LA Weight Loss - Another take off question

View Full Version : Another take off question

Karebear50
04-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Hello all,

When I went in to my COD, they were telling me about the challenge. But, I have never done Take Off and after looking at my chart I don't think they want me to do Take Off because of my history of kidney stones, although my dr. has cleared me and wrote a note to the center saying I am fine to do lites and so forth.

So, I was thinking of just using the Knudeson's juice and doing it on my own. But, I have absolutely no idea what Take Off involves. I am currently on the Gold plan if that makes a difference.

I have been searching for a thread, because I am sure there is one explaining Take Off, but I haven't found it yet. So, if anyone can either explain it to me, or bump a thread that explains what I need to do, I would be forever grateful:)

Karen

Boo'sMom
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm sure there's a thread but not sure exactly where. In the gold book (with all the food choices) it's on page 20. I don't dilute the Knudsens (may be part of my problem) but I think some dilute 6 oz. juice with 2 oz. water.

Karebear50
04-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Man, shows you how much I look at the Gold book--I guess I don't make it past the first few pages with the food selections. So, if I am understanding this right, do you only get one 6 oz. protein choice per day, and no fruits?

Karen

Repo girl
04-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Yep, but that is if you eat the bars. If you don't then you do the unlimited TO. The juice is 6 oz of Knudsens 4 times a day, or 4 oranges a day, or 4 cups of cantaloupe per day.

Dairy Fairy
04-19-2006, 09:07 AM
They told my BIL 1/2 cantaloupe per day, and I think that equals out to 4 cups but if you like to eat slices vs. cubes then just keep that in mind. I REALLY REALLY REALLY reccommend the cantaloupe. I get really hungry and headachy just doing the juice.

I'm starting TO today...anybody buddying up with me?

angelica1674
04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I am doing TO again today.Just for the simple fact I had chicken nuggets on my first day of TO on momday.Even though I was down 3.5 on tues morning I did not count monday as a TO day. So I did TO yesterday and today. I have had my orange so far for breakfast and 24 oz water.

dawn78
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Dairy - I'm on day 1 to TO (using cantaloupe). I've never done TO, except for the initial time when I first started. I'm hating already, this better be worth it!

love2eat
04-19-2006, 12:21 PM
My COD also would not let me do the juice when I first started b/c my history of IBS. I have done it the last 2 days and saw no problems. It's like drinking the V8 that is fruit instead of tomato to me. If your kidneys bother you with fruit juice, I would try the fruit instead. I have to say that when I did it with 4 oranges I saw almost no loss and with the juice I have seen a 4 lb loss in 2 days. You might want to check with your MD to make sure it is OK.

1luckychick
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Can anyone give me some menu ideas for TO? I'm on the red plan. I think I can have 6oz protein, 6oz veg. proteins, 2 veg., LA lites and cantaloupe or juice. Does that sound right?

rad7775
04-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Lucky:
I posted a recipe for stuffed pepper in the TAKE OFF thread is in the last page, maybe that will help you1 Also thi is my menu on TO(limited):

Breakfast:
1 orange or 1 cup of cantaloupe or juice(4oz)
snack:
LA lite
Lunch:
3 oz protein
1 veggie
snack:
LA LITE
Dinner:
3oz protein
1 green veggie
snack:
1 orange or 1 cup of cantaloupe or juice(4 oz)

Just an idea, so you don't feel that hungry! Hope it helps!

1luckychick
04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Milca,
Thanks so much! That doesn't sound as miserable as when i first looked at it. Maybe I can survive without starches for 2 days. I need a little boost. Thanks again!

Nikki

rad7775
04-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Nikki:
Anytime girl, BTW, love your name, that's my DH's niece nickname, I love it!

Dairy Fairy
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I always like to do turkey taco salad for one of the days. I just season the turkey with spices and lite salt and put over a bed of lettuce. I do use a tablespoon of ff sour cream as the dressing but is hasn't seemed to hurt me as I still lose about 3.5 lbs on To

merem
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
rad7775--thanks for the menu idea

dairy--thanks for the taco salad idea

I always get great ideas from you guys

Boo'sMom
04-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Turkey taco salad is one of our favorites! It was weird, the first time we were so wild about the turkey--texas beefeaters we are!, then as the diet became more routine and red meat became less routine, now we can't even tell the difference. Even better once we added the ff sour cream. Has anyone found a low sodium salsa? I have to have it so I just suck down the lemon water afterwards.

1luckychick
04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Milca,
Thanks! I agree your neice has a great name!

Ladies- talk to me about using turkey instead of beef. I have always been too afraid to try it. How does it taste?

brittyboo07
04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Boos we are allowed to have salsa just not much of it lol Do you think if you find the low sodium they might let you have more? Or better yet if you make it homemade?

Boo'sMom
04-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Britt--I LOVE salsa!! The more the better so I was thinking if I found low sodium I could have more. DUH--didn't even think about making my own and we used to all the time! Part of my weightloss must be in brain matter!:dizzy: Thanks for the reminder--back to the store for more stuff! The Walmart people know me waaaayyyy to well.

stiesta
04-19-2006, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Ladies- talk to me about using turkey instead of beef. I have always been too afraid to try it. How does it taste?[/QUOTE]

Don't be afraid of it. I think it's a little bit sweeter than beef (but not sugary or anything). I don't think it's a stretch or hard to change over to -- not like a lot of low fat options out there. When you buy it, make sure you buy the ground turkey breast as opposed to just ground turkey (which has a lot of dark meat and is as high in calories and fat as beef). My DH and kids have no idea that they're even eating as healthy as they are...ground turkey tacos are the favorite of my family, and DH and I will put it over a salad. It's really, really good.

hkychik
04-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Turkey taco salad is one of our favorites! It was weird, the first time we were so wild about the turkey--texas beefeaters we are!, then as the diet became more routine and red meat became less routine, now we can't even tell the difference. Even better once we added the ff sour cream. Has anyone found a low sodium salsa? I have to have it so I just suck down the lemon water afterwards.

Boo's I use Rojo's brand salsa - it is in the cold section in supermarkets, not on the shelf with things like Pace, etc... In Walmart, it is in the deli case near the deli counter; in my supermarket, it is back with the refrigerated guacamole and stuff. It is very low sodium (15 mg per serving) and fresh with no preservatives. Try checking out the salsa in that area of your market - they may be lower in sodium than the bottled kind.

Dairy Fairy
04-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Ground turkey- definitely make sure to get the 93 or 98 percent lean or you're losing a lot of the health benefits (plus I hate the taste of poultry fat). I like to use it in things that require a lot of spices (spaghetti, add fennel for Italian sausage, manwich, tacos). I still don't think I could do a turkey burger or turkey meatloaf...baby steps!

Boo'sMom
04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Lori--thanks for the info--again-hasn't occured to me to venture out of my shopping path--it's a whole nother world out there!!LOL. I'll sure check it out. Good luck at your next visit--it HAS to go better.

rad7775
04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Lori, Boo and Britt:
Thanks for posting about "salsa" b/c I have been looking for it and haven't found any good brand, so now I know I can check on Walmart!

Ground Turkey:
I have found that the brand Jennie-O have really good ground turkey and also taste really good and is lean meat, low fat.

Hotmamaof7
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
How many condiments do you all have during your Limited TO? I read a few having FF sour cream and salsa but what else??? Thanks

Angie

shennie_97
06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
if I want a late naight snack, I always have jello prepared during take-off

aphil
06-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Hello all,

I have never done Take Off and after looking at my chart I don't think they want me to do Take Off because of my history of kidney stones, although my dr. has cleared me and wrote a note to the center saying I am fine to do lites and so forth.

So, I was thinking of just using the Knudeson's juice and doing it on my own.

Karen,

I can fully understand the centers reasoning of not wanting you to do Take Off because of your history with kidney stones. Your doctor has cleared you to do the regular plan, but have you specifically asked him about Take Off? Rather than going ahead with it and doing it on your own, I would mention it to him specifically-because Take Off is lower calorie and can result in a quicker loss the week that you participate in it, than your regular plan.

The reason I am asking about this, is because sometimes RAPID weight loss puts people at risk for issues such as kidney stones, having to have their gallbladder removed, and so forth. (This is also why a weight loss of 1/2 to 2 pounds per week is a healthy range of weight loss...but losing 4-5 pounds a week is not.)

My mother did a lot of crash dieting when she was very young-and it resulted in a gall bladder surgery. (Although they did not make the connection to her diet at the time.)

If you are prone to issues of this kind already, then my advice would be to be safe rather than sorry on this one. I know it feels great to see a scale victory, but you might want to actually take the Take Off eating plan to your doctor and have them take a look at it before you actually do it.

:hug:

Aphil

Organized_Chaos
06-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Please keep in mind that TO is to be done no sooner than 14 days apart. Also if you are new to the program and have done LA express you must wait three weeks before doing take off. After that every 14 days is fine.