Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

Default Frustrated And Ready To Quit

I've been trying really hard for almost three weeks now. I lost two pounds right away and this morning I've put them back on! The thing is, I'm eating better and getting more exercise and the pounds still aren't coming off. Maybe this is just the way it's going to be. Maybe I'm not going to be able to get thinner. I feel like why even try. I know it's only been three weeks, but should'nt something positive be happening? I just want to scream! Please, please, any ideas, any thoughts, any help?!
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #2  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

I know just how you feel Babsy :O(. I had a little loss and then now, it seems like nothing. But your 2 lbs is not fat, as you probably know you would have to eat at least 7,000 calories more than you burned for that to happen. You have to disregard that weigh in. Slooooowly, your clothes are going to get looser and thats how you'll know.
What I tell myself is that well, if Im not losing, at least there is no way I can be gaining fat... so if this is the effort it takes to maintain, I still have to do it, cause I certainly dont want to get BIGGER indefinitely!!!

What also helps me is to plan like this: Just resolve to stick with it 3 (or 4 or whatever) months, no matter what happens on the scale. I think, if I do this for a YEAR, and I stay the same weight, no one can argue with the fact that Im a mutant!!! :O)

Anyway, we probably arent mutants, it just takes FOREVERRRRRR.
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #3  

I guess I have always been a right now person. I want changes NOW! I do know that this takes time (intellectually I know this) but I just hate feeling like a big blob all the time. I know I've said this before, but all of the soccer moms on my sons team are Barbie Dolls. I was looking at them yesterday in their little jeans, with their little fanny's, and I was so emabarrased for myself, my husband, and my son that I wanted to get in the car so no one could see me. I HATE THIS!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #4  
Aleecia

Babsy, whatever you do, don't give up.
I think everyone will agree that this whole weight loss journey isn't easy and everyone is different. If it were easy then we would all be thin.
I can tell you that when I started my journey 11 weeks ago I was just as frustrated as you. My first 2 weeks I lost 2 lbs, then gained one back, then lost a little, then gained a little. You get the picture. I think it took my body some getting used to.
So by all means don't give up. Stick with what you're doing and the weight will come off.
We are all here for you so keep your chin up.
Have a better Monday
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #5  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

Hi Babsy, if you're exercising more, you're probably converting fat to muscle which is more dense so you're probably losing inches. It also burns up to 50 calories per pound at rest versus only 2 or 3 calories per pound at rest as fat. Hence, you' re bumping up your metabolism. Don't quit, you're just getting started on a great new you!! BJF - P.S. Don't forget to drink lots of plain water and get adequate fiber to carry the byproducts of weight loss out of the body.
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsy
I know it's only been three weeks, but should'nt something positive be happening?
If you are eating right and exercising then there are LOTS AND LOTS of positive things happening. If you look to the scale as your one and only source of validation you are going to be miserably disappointed - OFTEN. That number on the scale is important to most of us but you have to remember that the scale is only one tool and isn't always the most accurate indicator of success. Take your measurments and before and after pictures. Pay close attention to how you feel and how much more energy you have. Set goals that aren't weight related so that you always have an accomplishment to look forward to - no matter what the scale tells you.

The bottom line is that our bodies are complicated machines. They don't always do what we want them to when we want them to - but they still do exactly what they are SUPPOSED to do. As long as you are doing the right things (it is important to be painfully honest with yourself - log your food, measure and weigh portions meticulously, etc.) then you are going to lose weight. In fact, the only possible way to make certain you don't reach your goal is to get frustrated and give up. Keep going. YOU CAN DO IT!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #7  

What plan are you following? I was following South Beach Diet for a few months and in the beginning I lost 6 pounds and then for 2 and a half months nothing at all, I just maintained. I started to have the same thoughts that you posted, I tried counting calories and realized that I was eating way too much in a day, so I tried cutting back my calories (not an easy thing to do), I started to think something else was going on with my body it was very frustrating. I joined Weight Watchers and in my first week I lost 4 pounds, that definitely told me that I was eating way too much food before and that there is nothing wrong with my body, I was just stuffing it too much!

You really need to take a close look at your diet and how much food you are eating, I was shocked at the amount of calories I was taking in, even though I wasn't gaining, I wasn't losing either and that wasn't the goal. And even though I was following the SBD and eating all of the healthy, good for me foods, I was still consuming too many calories each day.
Ariannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsy
I guess I have always been a right now person. I want changes NOW! I do know that this takes time (intellectually I know this) but I just hate feeling like a big blob all the time. I know I've said this before, but all of the soccer moms on my sons team are Barbie Dolls. I was looking at them yesterday in their little jeans, with their little fanny's, and I was so emabarrased for myself, my husband, and my son that I wanted to get in the car so no one could see me. I HATE THIS!
What I think is really important to remember, is that while we all want the pounds to go away "right now", we did not gain them that way. Most of the time we gain a few pounds over the holidays that we never worked off, and then maybe gain 5 more pounds over the next year, and so forth0until that day when we go swimsuit shopping, or see ourselves in a full length mirror in the mall, or get weighed at the doctor's office-and realize how those couple of extra pounds over the last few years turned into 20, or 30, or 50.

Even something that makes a lot of weight gain happen more suddenly, such as a pregnancy-still takes 9 months to put on.

Our bodies don't gain 20, 30, 50, or more pounds in a month...so it is very unrealistic to expect them to come off at that rate-even as much as we would like them to.

I would first of all, not get too hung up on the scale for your only show of "results". The scale is only part of the story, as there are 150 pound women who are flabby and unfit, and there are 150 pound women who are firm and muscular and athletic. Body composition is a huge thing.

Weigh in only once a week, so that you don't get caught up in the daily little ups and downs that get you frustrated. Also, reward yourself not so much for pounds lost on the scale-but reward yourself for the things you CAN control. Buy yourself a new lipstick, or some other small treat each week that you exercised daily and stayed on track with your diet regime. It will give you something positive to look forward to, something besides just a number on the scale.

Also, during this time, take care of yourself, and notice all of the postive things that go along with eating right and exercising-better looking skin, more energy and stamina, better quality of sleep at night...there are a lot of postive things you can see and feel to know that good things are happening inside our bodies.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #9  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

Please do not give up. I can tell you this one thing and please do not take it wrong. But you will not look like those other women over night or even in a month. I will take some time to do it. Just think of next year when your son is in that sport and how everyone will go wow,

Give this a try for no less than 6 months. Then at that point then say if you want to quite you can. However, you will not. You may need to change something with what you are doing. I am still changing stuff.

You did not gain weight over night and you are not going to lose it over night either. However, gaining is so much easier then losing.

Please check back with us.
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I wish I had of found this place when I started.

When I started I spent 5 WEEKS of eating almost pefect and exercising before I even saw AN OUNCE drop. I was so upset but I would not let myself give up. I haven't found this place at that point. You can't give up. It takes time to see changing. I am going on 3 months and almost 15 pounds lost. It doesn't seem like much when you read about people on here going on 3 months with 30 pounds lost. But 15 pounds gone IS A LOT! And it sure hasn't come off fast. In the last 3 weeks I have lost 2-3 pounds and this morning I was back up 2 pounds. No big deal, it will be back down tomorrow or the next day. Soon enough you will realize that your weight will go up and down. Yes it is very frustrating and I want it off sooner but coming off is better then gaining.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #11  

The thing to remember is this is a life change. This isn't a race. If you think of it that way, you will gain the weigh back, because you will go back to how it was. If you think of it as something you have to do the rest of your life, then it's easier to accept the slow times. Take it one day at a time, and you will lose that weight. I flipped out on Friday because I didn't lose the weight I wanted...but, I am doing the best I can, and it will come off. But it's only going to stay off if I keep on keepin on.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #12  

Frustration leads to going back to bad habits. You need to RELAX and let your body do what your body does. You will see results if you continue to stay on a good program of food intake and exercise. Giving up is not the way to go. First off, love you for yourself right now. See the beautiful woman you are RIGHT NOW! Don't wait until you are at goal weight. So many of us can't seem to love ourselves fat and when we lose weight we don't love ourselves then either. We find something else wrong with us. Be proud of who you are right now and just relax and make this a lifestyle change not a quick fix and you will find that it will work for you.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #13  

You guys are the greatest! I went home for lunch and instead of binging, I had a salad with x-virgin olive oil. It was delicious, and I feel better for it. I'm going to go home and get on the treadmill for 1/2 hour (maybe more if I can) and I'll eat sensibly for dinner. This support system is like none other, and I truly believe that you all are godsends!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

good for you, finding that positive attitude is a crucial step. Everyone here will support you in your time of need. Great Job.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJFan
Hi Babsy, if you're exercising more, you're probably converting fat to muscle which is more dense so you're probably losing inches. It also burns up to 50 calories per pound at rest versus only 2 or 3 calories per pound at rest as fat. Hence, you' re bumping up your metabolism. Don't quit, you're just getting started on a great new you!!
ITA (I totally agree)
Hugs babsy, you are going to get there. I just beat a 5 week plateau. Trust me the hardwork will pay off in the end. Stick with it.
Karma27 is offline   Reply With Quote