General Diet Plans and Questions - Body For Life #14

View Full Version : Body For Life #14

susanje
08-05-2001, 11:42 PM
Hi everyone!

I know I've been MIA. I have not been feeling well since I returned from the east. I've been achy and exhausted. I thought I had a touch of the flu...that is what it felt like!!! I know that it would be very odd in August but that is really how I felt!

My kids arrive at SFO tonight (1 am!) and I am going to try to eat clean and work out this week because I was simply dragging last week (not hitting 10s). Still hanging in there.

Hope everyone is well!!!

Susan

MrsJim
08-05-2001, 11:58 PM
We really missed you!!!

I'm just in my free day hangover right now...Jim and I are going to turn in soon - can't wait to start Week 3 tomorrow!

Talk to you then!

ShelleyM
08-06-2001, 06:14 AM
I've got a free day hangover, too. Carbs, mainly---bread and cereal. I don't want to look at another grain of shredded wheat until next Sunday!

Think I'm gonna switch from hack squats. I still can't get the hang of them.

Does anyone have any strength exercises for inner thighs? I'm not sure which part of the lower body exercises I would have to replace with them, but I am thinking about doing plia's with a barbell. Didn't find any on planetkc., but am looking forward to Arnold's book when the library gets it in. Mrs. J-Do you know if there are any in his book??

2BFIT1
08-06-2001, 07:42 AM
:wave:
I've been reading the posts from the past few days and getting caught up.
Susanje~~~Welcome back. We missed ya. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Jennifer~~~Well, today's the big day, gal. :) Good luck!
Before I first started BFL I played around with the dumbbells and machines to see how much weight to begin with. Everybody is different and we all have our weak body areas. I started with 5 and 10# DB (didn't have any 8# at the time) for the first few weeks. Then I joined the YMCA and began to combine free weights and machines into my routine.
As you begin, you will learn what you can lift and still maintain good form. If you can't get through the entire set then go back down to the next closest weight and try to complete the set .

Shelley~~~I'll take a look at the www.biketrackers.com site today. It sounds great. Thanks:cool:

Michelle~~~You sound so pumped.I'm goiny to try and find that interview you were talking about.

Debbie, , Jen and Serrano~~~Keep up the great work. Believe me it will show eventually!

~~~Sil

2BFIT1
08-06-2001, 08:03 AM
about completing this challenge. I'm in the middle of week 12 and have really started to see results.
Last weekend at work, several people commented on how good I looked or that I looked like I lost weight. When I told one person that I really had not lost any weight in the last few weeks he said "Then you must be working out and toning up because you look great."
That's when it hit me that although the scale hasn't moved in weeks, I am losing body fat and gaining muscle.

My concern is, now that I am beginning to SEE results I'm nervous about taking the free week off of exercising. I just don't want to lose what I have accomplished. I know how crummy I feel the day after free day and the thought of a whole week off really scares me.
Since I don't have alot of exercise in my everyday life (ie. bike,skates,sports) what would be the harm in doing some moderate cardio 3 times that week:?:
~~~Sil

MrsJim
08-06-2001, 09:33 AM
Just have a few minutes to post right now - I'll do more later...

Shelley - about the only muscles Arnold's book DOESN'T have exercises for are the ones in your toes! :) I had to bring the library copy back but expecting mine to arrive any day now (Half.com ships via media mail and that can be a slow crawl sometimes - esp when a book weighs as much as Arnold's.) However, here's a link to an article called "Inner Thigh Lies" that you may find interesting:

http://www.fitnesslink.com/women/thighs.shtml

To me it explains why Bill P doesn't list inner/outer thigh exercises in BFL...more later gals...

Debbie160
08-06-2001, 10:15 AM
OK, now I am getting worried. I've heard more than one of you mention that you are getting toward the end of your first challenge and that you have seen no weight loss, I assume because you are replacing fat with muscle. Well, I have continued to go to my WW weighins for these first 2 weeks and I have lost 5 pounds in those 2 weeks. I thought that was a good thing, but maybe I am not replacing my fat with muscle like I should be. Or maybe it is just due to the fact that I have quite a bit of weight to lose (50+ pounds). I guess it makes sense my weight is going to go down because there is no way I am going to put on 50 pounds of muscle (nor would I want to! :o ) Anyway, I just kinda wanted to hear from the rest of you to see if you think it is normal to lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks on BFL.

MrsJim
08-06-2001, 11:45 AM
...first off, stay away from the scale!!!

If you do BFL correctly you will see results - some people see them sooner than others...like Hussman says "You really do change from the inside out".

During the first half of my first challenge, I was still weighing myself every Sunday and making myself crazy because the scale would go up and down so much...after around week 6 (I think) I just said, "To HE** with the scale" because despite the fact that I only lost, like maybe 6 or 8 pounds during C1 (I didn't weigh myself before starting) I could tell (especially after viewing my photos and taking measurements) that I had lost a lot of bodyfat and built up a lot of muscle - and I looked GOOD!!

On BFL, everyone's results are different. You can't expect to have the same results as someone else because we are all genetically different. There was an interesting show on Discovery Channel yesterday called "Bodybuilding" where they brought up this very issue about different results for different bodies.

And don't forget...Pam B weighs 145 and is a SIZE 4...do you think that when she's walking in the mall, people think she could lose some weight? I think not! That scale number doesn't mean diddly squat if you're doing BFL and seeing results on the "pant-o-meter"!!!

MrsJim
08-06-2001, 11:50 AM
...by all means, do some moderate cardio - but stay out of the gym! You really need that break from the gym routine - both for your body and your mind.

Wouldn't Free Week be a perfect time to start an activity that you've been wanting to try? Try renting a bike or some rollerblades - take some horseback riding lessons (my passion right now other than BFL) - or just treat yourself to a pair of walking shoes and go for a good walk. The weather is so perfect right now (oops, unless you live in Florida - just talked to my brother-in-law last night - he lives in Panama City Beach and they are getting hit HARD by storms) that it's almost a shame to waste a day inside the gym!

Look at it this way - you may love your job (I love MY job!) but you still need a vacation once in awhile to get away from it. When you come back, you'll feel reenergized and ready to start again!

Alyssake
08-06-2001, 01:23 PM
C1W1D1
Hi Everyone!
It's my first day. I have to say that the UBWO was a bit harder than I expected. This pretty much the furst time that I had ever done weight training before. I'm more of a cardio person so I will find the cardio tomorrow a lot easier.
The eating part has gone pretty good so far. I started eating a little late today because it is a holiday here in Ontario but besides that everything is great so far.
I can tell that my arms are going to be a little sore tomorrow.
Thanks for the support.
Talk to you later
Jennifer

blastit
08-06-2001, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone - just wanted to post my results. I was down another four and half inches in this four week period -and up two pounds. So my total results after 8 weeks on the program down 10 inches and down four pounds.

Like I said in an earlier post I can really tell a difference. I am getting firmer and I love it. I am really looking forward to pushing myself these last four weeks to be stronger.

Susan-blastit.

devoted
08-06-2001, 04:37 PM
Hello!

I've been reading some of the posts here and although the program interests me, I'm confused as to what kinds of foods you are all eating?

Mrs. Jim, you mentioned on your website that you cut out cold cereal and bread... did you cut them out altogether or just cut down on them? I've lost over 60 pounds in the past year and a half and now I'm at a stands-still. I have only 11 more pounds to lose. I don't want to cut out my usual breakfast of Kashi cereal and bran toast, so I'm just wondering if you or anyone else on here can give me a sample menu of what you eat during the day??? I'd like to compare that to what I'm eating.

Thanks!
Lisa ;)

Serrano
08-06-2001, 04:54 PM
Hi all!

Decided to re-start my challenge today. I've a better idea of how the program works (I'm no stranger to weight-training, but new to BFL) and just didn't have the components working too smoothly.

Also have been having a whopping problem with fluid retention. This has nothing to do with BFL; I'm allergic to shellfish and have been taking medication that is derived from shellfish. So -- drinking more water than usual hoping for the big flush :)

Hoping everyone has a great afternoon!

Serrano

"How do I love thee? Let me count the reps..."

MrsJim
08-06-2001, 05:33 PM
...Except for Free Day, I cut 'em out.

Check Page 83 of the Body for Life book...there is a list of authorized foods...cold cereal isn't on there (oatmeal is though). Bread is 'reluctantly' authorized (Bill P's words) in order to allow his favorite lunch (grilled chicken sandwich) on BFL.

Each one of your BFL meals should consist of 1 protein and 1 carb serving (measured with palm/fist method for the most part). Cereal and milk are two carbs...(yeah, I know milk has protein but actually it is mostly carbs from the lactose). Generally in the AM I'll have **two** breakfasts - first one an hour after my workout is a Myoplex Lite - then an hour or two later I have cottage cheese and fruit (usually cut melon).

If you haven't already done so, I would really recommend picking up a copy of the Body for Life book and reading it. It's an easy read and should answer most of your questions - I'd also check out the Hussman site for more scientific detail on exactly HOW the BFL program works.

I've posted my usual menu on quite a few BFL threads - check the last thread (BFL #13) for my posts - and you should find my typical daily menu there.

When you mention Kashi do you mean the cold (processed) Kashi or the cooked Kashi? I believe that cooked Kashi is the same as, say, brown rice - minimally processed. On the other hand, For Good Friends and Go Lean/Go Lean Crunch would be way too processed IMO. Again, remember that skim milk is a carb so you would have to keep that in mind when choosing cereal.

I find that I do much better all around by avoiding processed carbs as much as possible - except on Free Day (which is really one of the BEST things about BFL - a day where you can eat whatever it is you crave during the week).

Bill P also recommends in his book mixing cottage cheese and fat-free yogurt together for a quick meal. I've done that in the past but always seem to go back to the cottage cheese and fruit!

ShelleyM
08-06-2001, 05:44 PM
Mrs. Jim-Thanks for the link. I still want to try the plie squats, though!

Blastit-WOW! Great results!! I wish mine were as good as yours!

Devoted-I only eat cereal on my free day. Yesterday I loaded up on my favorite-Shredded Wheat. I like the Kashi too, but I cut it out completely when I started BFL. It has way too many carbs. I eat oatmeal in the mornings with 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg. My 2nd meal is normally a Myoplex lite drink. This is a meal replacement drink that many of us on BFL use. It comes in a vast varity of yummy flavors. For meal 3, I usually have something like green beans, a fruit, and some tuna or chicken. Meals 4 and 5 are about the same as the above 3. My 6th meal is normally 1 cup of cottage cheese with either a fruit mixed in it, or 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal along with cinnamon and sweetner.

Debbie-Like Mrs. J says, don't pay any attention to the scale. Too bad I can't practice what I preach!!! Seriously, don't worry. Everyone is different. For me, I just have a harder time losing since I only have a few pounds to lose. The only time I really lose weight easily is when I'm have a flare up of my ulcerative colitis. Other than that, I am a very slow loser. I really feel as though I am gaining muscle, and this week I have decided to make large increases in my weights.

Had to come back and edit this. Someone over at L&S asked about plie squats, and I got my answer there!

MrsJim
08-07-2001, 09:15 AM
Yesterday I was feeling kinda yukky as a result of Free Day bloat...happens to me when I eat a lot and don't drink as much water as I should.

Today I woke up and felt great - really hit the elliptical hard! It's going to be a gorgeous day - even though I have to work I still love to look out the office window (I'm on the 9th floor) and see the San Francisco Bay and Mt. Diablo in the distance.

OH and yesterday I got my Arnold book and started to dive into it. (when I checked it out of the library I just checked certain exercises). This book (BTW, it's called "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding") is HUGE - over 800 pages filled with photos. It starts off with a history of bodybuilding and goes on from there. Facinating reading so far! I've always admired Arnold's strength and enjoyed some of his films ("Twins" and "The Running Man" in particular). Reading the book, though, makes me realize that there is a HIGHLY intelligent brain inside that amazing bod! I'd especially recommend it if you can't afford a personal trainer (with me, it's a choice between finding and paying for a competent trainer OR taking English riding lessons - the riding lessons win easily).

The hardcover retails for $50 but I found the paperback at www.half.com for around $12 plus shipping.

Since Shelley listed her typical daily menu, I'm going to list mine once again. Meal #1 is a Myo Lite (I just ordered Cappuchino Ice - looking forward to trying it!) about an hour after my workout. Meal #2 is cottage cheese and cut fruit (usually cantalope and honeydew with some strawberries mixed in). Meal #3 is usually at this fabulous Japanese fast-food restaurant called Mydashi near my work. They have BROWN RICE - I get a regular size grilled chicken rice bowl with brown rice, extra veggies (cukes) and very light on the sauce. Meal #4 has been a meal replacement bar (usually Pure Protein or MetRx Protein Plus) and a fruit, but I'm planning on switching to cottage cheese and a fruit. First off, most MRB's taste icky. Secondly, because of the high sugar... Meal #5 is usually chicken breast grilled on the George Foreman, with brown rice (I like Near East's Creative Grains or Farmhouse Brown & Wild Rice mixes) and a veggie (usually mushrooms or carrots). Meal #6, about 15 minutes before bedtime, is a Myo Lite. Believe me, I'm never hungry except in the morning after a workout!

Later you guys!

devoted
08-07-2001, 10:52 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for all the information. Doesn't look like this is the diet for me. I don't have any trouble losing weight while still eating carbs. I need the fiber that cold cereal gives me. Oatmeal doesn't have enough. I'm just looking for something to jump start this plateau. It's frustrating because I only have 11 pounds to go!

Well, thanks again and good luck to all of you!

Lisa ;)

2BFIT1
08-07-2001, 04:42 PM
Lisa~~~Are you getting enough exercise. that always helps to get that jump start. Why don't you try adding an exercise programutilizing aerobics and some weight lifting? That way you can still have your cereal but you'll be adding something new.
~~~Sil

2BFIT1
08-08-2001, 08:50 AM
Where are you :?:
How is the program going? Did you decide to go with Periodization Training or stay with the original BFL, or something else. Tomorrow is the last day of my challenge~~YEAH :D
I still haven't decided if I will go with PT or stay with BFL and just push it harder.

After talking to several of the people at L&S who have been through several challenges, I have decided not to take a completly free week. My food will be in moderation with healthy choices. I do want to have some fresh baked deli bread with one dinner and some 94%FF Microwave popcorn while I read a good book at night. I miss that. Other than that I think maybe 2-3 splurge meals. By that I mean pasta with a cream sauce and fresh bread (no dessert !! ) at Macaroni Grill.

Well, it's cardio today and then FREE DAY tomorrow. Now that I think about it, Macaroni Grill will be a great place to go tomorrow to celebrate my actually completing my very first BFL challenge !

~~~Sil :wave:

MrsJim
08-08-2001, 09:29 AM
Way to go!!! And you're definitely doing the right thing by not totally going nuts during Free Week. Those days in Yosemite last month were a killer - but Jim and I always tend to overeat while we're out there (we justify it by telling ourselves how active we are cycling, horseback riding, rafting, etc.).

I didn't know that Macaroni Grill was a chain - we have one here too! Haven't been there yet but NOW I will just have to check it out...maybe one of my Free Days I'll drag Jim over there...

Shelley - in the Arnold book beginning on page 493, he goes into detail on "weak point training" for the legs, including foot positions. When you refer to "plie squats" (wish we could do an accent over the 'e' in 'plie' - just doesn't look right!) are you doing them in the First Position (heels together) or Second Position (heels apart)? According to Arnold, having the feet relatively wide apart and toes pointed out at a wide angle will emphasize inner and front thigh development. I've also seem them called "Sumo Squats" when the feet are WAY apart.

Well, gotta hit the shower so the water will warm up again by the time Jim wakes up! See ya guys!

MrsJim
08-08-2001, 02:15 PM
Today, I ran into this list of tips from ChrisK on the main board at www.leanandstrong.com. Since their board moves so quickly, I thought I'd post it here for your appreciation...

I have already emailed Chris to ask his permission to post - if he puts a thumbs down then I'll delete this post. If not, it'll be here for you to enjoy - I printed it out for my BFL Challenge Binder!

I thought that some of the forum members who aren't doing BFL but enjoy reading our posts would appreciate this as well...

I thought I would toss these out, as they have evolved over the past year and then some. I've learned a lot about myself, working out, nutrition, so I wanted to share that, as it may help someone, somewhere.

1)Do this for yourself. If you can't keep promises to yourself, you can't keep them for anyone else.

2)Do at least 1 full 12 weeks the BFL way. Learn from it, how your body responds, how it feels.

3)Don't bring anything else into the bubble you create when you work out. Focus on the task at hand, on your body.

4)Don't believe everything you read. About supplements, pro's workout routines, etc.

5)Eat CLEAN. I can't stress this enough. Over time, I found that what I thought was clean was sorta murky. Shop the outsides of the grocery store. If it comes in a box or is prepackaged, pass (except oats, rice, etc.) Eat vegetables, fruit, lean meat (not prepacked deli meat) seafood. Use spices, have fun when cooking. Bottom line, if you can grow it or kill it, eat it (sorry if that is offensive.)

6)Don't overdo cardio. Do your 20 MAS. Cardio for fat burning is overrated. You'll get further by increasing your muscle mass and eating clean.

7)Have fun with it all, this is for life. It's not a diet, or a short term plan, it is for life. You are making a lifestyle change.

8)Enjoy your free day. Some free days, I eat like ****. Other free days, I eat clean food, just a lot of it. Either way, enjoy it, it's your day off.

9)Most importantly, don't judge your self worth by what you see in the mirror. Yes, we're doing this to improve our physiques. But, it is a long process, and not everyone can go from flab to fab in 12 weeks. You will improve, you will get better. Enjoy the process of improvement, focus on that.

10)Finally, to rip off the Nissan ad, Life Is A Journey, Enjoy The Ride. Open your eyes to what is around you. Open your eyes to yourself and your potential.

Take care, good luck, and take this for what it is worth.

ChrisK

BTW, according to Steve L on L&S, Chris has lost 95 lbs and 12 inches from his waist doing BFL!!!

ShelleyM
08-08-2001, 04:12 PM
Mrs. J-I haven't starting the plie squats yet, but I was referring to the ones where your legs are wide apart with toes pointed to the sides.

I woke up at 4:30 today instead of 4:15, and I rushed through my upper body workout. It's amazing how 15 minutes can really throw off timing. I tried not to rest too much between sets, because I had to hop in the shower by 5:30, and my workouts never seem to last the 45 minutes that Bill says they should. It usually takes me 55 to 60 minutes to get everything in.

Congratulations Sil!! Enjoy your time off! 4 more weeks to go for me!

MrsJim
08-08-2001, 05:36 PM
Shelley - I was referring to ballet positions there - sounds like those plie squats are done in the second position - toes out, heels apart - sounds a lot like sumo squats too...

I have to confess that I seldom get my UBWO or LBWO done in the time prescribed - mostly because I'm busy racking or re-racking weights which generally takes longer than the two minutes in between bodyparts. On Mondays I seem to spend a lot of time BEFORE my workout putting weights away from the impolite slobs who show up on Sunday night and leave weights, benches, dumbbells, etc all over the place...grrr...

Also if there's someone using a weight or machine that I need, I have to wait for them to finish as well so that takes time. But I don't sweat it - because I'm getting it done and that's the important part!!! I usually finish in 50-55 minutes.

Alyssake
08-09-2001, 07:41 AM
Well it's Day 4 for me and everything is going pretty good. I had my LBWO yesterday and that went a lot smoother than the UB. I guess I'm a lot stronger in my LB than my UB. I've been doing my aerobic in the evening though the heat outside has been terrible. I've been jogging for my aerobic so far. The weather here has been in the 40's with the humidity. I hope it cools down soon.
I'm off to work. Talk to you all later
Jenn

momofkatieandalec
08-09-2001, 04:05 PM
Mrs. Jim,
Do you know who G. Porter Freeman is? He is coming to speak at my husbands work tomorrow in St. Louis, MO. Is he a big wig with BFL? Does he market specific products? Thanks!!

MrsJim
08-09-2001, 05:27 PM
In the Body for Life book, the first chapter is devoted to transformations. Porter's story is the first one...he was the first winner of Bill Phillips' 12-Week BFL Challenge. I haven't seen him in person but I HAVE seen him on the "Body of Work" video (you can get that for $4.95 from BFL's website or www.netrition.com - all profits go to Make-A-Wish Foundation). This video is about how Bill Phillips came up with the idea of Body for Life and the 12-week Challenge contest. First prize that year was Bill's Lamborghini!

Porter was formerly a bartender, now he writes a column for Muscle Media magazine.

The people at www.leanandstrong.com who have seen Porter in person have only good things to say about their experience!

momofkatieandalec
08-09-2001, 06:30 PM
I don't get to go, but mu hubby does! I'll let you know what he thinks!

ShelleyM
08-09-2001, 07:25 PM
Jenn- You're complaining about the 40's??? Try 96 degrees here!!! I'd be freezing in the 40's!!!

MrsJim
08-09-2001, 07:47 PM
...rather than fareinheit or celsius or whatever it is that we Yanks use!

Actually, Jenn, I'm going to be in your province the first week of September for a series of meetings that I'm in charge of organizing. Jim's coming with me on the company's dime (isn't that nice?! I LOVE my job!!!). Neither one of us has been in Canada before - Jim hasn't even been on an airplane since 1976!!!

We'll be staying in Niagara on the Lake which looks very nice. Unfortunately I won't have much time to sightsee since I'll be working my butt off. Fortunately the place that we're staying at has a complete gym with weights, machines, etc. etc. I'll be packing my Myo Lite and a Braun hand blender. I am going to STAY clean during that week (except Sunday of course!).

PS - Just checked weather.com - that's a whopping 104 degrees farenheit!!! I'm bringing my swimsuit!!!

Alyssake
08-09-2001, 09:25 PM
Shelley - Yes we use celcius over here on the other side of the border and 40 is very high. Kind of what you expect in Texas or Nevada not over here in Ontario. We are breaking temperature records. Very weird weather indeed. We are usually around 25 in the summer which I think is around 80.
MrsJim - Niagara on the lake is very beautiful and if you get a chance drive the 20 minutes to the falls. They are spectactuler!!
I ended up doing my Tae-Bo tape this evening because it was too warm to go for a jog this evening. Tomorrow it the UBWO again, hopefully it goes a bit better this time.
Talk to you all later
Jennifer

ShelleyM
08-10-2001, 06:36 AM
Whoops--- I'm an idiot!! Thanks for clarifying it!

Did good mornings today. I could really feel it in the back of my thighs. Same with the plie squats. I still can't do very much weight, because I can't lift the barbell up over my head with more that 47 lbs. on it.

MrsJim
08-10-2001, 09:34 AM
Shelley - don't worry about the amount of weight - worry about the FORM...I have to keep telling myself that too! I know how tempting it is to lift as much as you can but it's really important to work on the form, better a neat lift at a lighter weight than a sloppy lift at a higher weight.

Jenn - we're staying at the Queen's Landing Inn - it LOOKS close to the Falls but you know how those maps are!!! Even though these meetings are exhausting I really enjoy organizing them and watching everything come together. I also get to plan the meals (heh heh, I can make sure that there's clean food for me too!).

Time to hit the shower - got a late start with my UBWO cos I spent 20 minutes re-racking other people's weights. The nighttime gym rats are such slobs at my gym...just can't stand to see dumbbells and plates all over the place...

Debbie160
08-10-2001, 10:03 AM
MrsJim- the employees at your gym must be pretty lazy too. I agree people should pick up after themselves, but why aren't the people who work there taking care of it so gym members don't have to?

I am still doing well here in my 3rd week. My mantra continues to be "Don't break promises to yourself". At the end of next week I am taking my measurements again to check my progress. There must be a little progress at least because I wore a pair of jeans fresh from the dryer that are usually pretty tight in the waist and they didn't seem so bad. Am getting anxious to find out the results of my first 4 weeks!! :cool:

My challenge for the day is lunch out with a friend. He gets to pick the place, so I am not sure at this point what my choices are going to be. I am feeling strong though. Am doing my free day tomorrow instead of Sunday as I have a couple social events tomorrow and it will just be easier that way.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Debbie

MrsJim
08-10-2001, 10:10 AM
...'cos I get there before 5 am most days and there's usually about two or three custodial types, all busy working away, cleaning windows, equipment, etc.

There are also a bunch of signs around telling members in BIG letters to "PLEASE RERACK YOUR WEIGHTS" or face suspension.

Of course, in the wee hours of the night (at 24 Hr Fitness) I guess the night owls could care less.

Even with the dot-com recession around these parts, it still must be tough to find people willing to work from 10 pm - 6 am every day. I couldn't do it!

I assume that the musclehedz that are leaving their weights around for others to pick up are mature adults who know what responsibility is. Either that or their homes are totally messy (or Mommy is still picking up their dirty undies off the floor!).

:dizzy:

One of these days I HAVE to go there at 3 a.m. and see who these guys are...

ShelleyM
08-11-2001, 06:57 AM
!@#$^& I put on a pair of pants today that were loose at the end of school in May. Now they are tighter. My frustration level is getting very high. I am at C1W8D6. I think it's time to change something. Maybe I'll start doing cardio after work instead of before. Possibly I'll be able to put more effort into it. As it stands now, I am getting so frustrated, that I am getting more lax at the cardio.

Susanje-Where are you??? I need some words of wisdom from you. I know you went through this.

MrsJim
08-11-2001, 10:24 AM
Remember what Hussman's site says (you may want to read it again - he updated it a few weeks ago) "You change from the inside out..."

My legs and lower bod are the MOST frustrating part for me as well! I still have a major stomach pooch and let's not even talk about my thighs. HOWEVER...then...I look at my progress pix from C1 and can see the difference...plus Jim says that my butt is getting rounder and feels firmer to him!! :)

This is why it is SO important to take those progress photos...at minimum, take a before photo and 12 week photo - I'm taking them every four weeks so I'll be taking my C1W4 pix a week from today.

I still have awful cellulite on my thighs (now, I KNOW there's really no such thing as cellulite - it's just regular ol' fat pushing against the collagen fibers or some such). I'm still wearing the same pants - even though my upper bod is definitely becoming firmer and smaller...I figure when I gained all the fat, it started at my knees, up my thighs, onto my stomach (aack!) and upper arms finally to my chin...when it comes off, it's "Last On, First Off". I figure a lot of my thigh fat has been hanging on there for at least 20 years - it's not going to just slide off...

Could it be your TOM right now? Since my doctor switched BCPs on me, my periods have been really short and very light. Plus no headaches, which is terrific!

Remember that Susanje (you may want to email her at her homepage link...) didn't start to see results until Week 11!

I've got to get ready for my riding lesson (putting on those tight breeches is a struggle!) but I'll be back...take care...

MrsJim
08-11-2001, 10:33 AM
Forgot to say what I'm going to start doing for Week 4 and beyond!!!

I'm taking a tip from Tall Jen on L&S and going to make part of my meals (the carb part) on Sunday (when I'm not tempted). Most of my Meal 5 carbs come from brown rice mixes (Farmhouse Brown & Wild and Near East Creative Grains are my faves). My problem is that I KNOW I tend to make my portions a 'skoch' bigger than fist size...so on Sunday I'm going to cook up a week's worth of brown rice mixes (Tip - use a little more water so they don't get all dry!), then divy it up into 3/4 cup servings (I tried the 'displacement' fist test and that's pretty close to what I came up with as far as fist size) in baggies. Most of the time I use those boneless skinless chicken breasts in the big frozen bags and cook it on my little George Foreman grill, but last night I bought some of those little precooked baby shrimp and squeezed some lime juice over them.

My favorite veggie is sliced mushrooms, I cook 'em in my non-stick skillet with a little Pam and lemon juice or chicken broth. Portion size on that - I just buy the ones that are presliced and dump the entire container of them in the skillet, with a few frozen diced onions and a little crushed garlic. MMMM! If I forget to buy mushrooms, I'm happy with a raw carrot. For lunch I've been ordering an extra portion of cucumber salad (sliced cukes in rice vinegar) with my brown rice bowl and eat those first. Seems to really fill me up!

ShelleyM
08-12-2001, 07:56 AM
Mrs. J-Actually, it is about a week before my period. I realized it yesterday when I yelled at my daughter's friend and made her cry! I get real nasty PMS, especially since I am trying to wean myself off of Prozac!

I read the hussman site regularly. Also, I just read something on L&S that really hit home. Someone wrote that they went off BFL after 4 weeks a year ago, and she is very sorry that she did when she sees all the amazing transformations. I am going to borrow the digital camera from school and take another picture. I took one at 2 weeks into the program.

Today was weigh and measure day--still no changes, though! Week 9 starts Monday. It's hard to believe I have been working out daily, including my free day for 8 weeks straight!

MrsJim
08-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Happy free day to me, happy Free Day to me...

Shelley, I saw that same post! Don't ya just love L&S? Anytime I'm feeling discouraged (for me, it's "won't that tummy pooch EVER get any smaller??") I read the posts there. If they're really motivating, I print them out and save them in my binder (like the tips that Chris K wrote that I posted earlier on this thread with his permission).

Yesterday I went to the county fair with my parents, my sister and my PRECIOUS niece and nephew. About an hour into our visit, I started bonking BIG TIME and realized I hadn't eaten anything in like three hours. Of course, trying to find clean food at the fair, well you might as well give up. So I had to wait until afterwards (luckily we were only there for less than two hours).

I did have fun taking my niece and nephew on the rides though. Actually, I didn't GO on the rides because they tend to make me dizzy and nauseous. One of these days Jim and I have to take them to Raging Waters - that's more my speed...

Anyway, it was easy not to be tempted by all the fair food because there were literally TONS of obese people there eating away! The closest thing I could find to clean eating was a grilled chicken sandwich but since it was slathered in BBQ sauce I decided to pass. The same place was selling Corn on the Cob as well but it was all basted in butter...actually the corn cobs were sitting in a butter-filled container. It's like a class in "How to make a good food into junk 101".

Before that I had a SUPER second English riding lesson. Dee Dee, the trainer who runs the place I'm going to now, is terrific. She and one other instructor taught my lesson, then we chatted for awhile. Now I have another goal - to become a proficient enough rider to participate in a schooling show by next summer! I'm already posting at the trot (though only for a short distance). She thinks I'll be ready to canter pretty soon! Plus I LOVE the riding clothes...

So today is our Free Day and we are going to break tradition and go to Buck's Restaurant in Woodside. Maybe we'll see some celebrities (a lot of them live up there). If you guys ever get a chance to visit these parts, ya gotta eat at Buck's. But save it for Free Day - the portions are HUGE http://www.buckswoodside.com/restaurant.shtml

Anyway, I've gotta hit the shower. See ya!

ShelleyM
08-13-2001, 05:22 AM
I'm on free day carb overload! I fell asleep with shredded wheat by my side. I had to put the leftovers back in the box (I eat it dry.) I worked out at 3:30 this morning, and now have to go to work for the 1st day of school. I ate a whole box of FF/SF Fudgescicles yesterday. I'm so glad we have that free day! It helps when you are PMSing!!!

Gotta go, see ya!

2BFIT1
08-13-2001, 11:46 AM
Shelly~Hang in there, gal ! I know you can do it if I can.
The most frustrating thing for me was that I finally started to see results at the very end of the 12 weeks and then you have to take a FREE WEEK! I was so afraid to lose everything that I had worked so hard for. But so far so good :) So, don't give up (get even:D)

Well, My final stats are done. Here are my results from challenge 1. Not all measurements are complete because I failed to take them prior to the challenge. (BIG mistake).

Overall results:
lost 5.6# of body fat
gained 1.6# muscle
lost 4% body fat

START 5/19 ........ Finish 8/10
Ht.= 5'3" ....... same
Wt= 125 ....... 121
Body fat %= 19%...... 15%
Body fat weight= 23.8#....... 18.2#
Lean body wt= 101.3# ........ 102.9#

6/25....... 8/10
Chest= 36"........ 35"
Waist= 27 3/4" ...... 27 1/2"
Hips= 37 3/4" ...... 36 1/8"
Thigh=(L) 22" (R) ?...... (L) 21 1/2 (R) 21 1/2"
Calf= (L) ? (R) ?....... (L) 13" (R) 13"

NOW, on to challenge2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsJim
08-13-2001, 12:11 PM
I can't wait to see your photos!! (Perhaps they'll be on the L&S Transformation Gallery soon?!? Hmmm???)

Shelley - I too am suffering from the dreaded post-Free Day hangover. Even though I drank a ton of H20 yesterday, I'm still totally dehydrated! For some reason, I was just running on empty yesterday...did some housecleaning, visited my sister and her kids, then did some grocery shopping. I spent a bit of time in the backyard enjoying the sun with a good book and a bottle of water. Jim had to do a bunch of stuff with his band - they're making a CD (not to release, but to send out to clubs, agents, etc.) and had their band photos taken. Sounds like they might actually turn a profit - if he breaks even (on all his equipment) I'll be happy. Their website is at www.the-sun-kings.com (from the name, you can tell they specialize in Beatles tunes).

Had the TV on when I was cleaning yesterday to keep me company...some infomercials were on...all of which were weight-loss related. It still amazes me how so many of us are suckered in to these false promises by these infomercials! The recurring theme is 'lose weight QUICKLY while eating your favorite foods, without hours of exercise' for only $XX.

Got a ton of papers to rewrite, so back to work! See ya!

Debbie160
08-13-2001, 01:16 PM
Could I really have seen what I thought I saw this morning? An actual CURVE of a shoulder muscle? I have always wanted to have that sexy curve of a toned shoulder muscle. I thought I detected a hint of one this morning while I was getting dressed. Of course, it is still buried under some pudge, but it was definitely there. It was encouraging, especially after only 3 weeks. This weekend is my weekend to remeasure and see how many inches I lost (hopefully I lost some). I can't wait to find out.

I am still finding myself amazed with the weight training that I am alot stronger than I ever gave myself credit for. The eating part is getting easier too. The weird thing is that all week I spend looking forward to my free day and when it got here this weekend, nothing really sounded that good to me. Still, I ate more than I normally do during the week, mainly cold cereal and some quesadillas. Had a little ice cream too. I guess ice cream would be the one food that continues to be my weakness. But I have made progress in that area in that I can actually keep a half eaten container of ice cream in the freezer without it tormenting me until I scarf it all down. It is no problem for me now to stay out of it until my free day. If you knew what kind of ice cream binges I have had in the past, you would truly appreciate what kind of progress this is for me. I am VERY excited!!!!!!!!

MrsJim
08-13-2001, 01:55 PM
On Free Day, I KNOW that Jim and I are going out for a big breakfast...usually I don't start really craving Free Day goodies until Friday afternoon (if then).

Yesterday, I was doing my grocery shopping and was going to buy a pint of Ben & Jerrys - then I started thinking, I wasn't really craving ice cream in particular...what I wanted was cheesecake. However, I didn't want to buy a whole cheesecake just for me. (Don't say to just keep it in the fridge until next Sunday - doesn't work for me).

Luckily I saw those Sara Lee Cheesecake Bites - they are expensive ($3.99 for a box of 10) but since they are individually wrapped you can't just blast thru 'em like Bon Bons. I could only eat THREE before I got all bloated. Saving the rest for Jim (he'll probably polish them off tonight after dinner). I had also bought a box of two Stouffer's Cheese french bread pizzas, baked them both but just barely finished one. Since Jim didn't get home until after 10 last night, before bedtime the remaining one went down the garbage disposal!

Still feel bloated today though...drinking lots of water...

Alyssake
08-14-2001, 12:43 AM
Hi there,

Week 2 for me. Feeling pretty good. I didn't go all crazy on free day which I was surprised. I had some ice cream and some cereal for breakfast but that was about it.
UBWO is still a bit tough for me. Hopefully is will get easier soon.

Jenn

ShelleyM
08-14-2001, 05:01 AM
Took some pictures and compared them. I can see a difference in my back side. Mainly my upper thigh/butt area. It's hard to compare, because I haven't figured out how to put both pics together on the screen. Anyway, I feel better about it. Thanks, Mrs. J for suggesting it. The first pics were from 7/2/01--which was approx. 2 weeks into the program. My shoulders (which I though was my biggest difference before I took the pictures) are still very rounded. I want to get that square look so I don't have to wear shoulder pads anymore to equalize my lower body! I am going to have to pump up my shoulder work on the next challenge. I don't think I want to change anything until then.

Sil-Your results are wonderful!! Congrats! Can you email me the article on PT that you mentioned on L&S?? I am thinking about starting it on the next challenge.

Jenn-You made it thru the 1st week!! Great!

Debbie-Isn't it amazing how all of the sudden you can see a change?