Carb Counters - How Long Does It Take To Get Into Ketosis?

needtolose4me2
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
since last week when I messed up and had some ad carbs one day, I basically started over Tuesday. I was really good all day Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday night I used a ketosis stick and it came up "trace". is that normal?should it take longer to get into ketosis? I was doing good the first 3 weeks (however not measuring my ketone levels) then all of a sudden I gained 2 pounds at which point I got aggrivated and screwed up for one day. the next day I got right back in the groove. I know my carbs are low, Ihaven't gotten on a scale,but this trace amount of keytones is concerning me. DO you think I should do some kind of fast (could onl really stomach the macadamia nut one) or wait it out a bit longer?:(
thanks
maggie

JerseyGyrl
04-27-2006, 01:44 PM
I would not be too concerned about the Ketosis Stix....they have been known to not be accurate. If you are drinking a lot of water (as you should be) or eating a lot of fat & protein, they can give you false readings.

Eating something you shouldn't, can definately knock you out of ketosis. Getting back into ketosis can vary depending on the person.

As far as "fasts" are concerned, personally, I woudn't consider a fast unless I was in a very serious stall (not losing lbs OR inches). My best advice to you is to do a clean induction (only real foods..meat,eggs,cheese, veggies, etc) and be patient. Sometimes we get so anxious to lose the unwanted pounds we forget that we didn't gain them overnite & we aren't going to lose them overnite.

All the best to you,

Kim

Tiffany_Bracelet
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
For me, it depends on the amount of water and foods that I consume. Ketosis makes my mouth really dry....so I don't go into a deep ketosis like I have before with the meat/egg fast.

Tennessee
04-27-2006, 02:59 PM
When I started Atkins, it took me three days to get to ketosis, and days 3, 4, and 5 were induction flu ****!

I woudn't consider a fast unless I was in a very serious stall (not losing lbs OR inches).
I have to agree with Kim on that one, in fact, w/everything in her post. While we all really want to loose weight, our ultimate goal has to be to develop healthy eating habits for life, otherwise we'll eventually find ourselves right back where we started from (or worse).

When you say too many carbs, were they acceptable carbs, or sugar\flour\starch carbs? The reason I ask is because I'd handle them differently. If it's acceptable carbs like too much veggies, I'd just watch it more carefully in the future. If it's sugar & starch carbs, I'd eat induction style for a few days to get my system cleared out and get back on track.

The rapid weight loss of induction only lasts during induction, btw. When you start you are loosing water, as you go you actually begin to loose fat. You will loose fat more slowly than water, so be prepared to have an average loss of 1-3 pounds per week.

Tenn

Tennessee
04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
O yeah...
I gained 2 pounds
Unless you ate 7,000 calories more what you need to keep your body going, that 2 pounds is water :)

needtolose4me2
04-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Wow! well I don't think it was 7000 calories! It was a piece of whole wheat bread, a miniature 3 musketeers anda slice of chocolate cake with milk! Bad enough I guess!
I am trying to do strict induction again. maybe I will wait a few more days to test my keytones again and if i'm not happy with it, I'll jsut through them out in the garbage can which now holds my scale!
Thanks ladies!

hockeyfan7
04-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Maggie, the entire time I was losing my first 100 lbs, I never turned those sticks anything darker than small. Yet, the weight dropped off. Even the first week when I lost 15 lbs, they never went darker than small.

Toss the sticks, eat the proper foods, and you'll hit ketosis. They aren't a reliable indication in my book of whether or not it's working.

lilybelle
04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I never had the Ketostix from the beginning, but have just stuck with the program and been able to consistently lose weight. Of course, I have screwed up at times, but always got right back on program. Good Luck and know that we are cheering for you.

Dante'smama
04-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Lily, you look wonderful.

I hit traces of ketones in day three and dark by day 4, but it depends when you test, I think your clothes and your scale are your best indicators.

needtolose4me2
04-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone,
Susan - Yea, I think I will toss them. I'm back to losing again and I have now seen inches gone so I'll go by that like you all said.
THanks for the inspiration.
maggie:hug:

longwayTG
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
hey everyone, i am new here and would like to more about how i could get back into ketosis. i was into it for 2 weeks and then got out, a big mistake... so i was wondering if anyone culd help me get back. thank you so much and good luck to you all.

longwayTG
04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
started at 163 and now 155 and would like to be 135.

ShannanA
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Day 2 I'm dark.

Puncezilla
04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi longway, Welcome! If you where in ketosis before, than just go back to eating the way you where eating. The first week is hard but you did it once and you can do it again. Are you doing atkins?

happyteacher
04-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Personally, I use the Ketosis sticks. They work well for me and get pretty dark if I have not "cheated" for a long time. If I do cheat however, I can see it in the sticks. It takes me 3 days to get back into ketosis after a really bad weekend. If its a small cheat, it's usually about 2 days.

Azure
04-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow--this is a super-old thread that got revived (from 2006!). I personally like to use the ketostix because they work for me, and keep me honest. Depending on the time of day, I'm varying degrees of "darkness" on the sticks--dark first thing in the morning, and barely pink enough to be "trace" in the afternoon if I'm very hydrated. I've decided that in the AM first thing is the best time to check if I'm still there.

For me, if I get knocked out of ketosis, 2 or 3 days of induction has me back. Which is a really good reason to take Dr. A's advice and stick to the plan--and not blow your diet on the weekends. If you spend 2 days off plan, and it takes 3 to get back into ketosis, you're only spending 2-3 days a week in fat-burning mode. I only mention this because I used to be a weekend binger--I'd do great ALL week, Sunday night would roll around and I'd order Dominoes and eat oreos, y'know? These days I don't do that and it's making all the difference for me.

Sarae878
04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm opposite of Azure. Mine are Trace amounts in the morning and get pink in the evenings. Ketosis are like pregnancy tests (you are or you aren't) if it detects anything you are ketosis. The different shades..pink to purple.. mainly mean how hydrated you are. If you drink a lot of water it is most likely going to be light pink.

SherriLAbreu
04-17-2010, 08:32 PM
I just bought ketone strips today and am limiting carbs to 20 a day. It is the first day and I am already feeling a little sick. I tested when I bought the strips this morning and just did it again. There is a slight change in the strip already. I dont like the way I feel. Can anyone tell me if this feeling is normal and does it go away?I weigh 230 and am so fat it is uncomfortable. i have to lose weight bc my blood sugar is at the point I have to take medication if I dont get it down now.

fatBgone07
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I just bought ketone strips today and am limiting carbs to 20 a day. It is the first day and I am already feeling a little sick. I tested when I bought the strips this morning and just did it again. There is a slight change in the strip already. I dont like the way I feel. Can anyone tell me if this feeling is normal and does it go away?I weigh 230 and am so fat it is uncomfortable. i have to lose weight bc my blood sugar is at the point I have to take medication if I dont get it down now.

Sherrit - I feel lousy for the first 2-3 days of induction but IT PASSES!!!

This is normal - Just hang in there!

Catmandu
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I agree, the Atkins "flu" is actually a good thing, it's a sign your body is detoxing and preparing for ketosis. Hang in there, it WILL pass.

Sherri - we have a lot in common. I started on 1/4/10 at 233lbs - yikes. My doctor scolded me and told me if I didn't lose weight I was going to have to start meds for type 2 diabetes. So far I have lost 33 pounds and I am at 200 now, my doc says I should weigh 127-140...

Milete
04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I started a low carb diet on Feb 19 and until yesterday i was on kitosis, but i decided to cheat on my diet and i ate some chicken teriaky and guess what, it kicked me out of ketosis... So i'm going carb free for the next few days so i can go back to it again, i hope it does not take to long.

sissybug
09-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi, "Really" hoping someone out there can help me. I am super discouraged , i have been on atkins for 7 weeks now, I have only lost a total of 12 pounds, and this week upon weighing i have gained 3 1/2 pounds eating exactly the same way:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, turkey bacon
Lunch: Meat/cheese
Dinner: Salad/Ranch dressing
Atkins Bars: 2 a day
Water/ and one to two diet dr peppers
Im really unclear about how many calories a day i should be eating or if i am suppose to count them, I average about 700-800 calories a day, I have not been doing any excercise as of yet due to i feel really "weak" most of the time, I dont understand if i am suppose to count how much fat I eat a day, or if i am suppose to eat as much as i can, the only real benefit i have seen is that i am not hungry like i usually am when i go on a diet. I did get the ketosis strip, and after about 3 day i am in the middle range for ketosis, but i have gained 3 1/2 pounds so I am really confused????? I am so desperate to lose my weight, I weigh 186 and am trying to get back to 140---maybe this diet is not for everyone??? someone Please help me!!!!!!!!

sissybug
09-30-2013, 05:00 PM
ps... I am not eating 20 carbs a day, am I suppose to eat minimum of 20 carbs a day, or is it ok to eat less than 20? is it important to eat 10-15 carbs in vegetables a day, and does it matter how much ranch dressing I eat? someone told me that the key to this diet is Fat intake, so i have been drenching my salad in ranch dressing, cooking my eggs in butter, and eating alot of cheese .

Dolly Sunshine
09-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Make sure you aren't having more than 4 ounces of cheese a day. I would also ditch the bars and try a different snack.

sissybug
09-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Thank you. I have heard and read so many different things...
Could you tell me if: I need to be counting calories, fat , and carbs?
Why I gained 3 1/2 pounds?
That puts me at a total weight loss in 7 weeks of only 8 lbs, and from what I am reading on this forum, everyone is losing much more? any suggestions?
Could you give me a typical day of food for you that keep you in ketosis and losing weight???

Dolly Sunshine
09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I only count carbs and keep them under 20 grams. The bars stall a lot of people that is what I would tweak first :)

sissybug
09-30-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't know if I am eating to much fat, or not enough...
I don't know if I am suppose to be counting my calories or just eating as least as I can...
I don't know if I am suppose to eat 20 carbs a day or if I can eat way less...
I don't know if I am eating enough vegetables in one salad or if I should be eating more...

Please Help...

sissybug
09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Tks, I can do that, I am not a big meat eater, so could you give me an example of what you eat through out the day? When I told a previous atkins dieter what I was eating they told me I was not eating enough fat, so I increased my fat intake, and now I am reading on this forum that to much fat will be stored as well???

JerseyGyrl
09-30-2013, 07:38 PM
My first suggestion would be reading the book ( Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions ). It is critical to understand exactly how & why this plan, when done correctly, works.
Induction is 20 net carbs per day ( net carbs are total carbs minus dietary fiber ). 12 - 15 of those carbs should be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. Cheese is limited to no more than 4 ozs. per day and only certain varieties. Salad dressing should be only 2 Tbsp and it should be no more than 2 carbs per serving.
Atkins bars are a no-no for Induction even though they are marketed as being "appropriate for Induction". You may want to read this for a better understanding
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
A typical day's Induction should look like this:
Breakfast : Eggs cooked in butter topped with 1 oz. cheese, bacon ( 3 strips )
Lunch: Salad topped with grilled chicken, 2 Tbsp. full fat ranch dressing. I also add veggies to my salad - broccoli, green beans, zucchini etc.
Dinner: Some type of beef, pork, poultry or fish, green veggie with butter, small salad with 2 Tbsp dressing.
Be sure you are drinking plenty of water and staying away from artificial sweeteners.
Don't eat anything not on the acceptable foods list.
Walk for exercise.
I hope this helps!
All the best to you!:)

sarahinparis
10-01-2013, 02:37 AM
You might also read carefully the label of your salad dressing - many are full of sugars and if you're putting a lot on your salad you could be sneaking in a lot of carbs. It's easy to make your own salad dressing, and then you know what's in it.

ebplus3
11-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Has anyone heard of optimal ketosis? I've been doing induction for a few weeks now and have shown on the keto sticks small traces of ketones (not dark) but I haven't lost ANY weight or inches. I have been eating meat, eggs, cheese, induction friendly veggies (only a cup or two), and avocado. Do you need to be in optimal ketosis to actually lose? I have been drinking my water and use very little sweeteners (a splash of sugar free cream in my coffee in the morning and a drop of water enhancer where it's still very watery but just gives the water a touch of flavor). Any suggestions? I'm getting discouraged :(