Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #1  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Question So what if it was on a tred mill?!?!?

Ok...so I was at lunch at work the other day and all my co-workers where talking about weight loss and this and that. I had said how I just ran/walked 2 miles the day before and was really proud of myself. They where all saying things like wow!...thats great. Feels great doesnt it? Then I started talking about my tred mill and one lady said...."oh well it was on a tred mill?" like that's bad or something? Someone help me here? Isnt 2 miles 2 miles does matter if it's on a tred mill or not?!?!?
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #2  

It is easier on a treadmill, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't count or should be diminished. It is still physical activity and it is still something good you did for you. I think your 2 miles is great!
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #3  
I will not fail!

Just curious but how is it easier? Im actually running faster on the tred mill then I would be on a track field?!?!? Im running at 5.2-5.5 and walking at 4.0 I know I wouldnt be running that fast normal unless I had something to push me.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

2 miles is 2 miles!! Congrats on that, it's definitely far!!

Running outside can definitely be more challenging, often you are running on concrete which is harder on your legs, also it's not normally a level surface. Running on a treadmill isn't bad, but for me running outside was always a little harder. Keep it up, just because something else might be harder doesn't mean what you are doing is bad. Infact, it's GREAT!! Keep up the great work

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #5  

I think it depends on how you use the treadmill. When running/walking outside you have the added benefit of a varied terrain. Going up hill is more of a workout than walking or running on a flat surface. I've noticed that few people actually vary their incline when on a treadmill. Which is why I think many people assume that running on a treadmill is easier.

But, it has been my experience that I can go further on a treadmill (and I do vary my incline, speed, etc.) than when I run outside. The temperature is more comfortable and I'm not distracted by the scenery (which tends to slow me down). I would guess that I burn more calories when I'm on the treadmill for these reasons.

The bottom line, I think, is not whether or not walking/running outside is better or harder than using a treadmill. Rather, it is the intensity and length of the workout itself that makes the difference.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #6  
I will not fail!

Yeah I do change my incline. But I understand what you guys are saying. I just thought it was kinda rude the way she said it. I was proud of myself and she kinda burst my bubble.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #7  

It is easier because you do not have to propel your body forward on a treadmill.

There are many advantages to using a treadmill, though. It is lower impact than running outside BECAUSE you don't have to propel your body forward. You have total control over the incline and speed. You can use it in any kind of weather. The "terrain" is constant and smooth, so you can keep a steadier, more even pace. You can run "hills" without the jarring that comes with running back down the hill.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #8  
I will not fail!

But it's still cardio and it's still hard work. I was always taught that running isnt good for your body anyway because of the pounding it does on your joints. Thanx for all your advice.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congrat's on the 2 miles. I do most of my walk/run on a treadmill and I am proud with each work out. Don't let others disappoint you, it's your life not theirs. Be proud of each accomplishment. You have lost a great deal of weight, so obviously you know what you are doing.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

From what I've experienced, everytime I do something I'm proud of I have a couple core people who say good job, but I get a LOT of negative feedback. Thats their own thing, what you are doing is GREAT, don't let negative people get to you.

The other day I saw this girl I'm friends with, and we while we were chatting she said "oh have you lost weight? Because it really doesn't look like it". At first I was taken aback, but it's just an example of some careless person. She also believes she's a big girl in a size 7.

One day running is good for the bones, the next day it's bad for your joints.. do what you love and what feels good.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:07 AM   #11  

First of all, you've lost 47 pounds!!! Let's look at results here! Congratulations, it must feel great. The question re: the treadmill is actually a good one. On a treadmill, the "terrain" moves under your feet backward, relative to you. That means less forward propulsive effort. This effect can be overcome by dialing up the incline (I think it's to 2%), running websites have the exact percentage. However if you've improved your own performance, then that's great, well done!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well, I agree Jtoray! It was really rude of her to put down your accomplishment because it was on a treadmill! But hey, don't let that kind of thing get you down... it was a great accomplishment so enjoy!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #13  
Mel

Running on a treadmill will make your knees, hips and spine last longer. All the things mentioned above about incline, terrain, forward propulsion are true, but so what? YOU DID IT! It's great exercise and as long as your knees or other joints don't hurt, it's good for you.

Congratulations!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl
often you are running on concrete which is harder on your legs, also it's not normally a level surface. Running on a treadmill isn't bad, but for me running outside was always a little harder.

-Aimee

I agree with Aimee- It not like 2 miles on a treadmill is any different that 2 miles on ground. But you see, because treadmills rely on a movable "belt" and regular ground adds traction (more added frictional resistance) against the foot when running, it is generally harder on the knees (treadmills aim to minimize this) and thus it may seem harder to some of us. But don't let them shoot down your 2 miles! You still ran them and it doesnt matter HOW you did it; you made it and thats what matters.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #15  
I will not fail!

Thank you everyone! I try not to let people get me down but sometimes it's hard. I think alot of them are just jelious because Im not just saying Im going to lose weight. Im actually doing it. : ) Im proud of myself. This is the first time in my life I have actually stuck to my diet.