Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #1  

Default Bypass vs. lap band

Hey gang,

I was just looking around and it seems like the lion's share o' folks have had the lap-band as opposed to roux-n-y gastric bypass. Would folks mind piping up and saying which they've had? I'm only asking so that I know who to ask the right questions of (since I know there's a lot of difference between the two procedures, the after-care, etc). Simply curious!

~ C
MermaidInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #2  

Happy bandster here! I'm always willing to answer questions if you have any.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Newly banded here. Had lapBand surgery on March 20, 2006.

So far, so good.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

I had gastric bypass almost 7 months ago. So far my biggest problem has been eating enough to not lose weight too fast and get the protein I need. My job makes it hard to follow a tight schedule for meals.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #5  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

I had roux-n-y gastric bypass almost 20 months ago. The only reason I wasn't wild about the lapband is that I have the willies in thinking of having a plastic object in my body with a plastic 'opening' around my rib so that the doctor could stick a needle in there and fill it with saline when I wasn't losing weight anymore. It was an unreasonable dislike, but I knew I wouldn't be comfortable with that idea. I've also had my mom (who had the 'stomach' stapling in 84) and my sister (who had the roux-n-y 2 1/2 years ago) going through the same surgery, so I had some advise on what it was like to go this route.

I have never - not even once - regretted having my gastric bypass. I don't have to worry about getting 'refilled' or having plastic inside me. I'm healthier than I have ever been and happy as well (that's not to say I wouldn't have been healthier with the lapband, too). Of course, saying that, there are many who have not had the same wonderful success I've had. It's a crap shoot. You're either lucky - or your not. The lapband is much safer - you can have it removed - it's a bit harder (if not impossible) to change a gastric bypass surgery.

They are both tools - odds are better at keeping the weight off with the gastic, as well as losing more weight. Odds are also higher for mortality. You just have to hope you pick the best choice for YOU.

Best of luck - and will be looking for you on the loser's side!
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #6  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Talking RNY on 3/1/06

I had the RNY, I chose that because I am 56 and had many other health problems that could be solved by weight loss. I have not had any problems with recovery, eating, drinking, getting protein in etc. I have only found one thing that I couldn't eat, canned smoked salmon--course I am very careful to follow the weight loss center's guidelines carefully.

I'm good with my new life, but I just made a 800 mile car trip (1 way) to my uncle's funeral & back in 4 days. That was the hardest thing I've had to do since surgery. We ate & slept at odd times, It rained so I couldn't get out to walk, I ate alot of yogurt, melons, strawberries & ham. I finally stopped at a grocery store to get FF cheese & deli shaved turkey, for a change.

The main reason I say that is that I survived & passed another milestone in my journey--knowing I can cope with the food issues & knowing what else I can do to not be in that situation in the future.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #7  

Kewl, thanks for the replies so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally set on my RNY, and am SO ready to go, I was just really curious who'd actually had it and what the reasons were for choosing one surgery over the other. Interesting reading, as always. Thanks gang!

~ C
MermaidInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #8  

I have recently had sleeve gasterectomy done, which is probably not done at your center. It's basically cutting out part of your stomache to decrease its capacity (down to about 150- 200 ml). You end up with a banana-shaped instead of a bean-shaped tummy ..

Wish you luck on your surgery C..
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

DELLA!!!! i actually read something about this sometime within the last few days! it sounds as if they're having great success with this... how are you doing with it?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #10  

Actually am doing good.. As you can see my weight loss stalled, but it's my fault since I still am not exercising

Other than that, I am taking between 800- 1000 kcal/day.. I am finally able to consume enough water (I just sip all day long).. I am still learning what to eat, I found that the less fat in a meal, the more I am able to eat from it and hence get more satisfied (I had a hard time at first between how much my mind expects and how much my stomache can take) and so am opting for healthier options now.

That's all.. I just wish I could finally get motivating enough to move my lazy a** and do somthing!!! Any ideas!!

D.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #11  

I had Gastric Bypass a little over 9 weeks ago. I have lost 63 pounds and I am feeling great!

I was actually thinking of having Lap band, but my insurance wouldnt pay for it. They would however pay for bypass. I went with it and am so glad I did! After years of battling my weight, I finally feel like I am in control!
buhbyefat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #12  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

That's GREAT to hear. Good luck to you!!
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #13  

Lap-Band here! January 13, 2006. Couldn't be happier with my decision as it was the right one for me!
VeggyMom is offline   Reply With Quote