Dieting with Obstacles - Synthroid Question

View Full Version : Synthroid Question

JustJuneBug
04-25-2006, 09:25 AM
or maybe its with any thyroid hormone supplement....however has anyone out there experienced the inability to sleep more than 6 hours...?

i am going nuts and was wondering if it could be my meds? last night i woke up at 3am and i never could go back to sleep! i hate this!!

i use to could sleep for a solid 8 hours (which i love to do by the way); even now if i take a tylenol PM, i wake up periodically. I only take those on average about once a week, and sometimes not even that!

when i was figuring out i had hypothyroidism...i slept ALL the time and now I cant sleep like i want to!

Meg
04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
I've taken either Synthroid or Levoxyl since 1995 and certainly have had my share of sleep problems over the years. But both the good and bad times happened while I was on thyroid meds and I've never thought of them as a cause. :chin:

When I was doing that night waking (don't you hate that!), I think it was due to 1. hormones (perimenopause) 2. too much caffeine (to keep me awake during the day). Right now I'm in a good sleep cycle :D - maybe due to the fact that I'm exercising for two hours a day!

I needed more sleep when I was obese - one of the first changes I noticed when I started losing weight and exercising was more energy! Do you think your weight loss might have something to do with it?

:hug: - hope you can get it sorted out!

JustJuneBug
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
well i dont drink caffeine (maybe a diet soda a day and thats EARLY morning); and i am not sure if i am perimenopause....

well meg the answer to your question about weight loss, is that i havent lost alot of weight. I mean a couple years ago I was at a great weight (122-125) and when the thyroid got all whacked out i gained about 12 lbs i guess (alot for my small frame (went from a size 4 to a 9ish), anyway i have pretty much FINALLY lost that weight thanks to my endo and synthroid.

i do exercise ALOT and that helps me fall asleep thats for sure ( a couple of hours after extreme working out); i do think i sleep "sounder" but cant be sure. this waking up early makes it VERY hard to make it through the day! i have to force myself to stay up till like 9:30 sometimes.

well, i hope that when i go see the endo on the 17th he can maybe help figure out something.

thanks for the response...going to look into that peri-meno thing now...

JustJuneBug
04-25-2006, 11:17 AM
ok so i fall into the age group for peri-menopause, but i dont have any of those symptoms besides the insomnia...i did have night sweats for a period of time about the same time my thyroid shut down, but those have stopped.

I looked at the list of things to do for a better nights sleep and well i already do all of that. guess for now i just have to do what i have to do to get sleep!!

peri-menopausal....oh the drama of it all!!! :) God I never thought I would use those words to describe me! i feel 24 instead of 42!!!

Meg
04-25-2006, 01:26 PM
You look 24 too. ;) :D

srmb60
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
You're 42! Oh my gosh ... you're lovely and fit!

JustJuneBug
04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
*sigh* Susan you found me out!!! :):):)

jtammy
04-25-2006, 03:29 PM
I've only been taking Synthroid about 3-4 months, but I haven't noticed any changes in my sleep habits. I've always slept lightly, and awaken several times during the night, but can still go back to sleep. I hear you about needing 8 hours sleep.

Justjunebug - I assumed you were a college student - you look so young! Wow!

JustJuneBug
04-25-2006, 04:24 PM
well i DID just start college!!

proof positive that healthy eating and exercise all these years pays off!! although that pic is about um, 2 years ago! maybe 3..

thank you though!!