Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - This Week's Healthiest Food - Avocado

LLV
05-03-2006, 12:33 AM
http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PHPSESSID=f82ceb4573c29c3891cf68e93580e 481

Yum! :hun:

veggielover
05-03-2006, 12:53 AM
i used to buy them and place 1 tablespoon mashed on a flour tortilla with a smidgen of tomato sauce and a dash of cheese.... I stopped because those were just really addictive!

pavellina
05-03-2006, 07:26 AM
i love avocado with prawns...and the pink sauce (maio+ketchup and worchester sauce...)but it's so fatty...
and sadly prawns have a lot of colesterol...

LLV
05-03-2006, 06:06 PM
i love avocado with prawns...and the pink sauce (maio+ketchup and worchester sauce...)but it's so fatty...
and sadly prawns have a lot of colesterol...
Yes, but they're very low in fat. Saturated fat is what affects cholesterol levels, moreso than cholesterol found in the food itself.

Read this "shrimpy" article :)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107

WaterRat
05-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I just had some avocado chopped up in my salad for lunch. Yummy. :) I love them, and it's a tasty way to get some "good" fat in your diet. I also like to mash them with salsa for a spread or dip. As long as it's veggies you're dipping it's a great snack.

LLV
05-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I made myself a good 'guacamole' once by mixing mashed avocado and fat-free cottage cheese together and added in some chopped tomato and a few spices to taste. It sounds gross but it was really good :)

HungryMonkey
05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I spread mashed avocado on my sandwiches (turkey or turkey bacon with lettuce and tomato). And because I'm really naughty, I melt cheddar cheese on it! :o

Of course in addition to enhancing all things Mexican, avocado is also really good on eggs. I've even heard of avocado milkshakes (which I'm not daring enough to try!)

shananigans
05-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Sometimes I think avocado season is the only thing that keeps me in crazy Southern California. There’s even an annual avocado festival in Carpentaria that I went to last year, they had avocado everything including ice cream! I love them, but I have to limit myself to 2 when I visit the farmers market every week because they are so high in calories. I like them in my salads, on sandwiches, and I make the best guacamole, just sayin’.

teatree
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, I'd want to go to an avocado festival. I simply love avocados! Sometimes I'm afraid of their fat level, but I remind myself (and it's not hard to, haha) that they're good fats. :)

Canadian_Mickey
05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Do Avacados really have any flavor on their own??? I've had them before and find them rather bland tasting, not much to them....

pavellina
05-05-2006, 06:30 AM
now i want avocado for lunch!
:D
unluckly they're not really really common here, they're a sort of "gourmet food"and cost quite a lot...
i buy one every now and then...

LLV
05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Do Avacados really have any flavor on their own??? I've had them before and find them rather bland tasting, not much to them....
I personally think it's an acquired taste. Even though it may be bland to some people, others can't stand the flavor.

Canadian_Mickey
05-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I love guacamole!! It's one of my favorite things....I have no clue how to make it though! I just get it when I'm at a resturaunt or something...I never used to like it. Hmmm... What do you do to keep the avacados from turning brown? That's just icky! I may have to try one sometime...just to see if I like it or not. Maybe eating it WITH something else, or on a sandwich or something, will be better, last time I ate it by itself...it was kind of nasty....

teckeygirl
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Most recipes call for lemon or lime juice. The acidity in that keeps them from turning brown much like lemon juice over apples keeps them from turning brown as quickly as well. It just slows the rate of oxidation.

Hope that helps. I've made guacamole before as well as salsa and pico de gallo and it's not terribly difficult. there are a lot of good "starter" recipes out there that you can adjust to your own tastes. (Some people like tomatoes in their guac, some dont, etc)

I'm going to be making some tonight for Cinco De Mayo!!

edit: I JUST remembered... in Kindergarten we once had to bring in a food beginning with A. My mother convinced me everyone else would bring apples, so she forced me to bring an avocado. I remember everyone saying how weird and disgusting it was. I wanted to hide. Hehe.. thought it was an amusing story :)

WaterRat
05-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Of course in addition to enhancing all things Mexican, avocado is also really good on eggs. I've even heard of avocado milkshakes (which I'm not daring enough to try!)

Avocados are very good in omelets - along with some mild cheese (ricotta is good) or mushrooms and onions. A friend once made some avocado ice cream which really didn't appeal to me - much as I like them, somehow they don't belong in ice cream. :lol:

LLV
05-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Yes, the lemon or lime juice helps it from turning brown. Also, another little avocado trick, if you cut one in half but only plan to use half of it, leaving the pit in the half you're not using keeps it from turning brown as well. I mean, they'll all turn brown eventually... but leaving the pit in slows the discoloration.

shananigans
05-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, you can leave half an avocado with the pit in it in the fringe for about one day, but avocados are best eaten when perfectly ripe and freshly opened. I never thought I liked avocados much till I moved here, but this is avocado central. Can’t beat the quality when you get to buy direct from the grower. There’s such a variety and when they’re in season I can usually get Hass and Fuerte for $.75 - $1 each, not bad. OK, I’m off to the farmers market to get avocados for guac and ingredients for the corn chowder. Viva Cinco de Mayo!

My guac recipe: 2 avos, couple tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, 2 chopped garlic cloves, about half a diced onion, diced tomato if you like, splash of salsa, salt, pepper, green Tabasco or any hot sauce you like to taste. Mash it up, enjoy! Tastes even better after a couple hours chilling in the fridge.

Canadian_Mickey
05-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Sounds yummy Shananigans!!! Thanks!!! I might just have to make that this weekend!!! I'm dying for some mexican food!!!!!! Up here in Canada we don't do Cinco de Mayo! Sadness!!!!

penpal
05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I had a yummy avocado dish yesterday at a birthday party in a swanky restaurant in Portland. It was basically avocado & mango cubes tossed in a little dressing (probably lime based) topped with fresh crab meat. This was put in a timbale (mold) and turned out on the plate like a little tower. The plate was drizzled with a little more tangy sauce and it was served with a small side salad.

It was a delicious lunch, without too many calories. I even had some calories left for a small slice of birthday cake!

I might have a go at making this some time. We have such great dungeness crab here in the northwest (a bit pricey though). We used to take our son crabbing at the coast and bring them home but it stinks the house out to cook them!

teatree
05-07-2006, 04:07 PM
You're right, penpal. Avocado is delicious with seafood... I like to cube avocado to eat with shrimp cocktails. I've got to get around to trying avocado with tuna.

pavellina
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
i love the big seed in the middle of the fruit...
i mean, it's so smooth and nice!
i ever wondered if i can plant it and grow up something from it...
anyone did it before?

kykaree
05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I've had them sprout, but I have always lived in too cold a climate to plant them!!!!

Pavellina I expect a full grown avocado tree by the time I come to visit Italy!!! And we can sit in the sun and eat avocados with your best balsamic vinegar!

pavellina
05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
mhm!
tasty idea!
you just planted it in a vase?

kykaree
05-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I put it in a glass jar with some water, then once it is sprouted you could put it in a tub or straight in the ground......we'll probably be old ladies by the time it's mature enough to give us an avocado, but at least we will be thin old ladies :D

pavellina
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
next time i'll buy an avocado i'll try!

teatree
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Oooh, I want to try too! :) Just drop in some water, you said?

kykaree
05-09-2006, 03:00 PM
When I did it, I put it on top of a jar big enough to hold it, but not big enough for it to go all the way in, like an egg cup with an egg in it, and some water in the jar!

Good luck, and in twenty years, we'll have to do the 3FC Thin Old Lady Avocado Tour :D

pavellina
05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
twenty years?
uhm...i think i must rush to the supermarket or i'll never see one:D

suechef
05-14-2006, 11:27 PM
I saw a guac recipe somewhere recently that was half avocado and half mashed edamame, otherwise the same. So, cuts the fat of the avocado and get all that great protein and fiber from the soybeans. Edamame are pretty mild, so I'd guess it's good.

cheers,
Sue

GonnaLooseitagain
05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I grew up eating them fresh, we had avacodo trees, now I just miss them sometimes....I happened to get some the other day at the store, I ate the last one for a snack last night...I cut it up into bite sized pieces and cut up a half a tomato then salt/pepper and a tsp of italian dressing, mixed it and enjoyed!!! YUMMY, I could eat them every day. They are also good over omlets!