Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Question Doc Changed My Diet

I went to the docs today for my Endometriosis today, and he gave me a list of foods that I needto avoid in my diet, because they can make symptoms worse, which I want to avoid, since I already have stage 4 of this....

FOODS TO AVOID
wheat - this includes breads, cakes and pasta products, all based on wheat
refined and concentrated carbohydrates
sugar, in whatever form, including honey
alcohol
caffeine which is found in tea, coffee, soft drinks
chocolate
dairy produce including all milk and cheese
fried food, margarine and hydrogenated fats
soy products and soy protein - tamari can be used in small amounts
tinned and frozen packaged foods as little as possible
additives and preservatives

Note: Meat, dairy and eggs promote the pro-inflammatory prostaglandins.

The Following are things I CAN eat....

FOODS BENEFICIAL FOR THE IMMUNE SYSTEM

beans, peas, lentils
onions
garlic (raw or lightly cooked)
carrots (contain beta-carotene)
live yogurt (good for healthy intestinal flora)
rhubarb
seeds and sprouted seeds
ginger
green tea

HORMONE REBALANCING
Foods containing natural plant sterols can be helpful. They are thought to block the estrogen receptors, so in turn excess estrogen in the body cannot ‘lock-in’ to these receptors.

These include:

peas, beans and pulses
red and purple berries
garlic
apples
parsley
fennel
brassicas: cabbage, cauliflower etc
nuts and seeds
celery, carrots
rhubarb
sage

TO SUM UP

*increase omega-3 fatty acids
*avoid all meat, dairy products, wheat and sugar
*increase fiber
*modulate estrogen
*avoid caffeine and alcohol
*avoid refined foods, e-numbers, additives
*minimize or avoid soy products as they contain high levels of phytoestrogens, and soy contains a particular toxin which seems to be particularly detrimental for women with Endometriosis
*peel fruit and vegetables to remove toxic chemicals
*eat organic produce wherever possible
*drink lots of filtered or mineral water

This is really limiting.....Any suggestions??
Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Sorry to hear that you are going through this

I suggest you go to a health food store or whole foods store to see what products are available to you. You can explain your dietary needs to one of the sales people and they can give you some advice as to what products may be helpful to you.

Can you eat rice?

There are several products on the market that are "pastas" made from rice or from spelt.

There is also a bread called Ezekiel Bread that is made from sprouted seeds instead of wheat. My dad eats that and he gets it from the local health food store in the frozen section.

I buy natural peanut butter at the healf food store. Basically you grab a scoop of peanuts and run it through the stores peanut mill into a container - presto! peanut butter without added oil, sugar or chemicals additives. I buy it in small amounts so that it doesn't go bad and I keep it in the fridge.

I drink herbal teas and caffeine free teas. I usually get Tetley teas or the brand called Yogi Tea and Celestial Seasonings have some nice ones too.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #3  

Did he offer you any advice like diet sheets or anything?

You can get special pastas and breads without wheat and refined carbs from.

If you can't have soy or dairy but can have rice could you have rice milk?
Or you could stick with herbal teas and can you have caffeine free tea and coffee?

Can you eat tofu or does the same thing apply as does to soya?

Sounds like you want to go heavy on the pulses you could make casseroles and stuff but I guess that you would need to work out what you can and can't have through trial and error.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #4