Old 04-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Default A re-introduction

Hello everyone! I thought I'd re-introduce myself; I used to post a couple years ago - but mostly in the Atkins/low-carb area. I've been lurking for much of the time, of course, as I find it really valuable to read the posts and gain insights.

I've been following a Weight Watchers-style lifestyle (not officially though) since the end of October. I've been quite successful and have lost nearly 50 pounds - I'm in the 240's now. I was living in Europe for a period before I started WW and also lost some weight while there, though I'm not sure how much.

Though I've found myself on a bit of a plateau for the past couple months, I'm quite proud of my success so far. Though 'plateau' is probably the wrong word; 'slow-down' is more appropriate. In the last couple months I've moved to a new city, started a new job, apartment-hunted etc., so I haven't been as vigilant, but over the past 10 weeks I think I've still lost about 10 pounds. At first I thought that was terribly slow, but then I realized that's still 1 lb/week! Great!! And I was able to do that without being completely perfect...for me, I thought this was a great sign that I've been able to successfully incorporate the concept of a healthy lifestyle into my life. Even on the days when I walked into a grocery store and was tired or bored or frustrated and wanted to buy some sort of food to make me feel better (can we say "emotional eater"?), I ended up walking out with some malba toast or chewing gum. In the past that would have been Doritos or frozen pizza or cheese & crackers. Though I'm still working on not eating for emotional reasons, this is great progress for me. I also try not to keep any cash on hand, as I'm more likely to spend it on food, whereas I'm more unlikely to pull out my debit card to purchase some poor food choice (perhaps it's the extra time it takes that gives my brain long enough to convince me it's a bad choice!).

About a year and a half ago, I started lifting weights regularly. Then I went to Europe for approx. 6 months and I lifted perhaps only once or twice a week, but when I came back I started right up again, 4 times per week as well as adding in more aerobic activities a few times a week. Finally, about 2.5 months after exercising seriously, I started the changes in my eating habits (i.e. late October). This is when I really noticed the weight coming off: once I had done the diet overhaul. I've been eating lots of vegetables and whole grain and whole wheat foods; I always cook leftovers and take them to work. I don't keep any snack food around (aside from Malba toast & salsa) because I will eat it if it's there (something I still have to overcome!). Though this may sound odd to some, I cannot keep Cheerios, Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies in my kitchen because plain cereal and milk is the thing that I am most likely to binge on.

It's strange to look in my fridge and see all the fruits and vegetables and be so proud. I'm proud (ok...*maybe* a *tad* resentful... ) when my normal-weight friends come by and are impressed by the foods I eat. I've been overweight since before I knew what overweight meant. I have never been this successful at losing weight (discounting another time when I lived in Europe for a year and lost probably 40 lbs - which I regained - due to the lifestyle of the country) and I often wonder why I'm successful now. Perhaps it was doing one thing at a time (i.e. exercise first, then diet changes). Perhaps I was just 'ready' to start. But perhaps I can attribute a lot of it to the weight lifting. I feel incredibly good about my strength. I used to play lots of sports as a (overweight) child, so regaining strength and a better fitness level is (happily) turning me back into an athlete. And when I take the weight-training seriously, I become more serious about feeding my body properly.

Well, I suppose this a long enough re-introduction. Here's to more success!
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back, Lekker! Sounds like you're doing great -- especially through a transition!

I'm a lot like you -- tried before and nothing stuck (except for the weight that came BACK, with a bunch of friends), and now it's working. I also don't really know why, but like you, I think it's a combination. I've made lots of changes to my diet, added cardio and later weights. I'm pretty sure the weight training is helping because the weight is just coming off, even though I'm eating 1800-1900 calories a day...

I hope I can stay the course!

Here's to your success too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Great job!!! Losing weight while going through a life transition - that is fabulous!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

back Lekker! Congratulations on your weight loss thus far!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

Welcome back, excellent work!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #6  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome back

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

Of course I remember you; you used to have huge feet encased in wooden shoes, right? Glad to have you back and good work on your success thus far!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #8  

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

And yes, Jillegal, I did have the big wooden shoes! I'll have to see if I still have that avator around somewhere.

Wyllen: I've noticed that I can eat around that level and still lose too - I do think the weight lifting helps a lot - if only people could see my muscles - unfortunately they're well insulated! One thing I think that helped me is that with the WW-style program, I reduce the amount as I lose weight, so it wasn't a sudden drop to 1500 cal, which I'm not sure how I would have reacted to.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #9  

Found my old avatar! It's probably 5 years old now - I can't believe it was that long ago. Hopefully this attached okay.... julie_klompen2.JPG
Old 04-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

When I read your original post, I wondered where those big shoes were. Welcome back!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote