Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 06:46 PM   #1  

Angry bread products

I began the Winning Points program today - for what I hope will be the last time! (fingers crossed - water bottle and diet soda nearby

I'm thinking about what could be my first challenge -

I am trying to limit carbs - and my husband and I usually grill out on the weekends. - can anyone recommend a low point hamburger roll - or sliced bread for sandwiches?

I am not really much of a bread person - but when I do have it - I like it to be one that tastes good.

My sister who is single - tried the Wonder Light hamburger and hot dog rolls -and found that they dry out really fast in the freezer?

I guess since she only uses one at a time -there's no good way to store them before they spoil.

Thanks All - Happy Grilling Season! - my tip of the day:

brush thick slices of green tomatoes or onions lightly with olive oil - sprinkle with salt and pepper - grill till done! great!

vegasbride!
Old 08-09-2001, 08:03 AM   #2  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

HI!
I can get the Mission brand tortilla 94%fat free. The smaller size points out as one point. It freezes very well.
I also buy the generic Lite English Muffins. I think they freeze just fine, but a lot of my WW friends don't think so.
The Wonder Lite buns do spoil quickly if you don't use them right away. How about freezing them individually and wrapping them properly for the freezer? That might help. I say this because I tend to throw the whole bag in the freezer and that bread bag is really not meant for the freezer.
Some Sahara brand mini wheat pitas point out as one point.

Hope this helps.
234/thinner
Old 08-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #3  
imaleader

Default Fabulous Low Point Breads

at www.Naturalovens.com.

A little pricey (the shipping) but go to their website and see what they've got. If you live in an area where they are sold retail (and the website lists stores) you are lucky. We in NYC have to have ours shipped...

Thomas's makes Sahara Pita bread and the whole wheat pita (small) is only 1 point.

There is another brand on the market that escapes me (and my supermarket too) that has two point burger and hot dog rolls... Anyone out there know the name?

Also, America's Choice (A&P) has a 1 point English muffin, just right for burgers...

Old 08-09-2001, 09:44 AM   #4  
imaleader

Default Fabulous Low Point Breads

at www.Naturalovens.com.

A little pricey (the shipping) but go to their website and see what they've got. If you live in an area where they are sold retail (and the website lists stores) you are lucky. We in NYC have to have ours shipped...

Thomas's makes Sahara Pita bread and the whole wheat pita (small) is only 1 point.

There is another brand on the market that escapes me (and my supermarket too) that has two point burger and hot dog rolls... Anyone out there know the name?

Also, America's Choice (A&P) has a 1 point English muffin, just right for burgers...

Old 08-09-2001, 10:55 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

You'll find that most regular hamburger and hot dog buns are 2 points a piece! LOL! Rainbow, Wonder, and most store brands (110 cal/1.5 fat/.5-1 fiber).
Old 08-09-2001, 11:13 AM   #6  
imaleader

Hmmmm, Kelly, love your supermarket. Most rolls in my stores are 3 points each... Most weigh in at 2 ounces and have at least 1.5 grams of fat.... w/ zero fiber (because they're all white flour.) Love your neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2001, 01:09 PM   #7  

I live in MA and shop at Stop & Shop & Shaws here - I am lucky to be able to get a store brand of Hot Dog/Hamburg Rolls with only 1 pt each at Shaws - also I have been enjoying Country Kitchen Lite English Muffins with only 1 pt also from Shaw's Supermarket - I am also a fan of the Mission 98% FF Tortilla with only 1 pt each - try wrapping that around a grilled hot dot very tasty - my kids even love those tortillas.

Also, check those rolls near the deli counter - we have a few brands here with low pt values (2pts for Bulkie Roll) they are yummy - it really is amazing how many of the regular types of bread do not differ that much than lite versions - the price sure is different though!!!

Mookies Mom
Old 08-09-2001, 01:22 PM   #8  

Default The Sahara WW pita i just found is 2 pts

Maybe they come in a smaller size? The one I bought is 5 1/2 inches in diameter, weigh 2 oz each (6 to a pk) and 140 cal, 4g fiber 1.5g fat. They are really good, though and worth 2 pts! I usually don't like the pita pocket type breads because they are dry. I prefer the Mediterannean type w/o the pocket, but those are around 5 or 6 pts apiece. So I am VERY happy someone here recommended the Sahara ones. Luckily, Kroger had them buy one get one free last week!

My other new bread I like is the Pepperidge Farm Light Style breads. They are yummy, 1.5 pts for 2 slices (1 pt for the Italian kind, I believe), and it lasts a long time before going stale/moldy. I guess it's because it's wrapped in plastic inside the bag. I bought some at the PF thrift store that was 2 days after the date on the package, and it took me 2 weeks to eat the whole loaf. The last pieces were just as fresh and yummy as the first! The second loaf I bought at the same time also lasted 2 more weeks and was fresh, too! So really, it lasted me a whole month! The thrift store is not near my home, so now I have to buy it at the grocery store, but it's worth the $2.39 per loaf to me. However, I do plan on stocking up whenever I am travelling down I40, you can bet!

Last edited by StraitLover; 08-09-2001 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:42 PM   #9  
imaleader

Yes, they come in at 8-pack, 80 calories, 2 gm fiber, 1gm fat so 1 point each...

Old 08-17-2001, 09:51 AM   #10  

Talking Love the Natural Ovens

I have been buying it locally, also I have ordered it online. It really arrives in a timely day or so for me. I use the Hunger filler and a couple of the others. Also check out the vitamins and the Omega-3's and vitamins, oxidants not to mention the fiber they contain. Just can't find that kind of bread locally hardly anywhere.

Keep it in a freezer and pull out slices as I need them. Stays fresh and good.

Good Luck
Old 08-17-2001, 10:18 AM   #11  
imaleader

Yes, it's great bread. Their muffins and "bagels" are also fantastic. Now if only they could cut down the delivery charges, it would be nice.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:38 AM   #12  
Senior Tortoise

Thanks for the reminder about Natural Ovens bread. Boy, is that stuff wonderful. They have all the nutritional info on their web site. VERY high in fiber, some of those breads, and delicious! I used to order it all the time but got out of the habit. It freezes very well because it's very dense bread. I usually buy in bulk and have it shipped, then I store it in our freezer downstairs.

They also make high-fiber hamburger buns.

Think I'll go buy some right now!

--Lauren
Old 08-20-2001, 02:03 PM   #13  

Vegasbride -

It's great that you are getting off on the right foot and planning ahead. Figuring out what works for you and developing an eating plan that you can live with takes a lot of planning. Especially at the beginning. Everyone above provided some great tips that I have had success with, but here's something else you should think about.

You said you do not eat a lot of bread and when you do you want it to be good. This sounds like the most important thing to you is the quality of the bread over the quantity. I have found that the lower point bread choices allow me to eat more of them but the quality is not the same.

Have you considered using the few extra points and having a really good quality roll instead of trying to find a low point one that you think tasts so-so? One high quality roll a week will not blow an otherwise healthy eating plan and you do not have to feel like you are depriving yourself. Just plan ahead and cut back somewhere else during the week.

Remember you have to keep these new eating habits up for the rest of your life. If you deprive yourself, you may not be able to stick with it forever. The key to not depriving yourself is portion control. Having a reasonable amount of the foods you love and planning ahead for them is the key to long term success.

Old 08-20-2001, 05:30 PM   #14  

Default gsc - thanks!

gsc - thanks for the thoughtful post - it really helped me put this in perspective!

Actually, I do prefer the sandwich rolls sold from a bin in the bakery section of my local grocery store. Do I weigh them to get the points?

Thanks again - for helping to NOT obsess over types of bread!

Have a great day - Terri
Old 08-20-2001, 10:08 PM   #15  

On the subject of finding a good low-point bread. I usually, when I can get it fresh and not frozen, use Bran for Life. It is one of those that has a HUGE fiber content and also no preservatives so ya kinda have to store it in the freezer if you don't eat it fast enough - I never have that problem :-) Just a thought.

Happing losing

Namaste,

Nate
Closed Thread