Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Apple salad dressing Recipe??
04-18-2006, 09:01 AM
My mom used to make a salad with apples and nuts and sometimes other fruits with lettuce/greens. The dressing looked/acted kind of like yogurt. It had a sweet flavor, but not over powering.
When I asked her, she couldn't remember all that it entailed. Said something about powdered milk, cream cheese and sugar or sugar sub?
Does anyone have an idea? Most of my searches online seem to bring up mustard type things.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message, I appreciate it .
The only one I can find that sounds remotely similar is this one...
Carrot Apple Salad
1 can (8oz.) unsweetened crushed pineapple
2 medium tart apples, diced
3 cups shredded carrots
3 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons flaked coconut
1/3 cup fat-free reduced-sugar vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayo or salad dressing
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add apples to the juice; toss to coat. Let stand 5 minutes; drain. In large bowl, combine pineapple, carrots, raisins, coconut and apples. In small bowl combine remaining ingredients. Pour over carrot mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours or until chilled. 6 servings.
Calories Per Serving (3/4 cup): 138
Fat: 4 grams (1 gram saturated)
Cholesterol: 3 gram
Sodium: 101 mg
Carb: 26 gram
Fiber: 3 gram
Protein: 2 gram
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it might be something different to try if not. I'm sure if you wanted you could toss your own nuts and greens into it :)
I also have a recipe for Peachy Rice Salad that's really good, I've had it before, if anyone wants that one.
04-18-2006, 10:53 AM
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon white sugar
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 3 apples -- peeled, cored, and chopped
* 1 cup thinly sliced celery
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
2. Stir in the apples, celery, walnuts, and raisins. Chill until ready to serve.
OR Apple Almond Crunch?
* 1 (10 ounce) package mixed salad greens
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
* 1 cup tart apple, cored and chopped
* 1/4 cup sliced red onion
* 1/4 cup golden raisins
* 1 cup raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the salad greens, almonds, feta cheese, apple, red onion and raisins. Toss to blend. Apply salad dressing to individual servings.
OR Apple Cranberry?
* 1 (10 ounce) package salad greens (about 10 cups)
* 2 medium apples, sliced
* 1 cup PLANTERS Walnut Halves, toasted
* 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
* 1/2 cup sliced green onions
* 3/4 cup SEVEN SEAS Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
1. Toss greens, apples, walnuts, cranberries and onions in large bowl.
2. Add dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Sweet! I think it's the waldorf salad, but I ended up with more recipes to try anyway! Thank you~!
04-18-2006, 11:32 AM
If you do a Google search for Waldorf salad recipes, you'll find other recipes for the dressing. I recently tried to make a salad VERY similar to this--I used green apples, chopped pecans (I'm not partial to walnuts), red grapes, and a mayonnaise-based dressing. Despite that I added vinegar, Splenda, lemon juice, honey, and even a bit of sour cream (in a last-minute attempt to salvage it), the dressing tasted SOOOOO mayonnaise-y that it was a horrible combination with the aples (IMO, of course). I threw the whole thing away :o