I have heard of some who did get headaches from sugar.

Congratulations on the loss!

beachgal
05-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Barbie, I have always gotten vicious headaches, dizziness, nausea, and all sorts of awful feelings from eating sugar or white flour after being off it. That's, IMHO, an indication of how awful those things are for your system...they really are a shock to your system and make your blood sugar plunge. Watch yourself for the next few days...if you start craving, do P1 until the cravings go away.

With P2, you need to be careful to add just one thing at a time because if you add two (like the fruit and the brown rice on your Tues. menu), and you have cravings or gain, you won't know which one did it. So add one thing at a time, and wait a while...a week works well...to make sure that you really can see how it affects you. If it goes well, then add another thing (just one more) to the menu for the next week, and so on. It took me three weeks to figure out my combo. If you cheat while doing this, you're going to have a harder time...you won't know if gains or cravings come from the cheat or from the thing you're adding...so do your best not to do that, okay? Once you know what your combo is, a cheat here and there won't ruin you...especially if you plan ahead for it, okay? :D

The last ten pounds can be very difficult to lose...they come off very slowly. Exercise will help, but watch your calories and make sure you are getting AT LEAST 1200, okay? If you get less, your body goes into starvation mode and clings tenaciously to your fat. You don't want that! ;)

:hug: Barb...thanks for your wonderful wisdom and willingness to share with others! :bravo:

barbie40
05-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all the pointers. I will be more careful on the adding of new things, I do have the gi diet books and they have a lot of good recipes too. But I know now to add one thing at a time. I haven't had any cravings Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also am trying to do the exercise and eat the proper a mount of calories.
I really waaant to do this and make it a lifestyle forever and I fell I can live like this it is so doable. Thnks for all your help. Today was an ok day but I know I didn't eat enough because it was a run around day and I didn't want o eat the bad foods so I waited until I got home, and missed two meals so that wsa bad and I hate it when that happens but I will take something with me next time, it wasn't expected today so I wasn't prepared.

Better run now. thanks for listening

beachgal
05-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Barbie, I know it can be hard to plan for unexpected crazy days. I try to keep a package of soy nuts in my car...they don't go bad and have lots of protein. Veggies are harder to keep in your car just in case. ;) But if you start learning where you can get decent veggies on the road, that can help. Wendy's has some great salads that are SBD friendly (Barb can tell you exactly what they are, I believe...or you can check the SBD book on eating out). I also have a great salad bar take out at a local grocery. They have a tomato and mozzerella salad that is SBD friendly along with the usual salad offerings. You can often find carrot and celery sticks at groceries or even, sometimes, at convenience stores.

Barb0522
05-12-2006, 10:26 AM
The Fast Food guide that I posted in the Frequently Asked forum has lots of suggestions on eating out. There is also a new South Beach Dining Out guide that is a paperback you can buy. Personally I try not to eat out often and tend to make a small Wendy's chili and a side salad my emergency meal of choice (although the dining out guide lists the chili as phase 3, it used to be approved which is why it is listed in the Fast Food guide).

barbie40
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
I will have to tryt he soy nuts. In my town the only fast food we have is mcdonalds and subway for choices.I try not to eat out to often. But I think I will carry a little cooler bag with a cold pack and put vegies in there. I find I did not feel as good on those days. I have gotten back on track and am very glad for that.

Mothers day has been great today. My husband had to work so we will go out for dinner next weekend. We did a celbration last night when he came home from work(he works 12 hour shifts). So that was nice it was kind of nice not to have to go out for a meal after the messed up couple of days that I had this way I feel more confident and able to stick to my plan again.

Hope you all had a great Mothers day. Take care

lottie63
05-14-2006, 09:06 PM
soy nuts are delicious! :) and subway has great salads! :)

beachgal
05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Yep, soy nuts are often my salvation when I have absolutely nothing with me. I keep a packet in my glove box. :D

What about everyone else...what's your combo??? :write:

CinnabonKiller
08-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I am in Phase two - I just can't help but think that I'm using them too much.:(
Can I have the Kashi Go Lean Cereal, then whole wheat sandwich @ lunch and finish my day off at supper with a Turkey Wrap?

I can't seem to find the straight answer on this. I have really been eating what I think is VERY healthy compared to what I used to eat. And I feel the benefits on a daily basis I just wonder if I could be doing better and if I'm hindering myself because I am not doing phase 2 correctly? Maybe my weigh in should determine this:?:

Are u keeping food journals?

cottagebythesea
08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
CinnabonK, Phase 2 and the amount of carbs your body can handle works differently for everyone. If you are eating a starchy carb at each meal and still losing weight, then your body can handle it. The important thing is to watch your calories, although counting calories isn't a usual part of the SBD. Most of us try to keep our calories around 2500 a day, more or less. A lot of the chicks here also use FitDay.com to track their daily food journal.
Good luck to you, and you are doing great so far! Congratulations! :)

Schmoodle
08-10-2007, 04:57 PM
cottage, did you mean 2500 or 1500? The calculator I used gave 2300 as what I would need to eat to maintain my current weight.

cottagebythesea
08-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Actually, I should have said below 2500 calories, to continue losing weight. You would still lose at eating 2500 calories in a day, but at a much slower pace.

Schmoodle
08-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks cottage, I'm still curious about this and wondering about if the calculator I used was giving me good information - it was just some random one I found online. It gave 2300 calories for maintenance for me, so if I was eating 2500/day, I would be gaining, according to that. What do you think about 1300 - 1500 calories/day, which is what I shoot for, is it too low? Lately, I've been hungrier, so I've been averaging closer to the 1500. I've been doing better with exercise, so that may be why I'm hungry. Also, it seems like 2500/day would be a LOT of food. Do you feel like you are eating a lot?

beachgal
08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
A couple things, just my personal experience:

What you're looking for in your personal combo is one that allows you to lose weight, feel healthy, AND be free from cravings. If you are losing weight but you are craving, you probably won't be losing weight for long...it's hard to refrain from giving in to those powerful cravings! So, CinnabonK, if you can eat what you mentioned, lose weight and be free from cravings (you said you feel healthy, so that's taken care of! :D ), then you are doing fine! If any of those things isn't being met, consider eating either less starches/carbs or eating them at different times during the day. For instance, you might do fine having three servings as long as you have them at a snack, lunch, and dinner...or breakfast, a snack, and lunch. Or you might need to eat only 2 servings. Figuring this out takes time...so don't stress. Just try to track what you're eating and be aware of how you feel.
I didn't count a single calorie for the first 2 years of SBD and I lost over 120 pounds. :shrug: That might not be the normal situation, but I really don't think you need to stress too hard about calories unless you are following all the details of SBD to the tee and are stuck. Then you might want to use Fitday to help you make sense of what's going on with your body.
Eating less than 1300 cals sends your body into starvation mode...but for some people, that number might be higher. I wouldn't try to restrict yourself to 1500 calories unless you've tried several other things first. I was on a pretty restrictive menu in terms of serving sizes and amounts when I finally gave in to counting calories, and I was getting 2200 a day! So I really think you'd have to give up good fats or important protein to get really low, and that's hardly the idea of SBD. I agree with Cottage...under 2500 is a good goal...each person's actual number is different.
As to the online calculators that help measure your basal calorie needs, they are just approximations. There are so many variables that affect your caloric needs that nothing online can ever be totally accurate. But it does give you a general idea. If you are eating that much and you find you're gaining, you might want to take away 100 cals or so and see what happens...if you do this a couple times and still aren't losing, either post your menu here so we can see if something is sneaking in, and/or go see your doctor.
I recently visited my local nutrition clinic and had a test done where they analyze your breath to see what's going on in your body in terms of calorie use, protein use, etc. What they found is that while they would expect someone of my size and activity level to burn at least 1800 calories a day, I was actually burning, on average, 1372. :yikes: I'm 'hypometabolic,' which means that I'm burning less calories than I should. How that works, I don't know! I do know that they have me eating gigantic amounts of protein and doing massive amounts of cardio to get my metabolism back where it belongs. I'm saying this for two reasons--apparently one of the ways this happens is by restricting your calories for a while and then bingeing, then restricting, then bingeing...so try to find a caloric intake you are comfortable with and can maintain rather than going back and forth with an unrealistic one and your need to eat more. Secondly, if you are not losing at a really low caloric level, like anything under 2000, you might want to check with a doctor and find out what's going on. You might be hypometabolic like me, you might have PCOS, insulin resistance, or a thyroid problem. It's definitely worth checking out. :yes:

Hope this helps. I know traveling through P2 can seem scary, but it's really a GREAT place. :D Hope you find it to be that way for you, and soon!

Schmoodle
09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Beachgal, thanks, I needed that input. I re-read my post above from last month about this time, when I was having a hungry week, and realized I had a hungry week again last week. Yup, TOM. So there is definitely a pattern there, and I ate about 1600 calories a day last week. I came up with the 1300 - 1500 calories/day by calculating the calorie deficit from maintenance in order to lose 2 lbs/wk. It's actually worked pretty well, my average loss has been 2.08 lbs/wk since I started SB.
I know you don't have to count calories on SB, that's one of the things that attracted me to the plan. I didn't think I would want to bother. But I wasn't losing at the beginning of Ph1 and somebody here suggested I track on Fitday. Once I got started it quickly became a habit. I think now it's a security blanket and I'm afraid to stop, things have been going so well. I eat if I'm hungry and have only had a little problem with hunger during that week of the month. I'm really having an argument with myself over upping the calories, I had decided to try eating more. Like tonight I planned to have some ricotta cheese, but realized I hadn't logged some nuts I ate earlier. Once I logged them, I was in target range for calories, so I decided to skip the ricotta.
I know you guys know what you are talking about. I think the solution for me may be to quit counting calories, and maybe that way I'll end up eating a little more each day. I just have to convince myself to do it. I don't want this to quit working!

Angeline52
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
You guys all have the best suggestions! I am really scared to move to P2! I finished 2 weeks and lost 8.5 lbs but I was contemplating doing another week of P1 because i am so afraid to try P2 and possibly gain.

I'm the same way - I start P2 tomorrow and just can't figure out how to do it right for me.

Angeline

beachgal
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Angeline, you'll want to read the Phase I Time Limit (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52754)thread. Staying on P1 longer than 2 weeks just isn't a good idea. Starting P2 is very easy. With P2, you need to be careful to add just one thing at a time because if you add two, and you have cravings or gain, you won't know which one did it. So add one thing at a time, and eat that once a day for a while...a week works well...to make sure that you really can see how it affects you. A lot of chicks recommend eating berries as your first thing because they have a really low glycemic index (GI) and are very unlikely to set off cravings. But if you've been really mentally craving something lately (like apples), go for that! If it goes well, then add another thing (just one more) to the menu for the next week, and so on. It took me three weeks to figure out my combo. If you cheat while doing this, you're going to have a harder time...you won't know if gains or cravings come from the cheat or from the thing you're adding...so do your best not to do that, okay? Once you know what your combo is, a cheat here and there won't ruin you...especially if you plan ahead for it, okay?

baristamon
12-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Alright, here's what I do:
Fruit: I have a hard time eating fruit. I like berries (in season) in my mid-morning yogurt. I buy frozen berries, cherries, and peaches for smoothies. I can't really eat a whole apple or banana, so I share them with my 2 year old, who happily takes care of the other half. I usually have to remind myself to eat fruit, unless its summertime and I've bought every fresh berry there is!

Starches: bread is murder for me. I start out slow, with toast or something, and the next thing i know, i'm eating peanut butter and jelly's, 2 pieces of toast, etc... This time around I'm staying away as long as possible. I'm working on winter squashes and sweet potatoes first. also whole wheat pita does not seem to bother me.

I feel healthier and lose more weight when: I avoid excessive alcohol. I really like beer, but when i go a few weeks without having even one, or maybe just one with a meal, I feel better, get more rest, and am able to keep up with cooking and packing lunches, etc. and i tend to lose more. I also feel better when I eat regularly (at least every 3 hours). I never really give up the snacks in phase 2, and that seems to work for me.

I have to avoid: BREAD!!! also chocolate. and nuts - although I can control them pretty well, after a while I just dive in and polish off the can! I really just have to avoid sugar, period. the tiniest taste is enough to do me in.

When i go off the beach: Its for a special occasion. there's also the peer pressure, or a group situation with a special treat (birthday cake, pumpkin pie, etc). I try to stay very conscious of what i've eaten, and pay attention to how it makes me feel. The trick is to not turn "just one bite" into "just one more piece".

Artemis__
01-02-2009, 06:54 AM
This is a great thread topic.
I've been on and off (more off, I'm afraid!) the Beach for about three years now, and just preparing to make another try of it, starting P1 later this month.
When I transitioned from P1 to P2 I found that oats, even the steel cut ones, at breakfast, gave me intense cravings. So bad in fact that both times I ended up falling off plan entirely. If I'd stayed aware of what I was eating I would have realised that eating oats at breakfast doesn't work for me.
This time I AM aware and I plan to continue with my P1 breakfast and eat berries after my lunch.

Bread's a real challenge for me too. Even the very grainy high fibre breads can be risky for me. One small slice of bread leads to me wanting to finish off the whole loaf.

CyndiM
01-02-2009, 07:35 AM
When I first tried adding oats in the morning I had the same problem with cravings. For about 6 months I limited my grains to lunch and dinner, no more than 2 servings. Now I can eat oats in the morning without a problem. I think it just took my body a lot longer to get really cleaned out. The key is adding foods slowly and listening to your body. Sounds like you are ready to give it another chance :)

eta - For me brown rice was the easiest grain to add and the one I used most early on.

Tuca125
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
hello.

Well I have a couple of ?

How many portion of starch do you have in a meal?

I have been get 1 at breakfast (1 slice bread) , 1 at lunch (1/2 cup rice) and 1 at diner (1/2 cup rice). I have been doing Ok losing 1.2 a week since I star phase 2 . Now I am trying 1 more at my mid morning snack ( crackers ).Or can I add 2 servings at dinner (1 cup of rice).

Best time to have fruit?

Well I have try strawberries but I found they give me craving ....I am not a fruit lover but I want to have at least one a day .

Do you eat beans and you Grain together ?

thanks girls....

murphmitch
02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
The most I ever eat is 2-3 grains per day to lose, but everyone is different. Everyone is different with fruit too, but it may help to eat it with some protein or with a meal to prevent cravings. Try apples if strawberries give you problems. If you're still nursing, you can usually eat more than the rest of us and still lose.

siobhanmc
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
So far I've added in one fruit, usually an apple and occasionally a banana. No bread yet, although I will start that next week. Last time I did SB successfully, I did manage to have 3 grains and 3 fruits a day. Not sure if I will reach that level again.

luckontherun
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. I am on the second day of phase 2 and haven't had a carb yet. I have so lost my cravings that it seems like force to get back on them. I am following some advice and will maybe try oatmeal in the morning then I won't have to worry about a carb for the rest of the day. Does this mean the plan worked:^:?? I have never tried life without carbs, but I like it, thus the feet dragging. Lost 7-8 lbs on phase one, what a motivator, as are all of you. Question for those with experience, can I really have that 1/2 c. of Basmati rice, my sister said to ask, we are on the plan together. Also what about corn starch, do I have to be mindful of that. Here's to week three on the Beach:carrot: Lisa

Also I am new, where do I get a ticker?? L

cottagebythesea
05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
:welcome:, Luckontherun! I'm happy you've discovered the beauty of this plan and that it's working so well for you!

To answer your questions; yes, you may have a 1/2 cup serving of basmati rice on Phase 2, but cornstarch is a no-no. You can use arrowroot as a suitable substitute for cornstarch, though.

To get a ticker, you'll have to wait until you have both 20 days and 20 posts.

kcchubbygirl
05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm really happy to be back on the beach, as stated before on other posts (yeah, only 3) is that my BIG MAIL GOAL is to stay on plan rather then look at it as "I gotta lose this weight

So far, I've been alternating between fruit and a whole grain.

This is only my first week on Phase 2, and luckily it's kinda sticking.

luvs_violets
09-04-2010, 06:58 AM
HI I am restarting phase 1 Monday after 5 days of trying out SB The only thing I cheated on was to add strawberries , passionfruit and pineapple . Not much but i needed some fruity things and for 5 days i lost 4 kg

smarkey
02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Just found this thread - can't read through all of it, but would like to revive it because I'm into Phase 2 and am feeling a little stuck. Think my downfall might be too much fruit. It's sweet, so naturally I gravitate to it.

The only grains I've reintroduced are quinoa and brown rice, and I eat those sparingly. Trying to stay away from wheat and other gluten grains.

Love quinoa in the morning with lots of berries, but might need to adjust that to a couple times a week and reduce the fruit. Higher protein breakfasts are definitely a better way to start. Love beans, but don't use them nearly enough. Rarely, actually.