Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Red face Two embarrassing questions

Yesterday I went for a two mile walk outside. It was gorgeous, and I enjoyed it, but I ran into these issues:

I was honked at. Four times. I don't understand. I don't care if they were "Haha, fat girl exercising" honks or catcall honks, they were completely unnecessary, obnoxious, and put me in a foul mood. If it happened just once, I could have forgiven it, but four times in a half hour?! When I got home, I checked to make sure that I didn't have anything weird on me, my fly wasn't down, etc. I looked completely normal, so I guess I just ran into four jerks. But still, that really puts me off exercising outdoors. Do you girls experience this? How do you deal? I was wearing headphones at the time, and just ignored it, but it still made me feel lousy.

Now for the really embarrassing question. After one mile of that walk (15 minutes), my body decided that it really had to go to the bathroom. I eat a good amount of fibre, and take metamucil (but I take a third of the recommended dose). I mostly do this because I was vegan for a few years, and had bowel movements about twice to three times a day, and it's something I got used to. Psychologically, I really can't handle only having a bowel movement every day or every other day. So yeah, I'm fairly regular. But typically I can hold it in if I really need to. This time my body was screaming at me "You must go NOW!" The thing is, I've noticed this every time I've exercised outdoors, but never while indoors. Truly the call of nature! haha I managed to stop at a library and use their washroom, but I hate having to stop in the middle for a few minutes and have my heart rate go down. Any ideas why this would always happen in the middle of my outdoor workouts? I've tried doing them at various times during the day, but it's always the same result.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #2  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

As far as the first issue, guys are gonna honk. I understand you feeling lousy about it but in their minds it was a good thing. They thought you were HOT.

Second issue: Every time I exercise I always have to go to the bathroom. Exercise is a laxative for me. I don't know if anything can be done about it.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #3  
No description available.

It is such a pet peeve of mine, those honking morons! I want to smush their faces in the grass at a dog park that has never been cleaned up. Argh! They are soooo freaking obnoxious. I know how you feel. Like I am out there for their entertainment! Ugh!

I feel a little better now!

Exercising does have that effect on the old digestive system. I guess it is a huge problem with marathoners too!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi
Do you girls experience this?
Very rarely...maybe it's the huge double stroller I always have with me now ...and when it does happen and I notice where it came from, it's usually someone sleezy in a '70-something car! I just ignore. Sort of like the men who come up to you in a grocery store and ask you what perfume you are wearing...followed by more stupidity. WTH?
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #5  

Kashi...

I'm sorry this happened to you...I guess I can't relate because I never exercise outside....maybe it's an internal fear of being honked at too??..I don't know..I've just never liked it...call me crazy. I'm sure they were probably honking because they thought you were hot...I'm sure of it. Even if they weren't...that's how you must think of it. You obviously enjoy walking outside...so you must not let some sleezoids dictate what you are doing for yourself.

I'm not sure what to say about the bowel problems. I too have bowel problems...mine are somewhat different....I go for days...(like up to 9 sometimes) without going...and then I have diarrhea for a few after that. I'm not sure if it's related to my endometriosis or if I have IBS...but man..it gets annoying. Overall...I think exercise gets things going in more than one way....I guess just make sure there is a bathroom nearby...which it sounds like there is for you. I live in such a rural area..if I took a walk...I'd end up going in a corn field..lol.

Anyways...you are doing great...I know it's annoying to you....but don't let poo and perv's get in the way of doing something wonderful for yourself. Good luck and hugs...

Liv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Could one reason you may have the urge to go the bathroom when you exercise outside as opposed to inside be some anxiety? Describing the honking....it could be the trigger to start that urge. Maybe inside exercise is 'safer' psycologically speaking. Just a thought.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I used to get the honking, but I walked in a different area.. people are less.. I don't know the exact difference but people just don't pay attention to me other than to say hi. Before I just assumed everyone was honking and calling me fat.. I'd go home and tell my bf and he'd threaten to beat them up.. lol.

I totally get the bowel movement thing as well, I don't walk unless 2 hours has passed from when I've last eaten. It helps me a lot.

roundRN - my doctor told me that endometriosis can mimic the symptoms of IBS, but I found my symptoms of it lessened over time.. and with less stress in my life.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I get honked at all the time. Just ignore it. It's impossible to tell if they liked what they saw or what. Go on with your bad self.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #9  

Aimee......

Yeah...i'm pretty sure my bowel problems are endo related..ugggghhh. I've been battling endo since age 14....and now I"m almost 29..."sniffles". I started Lupron again....but so far...it doesn't seem to be helping. I may be looking at another lap in the near future :'( I'm glad that yours has settled...that's great!!! I wish I could say that for myself....it goes into remission after surgery but it always seems to come back. We had been trying to conceive...but that wasn't going anywhere..that's when I decided to try the lupron again (it worked great for me last time). I'm going to do the lupron for five months.....then see what happens. Endo is a horrible disease and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. Ok..I better run....Thanks Aimee....

Hugs,
Liv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

roundRN - I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 20, but had been suffering with *something* for years.. since I was about 13-14. I don't know if I really do have endo, I don't really have ANY symptoms of it anymore. I do a couple of things to avoid it which helped a LOT, I am on the pill, I skip most of my periods by taking pills back to back, and I really watch my diet and trigger foods (mainly things with yeast and wheat). When I was in the middle of everything, wow, it was incredibly horrible.. I agree.. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #11  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Kashi, it seems there are all kinds of weirdos no matter where you go in the world. I live in HI where it is sunny most of the time so I always walk outside for exercise. I can totally relate to feeling pretty low if someone honks or yells something from a car when I'm walking outside. I think part of it is a self-esteem issue from being overweight for so long, I just automatically assume it's a negative thing. Granted, no woman wants to be wolf-whistled or catcalled on by some creep in a passing car (well, no respectable woman anyway) but like Tracey said, maybe the people honking at you were honking to say "wow, you're hot, look my way!"....

I usually just ignore these remarks and repeat a mantra while I'm walking: "i'm doing this for myself and nobody can stop me"... I get pissed first off if it happens, but then the walking I'm doing usually gets my mind off of whatever is bothering me. Walking a big dog is a big help with warding off weirdos.

I'm so terrible though, my husband who gets home late in the evenings when I'm usually on my walk sometimes wolf-whistles if he passes me on the road, but I told him don't do it, because I've been known to flip him the bird. Poor guy.

Midwife, you crack me up! My sentiments exactly.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #12  
Going to ONEderland

I used to get honked at when I was thin and young and had a good body, so it isn't necessarily an "insult". It is annoying though. You know where the word "Honkey" came from don't you? It refered to white guys who would drive in black neighborhoods just to honk at all the girls! At least that is what I heard.

Guys can be annoying with their honking and their whistling and their comments. They THINK they are showing appreciation, but it is just demeaning from a woman's standpoint to be viewed that way. Sometimes I think they just do it to impress one another.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I remember once being SUPER pissed because someone was honking at me while I was walking. I was steamed. All day I thought about it. Pouted about it. Felt like a jerk. The next day, my friend Tina said, "I saw you downtown yesterday and honked like crazy to get your attention but you didn't even look my way!"

:LOL:
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #14  

I don't get honked as much anymore. I did have someone yell "you're beautiful" out a car window the other day, it was kinda hard to be annoyed at that

When I did get honked, I'd grin and wave. But that's me. I can be a bit confrontational. I spent my whole life being bullied as a kid, and nothing can be worse than what I went through, I refuse to let anyone make me feel like that frightened, bullied kid ever again. Ignoring them is sensible too. But don't give up walking!!!

It sounds to me as though you have "runners trots" I was reading about this in my running magazine yesterday. It settles down over time as you get into a routine of exercise, apparently, like bowel training a child. Can you walk to home and back in 20 minutes, go to the loo and then set off again? This is one of the key benefits of working out in a gym!!!! Toilets on site!!!! (Although we only have three toilets and a membership of over 1000 - go figure)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica
I remember once being SUPER pissed because someone was honking at me while I was walking. I was steamed. All day I thought about it. Pouted about it. Felt like a jerk. The next day, my friend Tina said, "I saw you downtown yesterday and honked like crazy to get your attention but you didn't even look my way!"

:LOL:

I've done that too!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote