Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default Thinking about OA, but not sure if it's for me

Hello Everyone, I've done some lurking here and I'm strongly considering visiting an OA meeting.

I'm just not really sure what to expect, or how to approach it. But more than that, I'm scared. I'm scared of being "younger" than everyone there. I'm just a shy person in general, so I'm a little nervous.

Also, how do I decide if OA is for me?
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #2  

Please do not fear OA. Everyone there knows what you are going through, we all have. You take the first step when you admit you are powerless over food. And going to a meeting, is in fact, the first step. So, there, you have nothing to fear because you've begun without knowing it. Please do not fear OA. I believe I can be more of myself with other OA'ers than with my own family. Welcome to OA.
Carol
CarolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #3  
I've had a rough week...

Thank you Carol!

I looked up online, and there is a noon meeting on Tuesday that I will try to make!

I have no idea what to expect! Can you give me a little idea of what to prepare for?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hurray! For being willing to go!
At our meetings we sit and listen. There are times when people can share what is going on with them regarding how they're doing working the steps, what they're struggling with, success that they've had. Some meetings are reading meetings where the group reads from OA literature and shares if they want. Some meetings have speakers who share their own stories about how they've lived and learned with the disease.
What I found at my first meeting were friendly honest people of all ages (14-75) and all different sizes (100 lbs-400 lbs). I just listened for the first 4 meetings. I didn't have anything to say.
During the meeting they may invite any new comers to identify themselves so that they can welcome you and provide you with some resources. You just give your first name and say it's your first time.
I was scared to death at my first meeting. I think I only heard about half of what they were saying between my heart beating so fast and my own thoughts about being there swimming through my head. But, I heard enough to want to go back.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #5  
I've had a rough week...

I found another meeting tonight... I'm thinking I may go to that one! (Assuming I actually get off my bum and get dressed today... I was feeling icky yesterday and didn't do much!)

I'm very nervous, but in reading here (and the chicks in control forum) I've realized that I really do have a problem.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #6  
I've had a rough week...

My Grandmother called today and reminded me that I'd agreed to go to WW with her tonight... so I guess I'm going to the noon meeting of OA tomorrow! (That ones closer to my house anyway! Less gas to spend I guess...)
Old 04-25-2006, 01:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

That's fantastic that you have 2 meetings to choose from nearby! Some folks go to more than one meeting a week because they feel uplifted and strengthened by them.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 AM   #8  
I've had a rough week...

I'm set and ready for tomorrow!! I'm actually anxious for it! I'm still not sure what to expect, but going to that WW meeting tonight prepared me.

I would love to follow WW, but... I have a horrible addiction to binging