Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #1  
Wanna B A Hot Mama!

S/C/G: 286/208/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Any Good Stuffed Peppers Recipe?

Does anybody have a good recipe for some stuffed bellpeppers? I've seen some recipes online, but I'd like one that I could use brown rice with. And could you use spaghetti sauce instead of tomato sauce?
butterfly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #2  
LLV

I always use brown rice in my stuffed peppers and cabbage rolls. Very yummy.

I imagine you could use spaghetti sauce, but for some reason that doesn't sound good to me. What I do with mine is once I have the peppers stuffed and in the baking dish, I mix up two cans of tomato soup with a little bit of water to thin it down some, then dump it over the peppers.

I like using that rather than tomato or spaghetti sauce.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

DOn't know if you are still looking for a recipe, but I can give you mine... I don't see why brown rice wouldn't work, though I havent tried it. I also put ground beef or turkey in mine. I use spagetti sauce sometimes if its leftover. That, onion powder, garlic powder, a little oregano and basil, and sometimes a bay leaf (altho you can cut those out or down a lot if you are using spagetti sauce), a little soy sauce, a splash of worchester (if you feel like it) and then I put cheese in (but you could leave it out.). Stuff and bake...and I also parboil my peppers for 15 minutes before stuffing, so they are only in the oven about 15 more min, tops.

Hope that helps. And i do everything by taste, so I apologize that quantities aren't given.

Vanessa
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #4  

I have a few-

LASAGNA STUFFED PEPPERS
from http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/recipes.html

4 large green peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 pound 95 % lean ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 cup spaghetti sauce (no added sugar-hunt's makes a good one)
15 ounces skim or low fat milk ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg beaters)
6 ounces 2% mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Place peppers in a large baking pan at least 9x13 inches; sprinkle inside of peppers with salt. Meanwhile brown the ground beef, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper and half the garlic powder; drain fat. Stir in spaghetti sauce and adjust seasoning as needed. Combine the ricotta cheese, egg and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese in a small bowl; season with salt, pepper and remaining garlic powder. Divide ricotta mixture between the pepper halves. Top ricotta mixture with meat sauce; mound the mozzarella cheese over the top of each pepper. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup parmesan. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.

Makes 8 servings
Can be frozen

Don't forget to season the inside of the peppers before filling. My peppers still had a little crunch to them so if you like yours softer, you may want to parboil them in salted water for a few minutes before stuffing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stuffed Bell Peppers in Crockpot

4 large to medium green peppers, tops removed, cored and seeded
1lb ground turkey
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 cup of your favorite No Sugar Added Pasta Sauce

1 Cut a small hole in bottom of each pepper
2. Combine turkey eggs garlic parmesan cheese parsley salt and pepper in a bowl. spoon mixture into peppers do not pack down
3. Stand peppers upright in the slow cooker stoneware. Spoon tomato sauce over each of the peppers.
4. Cover and cook on Low 4-5hrs or until peppers are tender and meat thermometer reads 170 degrees

4 Servings
I might add some brown rice , someone else said 2 % mozzarella cheese.
Chari

3fatchicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Pound Ground Turkey
1 cup of brown rice
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup drained and rinsed black beans
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup yellow onion
1 TBS minced garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Whole Chipotle chile (minced)
4 whole green bell peppers
1 cup broth

Cook rice and reserve. Dice green and red pepper, along with onion and reserve. Cook ground turkey along with the onion and peppers. Combine minced chipotle, garlic and diced tomato and add to mixture. Add beans and rice and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

While mixture is cooling, prepare green peppers for stuffing. Cut off the tops, scoop out the seeds and don't break the peppers. Cut the peppers in half so you can fill them. Place the peppers in a baking dish. Fill the peppers with the turkey mixture. Add the broth to the baking dish. Cover and bake @325 for 30 minutes.
Serves 4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stuffed Peppers

3 Green Peppers
1tbsp olive oil
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp worstershire (sp?)
1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
3/4 cup frozen spinach
salt and pepper to taste

For sauce (you could also use a SBD friendly bottled spaghetti sauce)
1 30 oz can (the big one) crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1 packet sugar substitute
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350
Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and veins. Place in a shallow baking dish just big enough to hold them. I used a 8x8 square pan.

In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until just transluscent, add turkey, italian seasoning, worstershire, and salt and pepper. When turkey is browned, turn off the heat and add the ricotta cheese and spinach (if spinach is completely frozen you might want to microwave it beforehand). Mix together and taste - add salt and pepper if needed.

Fill your prepared peppers with the stuffing.

For the sauce I just opened the big can of tomatoes and mixed everything in, didn't heat it up or anything. Then pour over the top of your stuffed peppers.

Place in preheated oven and cook until peppers are tender, about 45 - 60 minutes. Baste with sauce about halfway through cooking.

sb-diet-plan
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote