Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Chinese Recipes ????

View Full Version : Chinese Recipes ????

Judy01
05-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Does anyone have any healthy (low calorie) chinese recipes? I don't have a problem with the meat or veggies but Chinese sauces are the best part.

It's the one food type that I miss on my new healthy lifestyle.

THANKS

veggielover
05-03-2006, 01:02 AM
coming from authentic chinese roots, I must tell you that real chinese food is not like the take-out. We either boil or steam everything (Back in my mother's days, oil was almost nonexistant and they used lard to cook if they had any at all, lard itself was so expensive, being fat was truly a luxury!)
I like to cook boiled cauliflower with onion and a bit of black bean and garlic, or black pepper sauce. These are kind of only available at chinese grocers. (you could use any veggie, but these are commonly used sauces) It gives me a bit of variety even though I was raised on mac n' cheese and peanut butter and jelly. As for satisfying the take-out type chinese foods, you can buy lo mein anywhere. Most chinese noodles are made from egg. Find a sodium free soy sauce and mix a tiny bit in the noodles and then add some stir-fry veggies. It takes almost like the same as they make it. To be quite honest, you can still eat healthily at chinese restuarants as long as you get the veggies and noodles. They don't use a lot of oil in many dishes (well, it depends on where you live really..) because they use water and corn starch based sauces. Beware of the sodium though- many asians have hypertension as a result of their high sodium intake.

nail-lady
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
General Tsao’s Chicken

Servings: 4
Weight Watchers Points per serving: 6

Ingredients:

3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp sugar or splenda
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp olive oil
2 medium scallions, chopped or minced dried onion
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 pound uncooked chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups cooked brown rice, kept hot
steamed broccoli

Instructions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and
ginger, set aside.

Heat oil in large skillet, add scallions/onions, garlic and red pepper and cook 2
minutes. add chicken and cook until browned all over.

Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked
through, about 3 min.

Add Steamed broccoli to pan and toss to coat with sauce.

Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup rice per serving. Enjoy! :)

I no longer have the nutritional information for this recipe, but I got it off the
Weight Watchers site a few years ago and it was listed with the point value.

I hope that you find this useful and just as delicious as my family does!
Darcy