Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:16 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Countdown to 250...August 9 and beyond

WELCOME to all who choose to stop here. We are a fun group providing support, encouragement and motivation. We hope you will sit a spell, grab a bottle of water and chat awhile. We would love to get to know you.

Last edited by thinthinker; 08-27-2001 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:19 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Brought Lilacglitter over.

Lilacglitter was on page 2 so I brought her over here so none of you would miss her. I will be back later to post responses. Gotta get to my Family Council meeting at the Care Center.

Lilacglitter wrote:
Rainy day forgot my umberella!
Its Thursday, and I have been OP...I have a tupperware box of salad in my handbag, and a small tin of weight watchers tuna with sweetcorn, and a weight watchers all day snack bar. I wonder if we get different WW products here in the UK? I have not seen smoothies or anything at the meeting, but none of you have mentioned the heavenly WW chocolate crisp bar which is 1.5 points, and I can buy in boxes of 5 at the meeting. It has real chocolate on it, and I think it just might get me through this. Each bar is quite tiny (hence 1.5 pts ) but at least it is chocolate.

Tuna steaks are wonderful! I do them in a marinade of soy sauce, lime juice, fresh grated ginger, honey (count the point for it), and sometimes a bit of balsamic vinegar if it needs more depth. It is quite 'kicky' then. I use the left over marinade as a sauce, or to dress a salad to go with.

J-Ann FANTASTIC!!!!! You got your key ring!!! Yes!! That is the 10%er isnt it? Oh that is so wonderful! And you have worked so hard to get there! I am so pleased for you - really really chuffed! I feel a bit tearful! Good for you.

Bunny - ouch, desk on foot is not nice. Glad you got your office sorted.

Cindy - Kew is indeed lovely. I have annual membership there and walk there quite often. I love the 'filmy fern house' (largely because I like saying 'filmy fern' 'filmy fern' 'filmy fern'!). Sounds like its as hot in your part of the world as it is in one of those glasshouses. Keep on keeping on. Weighing in really helped me to get real - not beatmyselfup real, just 'oh, ok, that is about 45 pounds more than I thought it was going to be...' (honestly! eeek!).

Geri - I do baked fries using sweet potatoe, and mixing a teaspoon of cumin, with one of coriander, and one of cinnamon, and a bit of soy or balsamic vinegar, and tossing the sweet potato in it, and baking for about 45 mins...yum!!!!

Diane - pleased to 'meet' you! And definitely post when feeling poo-ey. I certainly would want just as much to hear from you then as in the better times. After all, what is support for? And that cycle seat...hmm...I know where it goes...(ouch )

Canadian - Hope the cold is working its way through. And yes, the energy of teens! We should get bonus points just from watching them....

Maggie - hope Maggies Plan is going well! My breath is bated!

Terri - I am completely inspired by the idea of doing 100 miles a day in 6 months time (although I have to say it sounds completely impossible from where I am sitting (ouch) now . What a pain, your husband not being clear about what it is about the tuna dish he didnt like. It does not give you much to go on!

Have a good day everyone!
Love from a thunderstormy day (its just gone so overcast I am going to have to put the light on).

Last edited by thinthinker; 08-09-2001 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:25 PM   #3  

Hello ladies, I've been hiding out in the air-conditioned office today to avoid the heat and humidity. (so what else is new) Been so lethargic lately that I can barely stand it! Just decided that I am going to take a short lunch-time walk in a few to get the blood circulating. Oh, I didn't want to do it, but I mustered up my courage and . . . weighed-in this morning. I wasn't happy with the result, but I am glad that I did it because I now know my baseline. I will weigh-in again on next Thursday and write down my progress. I've been working so hard at avoiding accountability for too long. All of that ended with this morning's weigh-in. Thank you all for inspiring and encouraging me to get to this point. Have a great OP day and remember to drink plenty of cool water. Cindy

bunny, I laughed when I saw your comment about the "Borg Dounts." Yup, they do take on a perverse life of their own. Last night, my snack was a single serving of Kashi Good Friends Cereal. A better choice than those fatty dounts of the previous night. You keep up the great work.

J-ann, congratulations on getting your 10% keychain. What a major accomplishment! You have every right to be darn proud of yourself. You are doing such a fantastic job OP.

Lilacglitter, what a great lunch you brought with you! I opted for the lazy lunch and purchased a Subway (brand) six-inch turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread (w/mustard and veges) and a Diet Pepsi. Not too exciting, but I enjoy it. I laughed when I read your comment about the "filmy fern house." I envy your membership to Kew Garden. It is so huge and lush. The birds are quite tame there (as they must get fed a lot by the patrons). In Kew, I was walking along a narrow path by the big pond and a goose saw me. He scrambled out the of water, up the bank and down the path to meet me. I was more than a little taken aback, but he was a nice goose. When he realized that I didn't have any food for him, he went away (maybe a little dejected). It was such a funny scene. Listen, you enjoy that cool? rainy British weather. We are supposed to get some thunderstorms tonight and the weather is supposed to cool down. I'll believe it only when I hear the thunder and see/feel the rain!

Hey there Geri, thanks for starting the new thread. I know that we can do it, but you do it so well. Did you get any rain yet? If we get some rain tonight, I'll send it across the lake to you, after we're through with it. have a good one!
Old 08-09-2001, 07:16 PM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! I promised I would be back later and here I am. I don't know if you guys consider it a promise or a threat! But here I am just the same.

I am having a great day. OP once again. I made apple salad this morning and then of course just had to have some right away. I also cut up a watermelon, YUM! I used some of that left over pork roast and did bar-b-q pork sandwiches with some homemade, low-fat potato salad for dinner. Not bad.

I am working all day tomorrow too. An audit and a department store. I also have a theatre job I need to do either tomorrow or Saturday, I'll have to see if the heat will let me off the hook and if I feel like it after the rest of the day. Ooooooo it's nice to be self-employed and do things when you want to!

Cindy: 2 donuts, big deal. Count 'em and move on. You CAN do this! Don't let it set you back. * Yes, we got rain. For about 3 minutes, twice today. BIG DARN DEAL!!! Supposed to have thunderstorms tonight but we'll see, I'm not holding my breath! * I think you wrote once that you take the subway to work, did you get tied up in that tragic accident in the Chicago subway today? It made the news here. * Thanks for the compliment on the thread starting, but I just feel bad it seems to always be me.

Bunny: Thanks for the info on the website. I will have to check it out. * I like bras too, but I am not a fan of underwires and it's hard to find pretty BIG bras without them. Krispy Kreme's are something I need to stay away from. They are soooo easy to eat, you can have a whole dozen gone before you even realize it. 5 Points a piece!!!!

J-ann: Your key chain!!!! How cool! Congrats to you!!! And another 5# WoooHooo!!!

Lilacglitter: Your tuna marinade and the baked sweet potatoes sound wonderful! You went to work with your day well planned and you're on your way to another BIG loss!!!

Gotta run. The guys are waiting for me for a movie. Love to all.

Challenge yourself all the days of your life.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:18 PM   #5  
Thin Within

HOWDY YA'LL

It has been so hot and humid today and now I hear thunder in the distance. It would be marvelous if it would rain and cool it down from the 84 degrees it is right now. UGH. Well folks my Thin Within was in control this day. I ate a larger breakfast [not as much as in the past but more in the recent present] and only had a few points left for the bulk of the day I had to face. This is a 19 point day. We were out running errands at noon and stopped at Subway where I got a 6 inch 5 point sub. I only felt like eating half so that is what I did and had the the other half for dinner. Now I have 4 points to spend on some freah peach slices in awhile. Life is good when in control.

GERI Thanks for a fresh thread. I gotta go back and read the end of that last one for when I blink or sneeze you all zoom ahead and I have to play catch-up. I got an e-mail from Suzanne and she said she would work on getting the "Change Avatar" fixed today and guess what! She did, bless her heart and I was able to put the little "blue bird of happiness" up. None of my great little fairys would fit so I will use them at the end of my posts till I run out so as to spread some "pixie" dust on you ladies to help your programs. That way if you want any - just take em.

CINDY Don't knock good ole "Subway." Check out what I had for lunch and dinner. Girl you deserve a medal for going out in this weather and taking a walk! But since the "accountability bug" has bitten you ~ no telling what momentum your program will take. You go girl!

LILAC good going with that planning ahead and taking a good lunch. You will be rewarded for efforts such as this. Losses at the scales await you.

Maggie trying to stay cool in hot muggy steamy humid Tennissee

Last edited by Maggie; 08-09-2001 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:09 PM   #6  

Today was my day out with a girlfriend. We went to a local Chinese buffet (there's not much out in my neck o' the woods -- so the choices are severely limited when we eat in my town instead of her city). Only had a couple cups of eggdrop soup and a single spring roll. Not bad -- and better still, this is what I actually usually get there -- never have been a big fan of Chinese buffets I guess. No walking today 'cause my foot still hurts after dropping the hutch on it ... but we'll be walking like mad tomorrow as the start of the shopping-weekend is upon us.

Lunacat - Accountability is a darn big word. Scary one sometimes too, imo. That is, however, what I love about following WW really. I lost a good deal of weight (and gained not much of it back) a few years back entirely because the accountability is what I need to motivate me to change my behaviours. Good luck with your new resolve -- though I feel sure you won't need luck.

Lilacglitter - I think we must have different WW snacks here than you do there - but I don't really know. I know that I hated the 2 pt bars they sold me at my first weigh in (you can sell me anything if you tell me it will help me with cravings -- I'd buy paste if someone said, "gosh, it works on my pasta cravings like nothing else" LOL!).

Geri - I'm a big fan of underwire bras 'cause they keep the gals separated which matters to me for some reason. LOL! But then I wear 'em as outer wear in the summer so really, my opinion has to be seen as suspect in this matter. I learned HTML (and some limited java, etc) in order to build my website so I'm darn pleased with it.

Maggie - Subway sandwiches are one of my favourite things. Since we eat out all the time, this is a good thing I figure (my husband prefers McDonald's -- and I like their Salad Shaker thingies but not as much as a sub 'cause they aren't as filling).

Well -- its hot and muggy and just gettin' done sprinkling here and I have lots more work to do before I get to my bath and bedtime ritual, so I'm gone. Thanks for another day of support and giggles.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:08 AM   #7  
Thin Within

HOWDY YA'ALL

Yes it has cooled down somewhat. It is 68 as I type and that is a big change from the 80's yesterday morning.

BUNNY you did real well at the Chinese place. Good choices can be made there but their food makes me retain so much fluid but I love the food. However, I have to say Chinese food is a red light for me. Hope your foot gets better quick.

My Thin Within person is in control. She flexed her muscles and is showing that she can maintain that control. This is my very high day ~ 32 - 35. I think the Cowboy will BBQ.

Maggie walking along the road to thin being in control in Tennessee (the gif below is my Thin Within person )
Old 08-10-2001, 12:17 PM   #8  

Hi everyone
Today is just a quick note to check in, and to find out if my Avatar has worked - I should now have a calm looking white angel (not unlike Cindy's friendly goose perhaps....?? ). I will give him your email address if I see him Cindy

You ladies are all so supportive, I love checking in to see how everyone is! And I always laugh too, as well as getting some strength and sharing the blues.

I have been op so far today, but tonight is a picnic in the park for a jazz festival. I have found some tiny 100ml (I think that's 4oz in old money) bottles of wine, which is of course 1 point! Now I am remembering those heady teenage days of experimentation with a straw and alcohol, and I am thinking that the aperture on these bottles is so teensy weensy that if I get my lips over it, dont let any air in, and drink from the bottle, I just might be able to get completely bladdered and still have points for a burger.......

Healthy eating plan? I forgot that bit..

By the way Geri, I hear what you say about always being the one to start new threads. I am definitely up for sharing that around, and for stepping out and doing it too from time to time, and Iwonder if you could let me know where you get/how you attach the welcome (and other) images, as that is really nice.

Love to everyone
Old 08-10-2001, 01:01 PM   #9  

Good Friday afternoon ladies, the thunderstorms blew into town yesterday, (a little later than expected) and got rid of all of that heat and humidity. Right now, I think that the temperatures are in the mid-70s. You know, I'm starting to feel human again! I had an OP day yesterday and am off to a good start today. I think that we are going out to dinner tonight so I will try to eat a lighter lunch today. Maybe a salad and some tuna. Before I eat lunch, though, I'm going to take a walk! You all have a great OP afternoon. Cindy

Lilacglitter, have fun at the jazz festival tonight. I know that you will do just fine, program-wise. Why, you are even counting the points now for the wine. Your determination is showing, my dear. BTW, your angel looks great, nothing like the "cheeky" Kew goose. have a good one.

Maggie, don't you just love the cool weather after all of that heat? Oh, I'm a big fan of Subway. On most days, I buy my lunch there because I generally don't pack a lunch for work (too lazy, I guess). Food is fresh and delicious. I have a tendency to get the same thing, over and over, though.

bunny, you did great at the Chinese buffet. Nice control, girlfriend! I love Chinese food, but don't have it too often because I know that I would have difficulty controlling myself, and I don't live close to Chinatown (where they have the best Chinese food here). Probably the latter has more to do with it. I'm staying away from the Dunkin Donuts and sticking with my old friend, Kashi Good Friends cereal. Have a good one.

Geri, what a great meal you prepared! I am very impressed by your cooking skills. I don't cook very much, especially when it is hot out. Yesterday, however, I bought a George Foreman grill. Maybe it will help me cook more things, quicker, and make better dinner choices when I'm at home. You think? Thanks for your kind inquiry --I'm fine. I do take the subway to work, but was not on the same line(s) that crashed. Whew! I know that I was lucky because, on occasion, I do take the other lines. Life is good. No? Hope that the good weather has reached you by now and that you are enjoying the cool breezes. Take care.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:33 PM   #10  

Wah! I was all proud of how I did last week -- 'cause I ate at my minimum points all week and I even managed to exercise a couple times... but the scale said "not good enough" and told me I was up a pound. Sheesh. Can I blame the Chinese food yesterday?

Maggie -- Sixty-eight definitely trumps 80! We're gonna be visiting Tennessee next week for a couple days as we drive the 450 mile long yard sale along the US 127 corridor. If you haven't been (and are anywhere near it), give it a go -- its LOTS of fun, lots of walking, and if you plan well, you can even eat well.

Lilacglitter -- enjoy being "naughty" with your 1 pt wine. Fun, fun!

Lunacat -- we're enjoying some cooler weather as the result of some storms locally as well. It means we'll be traveling further (South Carolina instead of North) for shopping this weekend -- but hey, if its cooler, I'm glad.

Y'all have a great day! Hubby and I plan to hike up along the Blue Ridge Parkway with a Subway sub dinner in our packs this evening. We're hoping the cooler weather holds especially at the higher altitudes. Until tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:08 PM   #11  
Makin_it

Happy Friday Girls!

Well, I also am loving the cooler temps... as for the storms, well we got dumped on at the Reba - "Girls Night Out" concert last night. We had blankets and umbrellas so it wasn't too bad but I think it didn't help my cold much.

I am on the mend though. My throat is still pretty sore but I figure by Sunday I'll be back to normal. "whatever that is"

As for the food department, well I'm having trouble getting back on track. I missed my WI night on Tuesday because I was out of town and I was going to wait till this Tuesday but I have decided to go to a Saturday class and stay for the new member intro. Maybe I need to feel a complete new start. I hope the scale isn't too bad to me. If it is though it's becuase I deserve it.

Well have to keep this short so have a great OP day and weekend everyone!

Last edited by canadian; 08-10-2001 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:37 AM   #12  

Hello ladies,

I'm feeling a little better these days. Thanks for all your support and encouragement after my last post.

I've had a couple of good OP days, the temperature is more pleasant, it's the weekend (with no visitors - Thanks God!) and I'm feeling much better.

Canadian - how was the Reba concert? Sorry to hear you got rained on. Hope that doesn't set your cold back too much! Take good care of yourself!

Bunny - I would definitely blame it on the Chinese food (MSG to be precise). It probably caused some water retention - not a good idea the day before WI. Take heart, it'll flush itself out in time for next WI. Hang in there!

Cindy, isn't it great to feel "in control". Keep up the good work!

Lilacglitter, by the time you read this message, your jazz concert will be over so - Hope it was wonderful!

Maggie, you are such an inspiration. In control and OP. WTG! BTW, I just love the images you attach to your messages. Where do you find them?

Sounds like everyone is doing fine heading into this lovely August weekend. Have a great one ladies!
Old 08-11-2001, 12:56 PM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! What a great day! The temps here are finally down and the windows are open once again with just fans going. I think the one that enjoys it the most is Max the Cat though. He loves to sit in the window and feel the breeze in his face and breath in the fresh outside air with all it's interesting scents!

I am still OP. Sorry I haven't been around as much lately as I would like. Just trying to catch everything up before I leave town for a couple of days. I don't think I've told you, if I have just ignore me you won't be the first to do that but I am taking my mom up to mid state to see her brother and then we will stay on the west side of the state (in Ludington) Monday night because we will take the car ferry across Lake Michigan to Manitowac, WI Tuesday morning early and go into WI to see her sister. Then we will reverse the process across the lake on Wednesday afternoon and drive home. Just mom and me on our little excursion.

The only problem with going anywhere is you have to prepare everything for those you leave behind. I know, I know, they're 48, 22 and 20, they should be able to take care of themselves, but it's the mom in me, I guess.

I have also been working BIG time lately. Oh my gosh, the jobs just keep rolling in. I am sooooo stacked up with stuff to do when I come back it's turning into more of full-time job than a part-time one.

I went to visit my old WW leader yesterday. We had a nice visit before the meeting and then I stayed for his meeting. It was great!!! I really like this guy. He's kinda 'in your face' , in a nice kind of way. Anyway, he told a story about how his wife and his mother-in-law wanted an ice cream cone the other night and he drove them there, they got ice cream, not him and he drove them home. And someone said "Frank, how the heck could you do that and not have any for yourself?" And do you know what his response was? His response was, "because I want to be thin, more than I want to eat ice cream!" What a statement! That will stay with me for a looooong time! So when I had to do a deli lunch job today, usually I pick up a cookie for myself and one to bring home to my son. Well, today I remembered that saying and decided I wanted to be thin more than I wanted to eat a cookie. And I walked away happy with my choice!

Maggie: I love your fairies and I will snitch them and save them for future use. Thanks. Good job staying OP. You go girl!!!

Bunny: Your website looks real nice. You did a great job! I agree with Diane, you probably CAN blame the Chineese for the 1#. Lots of sodium, I never have Chineese the night before WI.

Lilacglitter: Your avatar looks real nice! Hope you got your 'buzz' going on only a couple of points last nite! Sounds like your concert will be great fun!

Cindy: Cooking skills???? Oh my gosh, you must have misunderstood! I rinse a pork roast (fresh out of my freezer, still frozen) throw it in a crockpot with a cup of water and Wallah! 18-20 hours later you have pulled pork! Too easy to call it cooking!! * Finally last night cooler weather reached us. We also had a little rain on Thursday night, but not enough to 'green' anything up much!

Brenda: Sorry you got wet at the Reba concert, but I bet you had fun anyway! That was a great lineup. Did you go to Pine Knob??? * Staying for a complete new intro sounds like a great plan. I really enjoyed attending my old leader's meeting Friday.

Diane: Sounds like you are back with it. Good for you! Maybe the weekend without guests will help you stay OP for the weekend too.

Well girls, got megga stuff to get done. I hope to be able to check in tomorrow before I leave, but if not, have a great few days without me! Love to all.

"I want to be thin more than I want to eat ice cream." - Frank Maltese

Last edited by thinthinker; 08-11-2001 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:10 AM   #14  

Yesterday we went walking all over the markets in Columbia, SC, an outlet mall in Spartanburg, SC, and then visited some friends near Asheville, NC. It was a nice day, all in all. I learned that at some McDonald's you can buy the Salad Shakers for breakfast (which beats the heack out of half a sausage biscuit, let me tell you) and that Subway is now serving breakfast, too. Shopping was good to us. I bought myself a Pampered Chef lasagne stone pan for $5 (and its already seasoned -- yea!) and a doctor's scale -- you know, one of those with the little thingies you move on the bar to figure out your weight. My first interesting experiment was to weight just before bed, and again when I woke up. I've always contended that I weigh more at the end of the day -- what I didn't expect was a 7 *pound* difference! My goodness! The scale now sits in the packing area where we can use it to weigh the larger packages my husband sends are part of his business. This morning we're not shopping -- saving up for that big sale next week in Tennessee. Instead, we'll putter around the house 'til closer to 10 and then head off and pick up Subway subs before driving to a trail in the mountains for a hiking/picnic moment. We've had rain storms for a few days now, so its cooling off. Elevation will again be key to keeping the temps right for hiking -- but I'm not concerned too much about the heat. We'll bring lots of water, of course.

Canadian -- I've resolved to go to a class on Monday (my first since joining a month or so ago). I agree that sometimes a good start is just what's needed. I'd love to hear how your meeting goes. I'm nervous for some reason about mine. I've told almost no one (except my husband and my best friend) that I'm losing weight (again). I think part of what makes me reluctant to make a class is the fear associated with other folks knowing what I'm working toward, if that makes sense.

Diane -- your environment can make a world of difference, no? Glad you're feeling better.

Geri -- I'll miss ya while you're gone. Hope the trip goes swimmingly. My 37 year old doesn't cope as well as my 13 and 10 year olds do when I leave; I wonder why that is?

Enjoy your day, ladies!
Old 08-12-2001, 10:58 AM   #15  

Talking cool quote

I really like the quote "I want to be thin more than I want to eat ice cream" I think it is something I will have to remember. Maybe even make it into a big sign that I can hang in the kitchen near the frig. Thanks for the thought!

Melissa
Closed Thread