General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #1  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Default advice on Fish?

Hey all!

So I know how good fish is supposed to be for the body, but so far I have had ZERO luck in finding something I like(ok wait thats not entirely true, I have had some sort of white fish down in Cuba that was great! but I have NO CLUE what it was..)I have tried shimp, lobster, crab, salmon, and so far no go. Plust if it tastes "fishy" I will refuse to eat it!

Help!
haha thanks!

Last edited by fitgal2; 04-25-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I'm the same exact way!!! I'm definitely a product of the midwest. The only type of fish I'll ever eat is tuna (I like the stuff in the pouches better than the can) and even that's not very often. I've done salmon, which has a meatier texture, but I would just rather be eating chicken. Last summer, I went to my first crab party and was repulsed by the piles of carnage on the newspaper bedecked tables. I don't like for my food to look the same as it did when it was alive. I find fishy smells very offensive, and I hate the texture. I've tried fish cooked, I've tried various types of sushi, and alas, there is nothing to conclude except I just plain don't like fish.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Coat it in spices and chase it down with a fabulous salad! Once in a while I try a new kind that just IS NOT for me. I cram it down anyway and make a note not to buy it again.
Tilapia, salmon and canned tuna are my standards.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #4  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I'm with you on un-fishy fish! Tuna is the only fishy-tasting fish that I'll eat, and only because it's a bit milder. For REALLY mild fish, turn to Tilapia. Absolutely delicious.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #5  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I don't know if it is becuase of the area I live.. but I love fish.
Catfish and Trout is best. I don't think I could go more than 2 weeks with out Catfish.
I have yet to find a seafood that I don't like..squid, octopus, crab, shrimp, yellow fin tuna, salmon, I've only had Lobster once in my life for my 16th birthday, as it is kinda rare here and costs alot.
Have you tried catfish or trout?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #6  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I absolutely love seafood, so I may not be a huge help in suggesting fish for people who don't like it, but keep in mind when you're buying fish that it really shouldn't smell like anything if it's fresh. Tuna, for example, when it's fresh and raw, has no scent (although it tastes amazing as sashimi!), but the canned stuff has a really distinctive smell. Salmon is pretty strong for someone who doesn't like fish, as are most shellfish. Sole and halibut are both really mild - they're nice panfried with some spices and topped with lemon juice, or breaded with bread crumbs and herbs and panfried. Cod is mild too - so much so that personally don't see much point in eating it! Go for any type of whitefish, and if you have one nearby buy it form a proper fish market. I'm really lucky since I live right by the ocean so I can go and buy fish the same day it's caught, but the next best option is fish that's been frozen at sea. Good luck on your fish search!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I LOVE fish. Had salmon for lunch. My freezer stays stocked with salmon, trout, flounder, catfish, tuna steaks, and one you might think of trying that has little fishy taste...swordfish steaks. I've found the best seasoning to flavor them with. It's made for steaks but I don't like it on steaks. It's perfect on fish though. You can get it at Sam's Club. It's the original Grill Mates blend.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I love fish and seafood.

Recently I tried some cod. It was breaded or something and I didn't like it at all because it tasted like nothing. Perhaps try cod haha
Old 04-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #9  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

try halibut...it's mild and I HATE ALL seafood too!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #10  
Addicted to potato salad!

Okay...I get Tilapia from the seafood section of the grocery store. It is VERY mild and, if I were you, I would cook it THE DAY you get it home. In fact, talk to the seafood department and ask them when their shipment of Tilapia comes in and get it on THAT day.

THEN, put your Tilapia on a cookie sheet. Mix some garlic in some olive oil and brush it on the fish. Then drizzle some lemon juice over that and sprinkle some rosemary leaves on top. Pop this under the broiler and cook it under it until it's a little brown on the edges.

Fish experts will tell you it's important NOT to over cook your fish. I'm the opposite and like to over cook mine a little. Raw fish is just plain unacceptable.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #11  

definitely don't do trout if you don't want a fishy taste.

i think swordfish, tilapia and cod would be your best bet.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #12  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Ok raw fish is definatly a NO GO!!! BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard that halibut is mild, seems to be the general cancensus also that Tilapia....think I ll try one of those...
Old 04-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #13  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I bought some tilapia the other day at Costco and it was the best, freshest tilapia I've had. It was a big package (you know how everything is supersized at Costco!) so I froze each fillet in a separate little baggies and put them all in one big bag. Then I just take out one or two fillets and they thaw out in a couple of hours. We had some today for lunch with corn salsa on top - yum.

I think you'll like tilapia - it's nice and firm with no bones and is very mild tasting (not 'fishy' tasting at all). I usually broil it smeared with a little lite mayo and lemon pepper or dip in Wondra flour seasoned with salt and pepper and pan fry in 1 tbsp. olive oil. They cook quite quickly as they are not too thick.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #14  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

My favorite fish is cod, cooked in just a little water, medium heat until it starts bubbling, then over low heat in pan with lid about 20 minutes, and then spray a little butter spray on it. BJF
Closed Thread