Carb Counters - Weekly Chat, May1-7/06

View Full Version : Weekly Chat, May1-7/06

RobinW
05-01-2006, 09:05 AM
pinch anda punch no returns :p .....this is what woke me up this morning at 630am!! :dizzy: My dd is at her dads and on the 1st of the month, this has always been a thing to do....call family(me!) and be first to say this. If you're lucky enough to be there in person, you get pinched and punched in the arm :lol: dd loves it !!

I cant believe its the first of May already! Its suppose to get up into the 70's here today, so I think I'll get my walk in before it gets too close to that number. Dh is working on a jobsite today, so Im fending for myself. I think it will be a good day to get some laundry done, maybe even some vacuuming and dusting.

Have a great day ladies!

lady_adnerb
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Robin: glad I don't wake up to that.....I don't do mornings well (and had a nightshirt that said that as well :lol: ). Happy May Day!!

Well, I'm back and ready to re-do what I wrecked. My gut is just SICK (mix of TOM and the junk I'm sure). I can't wait to feel better again! All I want to do is crawl into a hole. Well, it's OP eating and water for me today. Can't stomach (no pun intended) exercise today. I'll be lucky to get water down.
:wave: Hi everyone!!

Leenie
05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Morning Ladies and Happy May :s:

Falon
05-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Morning Girls:

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. I got on the scale this morning, and was down a pound, but i'm just going to keep an eye on that and not get to excited. I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks.. Had my brothers visit, and then TOM decided to drop by the following week. *sigh* So maybe I can get back on the excersise this week. Moose starts baseball practice tonight, so maybe I can walk the track there.

Anyhoo - nothing going on here, just a long lovely weekend, and now back to the grindstone.

Have a good one ladies. My laundry's calling me.. unfortunately.

tammy1214
05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Robin-pinching and poking? I get some of that! I have a four year old son and he is not into mom sleeping...ever!

lady adnerb-I saw your pics and read several of your posts...I agree you look great! I don't know where you started from but right now just to be to where you are would be great...I'm at 163 right now and I feel like I will never get there. Hang in there and dont beat yourself up. Just one step at a time. Your made of the right stuff to get'er done or you wouldn't have made it this far!

Leenie-a big wave and HAppy May to all as well!

I had a good week end I bought two pairs of pants (three sizes down from where I started!!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: ) and my daughter hugged me this morning and said...Mom I can put my arms all the way around you now (at just below breast level)!!!:D :D :D

So that's a good start for the week!

You all have one heck of a day!!;) ;) ;)

hockeyfan7
05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Good afternoon everyone! It was a great day yesterday -- our unwelcome houseguest left for the day while we were at church and didn't come home until after I went to bed. He's talking about leaving to scope out Phoenix tomorrow -- he said he'd be back on Friday and John told him he couldn't come back -- he would have to take everything with him tomorrow. I can't wait! Never again if it's not a relative.

My skirt is tight from eating off plan yesterday. Back on track today.

It's gorgeous and sunny and warm here. I may have to go for a walk tonight when I get home.

Falon, sorry but TOM is not an excuse to skip the gym! Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Happy May Day everyone -- go outside and dance around a flag pole!

lilybelle
05-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone, recovering from this surgery has been a little depressing. My weight is staying the same , so far. I had unrealistically thought that I could go back to walking a few days after surgery, now I see it's gonna be a lot longer than that. I'm eating the right food, but don't expect to see any more weight loss til I can exercise. My stomach is still very swollen and hard. I feel fatter than usual. Took 2 correctol today and hope these will help. No #2since last Tuesday. Since I had Lysis of Adhesions in 10 places besides the 2 hernias repaired, I am pretty miserable. Post-op appt. next week, hope everything is healing well. Sorry to sound so down and hope everyone else is doing great.

Ciarra
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Happy first day of May!
My scale dropped yet again. My husband said my face looked thinner so I weighed again and it said 171. Not gonna question the whoosh fairy, just glad she made it to Texas. Now just 6 more pounds.....
Seems like Tom always gets me stuck but once it is gone I have a week or 2 of losses.
Robin; never heard of the pinching thing. I'll keep that to myself around here though. My hubby and son would gang up on me.
Tammy: 3 sizes down is awesome!
Lily: You will feel better soon and the swelling will leave and I know you will be happier with your tummy. You have done so very well and I just know it is gonna work out great for you.
Susan: Glad to hear the houseguest is leaving!
Brenda: loved you pictures. Great job!
Sounds like everyone is doing laundry today. Me too. Just a beautifull really warm day and hung mine out on the line. Save a little electricity where I can. And it always smells so great when it line dries.

M&Gmom
05-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Evening to you all. Hope your May Day has been great.

Nothing much new in my world. Sleep deprived as always. Have had my DS with me today because he acquired a cough over the weekend and I didn't want him spreading it around at the babysitters house.

Brenda - glad to see you back...we miss you when you're gone.

:wave: to everyone else too. Sounds like you are all doing great.

indiana_treat
05-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey ladies. Day eight of induction and I'm into a pair of pants that I couldn't get into months ago. But I must admit that they are indeed snug. Congrats Ciara on your weight loss. I have opted to clean my house instead of workout today....oh well.

Tiffany_Bracelet
05-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I officially started over yesterday. I kinda got somewhat of a headstart last week. I am down two pounds and have an awful headache. I don't know if my BP is up or what. I've had this null headache about two weeks.

I bought some dressing from Olive Garden. That is really helping me to eat at least one salad a day.

I really have to get this weight off, it's grossly affectly my moods and BP.

RobinW
05-02-2006, 12:12 PM
:wave: Im here....retaining water like a big huge sponge!!! Even my sunglasses left dents in my nose!!! Its that premenstral, perimenopausal, allergin attack on my system. I drank 92oz of water yesterday, and only p'd 5x all day :eek: So, Im hitting the protein and extra eggs today to see if I can get rid of at least 1/2 of whats going on in my body. Im so tired too! Just feel blecky! :p

Im off to the gym this afternoon. I dont know how much Im going to be able to do, but I'll give it my best effort. Have a great day ladies.

hockeyfan7
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Morning ladies!

New developments in the unwanted houseguest deal. He called his parents yesterday and was trying to get money out of them to go to Phoenix and they told him no way. Then he asked to stay with them for 3 weeks until his boss is ready to take the RV to Phoenix and they said no way. We've said no way past this coming Sunday. So, he has no place to live after Sunday and no money to get anywhere. So last night, out of the blue, he decides to join the Marines! He apparently had been thinking about it and had called a recruiter and they said they'd take him if he signs up for 4 years. He was in the Marines years ago out of high school. Guess he figures the government can support him for the next 4 years since no one else will.

Falon, I'm still not buying TOM as an excuse for staying away from the gym -- sorry my dear. You can walk on the treadmill even if you have to walk slower. At least we have good weather here today -- you can go take a walk outside. I'm not looking forward to cold weather on Thursday again.

Lillybelle -- take it easy until you feel better. That's major surgery, so it may take you a while. I'll bet you see a drop in the scale once you are recovered completely and it will surprise you. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Ciarra - sounds great on the weight loss -- good job!

Jackie - when DS takes a nap, you sneak one in too. Naps are the best!

Indiana (sorry, don't know your name) - cleaning house is exercise. You stoop, walk, bend, carry, lift, etc.

Tiffany - did you give up caffeine? Or cut back? That can give you a headache for weeks.

Robin - the water will disappear. And a workout really will make you feel better even if Falon doesn't believe me (hee hee).:D :D :D

SherryA
05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Good morning girls. How is everyone? I'm not back on Atkins, and thinking I won't go back now. A couple of months ago I joined Zooba, and yesterday they sent me a book that I ordered. It's called "French Women Don't Get Fat". I started reading it last night and it sounds like the sort of thing I've been looking for. We all talk about low carb being a "lifestyle", but I've always had my doubts that I could live with it that way. And my many failures and deviations from plan have convinced me that it isn't something I can ever hope to do long term as in forever.

I do think I've learned a lot from low carbing and I do think the principles are sound. I think eating healthy meats, vegetables, fruits are the right way to eat. I do think too much bread is bad. I do think too many sweets are bad. But I don't think complete denial of the things we love is ever going to work for me. So I think I need to learn a different way of eating, a way that allows me to completely enjoy all the foods I eat, but that also teaches me to limit the things that cause me harm.

I'll still keep posting here if you'll have me, but I really want to try this other method for awhile. She starts by having you record all that you eat for 3 weeks. Then you look at what, how much, and when and you check for "patterns". Having found the things that you are eating out of balance, too much of, you then begin to limit those things. Saving your "treat" for the weekend, not eliminating all treats. She has wonderful recipes and different ways of making various foods, talks about a different philosophy, about quality over quantity, about eating in "courses" with beautifully decorated servings. About eating slowly and enjoying the food, but eating smaller courses, and enjoying the whole meal. She says that the greatest pleasure we get from food is in the first 2 or 3 bites. Which makes sense to me. I've noticed that myself after a fast. 2 or 3 bites taste wonderful, after that the pleasure begins to dim. She says that Americans don't always go for the best quality foods, so we rely on getting our pleasure from quantity rather than the superb taste of foods. Too we eat on the run too much and aren't focused on the pleasure of our meals.

It is a very interesting book, she was brought up on France, but came here as an exchange student, discovered chocolate chip cookies and brownies here and then went back home 15 pounds fatter. Gained another 10 after being home, until her "Doctor Miracle" helped her to figure out how to take care of it for the rest of her life. She lives between France and New York now and has advised others on how to eat to find your own personal "equilibrium" (what someone here called being "normal").

It isn't a rapid thing, it seems to be a genuine lifestyle change. I love the way it sounds. I sure want to try it.

Ms Spotdog
05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, Sheri, I am glad that you have discovered that you aren't really a carb addict and are changing to another way of eating that will suit you. I wish you good health and good luck. For those of us who are carb addicts and have found this wonderful method of controlling the madness, having a little 'treat' here and there is not an option. You wouldn't expect an active member of AA to drink a little bit but "just on the weekends". This WOE is something that we carbs addicts need in our lives but I understand that it isn't for everyone.

Hope everyone is having a beautiful, sunny spring day - AND enjoying it!

Kel

RobinW
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Robin - the water will disappear. And a workout really will make you feel better even if Falon doesn't believe me (hee hee).
....ok, well I dont feel any worse after my workout :lol3: BUT I did go. The water is leaving too, but I still look like a swollen sausage. Dh asked me how he could help....I told him to find that hidden drain on me somplace, and unplug it!!! :lol:

Sherry~ good luck with that. I watched the oprah show a while ago, that had her on it. I liked the idea, but I knew I couldnt do it. Hopefully you will find your "normal" with this particular way of eating.

hockeyfan7
05-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Sherry, of course you can still post here -- we'll still take you. Keep us posted on what you think and how it works for you.

My weakness is candy -- and I just need to stay away from it -- it's not good for me. It's nothing but sugar.

I think I'm almost luckier than the rest of you. I can't have bread, pasta, cookies, cake, pie, donuts, bagels, muffins, pizza, etc. So I'm not tempted by those things. I also can't go into a restaurant and have french fries even though they are potatoes because they don't use a separate fryer from the breaded foods. I can't have mozzarella sticks, breaded chicken tenders and all that jazz.

I can eat sweet potatoes, potatoes, and corn -- oh and rice which I don't really like. Big deal. I can skip those easily. And later on, I may add potatoes once a week or corn once a week.

But for people who can eat all those things, I can see that temptation would be an issue.

lady_adnerb
05-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Dang, I thought I had posted this morning but I see I didn't. Wanted to keep up-to-date and noticed I slacked off on the first day. lol. I'm feeling better, but still no water intake. Slow and steady and I'm going to win this "race".
:wave: Hi everyone!!

lilybelle
05-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone, I'm feeling better today. I must have slept 20 out of 24 hours yesterday. Think my body just needed some rest. I actually put real clothes on today for the first time since surgery and that made me feel a little better. Trying to ease back into eating a little, not much of an appetite. My husband has been wonderful at doing the housework and taking care of me. I think some of my swelling is finally going down. I actually miss being able to exercise, never thought that would happen. I had been trying to avoid the pain pills, but now realize I feel a lot better when I go ahead and take one. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Tiffany_Bracelet
05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
I didn't cut out caffiene all the way but I did cut out Starbucks to only Sundays. I know they have more caffiene than traditional coffee so maybe that's it. I know I feel awful.

M&Gmom
05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Sherri - good luck with your new way of eating. Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

Lily - glad things are looking up for you.

Brenda - :wave:

Susan - :wave:

My DS seems to be better today. He went to the babysitters so at least I got some sleep today. Now I need to go out and mow the yard. I'm trying to talk myself into it.

My eating has been on plan now for about 2 months. I'm very happy about that.

:wave: to you all.

hockeyfan7
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I am sitting here at home laughing like you would not believe. Faith the cat was sitting in the windowsill looking out the window and she just fell off onto the floor. She has this shocked look on her face like "Me? I did not just do that!" She's not hurt and it's really funny. Goofy cat!

lilybelle
05-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Lol at the cat. My dog ,Molly, a big chocolate lab is scared to death of thunder storms. Last night she tried to jump in bed with me and DH. I am way to sore to let her in my bed, besides she is a big bed-hog.

lady_adnerb
05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Lily: glad you're feeling better! And next hurst to take pain pills when you truly need them. Glad you're taking them to help w/the pain.

Tiffany: Sounds like once a week is a great treat! Good idea to have a plan :)

Jackie: WTG on being OP for 2 months straight. Great accomplishment! Glad DS is better

Susan: Oh I bet that looked hilarious! :lol3:

Well, must be a thing for pets lately. Last night I woke up and the dog was right outside our door. She followed me everywhere and didn't want me to go back to bed--like she was scared and needed company. She snuck into the bedroom onto the floor there (DH doesn't like her in the bedroom) and slept. I woke up to coyote's (I think they were coyote's) howling so maybe that scared her? She still seems skittish today.
Yesterday was OP but still no water. I'll work on that today.

M&Gmom
05-03-2006, 08:45 AM
:wave: morning Brenda.

:lol: at the pet stories. Funny stuff.

KarenW
05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Remember Me?

Leenie, Brenda, and Robin might! :hug:

Im Karen and was really active on these boards way back in 2003 - 2004. I had a hysterectomy in 2004 (October) but after that I have been struggling to get back to Atkins 100%..

Well I am back at it now once again and deparately needing support. Today is day 3 on Induction.

The cool thing is that I have been running all this time. I run 12-15 miles a week regularly and do weights and abs 2-3 times a week. So exercise is not the issue. Eating back on plan is.

I am Insulin Resistant, so I need this WOE permenantly. I am also Asthmatic coming off 3 bursts of Prednisone currently so my blood sugar is totally out of whack right now. In 3 weeks I gained back 11 pounds with the steriod, but lost 1.5 as of yesterday. So I know it will come off quick. Predinsone gains always do for me.

:wave:

RobinW
05-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Karen :yes: I remember you !!! Welcome back :hug:

Tennessee
05-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi girls, I'm way out of the loop, but wanted to *WAVE* at cha :)

Tenn

tammy1214
05-03-2006, 11:49 AM
:flow2: I big hello to all.
I am just giving a general shout out to all the ladies. :grouphug: You are my sistas and what you decide is best for you I can not question.

I too am clearly a carb addict and everytime I think I can have a little of one of the trigger foods.....:bomb: away we go!!!!!

So for me, there are some foods :nono: that I must stay away from. Accepting that :tape: has kept me on plan for the longest string of time with out off plan eating (note the 5 wks 3days).

Thanks for being so open about yourselves and your lives so that I don't have to try to do this alone!

:goodluck:

Tammy

Falon
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Morning Girls:

Lilybelle - Glad you are recovering well. Everyday gets better. :)

Sherry - I wanted to read that book when it first came out, but I am a carb addict so I decided it wasn't something I could possibly do. I am one who would enjoy a mean comprised completely of carbs. Horrible. Please keep posting here.. I would hate to see you leave. I also want to know how the diet works for you. :hug:

Susan - Did you say something?? *ducking and running* Kidding. I don't feel as guilty with the excersise since I do yoga every morning... My muscles are toning more than at the gym, but Andy and I really did get off track, literally.. and need to get back on it. DD has several shows that break into our scheduling, and now Moose has baseball Monday and Thursday, so we need to really squeeze it in where ever we can. :)

Scale said another pound gone this morning. So did the digital, so i'll check in the morning to see if it's still gone. I would love the whoosh fairy to come my way, but i'll take one pound at a time over nothing at all. <grins>

Ok, kids and I are going to watch Texas Ranchouse that we recorded on the DVR. I love those PBS series. Have a nice day everyone.. :hug:

hockeyfan7
05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Morning Ladies!

Falon, you didn't say you were doing yoga in the mornings -- that is exercise. I wouldn't have given you so much grief if you had said that! :hug:

Welcome back Karen!

I was a little bummed out this morning -- it's my very last day to punch in 42 for my age on the treadmill this morning. I'm not sure I'm ready to be 43. And this will be the first time in 43 years that I have not had a birthday cake -- last year I wasn't diagnosed with my Celiac disease until mid-May.

Well, my houseguest is supposed to be leaving tomorrow. He had gone to visit a recruiter and was joining the Marines because his parents wouldn't give him money to move to Phoenix. He went to visit them last night and gave them a guilt trip about forcing him into the military where he could get killed or something stupid like that and they gave in. So they gave him money to get to Phoenix and he plans to leave tomorrow. Yippee! I don't care where he goes as long as he gets gone!

My wedding rings are sliding around on my finger big time.

SherryA
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi guys,

Well I love carbs too, but I don't truly believe in the idea of carb "addict". I mean there are only 3 macronutrients, and the body needs some of all of them, you might as well say you are a fat addict or a protein addict. If there truly WERE carb addicts then even eating the vegetables we eat on Atkins would spark a "binge", and that's just silly. It doesn't happen.

I think what we may have a reaction to, is too sudden and rapid of a blood sugar change. That doesn't happen any time we eat carbs, but it does happen with certain types of carbs. Those with a lot of sugar, or those with too much "white" stuff, like white breads or excessively starchy foods. We may enjoy that "rush" of "feel good" hormones or whatever that occurs after a sudden blood sugar change, and we may be "addicted" to that feeling. But it isn't just carbs we are addicted to, because then we couldn't eat vegetables, or dairy or nuts or any other foods that have carbs in them.

I think a large part of our problems in this country are that too many of our "treats" are excessively sweet or packed with too much sugar or starch. From what I'm getting from the book I'm reading is that French deserts are not so much about sugar, as American ones are. Most of the things she talks about having are things like fresh fruit in season with maybe a little sweetener to them. Strawberries with perhaps a little sugar sprinkled over them. Sugar itself has only about 9 calories per teaspoon. Used reasonably and in moderation that isn't bad. What IS bad is that most of our recipes use so much more than a teaspoon, getting into half cups or more.

Last night I made a desert that to me seemed a bit like the ideas I'm finding in her book. I took lemon juice and boiled it with a small spoonful of sugar and some water. Let it thicken and then poured a thin film onto the bottom of desert plates. I melted a square or two of quality chocolate and drizzled that on to the plate, then I put fresh strawberries onto the plate and topped them with some cream I whipped up with just a small amount of sugar. All in all, I'm sure the desert didn't contain that many calories, was healthy, luxurious looking and delightful.

I'm not actually on this new plan yet. Since the first three weeks of the plan involve just recording what you eat, I'm in that phase. But I'm trying to modify my ideas at the moment. Something that looks beautiful, luxurious, and sinful (but isn't really that bad calorie wise), can "fool" us into believing that we are indulging in delights that may not be all that bad for us. This is kiind of her idea. Whether it will work or not remains to be seen, there are a lot of other concepts in there that I'm absorbing now and will share with you as I see how they work.

The rest of our meal was in courses. I served soup, with small amounts of bread, then salad with spinach, tomatoes, red onion, avocado and bacon and bacon/balsamic vinegrette dressing. I arranged each of the salads on separate plates so they looked lovely. Then we had our main course which was salmon with brocolli, and then our lovely deserts that I already described.

All in all other than the bread, the soup and the desert, the meal was low in carbs. I kept the carbs of bread and desert low, by keeping the quantities small. The soup I don't know about, it was vegetarian minestrone, that had some noodles in it, from Safeway, so I can't say what its carb content was.

The meal was consumed slowly and was very satisfying, not gobbled down and still hungry afterwards. The only thing I think I didn't get quite "right" was the size of the portions of fish that we had. Fish is generally very healthy for you, particularly salmon, but I am going to have to adjust my idea of "portion" size when it comes to meats.

She recommends avoiding processed food, chemicals in food etc. Recommends variety, freshness, foods in season so that the taste and quality of them is at its peak. There is a lot here, and I'm not sure if it will work for me or not, but I do know that NO plan is going to work if you can't work it, and right now Atkins isn't working for me because I'm not working it.

Never the less I'm walking out from here with knowledge gained from Atkins which I intend to keep on using. This plan is about compensation and adjustment. It is about making choices. About having the things you love and would feel deprived without, but making adjustments in the rest of your menu, in the things that don't matter that much to you so that you can have some of the things that do matter. This makes a lot more sense to me than the idea of living with deprivation for so long that you snap and then in one day eat everything you know you shouldn't.

For me, Atkins always worked ok as long as I was cooking all my meals and eating at home, but as soon as a restaurant entered into the picture, there would be things I wanted that I felt deprived to have to avoid, while others around me would be enjoying themselves. That feeling always left me feeling that I didn't DARE eat out if I wanted to stay good. Plus the perfectionism of feeling like I had to be totally on plan, or forget it defeats me. One wrong food wipes out ketosis. Then 3 days later you might be there again. Cheat even a little, every three days and you might as well not even try with Atkins.

I can't live with that really. Beating myself up constantly for bad choices with no way to compensate for them other than total perfection, doesn't work well for me mentally. I may go back to Atkins in the future at a time when I'm feeling strong and capable of doing it without cheats, but at weak times it doesn't work well for me.

I didn't see the Oprah show, didn't even know there was one. I wish I had seen it.

SherryA
05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Susan, you and I were posting at the same time, so I didn't see your post. Your "guest" sounds like a master of manipulation. I've known TOO many like him. My oldest son is a perfect example. People like that never grow up.

RobinW
05-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi guys,

Well I love carbs too, but I don't truly believe in the idea of carb "addict". I mean there are only 3 macronutrients, and the body needs some of all of them, you might as well say you are a fat addict or a protein addict. If there truly WERE carb addicts then even eating the vegetables we eat on Atkins would spark a "binge", and that's just silly. It doesn't happen.

I think what we may have a reaction to, is too sudden and rapid of a blood sugar change. That doesn't happen any time we eat carbs, but it does happen with certain types of carbs. Those with a lot of sugar, or those with too much "white" stuff, like white breads or excessively starchy foods. We may enjoy that "rush" of "feel good" hormones or whatever that occurs after a sudden blood sugar change, and we may be "addicted" to that feeling. But it isn't just carbs we are addicted to, because then we couldn't eat vegetables, or dairy or nuts or any other foods that have carbs in them.

You have got to be kidding me!! You certainly simplified what happens to an addict. I can tell you from my extensive education and experience with addicts that its NOT that simple!

Im flabbergasted and insulted that you would debunk several of our addictive personalities as silly, and something that can simply be fixed by making a few changes. If it could be fixed dont you think we would have done that years ago?

There is room for everyone here and their opinions..........me, I dont agree with your opinion.

lady_adnerb
05-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Not sure how much typing I'll manage to do the next couple days...at least until my fingers heal up. I went to pull some weeds and had to use a needle to get the "slivers" (blasted things felt like burning sticks!) out of my hand. I can't type decent with bandaids all over and it's very frustrating to me to have to always fix my mistakes.
On a good note....I sent a resume out to the vet clinic here in town...they're hiring a kennel manager. It would be a cool job (sounds like). To be able to work with animals sounds like a blast...even if it is picking up their poo.
I'll still come and read and :wave: but I'll be out of commission typing for a while. Even this little bit made me want to scream for the amount of time it took me! ARGH!!

hockeyfan7
05-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Sherry, you made one point that sticks out to me -- it's all about choices.

For you, eating in a restaurant was a problem because of choices. You still need to avoid breaded foods and french fries and brownie sundaes no matter what plan you are following. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I honestly don't think any plan is going to work well for you until you make a decision to change your lifestyle and your mindset. You seem to think of any plan as a diet, and they're not. You have to decide that you are going to eat healthy for the rest of your life. You have to say I choose not to let what other people are eating in a restaurant bother me and I will eat my healthy food and enjoy it.

I also disagree with your take on Atkins. I lost 145 lbs not doing it perfect, but doing it every day. I started day one of Induction eating as much cheese as I felt like, eating macademia nuts and eating Atkins brand products. I never wrote down what I ate or counted the carbs. And the weight still came off. There is no such thing as perfection in life with any plan.

Don't necessarily believe everything you read in one person's book as the definitive word on a subject. This author's opinion is that you only need 3 small meals a day. Well, Jorge Cruise, who is totally gorgeous with a great physique would say she's all bunk and that you need 5 meals every 3 hours. And there are a bunch of authors out there with differing opinions from these two.

All her plan really consists of is portion control -- which is calorie counting in disguise.

The author of your book says she gained her weight overeating brownies and chocolate chip cookies in the US -- hello! Anyone will do that, no matter what country they are from.

Maybe this will work for you and if it does, great. But any program on the market including plain old calorie counting will work if you actually put your mind to it and do it. I wish you the best with it and hope it actually does make a difference to your weight loss.

M&Gmom
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
:hug: brenda. That sounds terrible. Post when you can, we miss you.

I think I'm a carb addict too....when I start I can't stop...at least with "junk". When I'm on plan I don't have the cravings for the nasty stuff. Its a good feeling. I think staying on Atkins requires a state of mind. If you aren't committed, you won't be successful. When I first started almost 3 years ago, I was in that state of mind. Then I got my job working for the railroad and didn't have a set schedule, so planning meals was hard and I just wasn't mentally prepared to stay strict with my eating. I did however know the basics of Atkins and always kept it in the back of my mind so I did eat stuff I wasn't supposed to, but NOT everything I wanted. I maintained my original loss for almost 2 years. Then in December of last year I got a regular job working the schedule I am working now. In January it just clicked again. I was in the right mindset to "lose" weight again...not just maintain. And I have been pretty successful. I have been cheat free for almost 2 months now. And really I don't have that many temptations that I can't resist.

So in my rambling, I just think that you have to be "ready" to commit to whatever weight loss technique you are going to try. Atkins does work for me.

Otherwise, not too much new here. Need to mow, but its still wet from rain we have had for the past 4 days. Tonight is my "Friday" so I have tomorrow and Friday night off....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lilybelle
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Welcome Back, Karen. Glad to have you. I know how hard it is to lose weight on prednisone. I have been on 20 mg. daily for 3 1/2 yrs. due to liver failure. I am still on it. I have found that with Atkins, I can still take the weight off and continue on this medication that I have to have. I know that when I started prednisone, I gained about 50 lbs. during that 3 1/2 yrs. and thought I was doomed to be obese. But, eating right and exercise has taken the weight off. Thanks everyone for the well-wishes since my surgery, I am getting a little better each day. I was very happy today that I had lost another lb. , will have my daughter change my ticker when she gets home from church tonite.

Falon
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Falon, you didn't say you were doing yoga in the mornings -- that is exercise. I wouldn't have given you so much grief if you had said that! :hug:

Oh I didn't take it as grief by any means. I know you were just razzing me :p . <grins> I do need to get back to the track though... :hug: Oh yeah, and congrats on your mental vampire leaving town. I highly suggest smudging your house with some sage to remove his negative energy. I do it every time that nutty friend of Andy's from Walsenburg comes to visit. Ugh. His being in my house just grosses me out!

I think i've been detoxing from the artificial sweetners, and I never expected that to happen. It's not the Coke Zero, but the Splenda I was putting in the mousse I was making as a treat. Ah well.. I am really trying to just eat a lot cleaner, and that includes (to me anyway) cutting out the artifical crap.

It's rainy, gloomy, and 40 degrees out. I'm off to fix a nice cup of Chai and work on some knitting. Have a nice evening ladies.

SherryA
05-04-2006, 02:17 AM
hockeyfan, I don't take "one person's word for it". I've studied and read many different books. As I said whether it works or not remains to be seen.

I do like the approach though. It sounds like something I can live with. And she definitely doesn't advocate high carb. It is just a different mind set, rather than a "can't have" this or that idea, it is about wonderful things that you can have. About "fooling yourself" and putting quality above quantity. About making choices that will adjust the total result in such a way that if you love something you don't have to say "absolutely no, never" but you can say "once in awhile", while eliminating less tempting (but still damaging) things.

It is hard to explain. An interesting book and worth the read. But I'll shut up now.

lady_adnerb
05-04-2006, 08:07 AM
:wave: morning everyone :wave:

M&Gmom
05-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Good Morning Brenda and all. Hope you all have a great day. I think I'm gonna measure and weigh at Curves today.....EEKS...I'm scared. But the lady at Curves came to me yesterday and said she could tell I had lost more inches and wanted me to measure so............wish me luck.

tammy1214
05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Just a quick hi to all.

May the day be filled with joy and laughter!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

RobinW
05-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Good Morning :bubbles:

Brenda :wave:

Jackie~ Good Luck :crossed:

Tammy~ Thanks :)

I found out yesterday that my new gym buddy has to slow things down considerably. Her blood pressure was 159/100 when she went for her appt. Stress has been eating away at her, and she doesnt deal with it very well at all. The dr. told her to slow it down, and if she gets any type of chest pain she has to go directly to the dr for a stress test. The girl is only 29yrs old!! Pretty scary! I was hoping the gym would help her a bit in dealing with everything, but it actually made it worse. Im not sure on how to help her with this.

Lots to do today.....have a great day ladies!

Falon
05-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Morning Ladies:

Brenda - Hope the fingers are on the mend. :)

Jackie - Good Luck! Surely you will see some difference.

Tammy - :hug:

Robin - Did your friend have a blood preasure problem before hand? Is she on medication? 29 is to young, so there must be some underlying issues... Poor girl. That must be hard.

Sherry - The carbs that we are allowed to eat on the diet are of the good kind. I don't think that they would trigger binges.. I do believe that bad ones do because they are completely empty and sugary. That is what I did. I would crave all of the bad ones, and eat so many of them during the day to satisfy it, but was actually never totally happy, so i'd find more. And the cycle would go on and on... When someone has come to the hard self discovery that they are carb addicts, to be told they really aren't, or are silly, is going to ruffle a few feathers. We all came on this journey to get healthy, and finally, surely after years of searching, settled in a place we knew was for us. Certainly nobody wants their hard work undone.. I do hope it works for you. I have heard good things about the book, but I myself am sticking to what I know is working for me. :) :hug:

Susan - Hope your day goes nicely getting your unwanted house guest out the door! Even though it's raining outside, i'm sure it will be pure :sunny: when he leaves.

The scale was down another this morning, so i'm taking it!!! *doing happy Snoopy dance* I wonder if I should change my avitar to one of those cute chicks with the 25 pounds lost. LOL Though I do like my Stewy avitar since it really says a lot to me. <grins>

Off to put in the laundry. Hope everyone has a lovely morning.

Tennessee
05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
your mental vampire leaving town. I highly suggest smudging your house with some sage to remove his negative energy.
hehehehe, my sage is looking pretty good, want me to send ya some?

Brenda, it's so cool to see your smiling face on your avitar, it makes me smile back :)

I do like the approach though. It sounds like something I can live with.
That's the key. Every plan will work, but ONLY if you can live with it\stick to it over the long haul. Sometimes ya have to look for a while and really do some research to find the WOE that works for you.

falon, when's it gonna warm up there girl? *shiver* in sympathy!

Tenn

Jackie, I bet you'll be surprised at how many inches you lost! Keep us posted.

hockeyfan7
05-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Morning everyone!

Tenn - yeah, send me some sage. My husband isn't betting he'll be gone today. But one way or another, he's leaving my house on Sunday if he keeps procrastinating.

Falon - Isn't today yucky? I just want to go home and curl up in bed with a good book. I hate never knowing whether I need a short-sleeved blouse or a sweater. It's sweaters today!

Jackie - I'll be waiting to hear those results. That's exciting! Can Curves also test your body fat with calipers? Sometimes you will see a reduction in body fat % even though you don't see pounds gone.

Robin - I hope everything goes well with your gym buddy. I started taking BP meds when I was 18 -- the doctor says mine is genetic rather than from lifestyle and I just have to deal with it.

Brenda - I hope your fingers feel better soon. Would soaking them help?

Tammy - hey there -- let's get moving! Left, left, left, right left.

Lilybelle - I'm glad to hear you are doing better. In another week or so, you are going to see a giant whoosh on the scale.

Sherry -- You are welcome to say whatever you want and you don't have to shut up ever. That's the nice thing about a support group -- we can't personally attack each other, but we can have differences of opinion and discuss and share and learn from each other. I really do hope it works for you.

SherryA
05-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Falon let me ask you something just out of curiousity. Do you believe that one teaspoon of sugar will trigger an addictive response and that you wouldn't be able to stop eating carbs? Or do you believe that it is more that perhaps a brownie or something that has a lot of sugar and starch in it would do that?

I know that some of us have eating disorders and we eat to hide or escape from pain. To me that might be closer to an "addictive" response than simply having an intolerance for particular types of foods. I do believe too, that excessive carbs all at once, has a physical reaction with our bodies, that it increases blood sugar and that affects us by making us feel "good", but that when the blood sugar drops, that causes an adverse affect, and makes us hungry. I'm not denying any of that.

What I am saying is that there are moderate carb diets that people go on which work also. Of course with them you have to limit fat. I think both work. Her diet is not about eating all the bready or sweet stuff you want, in fact she says that French deserts aren't as sweet as American ones, and in fact they are often simply fruit with perhaps a small amount of sweetening added. Last night I did one of her recipes and it was pears poached in wine, lemon juice and a small amount of sugar. They were interesting and good, and didn't trigger any binges.

Plus the meal by being consummed in courses was of necessity slowed down. (and because of this I believe we ate less). We had soup, then salad, then our steak, mushrooms and vegetables, and finally the desert. There were some carbs with the meal, the small amount of bread we had with our soup, and the small amount of sugar with the desert. But it wasn't excessive and it didn't trigger any binges.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I believe in low carb. I know it works. But once in awhile we begin to feel so deprived that we begin to resent this way of eating. We (or perhaps I should just say that I) begin to feel frustrated and as though I'm doing this much work, giving up all this and I want instant results, why? Because I don't really believe in my ability to deny myself forever. That for me causes an all or nothing attitude that I've seen in others as well. When I'm good, I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm rotten. Therefore I have been forever looking for a little more balance in my life. Something moderate that I believe I can live with.

This isn't about eating starchy or breaded or deep fried foods. In fact it is about enjoying a variety of foods, particularly more and varied kinds of vegetables. She even has a "strategy" for enjoying deserts in a restaurant. I kind of liked it. She said you can order one and "share" it with someone, but if that doesn't work, her solution is to order, and while others are eating you enjoy one or two bites, eaten slowly and savored, then lay the fork down and tell a story as the others finish their desert.

Yeah, I know, a lot of us couldn't (or feel we couldn't) do this. We've been conditioned to clean our plates, and of course, desert is the one thing we WANT to finish. Still I think by trying to think the way she describes, that it might work for me. I usually don't order desert in a restaurant, because I'm usually too full or stuffed by then. But her description of how to eat shouldn't allow being "stuffed".

Anyway, I like what I'm reading. I've never believed in the idea of actual "addiction" with regard to carbs. At least not for me anyway. I do know that I have gone into an unthinking mode where they fill up too much of my life, or a chocoholic mode where I consume too much chocolate, but to me that word addict in relation to these foods doesn't really apply. I can eat them in moderation if I am paying attention and thinking about my choices. If I'm just eating without thinking, then perhaps I wouldn't. But each of us is different, and it may not be so much a "carb" addiction as a sugar addiction, or a starch addiction. Carbs after all include healthy foods, they include fiber, they include ANYTHING that isn't fat or protein, including sugar alcohols etc.

I think sometimes the belief that we are addicts stems from the fact that when we deny them all, we get to a point where our cravings overwhelm us and we eat too much of the thing we've been denying ourselves. We try all at once to "get it out of our system". Then we go back into denial for awhile until the next time we need to succumb. That kind of behaviour LOOKS a lot like addiction, but maybe it is just the natural balance that our lives are seeking. Maybe there is another way to find that balance. That is all I'm saying.

Falon
05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Falon let me ask you something just out of curiousity. Do you believe that one teaspoon of sugar will trigger an addictive response and that you wouldn't be able to stop eating carbs? Or do you believe that it is more that perhaps a brownie or something that has a lot of sugar and starch in it would do that?

Well, I think it can trigger it in some people, but for myself.. probably not. I do want to point out something though... Why do we believe by not having a bit of sugar, that we are being deprived? I'm not refering to fruit, but to refined sugar. This is something that i'm working on personally. When I feel I want something sweet, I look at why. Am I watching something on t.v. that looks so good, I want something a bit sweet? Can I curve that craving by doing something else... yes. I have been doing this to stop making the mousse with splenda in order to get all artificial stuff out of my system.

I have not cheated once.. not once, since coming back to Atkin's. I did go off for 3 days to carb back up, but I didn't have anything other than rice. I didn't have chocolate, ice cream, etc. So, I guess what i'm saying is, if someone is having a hard time staying away from desserts, then this way of eating is not for them. This really seems to be the main point you are making: A little bit of sugar. I get the impression, Sherry, that this is what your main -miss- is. What's wrong with the piece of fruit as your dessert, like the pear, rather than having to add any sugar to it.. tsp. or not? It already contains enough natural sugar to satify the craving.. in my opinion. If a teaspoon of sugar doesn't make a difference, then why add it at all? These are just things that come to mind, but the only main point you seem to be making is a tsp. of sugar, and I just don't see any reason for it.

One more thing. You say that they aren't creating binges as you eat them. Do you think it possible that you are sticking to it the last few days because you are damned determined to make it work? Because we all can do that with any way of eating. As others here have said, anything will work if one puts their mind to it. Anything. I agree that if it is something you feel you can stick with.. kuddos! It takes a lot of work for people to find something they can keep going with. If this is yours -- excellent. :D :hug:

tammy1214
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I had four pounds leave and I am changing the locks!!

Seriously though last week I was in a step challenge and got in just under 65,000 in seven days. That is the only thing different than these other weeks so.....:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

MOVE IT!!! MOVE IT!!! MOVE IT!!! Is my new mantra ;)

Thanks to all. This is a team sucess!!

SherryA
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I have not cheated once.. not once, since coming back to Atkin's.

I think that is the point. If you can do it without cheating once, and you feel like you can do this for the rest of your life, then more power to you!

For me, there are foods that I love and don't want to have to give up for the rest of my life. I want to learn to eat them in moderation, and intelligently so that I'm not constantly denying myself and then going off and bingeing.

Did you notice though that you said "since coming back to Atkin's"? Yes, me too, I've come back to it any number of times. And yes it works for me for as long as I can stick to it without "once" cheating.

But after awhile even without actually "cheating", I find that I'm eating too many foods that are unnatural, sweetened with strange chemicals that I don't quite trust, have chemicals in them that I don't believe are good for me, and I find that with eating too many of these "low carb" foods I find that I tend to stop losing weight anyway.

IF I could do Atkins and still avoid those foods I would, but my desire for something sweet causes me to go to these bad habits, and to be honest, I'd rather have a small amount of real sugar then weird chemically foods that I am not sure what they might be doing to my body.

Atkins works the best for me when I eat clean natural foods, but without something sweet occassionally I can't keep on with it. I find myself leaving and "coming back". I feel like I need a plan that keeps me from going back and forth so much. Or maybe I'm just bored and need to try something new for awhile. I get that way. We'll see.

As I said, whether this will work or not has not been proven to my satisfaction yet. I am approaching it from the mindset of someone who believes in low carb, and I am keeping the carbs relatively low. I'm just not denying them totally.

Tennessee
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Tammy!!!! WOOOO HOOOO ^5 AND YEAH!!!! I'm so glad the woosh fairy visited, be sure to pass her along LOL

You bring up an interesting idea with the teaspoon of sugar thing Sherry. No, 1 t. of sugar won't make me binge, but there are some things that I can't stop eating once I start, and I don't know why. I can eat 6 or 8 chips or a piece of bread and not have a problem, but I can't eat toll house cookies and stop - I eat them till they're gone. Weight Watchers calls it "red light" foods, and I do think that there is some compulsion attached to them for me, even though there may not be for you.

M&Gmom
05-04-2006, 07:05 PM
well put Tenn I agree.

Tiffany_Bracelet
05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I suffer with the same thing. My BP goes through the roof when I am stressed. The doctors want to fix it with a higher dose of meds but that's only a band aid, I just want to know how to manage it. I am too around your buddies age :(

Good Morning :bubbles:

I found out yesterday that my new gym buddy has to slow things down considerably. Her blood pressure was 159/100 when she went for her appt. Stress has been eating away at her, and she doesnt deal with it very well at all. The dr. told her to slow it down, and if she gets any type of chest pain she has to go directly to the dr for a stress test. The girl is only 29yrs old!! Pretty scary! I was hoping the gym would help her a bit in dealing with everything, but it actually made it worse. Im not sure on how to help her with this.

RobinW
05-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Its tough Tiffany, she's having a hard time with it. She gets stressed out very very easily. One of those folks with a super kind heart, and wants to fix everyones problems. The Dr. told her to double her bp meds until her next appt, and watch to make sure her bp comes down. She has a bp machine at home to keep track.

SherryA
05-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Oh I agree with you, there definitely are trigger foods. Toll house cookies would most likely be one of them. I guess what I'm hoping will happen here is that I can learn to eat less sweet desert in moderation. By not totally overwhelming my body with sugar, but also not totally denying it all together I'm hoping I can find a low end balance without chemicals. Splenda and Aspartame and stuff like that worries me. Particularly when I know I've started eating too much of it.

I think we in America have a love/hate relationship with food. We tend to have such ambivalent feelings toward it. Nothing proves this to me as much at the women's magazines. I've been laughing for a long time about how I will stand in the checkout line at the grocery store and see some wonderful looking desert on the front of one of those magazines. Whenever I see something like that with something luscious looking on the front, I make a bet with myself. Before I've even looked at the magazine all that closely I just KNOW that there will also be a big front cover mentioned article on how to drop the weight.

How can they do that to us? Tempt us with deserts, and then tell us how badly we need to lose weight? It makes us have this collective guilt about loving food. Most of us wouldn't want to admit how much we "love" food, because we are really afraid that the answer will be "It shows". I think that the reason a lot of us are closet eaters is because of this constant guilt we feel about what is really natural. Maybe if we were a nation of people who know how to keep the weight off, we wouldn't find food so confusing. We would be able to just enjoy it and not live with constant guilty feelings about what we love.

lady_adnerb
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
:wave: everyone

tammy1214
05-05-2006, 11:23 AM
How can they do that to us? Tempt us with deserts, and then tell us how badly we need to lose weight? It makes us have this collective guilt about loving food. Most of us wouldn't want to admit how much we "love" food, because we are really afraid that the answer will be "It shows". I think that the reason a lot of us are closet eaters is because of this constant guilt we feel about what is really natural. Maybe if we were a nation of people who know how to keep the weight off, we wouldn't find food so confusing. We would be able to just enjoy it and not live with constant guilty feelings about what we love.

So very well said!

Falon
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Morning All:

I have to take Moose to the pediatricians today. He's had swollen lymph nodes behind his ears for several months, but now they are painful, and he woke up in tears. Poor kiddo.

Hugs to everyone. :hug: I'll check in later.

M&Gmom
05-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey Fallon, that doesn't sound fun. Hope everything is ok. Let us know.

:wave: to you all. Project for the day.....get the lawnmower running. Borrowed the neighbors mower to get the front yard done, but can't stand having to rely on someone else so I'm off to the store for new spark plug...hope that works.

Hope you all have a great day.

RobinW
05-05-2006, 02:21 PM
:wave:

Falon~ hope your little guy gets better quick!

Jackie~ how did your measuring go at curves?

Another busy day today...we are in the process of moving the office we have here in the house to a different room....bigger and more storage space. Things are going good, so we are looking at it as a step up :lol: Dh and I have to get a bit better organized, but we're getting there.

Have a great day ladies!

Ciarra
05-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi all!
Been busy this week and things are only looking crazier for the weekend.
Well Sherry, I have heard about the diet you are looking at. Quality and savoring the quality of the food seems to be the key. Kind of reminded me on the Sonoma Diet's thought. I hope it works out well for you. Perhaps their recipes might be interchagable.
As for me I'll stick mostly to true Atkins. I've talked to my husband about it. If we go out to eat I will induldge a bit with fresh bread at Italian or rice at Chinese or chips and rice at Mexican (restaurants) etc. Follows along with OWL pretty much for me. And liveable for the long term. Which is what I need.
But my big downfall is sugar. I can't eat a spoon of it. Because I want the whole 4 pounds. If I do eat something sweet, I have to eat it away from home, because I will eat any leftovers in my house. I guess that is where the addiction comes in. Let's face it while I really enjoy fruit, I'm not going to binge on apples. Ice cream is a totally different category. I know it sounds silly to be addicted to food. I do know in my case though if I eat ice cream today at 3 pm, tommorow around 3pm I'll start craving it. Same with chocolate. And my husband has the same thing happen to him.
Anyway we all have our own relationship with food. That seems to be mine. Sucks....
Still hanging in the 170's (up and down every day)..... Doing the water weight game. Hope to see the 60's by Sunday. I'm in a wedding on the SAturday. The reception is at Ponchos Mexican Buffett (temptation). I'm doing an inches off body wrap on Friday afternoon. The jacket is a little tight through the chest, hoping that will help it. Excited to give it a try. That is my mom's day gift. Tommorrow we are going to Six Flags and getting season's passes. A great way to get extra activity in. We went last year and because of our combined weight my husband and I could not ride the parachutes. Hoping tht we can now. At least I do fit in the rides now.

M&Gmom
05-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Robin...didn't measure yesterday because I was running late, but its scheduled for Monday. I'll definitely let you know. It will either be really good or really bad.

tammy1214
05-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Those who might be interested in a week challenge please see the post that says (It worked for me!)

lilybelle
05-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone, I'm just checking in. I am feeling so much better. Dressed in real clothes today and my jeans are getting very loose. Yah. Good luck to everyone and well wishes for all.

hockeyfan7
05-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Afternoon everyone!

Let me tell you a little story about carbs . . .

Yesterday morning I wanted oatmeal for breakfast and oatmeal is supposed to be good for you right? I have this organic oatmeal at home that has no processed ingredients in it -- all natural stuff. I occasionally eat a few carbs.

I grab a packet out of the box and mix it up with flaxseed and raisins and a little skim milk. It was about 9:00 a.m.

About 11:30, my stomach started to hurt really bad, so I figured I'm hungry and it's time for lunch. So I had my lunch which was a chicken salad. Then I'm really, really nauseated, lots of gas, bloating, and a super bad stomach ache.

By 1:00, I thought I was going to pass out or throw up or both. So I looked at the packet of oatmeal I'd eaten.

Guess what? There's a packet in the box that is a multigrain organic oatmeal mix -- and it had organic wheat flakes in it.

I did learn that it only takes about 3 hours for the food to pass through your stomach and get into your small intestine where the wheat reacted with my Celiac and it takes a whole lot longer to come back up and get out of your system.

I'm still feeling queasy today. Yuck! I was poisoned by my oatmeal!

Ciarra
05-06-2006, 03:12 AM
Susan:
I hope you are feeling better soon. What about Cheerios? I had no idea that oatmaeal would have wheat in it.
Lilybelle:
Glad to hear you are feeling better and wearing your smaller clothes!

SherryA
05-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Really Susan that sounds awful. It reminds me of people who are allergic to peanuts and who have to be so very careful about even trace amounts that might exist in candies that have been cooked in the same pots (or whatever) as have been formerly used to cook some with peanuts.

It is a very scary thing to have such a serious food intolerance and to have to be so careful.

It really makes me wonder sometimes how much of these types of things have to do with the state of our immune systems. I think this world is so full of pollutants and strange things that confuse our immune systems, that they overreact on things that SHOULD be natural and ok for anyone.

Stress too, weakens our immune systems. We live in such a stressful society, that we read more and more about people who can't tolerate ordinary things. Like I was reading about people who have terrible allergic reactions to even smelling someone else's perfume or even the scent from their deodorant or other cosmetics they use. To me that sounds like an immune deficiency disorder.

I'm sorry you had to experience this, it must feel awful to have to be so afraid of accidentally eating something that will make you feel that way. I hope you are feeling better.

So is it only wheat? You can eat oats then? I wonder what the difference is.

hockeyfan7
05-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I can't have wheat, barley, or rye and the oats must be organic. They can't have been grown in the same field as wheat.

Cheerios unfortunately have barley malt flavoring.

I don't eat carbs that often, but every once in a while I want oatmeal for breakfast. It's one of the better carbs you can have if you are going to splurge.

lilybelle
05-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Susan, sorry to hear about your allergy problem. I was shocked last summer when I found out that I'm allergic to shellfish. I had crab legs and shrimp and ended up in the hospital. They were great for my low-carb woe, but I can never have them again. I know that I have immune system disease, because I have auto-immune hepatitis which has caused my liver to fail. I hope to get a liver transplant after I get all my weight off, but now with losing the weight, my liver-enzymes have went down four-fold which is fantastic for me. I still take steroid (prednisone) every day of my life and this has made weight loss a little more challenging,but it can be done. good luck to you and be very careful of what you eat.

KarenW
05-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Everyone!

I come back then go MIA.. What a week!

My hubby was out of town and I am getting ready for my family to decsend on us this week for my youngest's first COmmunion. Talk about stress city!

SOmeone mentioned about sugar really causing a carb craving or going off plan. I can tell you that is a problem I have. I cannot have ANYTHING that might have real sugar in it. I am Insulin Resistant. Sugar will totally mess up my blood sugar .. even just a couple of pinches. Other processed carbs like white flour arent as bad, but sugar.. every single time.

You really cannot collectively say that it is riddiculous to think that way. Many of us on Atkins, are on it for health reasons. I was prescribed atkins by my doctor, believe it or not. I have never felt better in my entire 39 years as I have since being on Atkins.

I have also learned that I am allergic (severely) to Tree Nuts. This puts a major dent into my diet as Macadamias are the worst offenders.

However, the one thing that I have discovered is Flax Meal. I posted earlier this week the recipe for the 1-minute muffin. if you havent tried it.. It makes a wonderful 1 carb breakfast.. and it fills me up! All the antioxidants and the Omega-3s are a plus too!

nasus40
05-07-2006, 10:05 AM
HI all I am not going to try to catch up though I have been brousing. Again.

Work is going and that is all I will say there will be an explosion this week and I can not wait to see what is going to happern. I am hlding on to my seat, but also I will be finding my resume and working on trying to beef it up. it is a mess I have not ween it since 4 years ago and it is not on any of these computers that I have. I will have to start from scratch. UGH!!!

Diet wise I have been skimming the plan so not OP but not as bad as when I am off. Exercise since my toe is starting to feel better (dropped a 25 lb weight on it from standing position over a week ago, nail is going to fall off but after my pedicure I am not willing to take the polish off as it will look gross and if i see it looking gross it will hurt more don't you think?? ) But any ways I can finally wear my sneaker and have been doing more again.

I hope to keep up with all of you guys this week.

lilybelle
05-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi all, I'm recovering greatly and the pounds are coming off. I feel so much better. Will start walking again as soon as I'm comfortable.

Ciarra
05-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi!
Rainy weather here. Kind of dismal.
So I went shopping for the upcoming swim season. Got 3 swimsuits.
1 is a one piece bright blue in a large.
The other 2 are 2 piece suits. And they look pretty good. I could do with some more toning, but truly they look pretty good.
And the great news is they are all new last year 's swim suits found at a closeout store. Total was $17.

Gotta get back into exercising. All this rain has not been walking friendly and having problems motivating to do my dvd's. No excuse other than lack of motivation.