Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/172/130

Height: 5.0

Default yikes, holidays, birthdays, oh my!

i'm newish..... been trying for almost a month to drop weight, and finally this week, lost 2lbs. But then the holiday hit, yesterday was my ds birthday and today my dd's birthday....accckkkk!!!!!!!!!!
trying to hold my own with the junk in the house this soon after starting is killing me!!
however i did get my exercise in this am. i am dog sitting and the dang dog got out and took off, so i spent about half an hour hiking in the woods, looking for the darn dog. I'm also going to walk today while my girls are at gymnastics.
We recently moved to the country and are just a few hundred yards from a bike trail, so that will soon be on our agenda.

anyway...how do you all handle junk in the house for other family members?
or more to the point, how do you NOT handle it
hugs
tracyg
tracyg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #2  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

I make it easier on myself by buying fat free snacks (Fat Free Pringles 70 calories sor 14 chips) or nutri grain bars.
If the kids really want to snack then they will learn to like it, if not then there is more for me..
I did have to go to a party this past weekend and they had the best desert table I had ever seen, I just stayed away from it and didn't look that direction.
So I guess I just try to ignore what is around me and that helps.
Good luck at your DD party.
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

We don't keep any junk food in our house that I like. Mostly - we just don't have junk food. There is no pop, no candy, no cookies, no chips .... nada.

I know my kids get all that stuff at other peoples houses. I also think that if you have that stuff around, then 2 things happen. You have to struggle all the time to stay away from it. The kids develop bad eating habits because they have it around all the time.

We have lots and lots of family parties (at least 1-2 per week with 15-25 people), so I too have a really hard time with what to do at parties. Lately I have been taking a plate, filling 1/2 salad, 1/4 with veggies, and 1/4 with meat. I then concentrate really hard on eating slowly. Setting my fork down between bites, drinking water between bites, talking a lot. This way my plate will last through everyone elses seconds. I also set goal before I leave.

Ex. I will have one bite of Anna's (DD) cake, but not my own piece.
Ex. I will not tough Aunt Judy's pecan pie.
Ex. When everyone is served dessert, I will offer to share one with somebody, then only have one bite.
Ex. I will not stand near the appetizers.
Ex. I will not walk by the appetizers.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #4  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

I also mainly just buy Fat free snacks and stuff. My kids love the 100 calorie packs and all those yummy low fat stuff. I did buy a thing of oreos a few weeks ago and the kids didnt even touch them..they ate all my snacks instead! Im happy though, they they like the fat free stuff and now we can eat the same things instead of me having to buy my stuff AND their stuff. It does get easier to say no to junk. The first couple months were the hardest, now in my 4th month, I cant even eat half the stuff I used to, it doesnt taste the same.

Good luck on the party!!
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have learned that I don't need chips and stuff in my house but if my boyfriend wants them then he is free to buy them. I keep crackers and beef jereky tho and eat a little bit if I feel snacky. I also do the same - if I really want cake; I ask for just a bit or someone else's. If I want to try a cookie someone made - I take a bit maybe two and throw the rest away really quickly and I remind myself ALL the time "I want to lose weight more then I want to eat that (insert food item here)". And it has been working. Not to say I didnt have a few easter eggs but I did pretty good overall. The way I look at it - I would rather have the odd treat here or there and take an extra month losing the weight then totally deprive myself, get to my goal weight, pig out, and gain it all back.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #6  
Soon2BeSkinny

Height: Too short

Hello can I contribute to your thread. I started one last month its in the support group forum entitled "Looking for a buddy who is tired of being of fluffy". Check it out if you all have time.

In regards to snacks and junkfood...those are evil words. I m on WW so I buy the snacks that I like. My husband could eat an entire cow and not gain any weight so he enjoys all the bad stuff. He likes to eat candy, chips, beef sticks, candy, candy, candy....oh I already said that. Anyway my daughter will eat the better snacks because mom is there telling her they are good for her. I don't like being home because everything seems to call out my name...like I'm hearing voices...LOL!! Anyway I eat snacks in small amounts like granola bars, crackers, FF pudding, fruit cups in lite syrup, applesauce, rice crackers...flavored of course otherwise you might as well eat a piece of styrofoam.
GoofyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #7  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

For the snacks, I try to limit the amount of unhealthy snacks that we keep in the house so I'm not as tempted. HOWEVER, DH likes chips and cookies and things like that so he often comes home from work with a bagful of that stuff (most recently Fig Newtons and Cheetos). I try to keep in healthier things like FF pudding, Kashi crackers with bean dip, and SF fudgesicles that I enjoy. So when he reaches for his bag of chips, I can choose something else that's better for me (in reasonably quantities of course!)

For parties, I try to fill up my plate with healthier options, like fruits and veggies, crackers, lean meats, etc so there's not as much room for the choclate and chips! I eat slowly and try to focus on talking to people and enjoying the atmosphere (because parties aren't all about the food, after all). If there's birthday cake, I'll try to get a bite of someone else's (usually DH) rather than getting my own serving.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

As soon as we get in from grocery shopping I send all the junk to the basement, "Out of sight, Out of Mind" is my motto, if I happen to find it they have to go find a better spot , but that usually doesn't happen if I don't see the stuff. But all in all we don't bring that much junk food in the house anymore...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote