Exercise! - May Walking Challenge

View Full Version : May Walking Challenge

Genesis
05-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Ok!!!! We're in May now and it's time to begin our May Walking Challenge! I'm actually scaling back on my May challenge as I plan to follow the official 3-Day training program to prepare for the 60 mile walk for breast cancer in October. So, I've mapped it all out and I've figured out all of my challenges for May, June, July, August, September, and October!

May - 59 miles
June - 77 miles
July - 114 miles
August - 135 miles
September - 176 miles
October - 101+ miles

I'll not only be walking the mileage noted above, but I'll also be doing cross training activities such as yoga, pilates and step aerobics two days a week. I plan to walk four days a week, cross train two days a week and rest one day a week.

So my official May walking challenge is 59 miles! What's your challenge?

shoequeen69
05-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Wow! That is a great challenge Genesis. I failed my April challenge miserably. I hope that May will finally get me moving. I'm going to set my goal for 15 miles, 1 mile at least 3 days a week. Hopefully I will get more in. Thanks for setting up the thread. Later - Amy :woops:

Genesis
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
So far in May I've got in one 5 mile walk and one 25 minute cross training session!

Genesis
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Amy, Good luck with your challenge! You can do it!!!! :carrot:

Michele L
05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
I'll go for 65 miles! Last month I started at 50 and ended up with 60.68, so I think that's a reasonable increase.

Happy Walking!

Michele :wave:

DewCan
05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Genesis, Amy and Michele
Can I join you? My goal is 75 miles. I know it's lots, but if I don't aim high I might just always push it off unitl a different day. I'm going for a walk once my husband gets home from work he's always willing and that really helps me. I'm excited for this. Woohoo!

Genesis
05-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Welcome DewCan & Michele!!! Good luck with your goals!

Genesis
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
I didn't make it on a walk today, but plan to complete 200 jumping jacks before bed! That's another challenge I've taken on, the 200 jj a day challenge! Definitely a long walk tomorrow! And, I've scheduled a long walk with my 3-day training partner on Sunday. We'll probably do about 7 miles. Good luck everybody!!!!

mayday
05-04-2006, 07:46 AM
This may be a silly question, but for those of you who walk outdoors, how do you track your miles? Does a pedometer do that? I know a pedometer tracks steps but I wasn't sure what else it does. I take the train to work because of a long commute so every morning I walk 15 minutes to the train station and then 15 back at night of course. I also walk around 45 minutes over lunch so I generally get at least an hour in per day. Plus I go to a walking club some Thursday nights. So I know how many hours/week I walk but don't have a clue as to how many miles. Thanks for your help!

ArtsyGirl
05-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone-I'd like to join you. I just started walking regularly again (4-6 mornings a week). I do lots of other cardio to supplement my exercise routing. I think my goal will be 76 miles for the month. So far I've done 12 of them.

Genesis-Which 3-day are you doing? This will be my 3rd year involved. I walked my first year and did bicycle route safety last year. I'll do the bicycle again this year. I'm in the Michigan walk. Its nice to find another 3 dayer around. How is your fundraising going? Is this your first time?

mayday-check out: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
very cool way to track your mileage.

Hi to everyone else. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Genesis
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
ArtsyGirl - This is my first 3-Day and I'm going to walk the Tampa Bay 3-Day. I just mailed all of my fundraising letters out yesterday!!!! I haven't received a donation yet, but I'm fairly confident I will be able to reach the minimum $2,200 to walk without too much trouble. I'm very excited about the whole process....the fundraising, the training and the actual event! I talked a friend into joining me and we meet every Sunday for a long walk. During the week I try to do three 5 to 7 mile walks.

MayDay - My pedometer tracks miles as well as steps and I LOVE it!!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U1OCI/qid=1146750065/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5817974-9031347?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3760901

alinnell
05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't trust my pedometer. I've driven my usual route and it comes up 4.3 miles in my car and my pedometer comes in at 3.5 miles--and I'm not taking any shortcuts! In fact, because I'm following my dogs, I think I'm walking further than I drove in my car. I think I'd rather invest in a heart rate monitor and just try to keep within my range for a good cardio workout rather than logging the miles! Besides that, the heat is going up here and I may have to stay indoors and use my NordicTrak or do videos for the rest of the summer (I know, it's only spring, but in the desert it's already hit 95 degrees). I was walking 5 to 6 days per week until it got hot.
Good luck on getting your donations for your walk! Sounds fun.

DewCan
05-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi,
wow a three day walk sounds fun and tiring.
I measure the distance with my bike odometer.
I'm only at 5 miles, but I am going out for another 3 miles today.
Have fun all
need to go refill my coffee

Genesis
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Ok, it was really hot today so I only got in 3 miles. I live in FL and it's starting to heat up!

Michele L
05-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm at 9 miles so far this month! This morning I did the 2 mile WATP for Abs. Now I'm going shopping (which means more pedometer steps!)

Have a great Friday!

DewCan
05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi all,
I'm at 8 miles, and am going out again today once the clouds decide to go away. Do you count pedometer steps for regular things or just when you do exercisie things? Just wondering. I have a million things on my list of things to do today. So I should get going.

Genesis
05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi everybody - Another hot one, so I did just 2 miles and then 200 jumping jacks when I got home. My husband is actually excited about our walk tomorrow, so we'll probably do 3 miles and then jump in the swimming pool to cool off when we get back to the house. On Sunday my training partner and I have decided to aim high and shoot for a 10-miler. So, if everything goes as planned I'll be at 23 miles by Monday. Happy walking!

Dewcan - For the purpose of this challenge I only count exercise miles walked. However, I enjoy tracking my total miles (or steps) walked as well.

ArtsyGirl
05-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi everybody-I'm at 18 miles today. It has been beautiful weather here the past few days. Its been fun to get outside more often.

Genesis-Have fun on your weekend walks.

sassybiscuit
05-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Hello ladies! It took me a while to find you Genesis! I am SO up for a May challenge. My April one was 45 and I made it by a hair... had to work extra hard on the 30th!

Anyway, my goal for May will be 55 miles. That's just about 1/4 mile more per day than last month. (PLUS an extra day in the month!) So far I've done 9 miles, so I am just about on target for the month. Good thing since it's just the beginning!

I do have a lot happening this month, so I hope that I can learn to balance all this.
Good luck to you all and have fun with it!

Genesis
05-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Good luck with your May challenge, Sassy! I'll have some challenges this month, too. The last two weeks of the month I'm going to be traveling for business. It is always a challenge to fit in your exercise while on the road, but I'm sure gonna try! Also, May 15, 16 and 17 I'm going to Naples, FL and Siesta Key, FL with some friends. Taking long walks on the beach sounds wonderful to me!

Brandy - I got my first 3-Day donation yesterday! $50 is in my account! :D

Genesis
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Ugh, hubby is sick so I've lost my walking partner today....drats! :mad:

Michele L
05-06-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm at 13 miles for the month--I did the 4 mile Super Challenge this morning!

sassybiscuit
05-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Good luck with your May challenge, Sassy! I'll have some challenges this month, too. The last two weeks of the month I'm going to be traveling for business. It is always a challenge to fit in your exercise while on the road, but I'm sure gonna try! Also, May 15, 16 and 17 I'm going to Naples, FL and Siesta Key, FL with some friends. Taking long walks on the beach sounds wonderful to me!

Brandy - I got my first 3-Day donation yesterday! $50 is in my account! :D

Genesis -
I used to travel and would have never been able to handle it.... I admire you! Keep it up, I know it's not easy!

Genesis
05-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Sassy!

I fell short of my weekend goal, but did pretty good! I walked 2 miles Saturday and 8 miles today, brining my May total to 20 miles so far.

Hope everybody had a nice weekend!

Michele L
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
15 miles done; 50 to go to reach my goal!

Let's keep it going!!!

DewCan
05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Way to walk ladies,
Hope your'e having a better morning than me. It's raining/snowing here, ugh, what's up with that?! I'll have to do my WATP tape today, that's definitely less fun than walking.
I'm at 14 miles so far, I'll have to pick it up if I want to get to my goal. With two little ones it's hard. But it's no excuse, I just have to do it every day.

Michele L
05-08-2006, 08:55 PM
17 down, 48 to go!

carlajill_stl
05-09-2006, 01:26 AM
MayDay - My pedometer tracks miles as well as steps and I LOVE it!!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U1OCI/qid=1146750065/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5817974-9031347?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3760901

This is the pedometer that I have...it is AWESOME...love it!! Was really worth the money. I work retail and needed a baseline for the amount of steps I was already getting in and this did the trick!!! :D

ArtsyGirl
05-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi gals-I'm at 26 miles! You're all doing great.

Genesis-Congrats on getting that first donation. First one's the hardest. Good luck continuing. Let me know if you need ideas for fundraising, I've heard alot of what's worked well.

Genesis
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I squeezed in a 5 mile walk late last night, bringing my May total to 25 miles. Keep up the good work everybody!

Genesis
05-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I didn't get in any walking yesterday - maybe today! Hope everybody is having a nice week.

Michele L
05-10-2006, 10:53 AM
19 miles done; 46 to go! Hoping for at least another mile this afternoon or tonight.

ArtsyGirl
05-10-2006, 08:26 PM
No walking for me today. Hopefully the rain will clear by morning. We're supposed to go for another 4 then. Great job girls. Those miles are racking up.

DewCan
05-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm at 17 for the month. 58 to go :eek: better get at it. It's been so windy here and I can't go out with Baby then. I'll go out today, at least 3 miles.

ArtsyGirl
05-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I squeezed in 3.6 miles this morning before the rain came back. I'm so close to 30 miles I may go out for a short walk with the dogs later to get that goal.

Genesis
05-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Everybody is doing so well! Keep it up! Call it luck, but I had wonderful timing with my walk this morning. I got up and was planning on working for a while before my walk (I work from home), but instead decided to go for a walk right away. I got in 5 miles, came home, jumped in the shower and by the time I was out of the shower it was STORMING outside...I mean thunder, lightening, hail, down pour rain, etc. and it's been on and off all day.

So now I'm up to 30 miles for the month! :carrot:

DewCan
05-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Wow, 30 you're doing great!!
I'm at 20, with 55 more to go. It's raining here too. So I'm going to go and dig out my WATP.
bye

Michele L
05-13-2006, 12:59 PM
In the last 2 days, I've done 3.33 miles on the treadmill. See below for my progress toward my May Goal!

Keep walking!

Genesis
05-13-2006, 10:13 PM
My training partner and I are trying out a new trail tomorrow morning. We're going to shoot for 10 miles. Woo hoo!

Genesis
05-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Had a GREAT walk today....did 10.5 miles and feel wonderful. Whenever I go on long walks, it kills my appetite. Before the walk I ate some fresh strawberries with vanilla yogurt and I was not hungry at all for lunch. I forced myself to eat some edamame, fresh fruit and 1/2 cup of apple sauce about 2 hours after the walk. I hope I get hungry for dinner, as I have a very healthy, tasty dinner all planned for myself - a giant green salad and a black bean burrito. Do any of you experience a total lack of appetite after long walks?

ArtsyGirl
05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi girls, I've walked the past 2 mornings in the rain. Hasn't been pouring, but I've been pretty wet by the time I get home. We still have rain forecasted for the next few days too!:(

Genesis-Since I started working out more, I don't get nearly as hungry as I should. I have to make sure I get enough food to support all the activity I throw in a day. All my friends and family think this would be great not to be hungry, but its actually harder than you would think. I eat a lot of times when I'm not hungry and that's not a habit I really want to develop.:dizzy: Boggles the mind.

DewCan
05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, hello ladies, all this walking has to be doing us good.
I got 11 miles in on the weekend, so I'm at 31 with 44 to go. I haven't gone out today yet, but I will, I promise ;)
Diana

ArtsyGirl
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey gals,

I actually stayed completely dry on this mornings walk! :carrot: It waited to start raining until I got home. I am so sick of rain. I think I'm having a seasonal depression reaction to it.:mad:

I have my piano recital for my students on Friday. That means I have really boring lessons as most of the kids just want to play recital things over and over and over and over and..... I know it builds their confidence, but again, I'm going insane:dizzy: . BUT, after this week, I'll be done teaching lessons for the whole summer. This is the first time I've ever stopped ALL the lessons for any length of time in 10 years. I can't wait for a nice break. I am so burned out I need to get enthusiastic again and I'm hoping the break will be the thing that does it.

Well, have a great day!

Michele L
05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
I've been so slow the last few days :shrug: and I don't have a good reason. We've had appointments every night, and I've managed to do SOMETHING, but it's not my usual amount. I'm a little more than 3 miles BELOW my minimum expectation in order to reach my goal by the end of the month. I just have to convince myself to get back to at least 2 miles a day, PLUS make up where I'm behind. BUT HOW?????

Genesis
05-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Brandy, Good for you for taking a break. We all need one now and then. And thanks for your note regarding hunger after exercise. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing a lack of appetite.

I just got back from South Florida. Had an excellent time. I didn't get in too much walking, but I did get in a lot of swimming and playing the surf. Boogie boarding takes a lot out of you! I was surprised at how exhausting it was! I felt like a kid again, it was so much fun. As adults we tend to think of exercise as a chore and forget how much fun "playing" can be and how great it is as a form of exercise!

I've got a few long walks planned between now and when I leave for Seattle on Monday. So, I think I will be close to my May goal by the time I leave for Seattle, which will make it easy for me to fit in the rest of my miles while traveling for business. I'm currently at 42.5 miles and my goal for May is 59 miles. If everything goes as planned, I'll be at around 55 miles by the 22nd of May.

Keep it up everybody!

DewCan
05-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi ladies,
I'm at 41.5 miles and have 33.5 to go in May. I think this might be attainable! :carrot:
Brandy, you need a break!! My SIL has also been doing it for years like you and she's decided to quit for the time being. She has 3 kids and teaches kindergarten half time. Plus a milion other commitments. I'm glad she's taking that one thing off her plate.
Michele, maybe get in shorter walks. 20 min here and another 20 there. Or can you walk to any of your appointments? I know for me it takes me 20 min a mile (as I wear baby in the snugli and push kid 1 in the stroller). Time hos long it takes to walk a mile and then next time take your watch. Walk for half that time (10min) and then turn around. Do it once in the morning and once in the afternoon and once in the evening. That way it's easier to work it around other commitments. Just an idea.
Genesis, what kind of work do you do? I'm jealous that you travel so much!! You will totally reach your goal this month :carrot: that's fantastic.

Genesis
05-18-2006, 10:14 PM
DewCan - I live in Orlando, FL but work in Seattle, WA so I travel back to Seattle frequently. I lived and worked in Seattle for years and about 1 year ago my husband got a great job opportunity in Orlando. We decided to move to FL but my company didn't want to let me go, so I'm still working for them remotely from FL and fly up 1 to 2 weeks per month. I enjoy it, but the travel does get old sometimes. However, it is nice to be able to visit my friends and family so often. My mom jokes that she sees me more now that I live in Florida!

:D

Good work ladies...keep it up!!!

ArtsyGirl
05-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Hello all, no walks for me the past 2 days. Yesterday was scheduled to be off from it, and this morning was rain:mad: . O Well, maybe tomorrow.

Genesis-How fun it'd be to go back and forth. I haven't traveled much at all, so it sounds fun, I'm sure sometimes you'd rather just stay home though. Its cool that you have the opportunity to see your family so much though.

DewCan-Wow, you must really get a workout with one adding weight to your body, and pushing another. Talk about upping the resistance. Your weight training with every step.

I think I'll make my goal for the month as long as the rain doesn't stop me many more days. It has actually let up, and I'm thinking about trying to get out now. Think I'll check the weather map and then decide.

DewCan
05-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Genesis, that sounds great!!

Brandy, rain rain go away...

I'm at 44.5, and I haven't even gone walking today

Genesis
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Everybody! I went on a very nice 6 mile walk today. It was dry and not too hot outside. Tomorrow I am meeting my training partner at my gym and we're going to do 1 hour on the treadmill and then take an hour long Yogalates class...it's a mix of yoga and pilates. Then we'll top off our workout with a little R&R in the spa and steam room before grabbing lunch and heading over to a Breast Cancer 3-Day focus meeting. I'm looking forward to a nice workout and meeting some fellow "3-Dayers" here in Orlando. Have a nice weekend everybody!!

Current May walking total = 48.5 miles
May walking goal = 59 miles

ArtsyGirl
05-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Howdy gals-

I just passed the 60 mile mark. Just think Genesis, what has taken me 23 days, you'll do in just 3 in a few short months!!!!!

The rain seems to have cleared out for awhile, and I may actually get to see the sun for a bit! I've been busy, but able to keep up with my exercise, and watch my diet and keep it primarily healthy. I played our first coed softball game of the year last night. Had a really good game close in score, but we ended up the losers. I really don't worry about that unless we get stomped on. Then its just embarrassing. Otherwise, I can be a happy loser.

Well, hope you are all on your way to reaching your walking goal. I'm pretty sure I'll get mine accomplished. See ya.

ArtsyGirl
05-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Where did everybody go? I'll make my walking goal tomorrow barring a rain out. How are you all doing for getting there? Hope you're all to busy racking up the miles to post about it. Have a great day.

macdeez
05-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Hey girls,

I'm jumping in waaaaaaaaaaaaay late here, hope you don't mind. I used to be a regular in the WATP's thread, but got side-tracked. Yet again. Anyway, I'm back and will go ahead and make a June goal as soon as the first rolls around. Geez, that's only in a few days, isn't it?! Anyone else amazed at how quickly the year is passing us by?

This month I've walked 45mi... with another 8 or so to get in. DH and I have a 4mi route we frequently walk, and now that we're quickly approaching summer, I'm sure we'll be motivated to walk it more often. At least that's the plan. :)

Anyway, I'm excited to learn more about all of you... and I wish you all the best in your walking-goals! :) Take care. Best wishes.

~mel

Michele L
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I still have 14 miles to go. I'm hoping I can do it! I did the 3 mile Abs workout this morning and then the 2 mile Express one tonight.

Michele L
05-29-2006, 01:08 PM
I did Walk Away Your Stress this morning. I need it after all weekend with my kids (ages 10 & 12)! I love them dearly, but the bickering is going to drive me CRAZY!! How will I make it through an ENTIRE summer with this?!?!

Genesis
05-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Reporting remotely from Seattle.... I've been away on business for the past week and won't be returning home to FL until early June. This will be my only post between now and the end of May, so I'll sum up the month by saying that all in all I think I will be successful!

May goal = 59 miles
May walking total to date = 64

I've already exceeded my goal and the month's not over yet! I will report back in June and set a another goal for June.

Good luck everybody and I hope you all reach your May goals!!!

macdeez
05-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey girls,

I managed to get 4mi in over the weekend... and will do 4 more today. That might be it for the month - but at a total of 53, I'm happy! :)

Hopped on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks and I'm down 5lbs! VERY happy about that! I'm almost there....!

Sounds like everyone is doing well with their walking goals... good work ladies! :)

Type you all later.

~mel