LA Weight Loss - Supplements

View Full Version : Supplements

merem
04-18-2006, 01:25 PM
What brands of supplements do you use? I'm using the tri-maxx and fb 500 but I want to buy something comparable and less expensive when I run out. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Repo girl
04-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Merem, I don't take either one of those, but wanted to say that you can get EFA's at Walmart for $6.00, and I buy my multi vitamin and my calcium at the dollar store.

angelica1674
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
I take a multi vitamin, do you think I need calcium too?

I take flax oil capsules(2 a day) would the EFA be better?

emmysmom
04-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I take the flax oil, too...basically the same thing. You're still getting your Omegas. That is all I am taking right now.

Repo girl
04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I have read a lot of stuff related to calcium and WL, and since we only get 1 dairy, I take calcuim morning and night.

angelica1674
04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks,i might add a calcium in too.Just in the evening though.I cant take it with my synthroid.

merem
04-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I have fish oil caplets and vitamin E caplets. Will that work for the EFAs? It doesn't look like you all take any "diet pills." Should I even bother buying any diet pills for appetite suppression (like the tri max) or fat burners (like the fb 500)? What do you all think? Is it just a waste of money to buy those products?

Boo'sMom
04-19-2006, 07:29 PM
I tried the trimax/fb500 combo for a month and didn't see any difference--except in my $$. Maybe others have had better success.

1luckychick
04-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Merem I talked to my counselor yesterday about supplements and she said that I could take a vitamin from Wal-Mart, but to make sure that it's for diets under 2,000 calories. So, I decided to buy their vitamins. $10.00 a month is not too bad.

emmysmom
04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Merem, I took Xcel for probably 4 months and decided to stop taking them only because I figured if I want to do a real lifestyle change, I need to change some of my ways...who would take a diet pill the rest of their life? I was afraid to stop taking them because I thought I would be hungry, lose energy, etc. (I've been taking the Xcels practically since day one). I haven't noticed any changes whatsoever. So in my opinion, they don't work.

Vicki140
04-21-2006, 04:06 AM
I agree with you. I would be interested in knowing what other options there are to replace Tri-Max and FB500, as I am almost out of my supplements, and I do see a difference. I have wondered if anyone has had success purchasing the products on e-bay and one person mentioned buying EFA at Walmart. Is it the same in terms of contents? What do you know about this EFA?

aphil
04-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I have fish oil caplets and vitamin E caplets. Will that work for the EFAs? It doesn't look like you all take any "diet pills." Should I even bother buying any diet pills for appetite suppression (like the tri max) or fat burners (like the fb 500)? What do you all think? Is it just a waste of money to buy those products?

It is 100% a waste of money to buy fat burners or appetite suppression pills. First of all, they don't work as claimed, and second of all-there are usually side effects. Plus-with things like the original Dexatrim from the 80s being pulled off the market for deaths, and the same thing happening with ephedra here recently-why take the chance??? Appetite suppression can be done for free by making smarter choices with your food exchanges. A bowl of oatmeal is a more filling starch than a small roll. An apple is more filling than a bit of juice. Your individual food choices make a big impact on your hunger levels.

I do not think it is necessary to take a million vitamins each day. If you are using the LA Lites, or Luna bars or something to that effect-or even eating cereal each day-these foods are all fortified, and basically have the equivalent of 1/4-1/2 a multivitamin fortified in them already. So-if you normally eat a couple foods each day that are fortified, then multivitamins are not really necessary.

I do think that calcium is important for the LAWL plan, though, because the calcium levels on the plan are so low. (One of the things I wish LAWL would change!!!!)

I currently do take DHA/fatty acids/fish oil each day, simply because I am pregnant, and will when I am nursing. If you normally eat fish each week-they are unnecessary, but if you never eat fish, then they are a fine addition.

You can always get these same vitamins at Wal-Mart, or wherever, and they are much cheaper than buying them from LAWL.