Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default Going to the Movies... (HELP!)

My grandmother just called, since I moved back to town she's just thrilled to be able to bond with me (She's having a mid-life crisis of sorts!) So she's invited me to the movies...

She's a WW lifetimer, so she definately knows what I'm going through with my new changes! But... to cut to the chase...

I'm scared I'm going to eat a ton! I love movie popcorn (who doesn't!??!) and I love snacks!! So now I am trying to think of ways to avoid the dreaded popcorn! (I really don't want to waste 10 points on popcorn!!)

What do you do when you go to the movies??
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #2  
I restore Teeth.

lol, get it lightly salted and non buttered (small sized!) and a bottle of water. It'll be fine! Sides, I think lightly salted and no butter tastes a lot better than the heavy buttered and salted popcorn. Avoid the soda!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #3  
Meg

Or sneak your own legal treat in with you.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

When I go if I have to have something (I dont really like popcorn) I get Junoir Mints. I can only eat a couple before I have had enough and they really aren't that bad for you (calories/fat wise).
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

i would sneak in an orange (already peeled!) and maybe a few crackers
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #6  
LLV

Yep, sneak in your own snacks in your purse.

DO NOT eat movie theatre popcorn. Lightly salted and ubuttered doesn't really make any difference because of the oil they pop the corn in to begin with. It's just that adding the butter adds insult to injury, that's all that is.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #7  
South Beach Life Style

I always eat before I go, and take a snack of my own with me...
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Yah I would sneak my own in too. <G> Or just drink water. NO WAY would I eat movie theater popcorn LOL. You can "live" through a movie without eating anything.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

view it as an opportunity to learn how to do it healthy! visualize yourself only eating your own yummy treat! have fun!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #10  

I handle the movies like I do any other planned social event. I have a healthy snack before I go. For me, though, it wasn't so much about avoiding movie popcorn as it was learning not to asscoiate specific events with food. Everything I used to do revolved around food ( going to the movies was as much about the snacks as the movie itself). I realized early on that I was going to have to re-teach myself to see events for what they were. Movies are for being entertained, parties are for visiting, lunch with friends is for catching up with one another, etc. That isn't to say that I never partake in the food aspects of these things - I do and I enjoy it - but it is no longer the first priority. I mean, there is no law that says I HAVE to get popcorn just because I'm at the theatre.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #11  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Thank you so much everyone!

I have my purse packed I've got some celery sticks and carrots and some popcorn I popped myself (1 serving 94% Fat Free...) and a bottle of water! So I'm good to go and I won't fall off the wagon!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #12  

Wyllen and Lucky... oh you are both SO smart! Wish I'd said that!!! Right on!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

i never get anything at the movies. once you make in into the theater and the movie starts, its pretty easy (who wants to get up inthe middle of a movie?). so don't go hungry and don't plan on eating anything there-- also think about how EXPENSIVE it is to buy movie popcorn/candy.

if i get anything, it is usually a diet soda.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #14  

Exactly, kms! LOL I don't go to movies often but when I do I am way too cheap... er I mean frugal... to pay that price for popcorn anyway LOL. So I don't eat.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Movie theatre popcorn is terrible. Most movie theatres don't have ANY healthy snacks (even a pretzel is like 400 calories). If I want a snack, I always bring my own - usually dried fruit or trail mix.

But, I never ate a lot of snacks at the movies even before I started eating better - no way I'm paying 2.00+ for a coke or 3.00+ for a candy bar. I'm too cheap!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote