PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #1  
New Mommy!

S/C/G: 255/255/150

Smile Hello everyone...

Hi there...new girl on the block, here!

I'm a 29 year old with PCOS who has finally decided enough is enough. I now need to lose over 100lbs and I never thought I'd let myself get that far. I'm getting down to business now and getting myself back on track. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21 and at the time, I was in the midst of a big weight loss. Had lost 35lbs and was feeling great, but then hit a plateau. When I found out about the PCOS, I was told it would be very difficult for me to lose any more weight so I just gave up and used it as an excuse. I've decided now though, that if I could get pregnant when they said I never would...I can lose weight and look and feel great!

I have a 7.5 mo old son and we want to try for another next year. I can't even imagine starting out a pregnancy at this weight so that is another factor for me.

I've always been the "fat girl" in the crowd and I keep letting myself down. I remember as a teen, having to buy a size 14 and being devastated. Then it went up to 16, 18, 20, 22...and now 24. I hate not being able to buy clothes and an even bigger motivator is that my aunt (who I always said I'd never look like) is only one size larger than me. I'm an emotional eater - when something bad happens, I eat. I eat bad stuff...I'll binge on anything chocolate. I find all kinds of ways to justify other binges too... "well, I didn't have anything to eat all day, so a giant meal from Wendy's won't hurt...I'm starving".

I'm going to start the South Beach diet and resume my exercise regime. I joined a gym in Feb. and now that the weather is nice, I plan to do the gym in the mornings 5 days a week, and then every single day, take my son for a walk.
Thin@Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 AM   #2  
low carbing in Oz

S/C/G: 85/73/65kg

Good luck with it.I do think the advise given from your doc that since you have PCOS you wont be able to lose weight , was really wrong. It really depends on how IR you are. Some people with PCOS dont have IR at all. I guess I have mild IR because if I did eat less I would lose, but the trick was getting my eating habits under control. I hear SBD works well for a lot of us with pcos, similarily lo carb seems a good choice too. The excercise will help even the most stubborn weight. I lost 10lbs just by taking up a regular excercise program 2 years ago. That was without changing my bad eating habits. Good luck
rach3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #3  
rambler

S/C/G: 296/225/170

Thin@Heart Congratulations on your new found dedication!

I know what you mean about having that person you "never want to be like". Only I am there instead of one size behind. As you said i have always been the largest one in the crowd and so felt like i was a lost cause when i began finding out how my body was working against me. i have lost and gained 25-35 punds so many times in the last several years i could have a whole person somewhere!

The biggest thing i want to encourage you with is to say be careful about everyday plans. We emotional eaters tend to be kind of all or none people and i would hate to see you break the momentum over a one day slip up. I too am newly dedicated to a lifestyle change and I am finding charting what i actually do and then looking back to see what I have accomplished has kept me more motivated than to set out huge goals and beat myself up on the one little detail I miss.

Keep up the motivation and I would be glad to encourage however i can!
ELEM-PGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #4  
A chocoholic on a diet!

S/C/G: 124/119/80 Kilograms

Height: 5' 7"

Hey there girl!
Your story sounds SO much like mine!!!!
I too was told I would never have children only my problems were congenital (hormonal problems) and that caused PCOS and IR, not the other way around.

My sons are only 8 weeks younger than yours!!
I wish you the bestest of luck in your endeavors and hope we can support each other through the forum!!

BTW I found that "The insulin resistance diet" is an excellent book and I lost 25lbs just by following the wonderful advise in it just before I got pregnant last year.
Maybe you can rent it from your local library!! I can look up who the author is ... I know my copy is in here somewhere lol With two kids, its kind of hard to keep track where everything is!!

Have a great day!
Tina
Chocoholix is offline   Reply With Quote