Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #1  

Default Really...HOW important is it to count carbs?

Hey everyone! I started Atkins almost 2 weeks ago and have went down an entire pant size! YAY! The last time I weighed myself, I had lost 6-8 lbs (not entirely sure...2 different scales, 2 different numbers).

But, I just don't have it in me to count carbs. How important is it REALLY? I eat eggs, fish, chicken, steak, cheese and LOTS of veggies. If I am not eating "white" or "processed" carbs, is it really that important?

Thanks!
hbarbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #2  
TemporaryFatChick

It depends on what your goals are, your starting weight, etc. If you have a long way to go, I think it's best to choose a plan that you really think you can stick to - Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc. all work if you follow them. I also think it's important to weigh, measure, and count so that you establish good habits.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #3  
Susan hockeyfan7

I didn't literally count them. I ate the protein and the recommended amount of veggies and some fat and just assumed I was within the proper amount of carbs.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I count religiously. I even keep a daily food diary. Too many veggies can slow your progress, but stick with what works for you. If you're losing you must be doing something right, huh? Veggies aren't off limits, and you can add more as you progress through OWL. I'm sure you don't HAVE to count, just if you see that your loss has stopped evaluate what could be doing it.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee
It depends on what your goals are, your starting weight, etc. If you have a long way to go, I think it's best to choose a plan that you really think you can stick to - Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc. all work if you follow them. I also think it's important to weigh, measure, and count so that you establish good habits.
Tennessee, you are 100% correct girl! "It depends on what your goals are" Whether you choose Atkins, South Beach, WW, etc...the thing to keep in mind is, this is NOT a diet..this is a whole new way of life! If you want it to work, it MUST be a complete & total lifestyle change. For me, that means measuring & counting carbs.

All the best to you!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Started Atkins 10 months ago today. I still keep a daily journal with my carbs written down. It helps keep me on track. Extra carbs can sneak up on you if you aren't careful. For instance, I didn't realize how many carbs were in my green beans and brussel sprouts, plus I eat a lot of salad. I just simply total the BF #, lunch # and dinner # plus any snacks. It is easy and only takes a couple min's each day. Good Luck on your weight loss endeavors.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #7  
Baby Steps

When I first started Atkins I counted carbs the first couple weeks. But as I eat pretty much the same things I know my carb count. About once a week (if I have something different) I'll count the carbs to make sure I'm within the 20.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:30 AM   #8  
Woman on a mission

S/C/G: 200/200/130

I'm a bit of a control freak...so, I have to know how much I'm actually taking in.
tickleyourfancies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

Question

I have to admit I am not that good at either keeping journals or keeping track of my carb count. I mostly stick to veggies and protein so I assume it is within acceptable range. I used to but for me it is a pain and it keeps me too focused on food and for me that is not healthy. I guess everyone is different with individual goals. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote