LA Weight Loss - another reason to drink your water

merem
05-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I read in this in the April issue of Women's Day magazine.

"Here's another reason to stay hydrated: German researchers recently found that after participants drank about 16 ounces of water, their metabolic rate rose by 30 percent and stayed elevated for 30 to 40 minutes. They estimate that drinking 64 ounces of water a day could help people burn off 35,000 calories a year--that's 10 pounds."

Drink up everybody!!:)

Repo girl
05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Wow, thanks.

Boo'sMom
05-01-2006, 07:06 PM
WOW--that's great! Remember--a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds--another reason I weigh early in the day!

Just curious--how much does everyone try to get in a day? I average a minimum of 100 oz, shoot for the gallon, but sometimes have more. Is it possible to drink too much?

dolphn545
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
it is possible to get too much, but it's controversial as to what is considered to be too much.
I have read somewhere that you should drink 1/2 your body weight.
LAWL tells me not to get in more than my 64 oz of water/day.

Boo'sMom
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
UH OH--maybe I am overdoing it. I really thought the more the better.

mandalinn82
05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
The only way you're going to hurt yourself by drinking lots of water is drinking it too quickly. Drinking large quantities over a day is fine, and as said above, may increase metabolic rate - but people have died or caused themselves permanent damage by drinking more than a gallon in an hour. If you're under that, your weight will be higher because you'll have more fluids running through you, but you'll be fine (and well hydrated!).

Dairy Fairy
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Boosmom-I'd be peeing 5x a night if I did that!

Boo'sMom
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
DF--unfortunately I am close--I really try to cut off the drinking by 8:00 except for what I need for my EFA's at bedtime (really--I usually get up 3X) Always have though--I have never in my life slept the entire night!--Hey--get you some shorts and tanks--you CAN wear them--you live in the hottest city I know!!!!

I usually get in 50 before lunch, 50 before dinner, and another 25ish before 8:00. I am afraid the hotter it gets the more I will want, too.

Repo girl
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I was drinking a gallon or more every day, and I was not losing. My COD said it was TOO much. I cut it down to 64 and started losing again. I don't know if it was the water or not, but I always wondered if maybe my body was so busy dealing with all of the water that there was no time to burn fat? Silly, I know, but still, it worked.

Boo'sMom
05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Katie--I will sure try it--don't think at this point it can hurt either way!

Gamababa3
05-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I do my best to get the 64 oz a day in. I bought a very large water bottle and fill it up daily and know when it's gone I'm down. I also pee a lot on top of the water pills I take for my high BP, so I tend to stop drinking by 6 if possible. I look at it like it's more water then I've drank in my life time, so I'm doing great.

stacyj
05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
:carrot: I always drink 64 and often drink even more than that
I used to be addicted to Diet Coke, so sometimes I reward myself with Caffeine free Diet Coke after all the water is drank!

ksdiogi
05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
I always drink close to 100 oz of water a day. I made the mistake of recording each glass ONE TIME. I was POP and stayed the same. COD advised I was drinking too much and cut me back to 64 oz. I marked 64 oz on the journal, drank 100 oz, and stayed POP and dropped 2.5 lbs 2 days later on the Friday weigh in. I think water affects each differently. I only drink water (and liquid fruit:-) ) now and I need the fluids. I'm in sales, have a history of nodules on my vocal chords, and need the hydration.

ljackson
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Do any of you count Crystal Light as your water? I drink the peach tea, I know the Splenda is not good for you, but it still can count as water, right???

Dairy Fairy
05-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Lisa, order some stevia, girl...I love it!

ljackson
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I tried it at my sisters house a few years ago. It was sooo sweet. Maybe we used too much?

Dairy Fairy
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah...you probably used too much. I do a teaspoon for a gallon of tea or 8 or 8 drops for a glass. DH likes that uber-sweet taste...I don't.

PURPLEPIRATE99
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
hmmm, Dairy - didn't you say you got it off ebay?

Dairy Fairy
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah...I got a twinpak for $10 (shipping and all). I think it is a good deal. You only get 2 oz, but consider that 1 tsp=1 cup sugar. There are other liquid stevias in larger quantities, but they are less concentrated (like 1/3 cup= 1 cup sugar), so check the concentration. If you want to see what I bought, just search " liquid stevia twinpak"

merem
05-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Do any of you count Crystal Light as your water? I drink the peach tea, I know the Splenda is not good for you, but it still can count as water, right???

I was told at my COD that I could NOT count Crystal Lite towards my 64 oz. So I use Crystal Lite or a diet soft drink as a reward for getting my 64 oz in.

ljackson
05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Well I am in trouble because i use Crystal light for at least half my water I get in a day.
Dairy- does the stevia come in different flavors or do you just add it to regular tea to make iced tea?

Dairy Fairy
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes, I have seen it in different flavors (drugstore.com I think). I saw chocolate raspberry, peach, and something else. I don't know if it would make a good beverage alone...maybe unsweetened regular old koolaid packets with it? Good idea...glad you made me think of it ;) I do add it to reg. tea and Dh will drink it though he hates splenda and equal.

rad7775
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Lisa:
I love Crystal lights, I use ruby red grapefruit, lemonade, fruit punch, classic orange, strawberry banana, and another more but I can't remember now. For my water I use 32 oz bottle, for me is more easy to drink it in a bottle than using a cup.

Gamababa3
05-02-2006, 10:19 PM
My center told me the same thing. I would need to drink all my water and then could have some Crystal light if I wanted to.

rad7775
05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey Barbara:
:wave:

CafeAmericain
05-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Does drinking cold water boost your metabolism more than drinking room temperature water? I've heard that it does, but I've also heard it doesn't matter.

aggie2006
05-06-2006, 05:26 AM
actually, its better to drink room temperature water that cold water...

hmmm
05-06-2006, 09:19 AM
HEY! Did you ask your counselor why it was too much? Iknow we here lots of different things BUT ask why she's making that suggestion for you. I was told get the 64 oz, if your still thirsty drink, if I was REALLY thirsty might want to see my doctor about that. But if I was throwing down extra waters for bonus points!!!-64 was plenty. You'll probably be thirstier if you're exercizing and in the summer when ya sweat! But if you ask your counselor, (because you want to know, not to prove she's a dumb a##) you'll get a better understanding of what they're thinking and you can discuss if what she's saying applies to you!!!!! They may not realize they're giving case specific info to ALL OF US... YIKES. And as far as their math goes!!! I'm glad they're not teachin' it! I think to myself, bless her heart, I'm glad I know how! Maybe I'll share that knowledge w/her someday... 1tb. RF p-butter is 1/2 protein on gold and green. Obviously 1 1/2 is half of three. And I know that, so that's what I do. It's just not an issue I care to debate w/them....gimme some cheese!!!

ljackson
05-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I read that drinking ice cold water burns calories because your body has to work to get it to body temperature. I always drink my beverages with ice, I need all the help I can get;)

slimkim
05-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I read that too.. cold water will make the body "warm it up and that burns calories.. not much but something is better than nothing.. add lemon that will also help with burning calories.. I do some cold some not.. hi everyone!! Kim

Dairy Fairy
05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I have read that about cold water, but cold water tastes funny and makes my sensitive teeth ache. I figure lukewarm is better than none at all.

Repo girl
05-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I can get a lot more down at a time if it is lukewarm.

rad7775
05-06-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't like cold water either, I like it warm!

merem
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
You know I was wondering about if the water should be cold to raise the metabolism more too. The article didn't specify the water temperature.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes lukewarm water. I'm the only person (until now)I knew that prefered no ice in my water.

dolphn545
05-08-2006, 07:45 AM
can't stand warm water. has to be ice cold for me! :)

aggie2006
05-09-2006, 04:13 AM
lukewarm girl here! it just goes down quicker...ice cold i have to sip!

PURPLEPIRATE99
05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm with you Sherry - at least cold for me - can't stand room temp or luke warm - makes me gag - the only exception is drinking the warm lemon water - which I feel like I need this morning - very bloated with TOM!!!

mrsbeanie
05-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I love ice. Im the only person I know that will go to a convenience store. Fill the largest cup clear full of ice and then diet pop or water. I have to have bags of ice in my freezer too. I love to go to sonic and get 3 or4 bags of their ice (the little pellet kind) and stock my freezer. I told my husband my dream gift is an icemaker machine. LOL

Dairy Fairy
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
I love the pellet ice like Sonic has! I would eat that all day if I had something to make that for him. I'm a bad ice chomper and DH is always yelling about it. I look at him really sheepishly and say "I can't help it...I'm anemic." Well, I am...so at least I get him off my back even though I did this long before an iron deficiency.

merem
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
from: http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/water011204.htm

Drinking More Water Burns a Few More Calories
From Wendy Bumgardner,Your Guide to Walking.

But Don't Overdo It
Does drinking more water really help dieting? A small study says it may help you burn a few more calories each day. How many? About 50 calories per liter or quart of water. About 25 calories per water bottle-full of water. Mind you, that's only 5 M&Ms - plain, not peanut.
Why Drink More When Dieting?
Drinking a big glass of water whenever you feel hungry and before a meal or snack fills the stomach briefly and makes you feel fuller and stop eating sooner.
Breaking down body fat and body muscle during weight loss produces wastes that must be eliminated through the kidneys. Drinking enough water is important to keep the kidneys functioning to remove these wastes.
Popular high-protein diets produce more waste products from digestion, let alone from breaking down stored fat. Kidney function is even more important when on a high-protein diet.
Drinking more water does not "flush fat."
If the dieter is drinking plain water, he/she is less likely to be drinking something with calories in it.
Drinking Water Briefly Increases Metabolism
Drinking 500 mL of water (a half-liter or about a pint) increased the study participants' metabolism briefly - for about a half hour. In that time they burned an extra 25 calories. That's about a quarter of a piece of sliced bread, or 5 M&Ms. The researchers theorized that most of the effect comes from warming the water in the stomach. In the male participants the calories came mostly from stored fat, in the women it came from stored carbohydrates. The paper was published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, December, 2003. It was conducted by researchers in Berlin. Eight Glasses of Water a Day?
The study provides some support for the general recommendation to drink eight glasses of water a day while dieting. For most people that would add a liter or two to their regular water intake. The extra calorie-burn would be about 100 calories a day if drinking 2 liters (2 quarts or 4 water-bottles full) more than usual.
Dangers of Too Much Water
Don't start drinking an extra gallon of water a day - that can kill you, especially if you are fasting or eating very little. Water taken in must be in balance with body salt - electrolytes. The body needs to maintain salt balance or risk hyponatremia with heart attack and even death. Drinking too much water dilutes the salt in your blood and tissues - and can kill you. Healthy athletes have died from drinking too much plain water and not replacing salt. Dieters should not plunge into drinking gallons of water a day in hopes of burning a few more calories. Drink an extra few glasses, yes. But a gallon is too much.
Drinking and Walking
Exercise such as walking causes the metabolism to rise and body water to be lost through increased respiration and sweat. Walkers should drink a large glass of water an hour before walking, then drink about a cup of water every mile. When you finish walking, drink a glass of water. Guidelines for the marathon and half-marathon now say to "drink when thirsty" rather than pushing water, in order to prevent hyponatremia - drinking too much with replacing electrolytes.

I've been drinking ice water since reading this. Hey, every little bit helps--especially over time the calories will add up.