Does it Work? - Phentermine

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Phentermine

Sassy06
04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I've recently started taking Phentermine and was wondering if I'm the only person out there taking this prescription? I've heard of all the negative things that happened with the Phen-Fen combination but nothing has been said since about only Phentermine... I'm a little nervous about the side effects but since my doctor prescribed it I'm not that worried.

Any comments/experience would be appreciated!!

reign2be
04-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I took phentermine years ago and lost about 70lbs, but then i fell in love, stop going to the doctor, started cooking and gain it all back then some. I never had any negative side effects.

kimberlydrn
04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
I've taken it 3 or 4 times and the last time I started having shortness of breath and palpitations and had to quit taking it. Just be aware that there are side effects and discontinue if you start to have any.

MrsJim
04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
We've had several threads regarding Phentermine and prescription diet drugs in the recent past:

DIET DRUGS_--I need your opinion!!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80243)

Diet medication Rx questions (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80262)

Xenical (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51506) (also mentions Phentermine)

Adipex? (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75152)

Keep in mind that not only from what I've heard and read, but also the Physicians Desk Reference, says that Phentermine is only to be used in a short term - just like speed (which Phentermine is, basically) people's systems usually build up a tolerance to the drug which renders it ineffective.

Personally, if I WAS going to take this - I would be under the very close supervision of my personal physican!

rebeleagle1965
04-21-2006, 01:06 AM
I have used phentermine in the past to lose weight, and it did work. I never had any BAD side effects, but had to be careful not to get overheated. It gave me lots more energy, so I moved around alot more and I think that's what caused the heart palpitations the few times I did feel them. I'm considering taking them again....I'm doing Atkin's now, but thinking about trying them again.

HeatherR
04-21-2006, 01:39 AM
I have used it several times in the past and it worked wonderfully BUT there was no way to keep the weight off once I stopped taking it. I won't use it again for that reason. I need a more realistic lifestyle and diet change.

Irishowl
04-21-2006, 02:57 AM
I just filled my prescription for phentermine, I start taking it tommorow!

Shannon

cryscket
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
have taken it in the past (about a year ago for 3mos) and it worked. The only side effect it had on me was cotton mouth.
I've come down to a size 12 from a size 24. I recently had all my excess skin removed via tummy tuck and I love it! I feel great, I look great and continue to watch what I eat and to walk daily. I haven't been released yet to start back on working out, but look to be at my next appointment, May 4th.
I'm so very excited!:carrot:

marbleflys
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
my doctor gave me a scrip for the resin based type of phentermine, (Ionamin) which releases slower with few "speedy" effects.........but I've only used it intermittently for a few days at a time, but with good success in curbing my appetite. no side effects for me, no elevated BP, just cotton mouth and a bit of constipation...be sure to include FIBER.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
I took phentermine years ago and lost about 70lbs, but then everyone started having heart problems, so they yanked me off it. I gained it all back. I never had any negative side effects, except for not being hungry. Those last few days I was eating like, a serving of baby carrots, a yogurt & a boneless skinless chicken breast half. In a day. I would've preferred to have been weaned off it, but whatever. :)

marbleflys
04-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Phentermine was the 1/2 of the Phen-Fen that did not cause problems....it was Fenlueromine? (sp) that caused pulmonary abnormalities (I think...can't be sure and no time to look it up).....one of the side effects of stopping a regular dose of phentermine suddenly is supposed to be a lack of energy. My doctor said to wean off.

Cafe Ole
04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
I take it (I only take 1/2 pill) and have had NO side effects, and doesn't make me hyper. I have lost 23 pounds since March 25, 2006 -- yes it does curb my hunger.

Mamadoodle
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I used it last year to lose about 30 lbs. But I got off of it and gained it all back. :(

rebeleagle1965
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
cafe ole-wow that's alot for a month! Are you doing atkin's too? I think I saw your name on that board. I ask because I've been doing atkin's for a month now, and I'm about to start taking phentermine again myself, as soon as my script comes in. Just want to see if anyone has combined that diet with a prescription.

Sassy06
04-28-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm hoping this thread will stay alive...

I started Phentermine and love the energy that I have. I literally feel like: :dance:

I don't have much of an appetite but I do eat. There's no point in getting down to 500 calories per day only to go off the Phen and gain it all back. Honestly, the best part of this whole thing is the energy I have for working out. I've been jogging 3 miles per day now (before I couldn't even do 1 mile) and I'm slowly incorporating weights.

I feel like Phen has given me the opportunity to not only lose the excess weight but a chance to "start over" with a new lifestyle. I'm going to keep up the exercise and watch what I eat even after the Phen runs out.

Justinsmom
04-28-2006, 03:19 PM
My husband and I have both taken this med. We had great results with it. But, after a couple of months it quits working and if you don't watch what you eat it comes back faster than you lost it. Good luck with it!;)

rebeleagle1965
04-28-2006, 05:49 PM
sassy-please keep us posted on how much you lose! What dosage are you on? I got my prescription the other day, and am having it filled. My small town pharmacy doesn't carry it in stock, so I am waiting for it to come in (I'm getting 3 months worth so I don't have to wait again). I've done Atkin's for the last month, hence the 20 lb loss already, but am having some problems because of it, so I don't know if I'll continue the plan after I get my meds.

I have used phen in the past and was lucky enough to not gain the weight back, atleast not until I got pregnant again. Pregnancy has been my yo-yo for weight gain 3 times, and my excuse to hog out relentlessly. It's important to remember that phen supresses appetite, and that's why lots of people gain when they stop taking it. Once you've lost the weight, your caloric needs are less simply because you are smaller, and if you eat like you normally did at a heavier weight, you are sure to gain it back.

Jenibabe
04-28-2006, 08:13 PM
I just started taking Phentermine yesterday. I swore I'd never take a pill because they don't work.. but after reading several posts here and on other sites and from the recommendation of a friend who lost a lot of weight with it, I decided to try it. No side effects, and with not feeling so hungry all the time I've found myself the past two days taking the time to make healthier things to eat instead of grabbing for the junk food that is so easy to just binge on. I've been exercising a little bit for the past couple weeks with no weight loss, and I know it's because I exercise and then binge. I'm hoping this will help me break those habits, and I don't plan on taking it for too long. Hope i have the success you all have had.

Sassy06
04-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok. I started my prescription on Tuesday after waiting what seems like forever to get it from the pharmacy.

I've been watching the scale and so far I've lost 3 pounds. Amazing for one week! But then again, I started my exercise routine (3 miles per day plus occasional weights) this week as well so it was a double whammy for my body.

I've made a deal with myself. I have to stay on the treadmill for 3 miles. How long it takes me to get thru those 3 miles is entirely up to me. Right now I find myself jogging for 2 and walking the other 1.

I'm going for a blood test next week to test for hypothyroid. I had the test before and was told I was in normal range.. but I still feel like I should be tested again.

I'll keep posting my experience on this thread if anyone wants to follow along (and add on their own experience?) be my guest. I want to lose 12 pounds by the second week of June. I'm getting married in November so I'd like to lose 30 pounds by the end of September.

I feel really motivated right now and am actually concious of how out of shape I am (and the fact that I never WAS in shape). I'd really like to improve my overall health.

webweevil
04-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I've taken phentermine a few times over the past 13 or so years. The first time it worked great! I lost the weight and remember feeling energetic, the kind of energetic that we should always feel. It was a good feeling, not the kind of energy you get from sugar or sodas. Anyway, some 10 years later I tried it again and it worked for acouple of months but then stopped. Increasing the amount did not control my appetite but did give me eye and head twitchs.
I used phentermine and Adipex which is just the higher dosage. If you have never used these medications, I think they do work for a few months, but if you've regained weight and are thinking of trying the pills again, don't expect them to work the way they originally did.

rebeleagle1965
05-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Congrats on the 3 lbs sassy! I can't wait to get mine! I do agree that they only work for a couple of months at most-you develop a resistance to the medication, which is common for lots of different kinds of meds. But if you are dedicated to a healthy eating program, I think that it can be a great "kickstart". I've been big and I've been small, and I know for me personally, the bigger you are the more difficult (and painful, and embarassing, for that matter) it can be to try to start a rigorous exercise routine, so if you can get a little weight off with a medication, and the psychological boost from the weight loss, it's all for the better anyway. No, it's not a magic pill. There's no such thing. But I'm willing to take whatever help I can get!

Sassy06
05-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I've decided to cut my dosage in half. I wasn't eating enough and I had no appetite which is not good in the long run and actually makes it harder to lose weight. Now I'm eating about 1500 calories per day with some effort. My appetite isn't all there but its not anywhere near the same as before on the full dosage. I'm down 5 pounds total now. :cb: I'm owning the treadmill now, increasing my speed and doing intervals of walking and jogging...I just have to get those weights in there.. sigh.

rebeleagle1965
05-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Congrats on the 5 lbs Sassy!!!!!! I'm still waiting for mine-can't wait to post my results here with ya!

HunnyBee
05-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Gals,
Great Post! I was thinking of doing Phen and a lot of ppl said dont do it. You'll never be able to lose weight again. Im at a loss right now.

Anyway, Have a great day!:cool:

rebeleagle1965
05-09-2006, 01:59 PM
That's crap hunnybee-nothing can make it so that you'll never be able to lose weight again-don't listen to those people.
What we eat and how we move is the determining factor, with or without any pill, and unless you have a medical condition, any of us can change our metabolic rate with some effort. That's why all diet pills come with a "used in combination with diet and exercise" disclaimer.
No pill is going to do it for you-we all know that. But I've found in the past that it really did help give you a "boost" like giving you the energy to be able to start an exercise program, and helping to eat alot less without feeling starved. I've use it more than once, and did not gain back until I got pregnant again, and that's MY fault, because I've used pregnancy as an excuse to sit on my butt and eat whatever I wanted. If sitting on our butts and eating whatever we want is the plan, then of course we will be heavy, and you can't use it to lose weight and then go back to McDonald's every day, but for alot of people it does work!

Sassy06
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I have to say that I am off phentermine. I've been having some pretty bad side effects so I've taken myself off of it. I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday to figure out what's going on.

Regardless, I wish the rest of you success!:D

Stevi-rocks
05-15-2006, 04:33 AM
I am currently taking phentermine and have taken it in the past (11 years ago). I use it in conjunction with atkins. The first time I suffered from some insomnia. This time I'm not having any adverse effects. It really does help to get you moving the rest is up to you.

MikiG
05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
My husband and I just got prescriptions yesterday and started taking the pills today. Both of us lost 60 lbs 3 or 4 yrs ago and due to a variety of reasons, we've gained almost 40 of it back. We lost the 60 just by exercise and cutting back on our eating. I've never believed in diet pills and never thought it was a healthy thing to do, but our health is being affected by our weight and hard as we try, we have just not been able to get back on track. I know most of it is a mindset and we're hoping that seeing a drop on the scales using the pills will get us back motivated so that we can go back to just eating right and exercising. I was glad to find here that most have had success. I"ll check back here in a few weeks and give an update on our progress. Thanks everyone for the info!

Miki

Jessica6897
05-25-2006, 12:54 PM
I took the blue and white phentermine. The only thing I can say is be weary that you will probably gain it all back plus some when you stop taking it. I was about 180 and dropped 20 pounds within the 12 weeks after I stopped taking it I went to my alltime high which is the 195 which I've been stuck at for a long time now.

But I never had any side effects excepting talking alot LOL (more energy)!

labelle16352
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
I took the Ionamin and did not gain anything back but without it I cant seem to lose. I LOVED the energy it made me get off my but. The problem is the cost. Phen is about 1/2 the cost but I am not sure if it works like the Ionamin. Any one tried both?

rebeleagle1965
05-31-2006, 08:06 PM
labelle-
I did a search to find out the exact difference between the two-
Ionamin and phentermine have the same ingredients, just in different form. There are many different types of phentermine. Ionamin is the resin based form. It is the time-released form of the same drug for people who don't like the strong effects of phentermine, and some people say it has less side effects because of that. Adipex is HCL form, phentermine is the generic-there is no generic form of the resin type, which is the reason why it's so expensive. It should work just as well as far as weight loss, it's more a matter of whether or not you can deal with a stronger sometimes jittery feeling. I have taken phen and had great success with it, and my sister took ionamin (because she was leary about the jitters of phen) and didn't lose a pound, so in our experience, the phen actually worked better.

MikiG
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Addipex is the kind that I'm taking. I started a week ago today and I've lost 5 lbs.:carrot: The first 3 days I felt a little "weird", but havent felt even the slightest effect since. I cant even tell I've taken it except that I honestly do not have cravings anymore and once I eat, it is hours before food even enters my mind again. Before, I obsessed over it...I was totally out of control and ate til I couldnt eat anymore and still thought about what I was going to eat later. Disgusting huh? Anyway, so far so good with the addipex and I'm really encouraged that I will now be able to get back on track with my eating right.

Miki

Buttercup McToots
06-10-2006, 03:39 PM
from you in a while. How is it going?

TheChubbyOne
06-11-2006, 10:44 PM
My doctor just prescribed Phentermine for me. Will keep everyone posted on how I do.

Buttercup McToots
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
What dosage are you taking? Keep posting. People just fall of this topic.

lil_angel_grrrl
06-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Im going to the Dr. tomorrow and am thinking about asking for a RX of phentermine.. I have done pretty good by myself, have lost around 48 pounds.. Lately it seems like I have just been at a stand still.. So I'm thinking maybe just something to help me hopefully to get going again, for my last 40 or so..

MonicaOU812
06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
I took phentermine for 2 days and threw the rest of the bottle in the garbage. If you want your entire house cleaned in one day because you can't sit down, and you want to feel high the entire day to the point of exhaustion? This would be the pill to take. Reading the other posts makes me wonder if I had an extra strong dose or What?! I took it at 6:00 in the morning because the doctor advised I start early in the day to avoid sleep problems. I couldn't stop until after 9:30 p.m. I must have been very entertaining since my husband LAO.
:dizzy: Doc said I would "get used to it after a couple of days and to be prepared." Ummm...2 days of being high was enough for me. I did not enjoy running at full speed (hence the term "speed") and I was afraid my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I might try this again if I wanted to run a marathon. LOL

spectrummama
06-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Hello, all! I have been taking Phentermine 37.5mg for a week now. The first few days I noticed a big increase in energy and was not hungry at all. However, now I am just as tired as I was when I wasn't taking it and I find myself feeling hungry a lot.

Anyone else experience this? I wonder if it would help if I took one everyother day. Kinda discouraging. :?:

Thanks!

rebeleagle1965
06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I know other people who have taken it and they do skip days, like 5 on and 2 off. Supposedly you build a tolerance to it less quickly if you don't take it all the time, but you shouldn't be tolerant already.
As far as the being tired and hungry, that could possibly be due to how drastically your eating has changed. Phen makes a lot of people not want to eat at all, and if you were consuming lots of sugar/starches before you started, and now you are consuming a drastically smaller amount, you can have withdrawals and cravings. Try sticking it out for a few more days, be sure you are eating enough healthy foods, and maybe even take a multivitamin. Your fatigue and hunger may just be your body telling you that you aren't taking in enough nutrients.

spectrummama
06-14-2006, 10:58 PM
thanks, rebeleagle... you got me thinking :D

I was out of town when I first started taking it and was back home when I noticed it "not working". Now that I think about it. DH (trying to be nice) bought me some ice cream to have when I got back home and I had been eating some of it. I wonder if having that much sugar again caused my body to crave it even more. Probably crashing from sugar high as well.

My plan for tomorrow is to still take the phentermine, but no ice cream- I got rid of it. and if I'm still tired, then I'll go off for 2 days and try that.

Thanks for your help.

Ellen
06-15-2006, 08:06 AM
I took it off and on for a long time. Like others, I had tremendous energy when I started taking it. You DO get used to it, however. Eventually, I NEEDED it to just feel normal. When I went off of it, I felt awful. It took me days and days to get back to normal. In addition, every pound I lost while taking it came back slowly but surely, no matter WHAT I did. I think I wasted a LOT of money, and a lot of time taking it. I feel much more energetic now that I am increasing my exercise regularly and being faithful in getting it in without excuse. Hopefully I did not damage my metabolism beyond repair with stuff like this.

rebeleagle1965
06-15-2006, 05:47 PM
No magic pill exists-the best way to lose weight is by increasing your activity and decreasing your caloric intake-I agree. You will build a tolerance to phentermine eventually-it says so on the info sheet that comes with the prescription.
I personally have been doing Atkins for awhile, and lost a good bit of weight in a short amount of time. It's a great way to lose weight, even though lots of studies show that in can be unhealthy in the long run. I also know from reading thousands of posts on that board, that your body eventually becomes "immune" to that, too, and the rate of loss eventually slows dramatically or stops completely, and most people report gaining back if they even "take a break" from the plan.
No matter how we lose weight, if we don't make permanent changes, the weight is going to come back. If you lose weight just by exercising, and then you don't exercise for 6 months, you will put weight on. If you follow a diet like Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, and then go off the plan and eat like you did when you were overweight, you will put weight on.
I just started taking phen again a few days ago. It doesn't work for everyone. I'm not encouraging anyone to take any diet pill-they are expensive, unnecessary, and not natural to the body-but I have used phen in the past to take off pregnancy pounds, and I didn't gain it back-atleast not until I got pregnant again-that's why I'm here. It does have side effects and risks associated with it, but so does being overweight. It can be addictive, but no more so than the couple of cups of coffee most people drink every morning (and can't wake up without).
I don't mean to be on a soap box here, or to detract from anyone else's opinion, but there are two sides to this story, and it's not all scary and negative. We have all damaged our metabolisms by becoming overweight or inactive. Having gastric bypass will "damage" your metabolism, but most people who've had it are better off for it anyway. There are alot of charlatan's out there selling snake oil in magazine ads and on TV, taking your money and making promises that can't be kept. But phentermine is a prescription, monitored by the FDA, and supervised by a physician. If it (or other prescriptions) didn't work for anyone, it wouldn't be prescribed-it wouldn't even be on the market. Prozac doesn't work for everyone with depression, it has side effects, and it can be addictive. Why will your doctor give it to you? Only if the there is a problem he/she thinks can be corrected by it, and the benefits outweigh the risks. Same situation here.

Stevi-rocks
07-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Phentermine is an excellent diet aid for those seriously inactive and overweight. Its not something I would take for very long (as I have taken it). It enables you to gain the energy you need to make the nessecary changes. But you have to make those changes for good as with any diet. After I had my DS#2 I was at an all time high and bcuz of a problemed pregnancy, I was very inactive for months...It really helped getting me started.

rebeleagle1965
07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
wikipedia has some really good info on phentermine about how it works for anyone interested.
Losing weight with any kind of diet pill is tricky, in the fact that if something supresses your appetite, you lose weight, and then that's gone, you're on your own to maintain it. Yes, if you gain weight back, it's because you're not maintaining it yourself. It's alot easier to blame a pill or a diet plan, but there isn't anything in phen or any other pill that will MAKE you gain weight back when you stop taking it. You have to be prepared to make permanent lifestyle changes once you lose weight with any plan, because the science is still the same...calories in-calories out, and the smaller you are the less you need. If we don't stick to it, we're wasting our time/money/effort with whatever we're doing.
I didn't gain weight back after I lost from phen-I maintained it for 2 years until I got pregnant again. I took it after my 1st child was born for 3 months, lost about 45-50 pounds, and lost a few more in the months after without it.
There's no guarantee it will work for everyone. It is a prescription appetite suppressant, and one of the effects it gives is more energy. That's not to say that you can't still have bad eating/exercise habits while on it-the effects won't override your emotions, boredom, or daily schedule-but I also found it really helpful in getting started when I was ready.

rebeleagle1965
07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
It's VERY important that you drink tons of water-I noticed that I got a headache or a little nauseated sometimes if I wasn't getting enough. Also, if you keep noticing it, try taking it 2 hours after breakfast. Sometimes it helps to have something on your stomach first instead of taking it and then having to wait to eat.

Wolfena
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I took phentermine a few years back - lost 35 pounds easily within 5 or 6 months.

It was the best appetite suppressant I ever used... I didn't even have the desire to eat when I was bored, smelled or saw yummy food, was cooking for others- I often had to MAKE myself eat something.

It changes your metabolism - I DON'T recommend taking it!! You're not supposed to take it forever, but as soon as you stop you gain all the weight back and it's even harder to lose after that.

When I took it, I started at a higher dose, eventually weaned down lower and off it over the period of about a year. (as recommended by my Dr.) In the meantime I improved my eating habits and became more active. I thought that my lifestyle change would help maintain my weight loss after going off it but I was wrong.

It felt so good to lose the weight so fast and I looked really good, but it wasn't 'real' - it was only temporary. :(

It also made it hard for me to fall asleep & I bruised easily, and I had a very dry mouth (but I didn't care... I was SKINNY!!)

I ended up gaining back more than I'd lost & was depressed and felt like I'd NEVER lose the weight. I ALMOST went back on it out of desperation - but decided I needed to let my body get back to 'normal' so I could REALLY lose the weight and keep it off. It's been over 2 years since I last took it, and I'm just now finally getting this weight loss thing right!

(although I am using Lipo-6 without ephedra from GNC as an appetite suppressant- which seems to be helping me quite well so far) :)

aint misbehaving
07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I have found that anytime I use a diet pill of any kind, I end up gaining the weight back. WW works best for me as long as I attend the meetings and journ http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar098/cartoonbulb01/lb/190/145/189/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)al.

Stayc
07-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I was on Phentermine a few years back to lose 40 pounds, which came off within a matter of months. I thought it worked great. Then one day it stopped giving me the energy I loved. Well so I increased my intake to 1 and half pills a day, well that worked great for a while , then I increased it to two a day then three and etc.. you get the picture,I became so addicted to these pills that my great mom and sis finally talked to me , then my mother went so far as to contact the doctor who was give me them. I was 125 pounds and I thought on top of the world. I went off them the next week cause my doctor wouldn't give me anymore and I would lie and wear weights underneath my clothes for my weight to be up. It got really crazy and the end result I gained the 40 pounds back plus 13. I am telling my story to let you all know that this drug is also very addicting, I think mostly because of the weight I was getting the results I wanted and didn't want them to go away. And in the process I lost myself. So please take them with caution, because I wanted to be skinny more then anything and I learned a big lesson. This pill is short-term , good luck to you all in your journey !!
Stacey

angelfishtales
07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I used to weigh 125-130lbs before I got pregnant (Oct. 2003) the minute the Dr. confirmed I was preggo (literally before I even missed my first period) I used it as an excuse to EAT JUNK, and gained 80lbs, YES, 80lbs - 205 lbs. I breastfed, and that just left me famished and exhausted, so I didn't loose much. October 2004 comes along and I'm pregnant again...when I gave birth I weighed 220lbs ~ from a size 6.... My baby is a little over a year now.

I'm a teacher and my last day of work was 6/28 I weighed 211. I started the phen 7/15 at 203, I weighed myself a week later and was at 196. I'm working out every other day, long walks and the Firm and eating small nutrious meals throughout the day. The phen really helps, if you're under a Dr's care, and take it as an opportunity to clean up your diet and start moving...

chela
08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
:carrot: hey sassy, I 'm currently taking it its great and it works fast. what i mean is that you lose weight fast. i love it I been on it or a year on and off. but it does have its side off effects like the shakes and anxiety. but after a few days they'll go away. good luck lets us know how its working out for you.

smolderingvixen
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I have taken Phentermine in the past and it does seem to lose it's effectiveness after awhile...I lost a ton and then gained it all back plus. I took it in the fen/phen combo and now have moderate mitral valve regurgitation....the phentermine was not the cause but my cardio specialist told me to completely stay away from it...it can cause heart palpatations, arrthymias and can be addictive....it works much like meth....on a chemical level. I have never used meth but I can tell you that the combo made me feel great and I lost alot of weight but the heart damage is certainly not worth the risk....Leslie

haleydee
08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi, im Haley and im 24 from Texas. I just started the Phentermine along with a water pill on wednedsay August 9th. I got a b12/b6 shot on the 8th, and so far no side effects, other than a touch of insomnia but nothing too bad. I have about 64 pounds to lose, then I want another 20 on top of that, so about 80 pounds is what im hoping to lose. I too, am having to force myself to eat. i havent even take my pills yet today and im already sweating! i hope this works out for me.

RenewedSpirit
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I got my script today. Will see how it goes. I also got a script for water pills and potassium.

Beach Patrol
10-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I used Adipex for a while. I did lose weight - but was it the Adipex? I'm not sure, as I was already "dieting" & exercising before I started taking it. It did give me some good energy. I was able to complete a full day's work, then go to the gym, then home & do some cleaning or run errands, & I didn't feel like I was about to fall down, LOL! I remember one day inparticular, I couldn't remember if I'd taken my Adipex or not, so I went ahead & took one - appartently that was my SECOND pill of the day... I kid you not! - I was on fire that day! - I didn't sleep for over 40 hours! - I was constantly cleaning something or rearranging something or taking a walk or whatever; I just had bookoo energy! It was an extreme high.

After about 6 or 8 months, I went off the meds. I did gain weight back. But I stopped exercising (injury took me out of the gym) and a few months after that I started eating junk again instead of making healthy choices. So did I gain weight because I went off the Adipex? I don't think so. I think it was my lack of exercise & bad food choices that made me gain the weight back.

I might go back on Adipex again. But right now, I'm on Celexa for depression, and it's really helping me. So I'm not sure I want to mix meds. The doc has offered to give me Adipex again; I'm just not sure I want to take that route. I am not really trying to lose weight at this time; I'm more interested in getting my head together. But I AM trying to not gain anymore! Good grief, it's a long hard road, ain't it? :rolleyes:

motownsunshine
10-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Phentermine works! I did virtually nothing but take the phentermine in the beginning and lost about 15 pounds in a month. I did not gain it back either. I was just looking for the easy way out at the time though. With just diet, exercise, and drinking plenty of water (in fact nothing but water) I lost 6 pounds in 5 days. It just goes to show that when you motivate yourself and stick to the absolute right thing to do then you cannot go wrong at all.

Allycatisfat
10-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I have just started Phentermine as of last Thursday. I have some side effects like dry mouth. I know that I will not be on this pill long. Right now, I am using it as a crutch to get me through the first couple of months. It has really helped with the sugar cravings. Someone brought in made-from-scratch cupcakes to my dance class that were topped with fudge icing. Normally, I would have eaten two. I didn't have one.

I take one pill in the morning, but I'm considering breaking my pill in two and taking one half later in the day because around 5 pmish I sort of "come off" the drug and lose alot of energy. I am thinking that this is because I am not eating enough during the day.

I really don't know what to do with that aspect. I have a hard time eating. I take my pill at 8:00am and then eat breakfast at 8:30 (it says to wait a 1/2 hour before eating.) Breakfast for the past few days has been oat bran cereal with some blueberries and splenda cut with a little bit of skim milk. Then lunch rolls around and I can only stomach about 1/2 cup of whatever I brought (left overs). Then I force myself to eat a yogurt around 3i:00pm-ish. Then I don't eat dinner until later. This pill pretty much makes you starve yourself without the pain of it. I'm pretty worried there...my Doctor told me achieve 1400 calories a day...I barely made it to 1100 yersterday.

Well, I'm still going to try my best. I was on Atkins but Atkins is so darn expensive to maintain and requires constant cooking. It does help me stay away from evil sugar though...My fridge and cubbards are sugar free now. I am eating carbs but only from whole grain sources that include a lot of fiber. (Beans, oat bran cereal, veggies, 7 grain bread, stuff like that.) I also have low fat dairy products and leaner meats. Basically, I'm doing South Beach phase 2-3, skipping 1. I'm trying to make sure that the calories and carbs I do consume come from healthy sources and not sugar and junk.

Pray for me! I'm so desperate to lose.

Ally

motownsunshine
10-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Maybe it is just me but while taking phentermine I feel a little emotional. Almost sensitive to everything! Has anybody else experienced that?

rebeleagle1965
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I know when I took it I was sometimes kindof on edge-not really what I would call emotional, just more easily agitated I guess.
Phentermine stimulates neurons in the brain to release neurotransmitters that signal that "fight or flight" response in the body. You know that feeling you get when you're uneasy about something, like you're walking to your car alone in a dark parking lot? Or walking through the woods and hear a noise behind you? THAT's "fight or flight". It's our bodies way of protecting/preparing ourselves for danger. No way we can think about twinkies when that's going on, lol. Don't get me wrong-it's not like phen will make you feel scared-I'm just using those scenarios as an example of how our bodies produce those neurotransmitters naturally. It just makes the brain make those same chemicals.
It's a weird way to go about it, but when our brains/bodies are in this mode, the hunger signal can't get through-which is how phen supresses our appetite. So because it goes through the brain to alter mood to block hunger, I'm sure it can have different effects on different people. It's also one of the reasons why some people can't tolerate taking it, why it can cause insomnia, and why you can't take it if you are or have been taking maoi inhibitors (anti-depressants).

RockerGirl
11-02-2006, 01:18 PM
I tried to get my doctor to prescribe this and she said no because it has caused strokes in young women. Has anyone heard anything about this.

Sojourner
11-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Yes with phentermine you will lose the weight but more than likely gain it right back once you are off it because you no longer have an artificial appetite suppressant helping you. I have used this drug a couple times many years ago... both times lost maybe 20 pounds with exercise but always gained the weight right back. Side effects include racing heart, heart palpitations, dry mouth, insomnia, excessive thirst, irritability, trembling, and restlessness. It can cause depression and lethargy when you go off of it.

The only weight loss I have ever been able to keep off was through healthy eating choices (not chemically induced dieting with drugs) and exercise. Also phentermine IS ADDICTING and the high you get wears off after several weeks. This stuff is related to speed... I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

rebeleagle1965
11-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I just did a quick search and didn't find anything tying phentermine to strokes(that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, though)....but I did have one doctor not want to prescribe it to me years ago because he thought it was basically like a pharmaceutical amphetamine and possible addictive. There are lots of prescription weight loss drugs out there, and any pill you take is going to have side effects. My biological father took either xenical or meridia, not sure which, and said he had some less than desirable effects that deal with, how should I put this.....anal leakage? Even OTC stff doesn't agree with some people.
I agree that after losing weight any kind of way it is going to be hard to keep it off, because this shouldn't really be about just dieting. We all have to make lifelong changes, or it's going to come back, no matter how we lost it. If once weight is gone you aren't prepared to keep up a healthy lifestyle, then don't waste time and money trying phen or anthing else for that matter. There's nothing in any pill or plan that MAKES you gain weight once you stop. If you don't go into this with the mindset that you have to do it on your own eventually, then you are setting yourself up for failure. In the end, you have to eat healthy and live healthy to BE healthy. So taking a pill or dieting as a quick fix just to have a cheeseburger as a reward once you're thinner is never going to work for anyone. I know even for myself, the fact that I developed such an unhealthy relationship with food, and the fact that McDonald's is just freakin' delicious, the idea that I can never go back to eating/viewing/enjoying food the way I used to is intimidating and depressing sometimes. But if I want this bad enough, that's just the way it's gonna have to be. And there isn't a thing in the world I can buy or take to change that.

Allycatisfat
11-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I have been taking Phenterimine now for a week and two days. I stopped feeling side effects after 3 days. I think that it is already wearing off as it does not give me that suppressent effect as strongly as it did the first couple of days but it still takes the edge off.

Konnie
12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
I started Adipex 37.5mg pills and after 3 days I got a headache and my head did not stop hurting until I stopped the pills and stayed off of them for at least 4 days. After 4 days my doctor told me to try 1/2 pill and my headaches came back with my blood pressure being really high also. They were not good for me, but through all of that I didn;t feel hungry.

rebeleagle1965
12-28-2006, 06:57 PM
The 37.5 is the highest dose available. Many people find it too strong and cannot tolerate it-some people don't respond to even the high dose. I guess we're all just different in how we react to these types of things. It is available in lower doses, and also in a time released capsule.
According to wikipedia, the way that phentermine works is to chemically artificially induce the "fight or flight" response in the brain. It sounds like a weird way to go about it, but apparently it is supposed to keep our receptors busy with that so that we don't receive and respond to the hunger signal.
So I can see how it might make some people feel a little paranoid, or how it could cause a rise in blood pressure, and why we all respond differently.

kateful
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I took it for three months--September-November. I still have about twenty pills left but am not using it. I have put on a few pounds, but I also moved and was off work for two weeks during the holidays eating too much and not exercising. I have no doubt that now that my exercise equipment is set up and I'm back to work that I can get back to where I was and on my way down again. It helped me know that I won't die on 1200 or 1300 calories a day and that walking four miles won't kill me either.

I have never been able to lose weight on my own like I could with adipex. I was able to stop obsessing about food long enough to start to enjoy exercising and the way good whole foods make me feel. It was a great thing FOR ME.

I had some tightness in my chest for the first few days. I went to the doctor every month for a check up and weigh in. I would never recommend anyone taking this medication without close medical supervision.

lovelymmb
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I just started phentermine today. My doctor only gave me a month worth so hopefully it will give me a boost and then I will be able to lose weight w/out it.

jansusan
03-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Hello, everybody!! I havent posted in a long while. Ive been taking classes for going on 9 weeks .Sitting in class all day doesnt help to lose weight. I eat to just keep my energy up and to keep from falling a sleep.
My question is ,how much is your perscription for phenterine a month? I was on this 15 years ago and lost about 20 lbs with walking every day. Hopefully with a job coming up soon I`ll be able to afford it. TIA

cara1980
03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I have been taking Phenermine (Adipex) 37.5 for a year now. I have tried it 2 previous times with great results but I gained the weight back as soon as I stopped. All 3 times I lost 30 lbs the 1st month. This time when I started something clicked with me. I had lost a baby and was diagnosed with Pseudo-tumor Cerebri which is a disease caused by obesity. I started doing better after 6 months but I gained the weight back I had lost to get over the disease. I decided march 2006 to get my tubes tied b/c I didnt want to risk another pregnancy ending in stillbirth and I was told if I got pregnant again and the Pseudo-tumor came back I would become blind and there was a 50/50 chance of a stroke, even if the baby survived. To me the odds were too much, that was the turning point for me. I went back on Adipex 4-2006 and lost 30 lbs the 1st month. I then stopped taking the Adipex every day and only used it to get a few lbs lighter. When I would lose a little bit more weight I stopped taking the adipex, if I kept the weight off I started the meds again to lose a little bit more, if I gained I knew it was something I was doing.

I plateaued at 205 lbs for a long time (I was 225 in high school so I have never been that small) and the Adipex finally helped me get past that. Since 205-207 the weight loss has slowed significantly. Adipex can be a wonderful tool to help lose weight if you change your eating habits. If not as soon as you go off it you will gain the weight back.

When I 1st started taking it, I had loose bowels for about 3 days, tingly skin and a slight headache. Those with blood pressure problems shouldnt take it b.c it will raise your blood pressure. To me the benefits far exceed the side effects.

If anyone has any questions about Adipex I'll be more than happy to share my experiences.

pookeysmom
04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I've been on & off phentermine for months & it gives me lots of energy, but it doesn't really suppress my appetite all that much. It is better than nothing, though.
At my weight loss clinic they suggest you take it for 2 months, then take 3 weeks off before you start again. That way you don't become immune to it. I usually start becoming immune after a couple of weeks though.
I usually use it just to stay motivated & energetic & to get me back on track when I go on a binge.

pookeysmom
04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Dontgrabmyfat -
I go to a weight loss clinic that provides the diet pill, fluid pill, 1 B12 injection for $120. The pills last 2 months. If you want more B12, they're $10 per weekly injection.

Taffer
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I have taken it off and on and have liked the way it gives me energy and curbs my hunger. I worry also, knowing that a "pill" is not a life long crutch. It does work though.
I took it under medical supervision and would like to do so again, but my doctor has moved and I am thinking any new doctor may hesitate to refill the perscription.
Good luck!

pookeysmom
04-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Taffer -
I don't know about your area, but around here weight loss clinics are popping up on every corner with doctors handing out phentermine or bontril with a fluid pill & B12 injections. You should be able to find another doctor to prescribe it for you. Good luck!

Jezebelle
04-21-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm going back on it ASAP. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me and it doesn't matter how I eat or how much exercise I get. My body wants to weigh 260 lbs and the fight is a losing battle without these pills. Right now none of my clothes fit me and summer is coming. I have to order them off the inter net though, I don't know how you guys get Dr's to prescribe them cos mine won't. Which means I'm paying 200.00 a pop for 3 months worth of them.

lilcountrybumpkin
04-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I dont know about most but Ive been on phetermine for about 3 months now. At first I cut back on my food and was taking them and I lost like 18 pounds very quicky. I love them. I started ww to help with my journey forward

starwish
04-24-2007, 11:24 AM
jezebell my dr wont prescribe them to me either! where do you get yours from? their are no weight loss clinics around here either i would love to pay $20 for them!!!

marbleflys
04-25-2007, 02:29 PM
At the height of 5'5" and 150#, you don't fall into the morbidly obese category. I don't know that a physician would prescribe Phentermine for you or WHY you think you need it.....I don't know your specific body-type but 120# on my frame (we're the same height) would look sickly.

starwish
05-22-2007, 08:01 PM
does anyone kown where i can get phentermine online?! or if i go to a weight loss clinics is their a way i can find out if they prescribe it before i go there!?!??!

LeighHop
06-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey Everyone -

I've gone back and read all of these posts and was just wondering how everyone is still doing on the Phen?

kehb
06-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Hi,

I was going to start a new thread, but thought it would be too similar to this thread. I'm relatively new to 3FC. I've got a LOT of weight to lose.

I was on Phen years ago and it really worked well. When I quit taking it, yes, the weight came back, but I don't blame my quitting of the drug. When I quit Phen I also quit EVERYTHING. I totally fell off "the wagon."

I'm now the heaviest I've EVER been. I had my yearly OB/GYN physical and talked to my dr. about weight loss. He suggested the Adipex and HCG injections. I found a local dr.'s office that does it and went to fill out the initial paperwork today. They said it would probably be August before they could get me in.

This isn't just an impulse decision. I've been doing a LOT of thinking about what I need to do and I had actually been thinking about starting Adipex again before going to my dr. today. I'm making lifestyle changes that I KNOW I'll have to maintain and I'm trying to increase my excercise (however that's been really hard here lately). I just think/hope the Phen (isn't that the generic of Adipex?) will give me the energy I need to get up off my butt and move. I know it did before.

I had a COMPLETE physical about 2 or 3 months ago and I'm in really good health. My dr. cleared me for whatever kind of weight loss regime I wanted to do.

So, my point for posting was to ask: Do any of you know or have any of you heard or tried the Adipex/Phen with the HCG injection? Does it truly work? Is it really that much better than just the Adipex alone?

Thanks! :)

LeighHop
06-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Kim -

First off, I hope things go well for you! I personally don't have any experience with the shots (and I think you're right about the Phen generic deal) but I've been reading another forum where people seem to have a lot of experience with a whole program like you're talking about.

http://www.phentermine.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi/forum/4.html

If you don't get an answer here, you might want to check it out.

kehb
06-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Kim -

First off, I hope things go well for you! I personally don't have any experience with the shots (and I think you're right about the Phen generic deal) but I've been reading another forum where people seem to have a lot of experience with a whole program like you're talking about.

http://www.phentermine.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi/forum/4.html

If you don't get an answer here, you might want to check it out.

Thanks Leigh!! :)

LaurieDawn
07-01-2007, 03:15 AM
I've read through all of the posts. Very informative!

I have been fairly successful for the last few months with making diet and exercise changes without the aid of a pill. (Don't ask me about the few months previous to that, though!) However, I have not been losing weight for the past few weeks, and I am beyond frustrated. I eat within my calorie range (and I'm thinking about increasing that range because I've been told that I am not eating enough), and exercise seven days a week, for anywhere from one to three hours. The scale just stopped moving, though.

My sister has been on Phen, and it was successful for her. What I would like to know, though, is if it actually increases metabolism, or just makes it easier to exercise and eat less. If it is the latter, I don't think it will help me much, as I am currently doing well on the eating and exercise. If it will boost my metabolism, though, I think I want to give it a shot, as this may be the missing piece to my weight loss puzzle - at least temporarily. So, is it a metabolism booster, or was my sister wrong? (I won't tell her that anyone disagreed with her!)

From reading this thread, I think I may try to use it for intervals - probably five on, nine off - for a maximum of six months. I would be interested in knowing opinions about that plan as well.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. I learned A LOT from just reading the posts!

jansusan
08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello every1,
Ive started taking Phen and Xenical , as of Thursday so far Ive lost 10 lbs. Since Thursday though I havnt lost anymore. I did stop Xenical (on Wed) for 3 days because of cramping. But I started back on it today. I`m eating low fat foods, no exercise.
Does anyone know why the cramping is so bad? Gas? Am I just going thru a time of adjustment? Then it eases off?

lots2go
08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
i'm wondering about all these ppl who started taking this, and how they're donig now??? i'd love to hear updates!! and about how much is it in your area?

jansusan
08-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, I went back on the Fat-Blocker (combined with Phen), and lost 2 lbs.
It seems that with Xentical , not getting very far from the bathroom in case of a accident, and the Phen`s side affects of consipation , balances out for me.LOL. But Im eating very low fat. I work second shift and only eat twice a day. Buy the time I get up around 11:00am, eat breatfast, get ready for work and lunch (for me) is 8:00pm. When I get off at 12:00,I drive home ,take a shower and crawl in bed. Too tired to eat.

dorko
09-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Hello, ladies!

I've read through the whole thread and I've seen how the pills work differently for many people. I've been on a diet my whole life--from atkins, south beach, rice diet, jenny craig, weight watchers--I've tried them all..I'd be okay for several months and then--BAM! I'd gain all the weight I've lost plus 10. I have no problem starting a diet, its just staying on for the long run thats giving me problems.

I'm going to see my doc tomorrow for a prescription. The thing is I'm on a tight budget. I was wondering if insurance covers Phentermine or any other weight loss pills? I have 1199 Greater NY insurance. If not, how much is it costing you to pay for the pills?

kattharris
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
What is the deal with the water pills and b12? What is it for?

nelie
09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
b12 gives you good feelings and water pills dehydrate you temporarily.

lamom
10-21-2007, 05:28 AM
I took phen off and on for years. I believe it changes your brain chemistry as do most drugs. Stopping phentermine was miserable and my house was a mess that first month. My energy went so far down I felt like I was walking through mud.

I started having problems with my gallbladder and I now have to have surgery. I've been in great shape (not now!) during my life but it wasn't during the time I took phentermine. It was when I worked out and ate super healthy food.

The people I've known while taking phentermine, their personalities changed. I'm sure mine was different too. My kids seem to like me better these days.

I personally miss my morning phentermine but I won't take them again.

Believe the doctors when they say they are for short term use only. My recommendation is to make sure they don't become part of your lifestyle. Healthy eating and exercise what our bodies need.

I've learned the hard way that nothing is better than being healthy and fit.

My personal experience with phentermine, in the long run, it didn't help me,

NJGIRLinVA
10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I also had a bad experience with Phentermine. I think it really messed with my brain. I did have a lot of energybut I could not sleep or eat. I was beyond grumpy and it made me very depressed. Some people like it. I guess it depends on our body chemistry. We are all so different. There really is no easy way..

SpringManor
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone, quick question. Is Adipex a generic for phentermine? I have been takking adipex and have lost quite a bit, like 30 lbs, but now I have noticed they aren't working like before. I have not lost weight now for 3 weeks. Any suggestions?

Sturn08
10-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I've recently started taking Phentermine and was wondering if I'm the only person out there taking this prescription? I've heard of all the negative things that happened with the Phen-Fen combination but nothing has been said since about only Phentermine... I'm a little nervous about the side effects but since my doctor prescribed it I'm not that worried.

Any comments/experience would be appreciated!!

I took Phen-Fen 10 years ago..... i LOVED it because I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks and felt great. I never had side effects, however my mother had a heart attack in my 6th week and the doctor wouldn't let me have it again. He was worried about the family heart health issues.

MommytoGirls
10-28-2007, 03:47 AM
A friend told me about this. She said something about it being really expensive though. Does insurance not cover it?

tjjsmom
11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Mommytogirls: it depends on your insurance. mine covers it but some do not. I lost 65 pound in 4 months the first time I took it. It does work but only for a short time and you will gain the weight back if you go back to eating the way you did. My advice would be to establish healthy habits that you can stick with and use the phentermine as that extra push. I think I might start taking it again myself just to get myself exercising...warning you will have EXTRA energy and you wont sleep much.

missionaccomplished
12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I am taking the Phentermine along with weekly Adenosine inj w/ B12. Dr supervised. This is not a fly by clinic that has popped up. It is a local well know clinic in our small town. Several in our town are all on this diet. To get your RX refilled you have to visit the dr. Just pop in once a week for injections. I have lost 24 lbs. in 2 months. Adenosine is is something that our body already produces and it is used to treat fatigue. Those patients saw their waistlines getting slimmer and that is why it is being used in weightloss. (that is how she explained briefly) Dr requires us to journal our food and exercise. follow a 1200 calorie diet (similar to a diabetic plan) although I do not follow the diabetic plan, I try to stay close. And exercise is required 3x week, but she prefers 5x.
I am taking a water pill...after the first month on the phentermine my BP increased slightly and I was retaining too much fluid on my legs. I only take 1/2 HCTZ when I have that tight feeling (like my rings) about every other day. I have not been dehydrated and my BP was lower this last visit. I am still holding a little more water than she would like, so I will continue the HCTZ another month and see how it goes.

I know all of the horror stories about phentermine, but I think that I am being well supervised. If I can get my weight down to a reasonable weight I expect to gain some back when I stop the meds, but also, I have, as a result of the medical care, the know how and the want to, to monitor my eating habits and control what I eat and how much I gain back...something that not even WW was successful teaching me.

freeqeegrl
12-13-2007, 12:37 AM
i go to the doctors office tomorrow. I am a little nervous. . .ill let you know how it goes, any suggestions about it???????

CMinGA
12-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I signed up to share my phentermine experiences. I started taking it one week ago in conjunction with being on WW. I lost 7.5 lbs. The problem? I have been experiencing extreme shortness of breath to the point where I can't take a deep enough breath and I am yawning all day.

I am a very active person, I work outside, and I regularly walk and jog without losing my breath. So, when I couldn't walk more than a few feet without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate, I knew it was from the phen. I also got extremely depressed after being on it for about 3 days. Those first couple of days, yes, I had tons of energy and cleaned the whole house and even shampooed the carpets.

But after that, I was miserably depressed and couldn't breathe. I stopped taking it for one day to be sure it was the pill and sure enough I was back to my happy self who could exercise and go all day without gasping for air.

I had bloodwork done and a routine physical before starting the medication per the doctor's requirements and there was nothing to indicate that I would be adversely affected. But I am definitely discontinuing the drug and just sticking to WW's. The shortness of breath is listed as a severe side effect and it definitely scared me.

doIlookfat?
12-19-2007, 12:19 AM
I took phen years ago and lost 30 lbs. I stopped when I got down to goal. However, I didn't like the sleepless nights and the anxiety attacks (they kept me up too). But I stuck with it because I liked the feeling of not wanting to eat.

I tried it again briefly 2 years ago (when I was up 30 lbs again) and it didn't work anymore. I wanted to eat AND I experienced all those bad side effects again. Stopped right away and will not go back to it. I am now heavier than I was when I began taking it the first time. *sigh*

Am I glad I took it in the first place? I don't know. I hope down the line I don't come up with some condition that was brought on because of the pill. I worry about that.

Heidi

missionaccomplished
12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I signed up to share my phentermine experiences. I started taking it one week ago in conjunction with being on WW. I lost 7.5 lbs. The problem? I have been experiencing extreme shortness of breath to the point where I can't take a deep enough breath and I am yawning all day.

I am a very active person, I work outside, and I regularly walk and jog without losing my breath. So, when I couldn't walk more than a few feet without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate, I knew it was from the phen. I also got extremely depressed after being on it for about 3 days. Those first couple of days, yes, I had tons of energy and cleaned the whole house and even shampooed the carpets.

But after that, I was miserably depressed and couldn't breathe. I stopped taking it for one day to be sure it was the pill and sure enough I was back to my happy self who could exercise and go all day without gasping for air.

I had bloodwork done and a routine physical before starting the medication per the doctor's requirements and there was nothing to indicate that I would be adversely affected. But I am definitely discontinuing the drug and just sticking to WW's. The shortness of breath is listed as a severe side effect and it definitely scared me.

I am sorry that you had this reaction...I have a friend that several years ago had similar mood issues when she took the med. I am NOT saying that it is for everybody. I am saying that I took it several years ago and it worked for me, but my doctor would not prescribe the meds again, because he was only giving me enough for a "jump start".
I am 2 1/2 months in and I am not having any breathing problems, not shortness of breath or heart palpataitions. My BP is slightly increased, I have normal BP without the med, I know it is the reason for the higher BP, but I am following doctors orders and it is working for me. I am not having any adverse effects other than that and I have all of the positive ones...weightloss and energy and ability to control what I eat. I now make much healthier choices in eating and lifestyle, so I am confident that I will be able to continue to control after I stop the meds...I expect to gain some back, but I will be able to control that too.

Best wishes all!
MERRY CHRISTMAS

fabulousonadiet
03-20-2008, 04:01 AM
I am taking the Phentermine along with weekly Adenosine inj w/ B12. Dr supervised. This is not a fly by clinic that has popped up. It is a local well know clinic in our small town. Several in our town are all on this diet. To get your RX refilled you have to visit the dr. Just pop in once a week for injections. I have lost 24 lbs. in 2 months. Adenosine is is something that our body already produces and it is used to treat fatigue. Those patients saw their waistlines getting slimmer and that is why it is being used in weightloss. (that is how she explained briefly) Dr requires us to journal our food and exercise. follow a 1200 calorie diet (similar to a diabetic plan) although I do not follow the diabetic plan, I try to stay close. And exercise is required 3x week, but she prefers 5x.
I am taking a water pill...after the first month on the phentermine my BP increased slightly and I was retaining too much fluid on my legs. I only take 1/2 HCTZ when I have that tight feeling (like my rings) about every other day. I have not been dehydrated and my BP was lower this last visit. I am still holding a little more water than she would like, so I will continue the HCTZ another month and see how it goes.

I know all of the horror stories about phentermine, but I think that I am being well supervised. If I can get my weight down to a reasonable weight I expect to gain some back when I stop the meds, but also, I have, as a result of the medical care, the know how and the want to, to monitor my eating habits and control what I eat and how much I gain back...something that not even WW was successful teaching me.

This plan was VERY similar to my dr's plan as well and I lost well over 60 pounds in just a few months! I would have lost a lot more, but well sometimes I veered off! Exactly like you said, they're not fly by night clinics, it's medically supervised, well known/respected dr's in my area as well (I was in Florida then). I'm in Greece now and I take the B6 and B12 orally and I've contacted my dr's office and they're willing to send me the shakes and fat burners *not the phentermine of course - damn! lol* and I'm super excited! This plan - especially the phentermine - was a Godsend for me! I had several friends on the plan as well and they all did fantastic!! Thank goodness I had NO problems at all on the phentermine - I did years ago when the whole Phen-Fen was going around... My dr also has an online program if anyone is interested for info, feel free to PM me!

Back to the phentermine, I really have to say I had great results using it during my diet plan as did my friends too! I think of course as well all know, up to each person.. and I think any weight gain you may have after Phentermine is really up to you - the pill can NOT make you gain weight, you have to use it with a diet so you can train yourself to eat better!

Good luck everyone!

lailbanana
03-25-2008, 01:09 AM
i just started taking adipex-p .. which is name brand for phenter. i love it... although i have only been on it like 2 days lol... alot of ppl on here saying they gained the weight back... and you will if you dont change your lifestyle and your eating habbits... thats what the drug is for to HELP you not DO IT FOR YOU... and alot of ppl cant grasp that... you need to learn how to eat to lose weight while your taking it not just depend on "not being hungry" if you develop good eating habbits and excersize then they weight will stay off...

GL

rnntn
04-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Phentermine is an amphetamine. It is addictive (habit-forming). That is why the experts say you should only take it for 3 - 6 weeks. Sorry, I come from a family that is and has been dealing with the disease of addiction. I take this kind of stuff very seriously. If you can avoid taking this kind of med, please do. Just my humble opinion.

CarliMac
06-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Phentermine worked wonderfully for me. I took it about 8 years ago and lost about 20 pounds in 2 months. I REALLY want to go back on it now but can't find a doctor who will perscribe it to me. Has anyone else had difficulty with doctor's not wanting the liability of perscribing a "diet" pill?

ddc
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
My friend that took it, lost 30 lbs in a couple of months and guess what? She's gained it all back.
Good dietary habits and exercise are the only way to lose weight and keep it off.

Good luck! :)

Tama
10-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I took Phentermine and Fenflouromene (Phen-Phen) back in the 90's. I lost 55lbs in a very short amount of time (from 195 to 145 on my 5'5 frame). I looked GREAT and went from a sz. 16 jean to a sz. 9-10. Gained every ounce (and then some) back after I stopped taking them when I was trying to start a family. I never renewed my prescrip for Fen after the first time...just for the Phentermine, because it seemed to work better. NO APPETITE on Phentermine. NONE! I would literally forget to eat--I kid you not. My current doctor is reluctant to prescribe phentermine, or I would be on it again--I admit. Side effects I encountered with Phentermine were: extreme dry mouth, extreme energy, occasional heart palpitations, insomnia and a sense of feeling "high" all the time. I felt great and most importantly...IN CONTROL of my eating habits. I did not have any issues with losing the weight so fast. I was under doctor supervision the entire time. The only thing is, you WILL gain weight back after you stop taking it. It's a temporary fix unfortunately. Like everyone else here, I've tried just about every diet pill, diet, and exercise regime out there. The only real way to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF (most important) is to watch your calories and EXERCISE. Then comes the hard part: maintaining your new desired weight. I'm a classic yo-yo dieter. I always tell my friends it's easy to lose weight when you set your mind to it, but it's even harder to be able to KEEP IT OFF.

aimz
10-26-2008, 02:34 PM
i have lost 5kgs in 3 weeks on phentermine (duromine).
i put ost of that to my exercise regime. i run approx. 20kms per week, do 1-2 spinning classes per week and a few gym and weights workouts.
i eat properly and have had no issues.

my doctor prescribed it to me as i was stuck on a platauo for months and it was getting me down aka eat to make myself feel better.

collegegirl09
10-27-2008, 09:56 PM
I took Phentermine for about 6 months this spring and summer and lost 30 pounds. However, I became completely tolerant to it and plateaued for about 2 months (of course, too many cheats helped with that...).

I've been off for about 3 weeks now, counting WW points and working out, and I have continued to lose weight. I absolutely believe it only works for the short term.

mimi1171
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I personally had not side effects. but I only took it for 3 months. Just because it made me wonder if the long term effects might be bad. But it worked!

calimodel1
11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I have taking phentermine in the past and this last time i took it , it mademe depressed ....but i am going to a different doctor this time and i hope she canfigure out what happend so i can start taking it agian.

DanielleAshley
12-15-2008, 03:42 AM
just my two cents. just b/c u lose ur weight on phen does not mean u will gain it back. i took it three years ago and didn't gain back ONE lb til i got pregnant with my daughter. this time i got on phen for two months and lost 30 lbs. the past month that i've been off i've lost 6 MORE lbs... ya know y?? b/c i am still eating right and i'm still working out. i am going to go back on it tomorrow to jumpstart again and hopefully get off this last 24 in the next month and half or so. phentermine can b amazing for a jump start but maintaining is completely up to u. weight loss and maintaining is just a simple numbers game. calories in/calories out. stopping a pill cannot affect that.

lodyangel
12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
A few years ago I took Phentermine for 1 month and lost 15 pounds. However, it made me really grumpy and mean (side effect) so I stopped it after the one month and I gained all the weight back. Wish it had been a more positive experience...that was the easiest weight loss I ever had! I just didn't want to eat. But if you don't change your habits the weight returns when you stop taking it.

aangel22
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
just my two cents. just b/c u lose ur weight on phen does not mean u will gain it back. i took it three years ago and didn't gain back ONE lb til i got pregnant with my daughter. this time i got on phen for two months and lost 30 lbs. the past month that i've been off i've lost 6 MORE lbs... ya know y?? b/c i am still eating right and i'm still working out. i am going to go back on it tomorrow to jumpstart again and hopefully get off this last 24 in the next month and half or so. phentermine can b amazing for a jump start but maintaining is completely up to u. weight loss and maintaining is just a simple numbers game. calories in/calories out. stopping a pill cannot affect that.

What kind did you use? Manufacturer? Strength? How much did it cost? Where do you get it? Do you need a prescription?

Sarah Mac
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I would recommend not taking it from personal experience. My roommate soon to be ex-roommate/psycho took it for one year and made my life a living ****. She wouldn't eat for days and when she did eat, she would binge. I know for each person it is different, but her mood swings were unbearable.

I do not know if anyone else has the crazy mood swings, but hers were borderline psycho.

I also took this medicine for 3 months when I was 18, but stopped after my hair started falling out and restless nights and an increase in teeth grinding.

deathnotronic
01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I've been on Phentermine since the end of August with about a week of not taking it everyday. I've lost almost 40lbs since then. When I first started taking it I had this amazing moment of clarity and it felt like my mind had been clouded but now everything was blue skies! Haha, really tacky, I know, but it's true! It was such a good feeling! Then a few days later between 3-5PM I would get really warm (sweaty even), anxious, and I just felt like crap. So, I tweaked it and started taking half (I was on 37.5mg). Ever since then I've never had any terrible side effects and the pill is still pretty effective.

The only annoying thing I've experienced being on Phentermine is that I constantly bite the inside of my mouth. I did it a little bit before the Phen but being on it just made it worse. So, I just try and chew gum to keep from taking it out on my mouth. :)

It's different for everyone. For me, the anxiety/jittery feelings were quite unbearable and I could see why one would stop. But taking half has made all the difference for me.

cmonamonamona
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
I did some research and am leaning towards starting with phentermine. Does anyone know how to get started? Do you think my general doctor will prescribe this and can I get it through insurance? Or should I look for a weight loss clinic? Thanks for help or your opinion.

rubbytummy
01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
My sister has been on phentermine for almost two years now, and her general doctor prescribed it to her. (Although I think he did so b/c she had weight gain as a complication of various anti-depressants.)

ddc
01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I had a friend that used it a couple of years ago. She was able to get it over the internet without any hassle, but when she went to renew the prescription they wouldn't do it. There are weight loss clinics in my area that prescribe it, so you can probably find it where you live.
One word of caution. She lost 30 lbs very quickly (about 3 months) and has since put it back on. So, I'd say, it can help you lose weight but when you stop taking it, the weight can be gained back very quickly. She was POSITIVE that she was not going to gain the weight back, but she has.
Also, phentermine is an amphetamine which will test positive on random urine drug tests--if you're subject to that at your job.

The best way to lose weight is by sensible eating and exercise.

Good luck :)

Meenamom
01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Is Phentermine anything like Fen Phen?

ddc
01-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Phentermine is the Phen of Fen Phen.

They don't use the Fen (fenfluramine) part anymore due to heart trouble/complications.

kittiebabyh
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I just started adipex yesterday. I only take half the pill though so I know I wont feel jittery. So far no side effects. I have just alittle more energy than before and have not had the cravings to eat all the time. I'm just using this to jump start the new me. I'm going to buy me the exercise bike I always wanted and with this pill learn how to control my hunger. My doctor gave a only a one months worth and wants to see me again in a month. I've read through all these posts and heard the bad and the good. I guess we time will tell:)

kittiebabyh
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know if it will cause you to lose weight without diet and exercise? Just curious.

nelie
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
phentermine is an appetite suppresant so... it is supposed to help with dieting but if somehow you ate the same and exercise the same then you won't lose weight.

StacyM
01-31-2009, 03:01 PM
I started phentermine on 1-17-09 I was at my doctors for a recheck of something else when we started talking about my weight. She mentioned diet pills and I said YES PLEASE! :) I feel like before I was living to eat and now I just eat 3 meals a day and they are all healthy sensible meals...this is how it should be! I am not counting things or stressing over things...when I do that I lose steam and it seems more work to keep track of everything and I stray very easily.
I have done so many diets in the past 2 years and none of them have ever gave me hope that I can actually do this! I have done Kim-kins, Adkins, Micheal Thurmond 6 week body makeover, worked out at curves for a year....etc

So what I am doing now is, I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast great recipe in the biggest loser family cook book for making it on the stove with all fruit for flavoring.
Then for lunch I eat a lean cuisine meal, and for dinner a sensible home cooked meal.
I am also working out to the biggest loser boot camp DVD with Bob Harper and it is a GREAT workout! The Dr. suggested I build up to 1 hour each day and I am struggling to get there but am getting better and stronger each day!
I am drinking lots and lots of water due to the cotton mouth but that is fine with me because before this I would maybe drink 1 glass of water besides my 2 cups of coffee for the day and that was it! I hated water! Now I NEED it all the time!
The first few days was weird...I felt like I had a very flat mood no highs or lows I was just kind of here. I had a weird swimmy feeling in my head which is hard to describe but it was weird. I also had TONS of energy! I was going to bed around 3:30 in the morning and had to get up to get the kids to school when the alarm woudl go off at 6:25!

I have been on it for 2 weeks now and have lost 11 pounds so far! I am thrilled!

I only got the RX for 1 month and then I go in for a recheck to see how I am doing on it, check my weight loss, blood pressure...etc. then she will give me the other 5 months giving me a total of 6 months on Phen. She said then I need to be off for 6 months and then she will only ever write me for another 6 more months for any period in my life while I am in her care. If I cant get it by then then it isnt helping me.
My meds were filled at Walmart and only cost me $28 for the 1 month.

Anise
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey, y'all. Here's my personal experience; take it for what it's worth, and nobody has to agree with me, but it may be interesting for some to know. I have never taken phentermine. I *have* taken amphetamines by prescription, but I could not stay awake for anything and was falling asleep all day long, so my doctor switched me to Ritalin. Ritalin is an amphetamine derivative, and people do lose or maintain lower weights on it, just like with the amphetamines themselves (and phentermine). However, only about 5% of the adult population can appropriately take the prescription stimulants that are Schedule II drugs in the long run-- you need to have very specific neurological problems with your prefrontal lobes, as I do. (Falling asleep on amphetamines is definitely one of the signs. ;)) They are VERY dangerous for long-term use for that other 95%. That's why they are Schedule II drugs (cocaine is another Schedule II!) I don't know exactly how phentermine is related to them, but that's what the situation is with the amphetamines themselves, and that's why they are so strictly regulated and illegal in most instances. So-- food for thought.

Leeesa
02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I took Ianomine and it was truly magical, the only diet pill that actually worked. I lost interest in eating, I lost weight and felt fantastic but alas, it didn't "stick" It did for awhile but then I got pregnant, and well, it was all over after that. I wish I could have more but my doc won't give it to me :(

irishsarah
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
After reading this whole thread, I am excited about seeing my doctor Thursday. I am going to ask him for a prescription of Phen. My insurance won't cover it and I will only have enough money to get a 90 day supply but that is fine. All I want is to jump start this weight loss so I can exercise more. I have three stress fractures in my right foot and the extra weight, along with trying to work out is a lethal combination. There are some days I can barely walk! I need to get enough weight off in the beginning while I am motivated, to keep me exercising.
I am tired and could really use the extra energy too. I have 4 little boys...I NEED energy bad! LOL!
My plan is to take it as prescribed for 2 months and then start weaning myself off the last month. I don't want a sudden crash that I heard sometimes happen when coming off the drug.
Since I can only afford 3 months worth, I am really hoping my doctor is receptive to the idea. I am going to be honest with him, if he doesn't prescribe it, then I am going to a weight loss clinic. I am sure he'd much rather I be under his supervision, then some clinic.

eviemc
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
My thoughts on Phen

5yrs ago after the birth of my 4th daughter I took Phen for 11mons. I went from 236 to 142. Here is the thing, I ate whatever I want just less. NO working out what so ever. It was not good for me, for me I need things to be hard. I need to want it bad enough to say I did it myself.

So here I am, I was 233 on Nov 30 and today I am 212. I am going it myself and feel better than I have ever felt before. I am going the C25k and learning to live healthy.

So please take that for what it is worth. I have also had several friends and family members have the same issues.

Dendrobate
02-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I have been looking for a legit place to buy online but after hearing so many people say they are probably fake if you order online I am nervous about it.

aangel22
02-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey, y'all. Here's my personal experience; take it for what it's worth, and nobody has to agree with me, but it may be interesting for some to know. I have never taken phentermine. I *have* taken amphetamines by prescription, but I could not stay awake for anything and was falling asleep all day long, so my doctor switched me to Ritalin. Ritalin is an amphetamine derivative, and people do lose or maintain lower weights on it, just like with the amphetamines themselves (and phentermine). However, only about 5% of the adult population can appropriately take the prescription stimulants that are Schedule II drugs in the long run-- you need to have very specific neurological problems with your prefrontal lobes, as I do. (Falling asleep on amphetamines is definitely one of the signs. ;)) They are VERY dangerous for long-term use for that other 95%. That's why they are Schedule II drugs (cocaine is another Schedule II!) I don't know exactly how phentermine is related to them, but that's what the situation is with the amphetamines themselves, and that's why they are so strictly regulated and illegal in most instances. So-- food for thought.

Ritalin should be used for ADHD and fatigue, not weight loss. Phentermine is a schedule IV drug and cocaine is only schedule II because they use it for glaucoma patients in surgery to numb their eyes (not sure if there's other medical uses...don't feel like looking it up). There's also a drug that's used for nausea in cancer patients that has THC in it if anybody cares about that.
Anyway, ritalin is locked up as it is a narcotic, phentermine is not. Cocaine is not available in pharmacies, atleast not around here. I was actually surprised it is a schedule II. Just some info for you all. ;)

aangel22
02-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I have been looking for a legit place to buy online but after hearing so many people say they are probably fake if you order online I am nervous about it.

You should look into getting a prescription from a real doctor. There's a lot of people out there that mess with pills and add harmful things to them. I was looking into getting them off the internet until I talked to our head pharmacist here. Not a good idea. :no:

timetoshrink
02-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I have been taking meridia for three weeks and have lost 13lbs. Prior to starting this medication I researched the side effects to see if this would be the right medication for me and then went to discuss this with my Doctor. He was not pleased when I asked him for a prescription but I did not let up and he finally gave me a prescription. I have to go and see him every two weeks to have my blood pressure taken and to be weighed, so far he has agreed with me that this has given me the boost that I needed to start my weight loss journey. I did have some side effects at the beginning and they have passed, I think that when you take a diet supplement it works different for everyone. I would also like to mention that I am going to WW and exercise 3-4 times a week. In the end what it comes down to is portion control and exercise, this medication is not a magic pill that will take all my weight off I have to work hard to make this work.
Good luck everyone

Amarantha2
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I have lost more than 120 pounds over a period of years and believe me if there were a magic pill for weight loss and maintenance of a sensible body weight, I would have found it.

Some medications may help in the short run, hopefully anyone contemplating that route would go to their doctor for a prescription.

What totally blows my mind is that people would buy diet pills over the counter or online from dubious sources and put those substances into the body they are trying to make healthier through weight loss when it is totally impossible to know what's actually in uncontrolled products and even if what's in there is correctly stated on the label (doubtful), it's very hard to predict what it might do to a given individual's body, which might moreover have some medical condition, of which that body's owner is aware or unaware, that would make even normally safe ingredients dangerous or harmful.

ladyrider72472
02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I wanted to put my 2cents in. I started taking 1/2 Phentermine back the last part of October b/c I am going to Vegas to marry in May..... and my youngest son bet me I could not lost 65 pounds by then. I have lost 62 and I have roughly 8 weeks to go. Let me say that I have been in almost everyone's shoes that have posted here. I have taken this drug before to lose weight and gain it back. This time I am determined it is different. At 35 I am too old to do this yoyo thing..... and what makes me think this time is different? I have used this pill as a tool, not a cure all and end all. I have a treadmill desk at work, where I have built up to walk 3 hours a day (during an 8 hour period). I have changed my eating habits and I do what works for ME. Not for my friend, my fiance, or anyone else...... but what works for me.

I am going to give this my best shot to keep the weight off this time. There have been days that I have not taken my pill and I am a little hungrier than normal, but I am not going to give in. This pill to me, was just like weight loss surgery is supposed to be to many-- It is not going to fix my problem alone and permanently, but it did give me the boost that I needed.

Thanks for listening. I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey.

Sweetums
02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Ok new to this site and this is my first post so please go easy...lol
I started using it back in June 2008 was faithful for 2 months and lost 15lbs. After that I stopped for a little while because it was getting a little pricey and I was able to keep off the 15lbs. I went yesterday to get back on it and hopefully this time I’ll be able to stay on it to reach my goal. Only side effects that I noticed were the dry mouth and sometimes I wasn’t able to sleep at night but I fixed that by taking the 2nd dose earlier in the day.
Hope that helps

Amarantha2
02-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Side effects of dry mouth and not being able to sleep at night would worry me.

amalthia
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I've been taking Phentermine since Dec. 5th and here is my experience.

My doc started me with half of the 37.5 once a day. I lost about 9 lbs. in Dec. Through January, I maintained. Didn't lose anything, so she upped my dose to one full 37.5 tablet daily. I have lost about 13 lbs. this month. Total 22- since Dec. I have not worked out once, but I intend to begin that soon. I have gone from a 16 to a 14.

My diet consists of grilled chicken salads, fruit (mainly berries, apples, and pineapple) sometimes a Lean Cuisine meal for dinner, an occasional Chick fil A sandwich, and every couple of days, I treat myself to a king sized Hersheys with almonds. I eat maybe once or twice a day.

I do have dry mouth, some sleepless nights, irritability, rapid heart beat (some days) an increased sex drive, and not much of an appetite.

Overall, I have been very pleased.

Amarantha2
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Glad you are doing the phen through a doctor since rapid heart beat can indicate some very dangerous conditions (although not always) and it's good your doctor apparently isn't worried by that when prescribing the pills.

Best of luck.

thistoo
02-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I've lost 65 pounds in the past 2 1/2 years the old-fashioned way (calorie counting and exercise). But my loss is really slow no matter how hard I work out (six days a week, including weight training) or how well I eat. I hit plateaus and sit there for six months (one time it was a whole year). I'm at another plateau now (since September) and I went to the doctor today to ask if I'm doing something wrong.

She wrote me a prescription for Phentermine and said we'd keep me on it until I hit a BMI of 30. The point of the prescription is to jump start my loss again, she said, since I'm doing everything right and having such a hard time. So I guess I'll see how it works once I get my prescription filled. I am a little worried about whether it will be covered by my insurance; guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the pharmacy.

I really hope it is, because I'm starting to think I'm never going to make it to my goal.

ladyrider72472
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Caroline,

I doubt it is covered by your insurance, however it is not too terribly expensive.

You do know they come with some side effects of dry mouth (extremely), and no sleep for the first few days-- don't you. And, some people (like me) that take them get irritable. However, I found if I only take 1/2 (of the 37.5mg pill--I break them in half), the side effects are not that bad. I am sure you will have a very clean house the first couple days :) But, to me the side effects were worth the boost they gave me in my weight loss. I had taken them before and I gained the weight back.... but that was my fault. These are strictly a tool--- not a miracle drug. Just as you have done, if you don't change your eating habits, the weight won't stay off. I don't know you but for you to have done it on your own for this long, I have no doubt you will make it and keep the weight off. Just use them for what they are intended on (like lap band) it is not a cure, but a tool and you will be fine.

Tammy

Amarantha2
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Caroline, congratulations on the great job you have done losing 65 pounds.

Plateaus are a normal part of a lengthy weight loss process, as I'm sure your doctor explained.

Best of luck to you.

thistoo
02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Believe me, I have dealt with plateaus before. It's now that I've gotten to the point where I can't even eat oatmeal in the morning if I want to lose that I need to start looking for more answers. This might not even be the answer, but I guess I will try it and see what happens.

I am not looking forward to the insomnia, but I've dealt with that side affect before (when taking Lexapro) so at least I know what to expect. I will keep you posted on whether or not the Phentermine does any good in my case. I eat well and work out a lot, so I'm not worried about being able to keep the weight off. I've actually done really well on that part of the equation during my (several very long) plateaus.

Amarantha2
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
You have done very well, Caroline.

ladyrider72472
02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Caroline,

I hope you do well. You have done a super job so far. Most people would quit after the first or second week of a platuea-- and you hung in there. Best of luck

Tammy

Angel600
03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I used Phetermine for 3 or 4 months. Pros: It works. Cons: Inconvenient to go to the doctor once a week, dry mouth. Big Con: Weight comes back because it is not a life style change.

hattia
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I just started using Phentermine (15mg) to start, along with 10mg of Lexapro. I feel energetic no rapid heartbeat, I slept fine so far. it's only my 2nd day. I started out with the lowest dose and then i go back to my doctor in 2 weeks for a check up and if my dose needs to be increased. I couldn't imagine starting at 37.5 mg.....I think I would jump out of my skin! The cost of the Phentermine was $16 at Costco(generic), and my doctor gave me Lexapro samples. i definately recommend going to your doctor for a prescription and having monthly blood pressure checks. my BP is 120/82. I think if you are honest with your doctor and you are committed to losing weight, I dont' see why the doctor wouldn't write you a prescription. I see a lot of people ordering Phen online, I would try the doctor approach first! They are looking out for your best interest!

Sweetums
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know if i'm stressed out or if it's the pills but has anyone else noticed the headaches? Seems like Im gettig them more often

ladyrider72472
03-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I have been off of mine for 8 days now. I had to quit them, they were taking a toll on me. Yes, I did have headaches. Most of them were when I was angry or stressed-- I assume it was from my BP going up (and normally I don't have BP problems). As for the pills..... I knew better to take them in the first place, but I needed help with starting off.

I only took 2.5 months worth of them (1/2 pill at a time). However, with that being said, I know that I would not have made it past the first couple months without them. I used them to change my eating habits and my life-- which is what they are designed for.

I would be careful with them if you are getting h/a. I do think they are a good tool to use if they are appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Badgerette
03-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I took it for a month but got headaches too, I did loose weight on it 11lbs but they came back after I started eating.

DiaDona
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I took them for a few weeks and got the headaches and dry mouth. I lost next to nothing. For me they were not worth the symptoms.

irishsarah
04-03-2009, 10:55 PM
I've been taking Phentermine for over a month now. It has been a great tool. That's it though, a tool.

I am eating smarter. I am going to the gym to work out once or twice a week and swimming with my boys once a week. (I hope to add more days to my workout schedual, but I am doing the best I can, and not quitting.)

The only side effect I have had is occasional dry mouth. That's it. As a matter of fact, I can actually focus on task BETTER now, then when I wasn't on it.

As for weight loss. I really haven't kept track. I've lost 21 pounds total, but that is since the middle of January. I've only had the pills half that time.

starfishkitty
04-11-2009, 11:13 PM
I used Adipex/Phen for the first about 2 years ago, maybe a little bit longer, and that was when I was at my heaviest of about 252. A few years before that, I'd been at my lowest (160) after a heavy diet of no eating, all partying, and a lot of cocaine use (ah, misspent youth). I've always struggled with my weight, but after quitting drugs and partying, I gained back the 50 to 60 I has lost and put an addition 35lbs on. As you can imagine, it was depressing. My whole body was in crazy revolt. So, after a few years, when a roommate of mine told me about Phen/Adipex, I figured I'd give it a try.

To be honest, the side effects of it did the exact same thing for me that coke did. Turned off my wanting to eat/binge and made my heart rate sky rocket for hours afterwards (****, I even chain smoked like I used to when I'd do coke)... made me extremely antsy, and very productive in a scatter brained way. I lost about 20lbs before going off of it 2 months later due to financial reasons.... and gained back almost all of that within a year.

Then, I tried again. Lost another 15lbs.... gained probably about 10 back.

Then, finally, about 6 months ago I figured that I'd give it one more try since I'd stopped my crazy living of those days... I eat a lot healthier (as much as possible being a broke perpetual college student), have been going to the gym at LEAST 3 days a week for about a year now, do nothing but work and take care of my health (I'm also struggling through trying to figure out other health problems of mine, such as possible hypothyroid, etc [waiting on the results right now in fact])... and I lost about 17lbs. But this time.... with the weight loss came extreme insomnia, HORRIBLE head aches, heart palpitations, anxiety, sky rocketed blood pressure (and mine's always been perfect) that couldn't go down and I can go on.

So, I quit it again... and have gained back about 9 of it. However, from the working out... I've lost inches (and am a lot healthier than I've been in a very, very long time) and have really seemed to gain much of it back, so I'm thinking I might have put on a couple of those pounds in muscle weight.

Which is good... but still sucks. I want that scale to go down. :( In all, I started at like 252 and am at 232 or so.... 20lbs (and some muscle and inches lost) in 2 1/2 years. *sigh* Not good enough. :( It just seems like no matter what I do.... I can't lose weight without doing something extreme. Working out doesn't help (and I'm doing like 70 min of good cardio at least 3 days a week, sometimes as much as 5 days a week... and weights 2 a week), eating more veggies and fruits doesn't help, ect.

Soo.... I guess the point to this is that Adipex/Phen is a quick answer to a long term problem.... and only makes things better for a little bit. Once you're off of it.... it's a dead struggle to keep it off, and no matter WHAT you do it seems that it still comes back, even if you are eating healthier. In the end.... it's more heart breaking than anything seeing those pounds crawl back onto your scale.

~*Amanda*~

calimodel1
04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
I just started taking it again today, i lost 23 lbs last year on it then got off and gained it back and then some. My starting weight today was 197 so we will see how i do! I had so much energy today I went and sped walked a mile. Im going to go early in the morning and do 2 miles. I ate good today. Not much really. But good!

thistoo
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I haven't posted here in awhile, though I've thought about it plenty. I started taking Phen at the end of February, and since then I've lost about ten pounds. I had a heck of a time getting my doctor's office to write me a new prescription this time, though -- not because they didn't want me taking it anymore, but because their system is such a mess and no one ever calls you back -- so I've been off it seven days now. What I've noticed is that I can still lose weight at the same rate as I can when I'm taking Phen, but I have to be a lot more careful about my diet.

So that's what I'm trying to do now. I'll go pick up my prescription tomorrow (finally), but I don't know that I'll get it filled right away. At this point I'm sort of curious to see if I can lose five pounds in a month without it. It is a great tool, and it jump-started my weight loss again after six months in a plateau, but if I can do it without taking a pill, I'd rather spend the money on something else, you know?

CJZee
05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I took phentermine some years ago. It really killed my appetite BUT I could not continue to use it because the constipation was unbearable. I have never experienced anything like it before or since.

thistoo
05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
It doesn't kill my appetite at all! Well, it did for the first week. I was hoping it would, but nope, still hungry at night. I kept taking it for the metabolism boost, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

cheecheen
05-08-2009, 01:37 AM
I just started taking it as well, a week or so... I looked it up online and the only thing I saw bad was that it's addictive. I'm not so sure if it's really working on me because I don't feel and burst of energy. However, I'm not hungry all the time but when I do get hungry, I still eat alot, so I'm not sure, will get back to you in a couple more weeks

vettelvr
06-03-2009, 06:58 AM
For all of you who say you gained all the weight you lost plus more, did you go back to your old eating habits? This is not only an appetite suppressant but you need to teach yourself healthy eating habits so that you can keep the weight off.

ddc
06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I haven't personally taken phentermine because I have an elevated heart rate anyway and I don't want to elevate it even more. Plus at my work we are subject to random drug screens, so I don't want to jeopordize my job.

Anyway, my best friend took phen about three years ago and lost 30 lbs in a couple of months. She was telling me the whole time that she was making a lifestyle change and that she felt she just needed this to get a jump start and that she knew that this would work. She has since gained all the weight back plus some. She told me that when she was taking it, she would eat maybe a yogurt for breakfast, a bowl of cereal for lunch, and a piece of fish or chicken for supper. She was not hungry at all and I would say she was probably not eating 1000 cals per day. We all know that that is not sustainable-right? So, when you go off the phen and your appetite returns, you're naturally going to eat more. That's why I feel that the phen will not work in the long run *for most people*---because we will go back to eating normally and inevitably, the weight will come back.

vettelvr
06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I try to eat at least 1200 calories a day so that when i go off of the phentermine i will be accustom to eating healthy and consuming an adequate number of calories. It should not be about starving yourself but about becoming healthy so that you will be motivated to keep the weight off. This not only goes for phentermine but with any way that one loses weight. Its a lifestyle change.;)

HungryHungryHippo
06-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I took it for many years, first with fenfleuramine, then with Wellbutrin, and it worked while I took it. It was my intention to take it forever, like a diabetic takes insulin, because it put me in control so that I could make healthy choices. Alas, I switched from getting it by prescription to ordering it over the internet, until the FDA cracked down, and I could tell I was no longer getting the real thing. I could go back to the doctor who prescribed it, but now that I have insurance, he'd have me coming in every week, and I'm just not up for that. As expected, I did regain the weight, about a pound a week, since I went off it. It's been a few years, and now I'm trying to take the weight off--and keep if off--by white-knuckling it. We'll see how it goes. Still, I'm grateful for the many years of my adult life I spent NOT overweight, thanks to phentermine.

I should mention, though, the part about dry mouth is true, and I think it messed up my teeth. I read something about "meth mouth," where the enamel wears off an addict's teeth because they aren't protected by saliva, and I believe that's what happened to me. I ended up getting the damaged ones bonded. Also, each day as the phentermine kicked in, my cheeks and nose would get flushed, and I ended up with broken blood vessels in my nose. They have gone away over time.

Stella
06-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I know a few people who took it and their stories are similar to yours: they had a fantastic success: They lost lots of weight, fast and effortlessly,because they just were not hungry and were really motivated to work out.

COming off however was difficult - their appetite returned with a vengeance, and so did the weight. All but one friend have regained everything.

I was really tempted to take it, too, but that aspect put me off. I know I have no discipline, and when I`m hungry I just eat. I`d rather remain as I am or lose it slowly than getting all the attention for losing and regaining everything. TO me, this would be more embarrassing than staying large in the first place. It sounds tempting, though. If I knew I had the diszipline not to give in when I come off it, I would not think twice about taking it!

auer~j
07-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I just started taking it. I'm sure it's like ANY diet. They all work if you work them, it's up to you. I can see how easy it would be to just stop eating on these, then go off of them and go back to your old eating habits. They make you not hungry. I'm going to try it short term while exercising and changing my eating habits. If it doesn't work, the pill won't be to be blame I'm sure.

edited to add I'm up to 210, another 11lbs since my last signature update. I have to do SOMETHING, anything, to get me going in the right direction at least.

patchworkpenguin
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I was on the Phen for almost a year. I lost 70lbs; the only side effect I had was dry mouth and that was tolerable.

My problem was once I got off of it I gradually went back to my old lifestyle and gained about half of it back. Which is where I am now.

I wouldn't go back on it because I feel I need to learn to change my lifestyle. and remember to keep the changes.

azntenshi
08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
I've been on phentermine for the past 6 weeks and I have built a tolerance for it so it doesn't suppress my appetite as much. What are some of the ways for it to start being effective again? I would appreciate it if you can share about your experience. Thanks!

mystyblue85
08-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I've been on phentermine for exactly 5 days...that along with some other supplements and an injection of b12, and I have lost 11 lbs. The phentermine has totally murdered my formerly HUGE appetite and I have learned to control my once out-of-control eating...
I would only recommend it to those who are willing to undergo a physical as it has some serious side effects for those with depression/high blood pressure/or heart disease...
i have experienced no side effects so far...
hope this helped...

Stella
08-23-2009, 03:14 AM
I've been on phentermine for exactly 5 days...that along with some other supplements and an injection of b12, and I have lost 11 lbs.

Wow!! That`s amazing!

May I ask what the supplements are and what the B12 was for?

Stella

nelie
08-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Wow!! That`s amazing!

May I ask what the supplements are and what the B12 was for?

Stella

B12 is a vitamin which is found in the soil and in the bodies of animals. It doesn't help with weight loss but if you are deficient, it can have an effect on your mood. If your doctor tests you and finds you are deficient, he/she may prescribe shots although generally doctors will recommend multivitamins, b12 vitamins and lastly b12 sublingual tabs. I personally take multivitamins and eat nutritional yeast to get b12. I will also eat some sea veggies with b12 in them.

Unfortunately, a lot of scammy weight loss doctors have popped up recently and for some reason they have picked b12 shots to use to make their methods sound more scientific. B12 shots are safe but unnecessary for most of the population. I would personally recommend avoiding any doctor that automatically prescribes b12 shots.

mystyblue85
08-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Nelie hit it right on the nose...the supplements are your basic vitamins (i never used to take them) and the b12 is for deficiency...

katiejames
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I have been on phentermine since the beginning of July. I have to date lost about 25 pounds. The only part that i do attribute to the phentermine is the energy it gives me. ( i only wish there was something natural that i could take long term to help because i have liver disease and it wipes me out) I also canceled my membership at one gym and joined another :) ( to work out with my friends) i also started running on the treadmill....and i have never ran before in my life! but now that i started, i see the addiction. i run a little and walk ( because i dont want to hurt myself or get burned out) ok, so back to the phentermine, b12 injections, and prozac...my doctor and i had chosen these 3 medications for what they do. I have no metabolism because of my liver, and how we metabolize affects our mood. Although i can only take the phentermine until november 1st ( i need to stop for at 3 months to prevent more damage to my liver) i am confident that i will be able to keep up the great work. There is no magic pill, i still have to watch my calories, and also workout for 40 mintues a day. i also started lifting weights. ( my personal trainer highly recommended it) so...combined with a workout, these 3 meds, and maintaining a healthy diet, i have been able to lose 25 pounds. i just wanted to drop my story for any who are interested. :) i will continue the b12 injections after i am off the phentermine, because it will give me the energy i have lost due to my liver.:carrot:

KaCee J
10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I have only been on phentermine for about 4 days, 1/2 tab only for now. It does help curb my appetite and I feel more energetic. If you are planning on using it, as many have posted here, it MUST be paired with a lifestyle change. I am working on healthy eating and fitness in conjunction, so when the phen quits working, I am still going. For me it is a help with losing those first pounds, as I get discouraged very easily and give up. Its not a magic pill that will make the weight disappear forever, think of it as a jumpstart and nothing more. I do get dry mouth as a side effect, which has turned out to be a great thing, lol, b/c now I have no trouble drinking water! Haven't had my first weigh in yet, so we will go from there...

Good Luck to All!

annie175
10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Not safe for preggers....

ladyrider72472
10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
You have to use it as a tool. If you do not change your eating habits or exercise habits.... it is like everything else, you will gain it right back!

doIlookfat?
10-30-2009, 12:12 AM
I lost about 40 lbs. years ago with phen and B12 shots at a weightloss clinic. It was great! It is an appetite suppressant and it worked! I didn't feel like eating, and that is huge for me!

The bad side was the feeling like my heart was going a mile a minute. I couldn't sleep (the doctor said that was very normal, but I missed my sleep!) and I always felt jittery. It really reeves up your metabolism. That is why you lose the weight so quickly. Your body thinks it's constantly running a marathon, even when you're sitting down! I felt the burn!

I stopped after about 6 months when I reached goal. The weight started to come back very quickly, because my metabolism was going back to normal. My body stopped burning and started packing on the pounds! A few months later I started taking it again. But it didn't work as well as before. It didn't suppress my appetite the same.

I would love to be able to lose weight on it again (it was so easy!), but I know I would have to take those pills forever, and I just can't do that. The main reason people pack the pounds back on after stopping is because of our metabolism. Sure willpower is not enough. Biologically, it's impossible. Your body just won't burn the calories the same because your metabolism slows down and you naturally burn less.

So, my story is not a happy ending. I'm still trying to find something that will work for me. I wish you the best.

basketsbears
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi,

My family doctor prescribed it for me this past week. I just started yesterday. I have about 80# to lose - I just could not stick with any program.

I cannot believe how on my first day I did not even think about food. I have done WW in the past and am going to just use the pills as a tool to get me started with portion control, etc. I had thought about surgery, but my BMI is not high enough for insurance to cover it. Insurance does not cover this med for me, but it only cost about $19 at Krogers. My doctor said Kroger was the best price he knew of. Also he suggested that I start with 1/2 pill for a couple of days before taking a whole pill, so I have done that. I also read when one is ready to stop the pills to be weaned off which helps not gain the weight back.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! Does anyone know what a "typical" weight loss per month should be with this pill?

KaCee J
10-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I started phentermine at a weight loss clinic about 3 weeks ago, have lost 9 lbs thus far and it helps my appetite sooo much, it is rare that I am hungry now, and I just don't have that insatiable appetite I had before. I have talked to enough people to know that if you quit it you gain the weight back, they key, I think, is using it as a tool, bottom line is you have to eat better and exercise more. For me those first couple months of making those changes are slow progress for me, I hope that by using the phentermine it will give me the encouragement to keep up the changes. I just take 1/2 tab and plan on keeping that up for 3 months and slowly wean off of it and see what happens...

basketsbears
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I have taken it for four days now. The first two days and today I took 1/2 tab, yesterday I took a full tab and just felt like I was going to jump outta my skin. I am not sure if I am going to continue these or not. I do feel though that by taking them these few days I have been able to refocus on what I need to do. I just felt like crazy yesterday.

If I keep taking them, I am just going to take 1/2 tab day.

Aclai4067
11-01-2009, 09:46 PM
My sister and a number of her friends all took it and had success. My sister's doctor was very hestitant to perscribe it to her because she was only slightly overweight. She took a half does and got a little too skinny IMO. But she's been off it for a while now, gained about 5 lbs back (looks better) and has maintained there. All of her friends have maintained their losses as well. They were all featherweights though. They are extremely active; they ran a half-marathon together in April.

I looked into taking it myself, but I can't afford to take that and do WW, and WW is more important to me. Also I've read some reviews from people saying their bodies became resistant to the drug and it stopped working. I'm pretty prone to this (slimquick worked for 2 weeks, Alli worked for a month, I always have to switch out my headache and allergy medicines) so I'm a little afraid of wasting my money.

lookingforaloss
11-04-2009, 11:03 AM
does anyone know of a clinic in omaha willing to prescribe phentermine?

JayBird
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Maybe this is what i need for a kick-start. I have 60 lbs to lose. What does one look for in a good weight loss clinic? Are there certain credentials I should be looking for? Would it be associated with a hospital? Sometimes I think I need to check myself into the Biggest Loser ranch !

KaCee J
11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I think a good weight loss clinic should be run/overseen by a physician who specializes in bariatrics. Also look for one that provides a nutrition plan and fitness plan/counselor. Make sure that along with prescribing meds and weighing you they are tracking your bodyfat %, physical measurements, and those sorts of things. Find one where you feel comfortable with the staff and that is not so busy they are rushing you in and out. Paying that money you should at least be personally seen by a Dr. or nurse practitioner and have the opportunity to discuss your progress/concerns. Don't waste your money on a weight loss clinic that is really just acting as a "prescription" clinic! Good Luck!

harrismm
11-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Its hard for me to believe that this is still being prescribed. EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON I know had gained the weight back after discontinuing it. A nurse that I worked with actually has vision loss because of taking it and another, hypertension. I truly believe that there is no magic pill. We hear that over and over. Most of the time people have to actually try the magic pill before they believe that is true.The lucky ones will figure it out before sustaining irreverseable health problems.

basketsbears
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I have tried it for a couple of weeks. I have lost 5.5#. I just don't like how it makes me feel so I am not taking it anymore as of today. I also have been worried about gaining weight back once I lost
it.

BeBlissful
11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I have been taking Phentermine for around 14 days now and have lost 15lbs the only this is what can i do to make my body not come immune to the drug. I know that my energy has decreased and i become a little hungry in the evening. Is their anytthing i can do! I have read stories of women on it for year and still working. And others say it doesnt work past a couple of months anyone else

lots2go
01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I just started it today, I have 2 friends who have taken it about 2 months each and have kept the weight off, one took it 2 years ago and hasn't gained an ounce back yet. I'm excited to see what happens. I lost about 40 a couple of years ago, with just diet and exercise, i just wanted a little kick start to get me going until its nice enough out side to get out and exercise (no gym membership and no treadmill here).....hopefully this will help

lots2go
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
who can tell me about how long it will take for these babies to kick in? (to curb my appetite?)

Jayne89
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I am currently taking duromine 40mg and have been on them for a week so far, i walk 5 days a week and have been eating alot less food now my appetite is not so huge, also have been eating alot healthier food, and i have lost 3.5kg in that one week :) so they work pretty fast, you should see a difference in your weight in atleast a week. i was on them before i had my baby but was not eating right and not exercising and i still lost about 10kg in 3months, so they should definatly work for you, probly helps with the exercise and eating right though. good luck to you all :)

Oh and you should notice a decrease in appetite on the first day that you take it :)

wantmywaistback
01-14-2010, 01:54 AM
where is everyone getting phentermine i live in columbus ohio and hve had no luck in finding dr as anyone ordered this online iam very afraid of getting scammed but iam desperate i was on this long time ago and it worked really great if any one has any leads let me know thanks

cl726or
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I am wanting to take phentermine in conjunction to my diet and exercise routine that I have. I really just need a boost and something to give me more motivation, once I see the weight start coming off then I will be more motivated to keep going.

Does anyone know if an OB/GYN could prescribe this?

tryinghardtolose
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I took phetermine almost three years ago and lost the weight instantly. Anytime I saw myself gaining I would pop the pill, however when I weened myself off of it, I gained all of my 100lbs BACK! QUICK!!!

I would suggest exercising like crazy when you stop taking it because you WILL increase your calorie intake. The drug makes you appear to be full (curving hunger pangs). I could go a day without eating on phetermine.

Not only did it make me feel like a crack head (up all night) I developed heavy bags under my eyes.

I wouldn't take it again, now I'm doing it the natural way...Extreme Fat Smash....

princesslisa88
01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
:smug:Today is my 2nd day on Phentermine. Other than feeling "cloudy" and noticable dry mouth, I feel fine!

I weigh 237 lbs and my lower back and left knee have really stopped me from exercising. I am constantly injuring one or the other. I also have issues with a "bottomless pit" around my menstrual cycle and emotional eating.

I sought the help of a weight doctor because I wanted to know what was wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried and failed miserably on different programs over the last few years.

Through filling out the doctors questionaire, i realized that there was a 10 year window of time where my weight just ballooned. During that 10 years there were 2 significant "trama" life changes that occured.

I am at fault but I am doing something about it. I dont think the weight loss will come back after the meds are stopped as long as you keep going with the new healthy lifestyle (exercise) and eating habits... the doctor has me on a 1200 cal. diet for the first month and gave me a list of the foods, recipes and a "plan" to follow along with exercising for at least 20 mins/3 times per day.

My old life got me to being at my highest weight of 248.. My new life will get me to a health weight and lifestyle.

I am getting married in May and hope to be a little thinner than I am now.

My goal is to be 150 lbs (eventually). I am hoping to be 190 by the time of the wedding. I am 5'6'' and dont have a large frame. I have been blessed with hips so even at 130 (many years ago), i still had hips... hahaha i dont think i can get rid of those....
:smug:

femmecreole
01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Used it years ago and lost a ton of weight....of course it all came back and more on top of it. Lord only knows what it did to my heart.

3 years ago, I just started eating healthy and working out...lost the weight and it's never come back. Losing weight with pills does NOT improve your health...it just kills your appetite. Balance with healthful foods and exercise is the ticket. Pills are a temporary "fix" to a lifelong problem. Why not just improve your lifestyle?

princesslisa88
01-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I went to a bariatric (sp?) doctor. The reason for going is that I have failed at everything I have done in the past. I put in the effort for many years and to have very slim to none results was upseting.

I do agree that without a healthy lifestyle, weight will come back. That is why I agree with you that popping pills to "fix" a problem is not the answer.

Many women and men take Phentermine to kick start, motivate and allow them to see that they can do it. Without the belief, we fail. Working out and eating healthy is what will ultimately make me maintain the weight loss after the pills are stopped.

If I go right back to my old habits and ways, I will gain the weight right back.

That is why I wouldn't just take the pills from any doctor or buying online. Going to a specialist (my doctor is a family MD, bariatric specialist, training in sports medicine) and seeing that specialist regularly is key.

I wouldnt have just popped pills from any doc if i wasnt being watched and seen by someone that can help me and lead me down the right path.

Butterfly10
04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Just wondering how everyone was doing? Some of you havent posted since the end of the year. I am considering taking Phen. I found a Dr. I have never taken a pill in my life except Advil. I have been battling the same 20 pounds for years and cannot loose them! I am only worried about long term effects to my organs. I am a healthy 40 year old and I want to stay that way! Thanks for any advice and any updates!!

SisuInWI
04-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I took Phen/Fen a few years back, lost some weight, and then it stopped being effective and I gained the weight back. A couple of years later, still looking for something to work to lose the weight - again - took just the phentermine, didn't work at all. So from my experience, it does work - for awhile, body gets use to it, stops working - and then you gain the weight back. I believe if you have food issues, there is no pill that is going to work until you deal with the crap in your head.

remee
04-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I took Phentermine over 6yrs ago and it worked great for me. I kept the weight off for all those years including with having a baby. Then over a year and a half ago we moved to Indiana and the weight started coming right back on like crazy.
I wanted to get the help from phentermine again and found a weight loss clinic here nearby.
I got the phentermine but ended up having some bad side effects and had to quit.
I was stumped as to why I was getting the side effects because when I took it before, I had none.

Once I got my heart back to normal, I saw my weight doctor again and he wanted me to go ahead and try another medication called Tenuate.
It's pretty similar to the phentermine but not nearly as strong.
I've been takign it for about 3 weeks now and I can say for sure that it doesn't suppress my appetite like the phentermine did and I know it won't last for as long term as phentermine does as well. But it gives me a chance to try and re-learn a better way to eat because I have to still work with my hunger.

tl0127
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I took this before also and it made me very jittery:(

Aussie_Chick
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post in this thread. I am on starting week 3 on duromine (30mg) and I have two questions so far, hoping someone here can help:

1) I was expecting a rush of energy, instead, I am really really tired. The first day I had to pull over my car and have a little nap. I am not as tired now, but I am surprised I could take the tablet and have a nice snooze on the train on the way to work.... Has anyone else had the same problem or a simialir experience?

2) Cold Sores, wow, I have totally broken out big time! The most I have ever had. I am guessing it is the Duromine, so I have started taking a multi-vitamin to balance me out. Has anyone had a simialr thing?

I will discuss these points with my doctor next week, but just wanted some insight.

Hope everyone is doing well so far, I have lost 7kg so far, so very pleased. I have eaten well and exercised everyday since starting, so I am happy with the outcome so far. I still have heaps to go, another 30kg I dare say.

remee
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi Aussie_ Chick~
I haven't heard anything about canker sores, sorry..
As for being sleepy, I've seen some ppl say they've felt the same way as you do.
I think the best thing is to call your doc and just ask over the phone if all is well with those effects you are having.

When I was trying the phentermine again, I felt tired as well.. But it was more of a worn out feeling, not so much a sleepy feeling.
I got to where I couldn't even lift my son w/o feelign like it was too much for me. That was definately scary!

Aussie_Chick
04-11-2010, 11:29 PM
wow remee, that sounds full on.. are you still taking it or did you stop?

I find that it does supress my appetite, but I still need that will power to walk away from a table of food. So last night, we have a Sunday Roast at my parents, and normally I just eat and eat and eat... I wanted too, I just didn't, so I am proud of that.. I find I still need to have will power.

I am using the duromine to get me in to a good routine, and so far I am exercising everyday and eating better, so it is going well. I have heaps to loose though...

What has your journey been like so far?

remee
04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
wow remee, that sounds full on.. are you still taking it or did you stop?

I find that it does supress my appetite, but I still need that will power to walk away from a table of food. So last night, we have a Sunday Roast at my parents, and normally I just eat and eat and eat... I wanted too, I just didn't, so I am proud of that.. I find I still need to have will power.

I am using the duromine to get me in to a good routine, and so far I am exercising everyday and eating better, so it is going well. I have heaps to loose though...

What has your journey been like so far?

Oh I'm definately not taking the phentermine anymore! Not only was I having the decreased ability to exercise, (could barely even lift my son) I was having some serious scary heart palpitations.
It took me over 7 days after quiting the phentermine, for the palpitations to stop! The weight doctor told me that I was to never in my life take it again and put down in my file that I was allergic to it. When he told me I could try another medication similiar to the phentermine, I was a little hesitant but it was my last shot. So he gave me the Tenuate and so far I've been doing really well.
Its not nearly as strong as phentermine though and is a pill that is meant for more short term.

Congrats big time on finding the will power to not keep eating such yummy food! Whats great is that the medication does help, but it's just a tool and we have to remember that sometimes. Use the tool to help us get back on the right path and we should do really well! :)

My journey is going pretty well and I'm trying to let this time to get set on a better way of eating for myself. What's hard is that with the tenuate, it doesnt suppress my appetite nearly as much as phentermine.
I feel hunger and I have to work with it. On phentermine, I felt no hunger at all.lol
I got myself in a pretty low situation with lack of motivation in exercising, so that's been a bit of a struggle for me for sure. So I'm trying to work out using exercise videos until the weather starts staying warm. I am liking the "short" exercise dvd's.lol (12min to 20min max)

Aussie_Chick
04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Duromine works differently for me, I do feel hungry too. I just don't think about food as often, I wonder if it is me or the pill.. Who knows, but I am really happy with the outcome so far.

I only do 20 minutes of cardio a day, and it seems to work great for me.

I have never heard of Tenuate.. And I am intrigued that there are weight doctors, I read in other posts that you guys have Weight Clinics where you can go and get Phen, weight loss shots and all sorts of stuff... We have nothing like that here....

nelie
04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I have never heard of Tenuate.. And I am intrigued that there are weight doctors, I read in other posts that you guys have Weight Clinics where you can go and get Phen, weight loss shots and all sorts of stuff... We have nothing like that here....

Many of the weight loss clinics here are basically scams. Regular doctors can prescribe phen here although less reputable doctors tend to go where the $$$ and that is in exploiting those who want to lose weight.

abreezies
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine took phentermine for approx 3yrs, lost a LOT of wt and kept it off. In her 30's starting having heart palpitations, one day her heart went tachy (beating too fast) and wouldn't stop, went to the ER, got the tachy stopped, stayed over night for observation, doc told her she had to go off of it.......she gained wt back right away, but still smaller than she used to be, only now has a history of tachycardia. 2 other friend in their 20's both used phentermine and lost a LOT of wt in a min amt of time. When they both quit taking it, they gained back all the wt and 20+ more lbs.....they both swear it was bc when they were on the med, they had more energy and no appetite- but neither one ate healhy nor did they start/continue a workout regiment. I personally do not have experience with the drug.

Aussie_Chick
04-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the updates on expereinces you know of. I have continued to loose about 0.4kg a day.

Again, I am eating well and exercising, and feel that the phentermine is probably making me not hungry, more than anything else....

I am really worried I am going to put it back on, so my focus is to live everyday eating 6 small meals a day and exercising each day. I have done this everyday for 3 weeks now, and will continue for the full three months.

Then I am going to stop taking it and see what happens...... I worry I will get heart problems, but if I don't loose the weight I am going to get heart problems and a heap of other things, so at the moment I am still not jittery and have no problems sleeping... I am going to see my doctor maybe tomorrow to ask about that, I feel more tired on this.

I have nearly hit the 10kg mark lost, I might hit it this week, which would make it 10kg in 3 weeks....

I really want to speak to others taking it at the moment..

remee
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Aussie_chick, it looks like you are doing really well! BIG Congrats on the near 10 kg loss! THat is in just 3 weeks? So if I got that right in my conversion, it's just about 22 pounds! WOW!

The worry about putting the weight back on is normal and I will say that if we don't make use of the tool we've got now, it's totally possible to gain some back afterward. So it's really good that you are working daily on how you are eating and exercising. It shouldn't take too long to make it a life long habit and a healthy habit that will help keep the weight off! :carrot:

I'd like to keep this up with you if it's okay. I know I'm taking something different, but it is still the same thing in a way. It's just not as strong.
There are days when I wish I could have handled the phentermine because it can be hard actually having to work through the hunger I still feel with the tenuate. I worry if I'm eating too much still but I am changing all that I eat, so hopefully all that I'm doing will keep working for me.
For me at my 4 week mark, I've lost 12 pounds according to my weight doctor. Not bad I think!:D

I'll be taking the Tenuate for one more month and then I'm off of it.
I'll tell you from experience that it will be a little worriesome when you stop your med. But if we keep up all that we are learning, then we should do pretty well. Especially with support!

Congrats again on doing so well!! I'm thrilled for you!

Thanks for the updates on expereinces you know of. I have continued to loose about 0.4kg a day.

Again, I am eating well and exercising, and feel that the phentermine is probably making me not hungry, more than anything else....

I am really worried I am going to put it back on, so my focus is to live everyday eating 6 small meals a day and exercising each day. I have done this everyday for 3 weeks now, and will continue for the full three months.

Then I am going to stop taking it and see what happens...... I worry I will get heart problems, but if I don't loose the weight I am going to get heart problems and a heap of other things, so at the moment I am still not jittery and have no problems sleeping... I am going to see my doctor maybe tomorrow to ask about that, I feel more tired on this.

I have nearly hit the 10kg mark lost, I might hit it this week, which would make it 10kg in 3 weeks....

I really want to speak to others taking it at the moment..

Aussie_Chick
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks Remee, and 12 pounds is awesome!!! You are so close to your goal weight!!! I have a long journey ahead of me, and it is quite overwhelming at times... I am 132kg, so something like 270 pounds.. Man, when it is in pounds it seems even worse... My ideal weight is in the 70kg mark, but I am aiming for 85kg. When I lost weight the first time, I dipped in to the 70kg and people said I looked a little gaunt... But I happily sat at 85kg mark for many years, so that is the goal!

40kg to loose seems so overwhelming, but I just think I am going to look at it in 10kg blocks... I can't wait to hit the 120kg mark, which should be next week, at the rate I am going.

A girl at work said her friend lost 40kgs on phentermine in 3 months, and kept it off... So there is my motivation. I don't think I will hit the 40kg mark in 3 months, but 20 and I would be ecstatic!

I played netball last night (not sure if guys have that sport in the US) and trying to pick up an extra game for that extra exercise... And my skirt wasn't as tight, which was heaven.... My netball skirt was getting so tight, my fat jeans were getting to tight, so I knew I had to do something...

Do you have kids or anything Remee? I have 2, a 5 yo girl (soon to turn 5) and a soon to turn 2 year old boy, and I work full time, so it is bit of a mad house around here.... Speak soon... Hope you had a good 24 hours eating and exercise wise...!

remee
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks Aussi_Chick! I have a big feeling the last bits of my weightloss are going to be super hard.. Right now it's hard to even see it being possible. I have hope though!:)

I really think you'll be hitting your goal and holding onto it, I'm very excited to see it happen and I think taking it in the 10 kg blocks is a great idea.

We don't play "netball" here but I would guess it's very similar to our basketball. It really gets you moving big time!:carrot: It's wonderful you are getting in some good activity! Getting in good activity has always been a downfall of mine. I tend to get times (more often than not.lol) where I lack motivation to do much. I really need to change that! When we lived in Hawaii, I was always walking. I miss that so much! Right now we're living in Indiana and have a little over a year left here before we move again.
My hubby is in the United States Marine Corps. I don't know where we'll end up next time but I know we miss Hawaii. He said Japan is a big probability but I hope not because I can't see me going to school there for nursing.

I do have kids too!:) I've got three.. My oldest girl is 15yrs old, my second girl is 13yrs and then I've got my little boy who is 4yrs old. I stay at home with my son and eventually will be able to get to school myself when he starts.

I've been thinking and I think I'm going to use your activity as my motivation..
I think it's good that you've heard good info about keeping the weight off after phentermine and that you are going to use that as motivation. It's definately possible! I kept my weight off for over 6yrs after taking phentermine and that's including after having my son. What did me in was moving here to Indiana.lol

Thanks Remee, and 12 pounds is awesome!!! You are so close to your goal weight!!! I have a long journey ahead of me, and it is quite overwhelming at times... I am 132kg, so something like 270 pounds.. Man, when it is in pounds it seems even worse... My ideal weight is in the 70kg mark, but I am aiming for 85kg. When I lost weight the first time, I dipped in to the 70kg and people said I looked a little gaunt... But I happily sat at 85kg mark for many years, so that is the goal!

40kg to loose seems so overwhelming, but I just think I am going to look at it in 10kg blocks... I can't wait to hit the 120kg mark, which should be next week, at the rate I am going.

A girl at work said her friend lost 40kgs on phentermine in 3 months, and kept it off... So there is my motivation. I don't think I will hit the 40kg mark in 3 months, but 20 and I would be ecstatic!

I played netball last night (not sure if guys have that sport in the US) and trying to pick up an extra game for that extra exercise... And my skirt wasn't as tight, which was heaven.... My netball skirt was getting so tight, my fat jeans were getting to tight, so I knew I had to do something...

Do you have kids or anything Remee? I have 2, a 5 yo girl (soon to turn 5) and a soon to turn 2 year old boy, and I work full time, so it is bit of a mad house around here.... Speak soon... Hope you had a good 24 hours eating and exercise wise...!

Eumie
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi guys! I'd like to join, as I've been on Phen for 11 days now. It took a LOT for me to go to the doctor for it, because I've always been a "no magic pill" girl. But my issue was truly being hungry all day long. I'd have to fight every day to not eat my weight in all the healthy foods I was eating. My cravings were hard to ignore, so I would either give in or take a nap. I was yo-yoing between 237 and 217 for months.

The thing is, I've lost more than 50 lbs. in the last four years. I know how to do this. I think I've just gotten older, and my body has changed, and all the years of bad dieting has caught up with me. Since I've been on the Phen, I feel like a normal person. I eat scheduled meals. I don't feel hungry in between. I get cravings, but I can ignore them and move on with my life. I exercise every day.

I've read some of the posts on here basically implying that those who take it think it's the solution to their weight loss woes. For me, it's not a pill that makes me lose weight. It's just helping me gain some control until my stomach shrinks and I can handle it on my own.

I'm going to take it for 2 months and then take a month to wean off of it. As someone else in this thread said, it's a tool, not a cure.

Oh, and in my first week I lost 8.5 lbs: 5 lbs. fat, 1 lb. muscle, and 2.5 lbs. water. I'm being monitored by a doctor, and have had very few side effects.

Aussie_Chick
04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi Eumie, welcome to the thread.. Remee and I have kind of just joined it ourselves, so the more the merrier...

I agree with your apporach, and I too was a no pill girl... but I also thought about food all day long... So, it is good to not worry about it... I am about a week in front of you. My plan is to go the three months, and then stop.. I am hoping by then I have lost 30 kgs, it is a lot, but I think I can do it...

I have exercised every day and have 6 small meals too, which will help with the metabolism... It is the best thing for me! Glad I did it..

Remee* With you husband in the marine corp are you home most of the time by yourself? I could move to another state, but i couldn't live in China. It would be nice for a holiday, but not to live... just not my thing... Are your family in hawaii or somewhere else? I would love to go to hawaii! There is no where to walk here, but we have nice paths, just nothing scenic, in my suburb anyway.

I used to play basketball as a kid, and would love to play again, but most girls play netball once they get a bit older, being late 20's up... It is 7 to a team, and the goal ring is like basketball, but no backboard, and only 2 people in the team can shot goals. Oh, and there is no bouncing the ball, so it is fast paced like basketball, but you have to throw catch and shoot...

I started playing again many years ago, I called it my life sport... That no matter what happened during the week, or what my social life was doing, I always played netball everyweek, sometimes twice a week. You should try to get in to a team activity, hence my question about your husband being home... I can leave the kids with mine whilst I go play. Makes it easier to have that support...

Today I had McDonalds for lunch :-( Although, normally I would get a large meal and another burger, but today I got a medium meal, a lower fat burger and didn't really eat the chips... And I surprisingly became full quickly.. Interesting...

And another exciting development, I found out my health fund covers $40 of my duromine... Yeah, that means I will only be $60 out of pocket... I pay $100 for a month supply, which is about $110 US at the moment...

Eumie** I see in your ticker you are trying for a baby? Good motivation!

Aussie_Chick
04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey Girls, sorry for the long post.. Had a good weekend, and now we are going for lunch to wish my boss farewell.. PLEASE GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO NOT EAT BADLY.

Wish me luck..! How are you all going?

remee
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Eumie!:wave: I too have had a problem of being hungry all the time. I was to the point of my mind constantly being on food. I don't want to live like that anymore and really need to figure out a way to end that.
Congrats on your 8.5lb loss! That's awesome!

Aussie_Chick~ Lots of luck at the lunch with your boss! Stay strong.;)

Yes, with my hubby in the Corps, there are many times he's gone. I've always been single parenting it even though I'm married.
I think our marriage was built on him being gone most of the time.lol In the beginning of our marriage, he was gone having to do back to back tours in Iraq for the war. When we were in Hawaii, he was gone on the big island of Hawaii for several post ops and even spent some time for classes back on the mainland of the U.S. and then also got to spend some time in Australia.
We got use to there just being times that he's gone. Right now he's doing recruiting duty and it means he's home more often. I think it's been harder on myself and the kids getting use to him being home more often than when he was always gone.lol

We've got a little over a year left though in Indiana while he's on recruiting duty here. We have no family close by, it's going on five years since we've lived any where close to any family. Our family has always been other military families and friends. But now that he was sent onto recruiting duty, we're away from even them and it's definately an adjustment. Especially because I've had the hardest time with finding new friends here in the "civilian world".
So basically I do things on my own with the kids. Whatever I do, I've got atleast one or two kids with me at all times. I wouldn't mind doing something fun on my own, although I've also had a hard time finding much to do here.
When we lived in Hawaii, I was walking everywhere, there was more to do and the beach was our backyard. I was definately more active there!

Your netball sounds like a lot of fun! I was never good at basketball so I never really played. I always did like tennis though.

Oh, congrats on finding out that your health fund covers part of your meds!! My health doesn't cover any weight related costs, so I've been paying for everything out of pocket. My first doc appt. was the most expensive, topping out around 300.00 US dollars. Now, I pay about 115.00 a month for my appts and meds. It'll be good to not have to pay anymore so hopefully this is it.
I admit I'm a bit nervous that my weight loss is on a plateau. So I'm more at the point of caving lately. I hate when I do that to myself. I need to stay strong some how.

Aussie_Chick
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I totally get the whole marriage based on him not being there, it makes absolute sense.. I have seen on TV how a lot of the military familys stick together and support each other. I don't think I could cope being so removed from everyone, and that support network.

Maybe you should look at getting in tennis, you will meet lots of people, maybe you could do it whilst your little man is in child care or kinder?

I did ok at the lunch yesterday.. I arranged with a girlfriend at work to go halves in a pizza (we went to a pizza place) and share a salad. I was really proud of myself, I didn't eat all the pizza.. Normally I would eat one to myself.

I guess it is about baby steps. I find I go off the wagon a bit when I start to pletau. Hang in there, making the right choices will get you going again, and maybe a shake up like tennis or something might get you going again?

I weigh myself everyday, and I know I shouldn't but I do. It helps keep me honest during the day. On the weekend, the scales had a 1kg gain, but not discouraged, this morning there was nearly a 1kg loss, so hopefully I am trending down. I really want to loose 2kg this week, to get me to the 10kg mark in a month.

Did I mention my sister is starting the duromine, I can't wait for her to start as well. This week she is going to the doctors and will take her first one on Saturday morning. I will let you know how she goes.

Well, it is 8:53 am here.. I have been up since 5am, exercised, had some crappy bran for breakfast and have packed nutrious foods for the day... So should be a good food and exercise day today...

Hope you guys are going well... Just thinking do you guys have a favourtie motivational or weight loss quote or mantra??? My favourite is "Failing to plan is planning to fail". I live by this.... What about you guys?

remee
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi~ It's been a crazy busy few days so I thought I'd check in to see how it's going!
So far I've been doing really well with my diet. Exercise has been on the back burner unfortunately so I need to pick that up.
We're expecting rain for the next 4 days or so, so it looks like a weekend of board games with the fam. :)

remee
04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh, I don't really have a weightloss quote or anything but I do always think that if we fall off the wagon one day, the next day is there and ready for a fresh start.

Aussie_Chick
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
That is so true, with the next day a fresh start...

I have been pretty busy with work and home lately, so haven't had a chance to catch up. I am still doing well, I should hit another milestone this week. I jumped on the scales and I was 120.6kg, so another .6kg and I will be under the 120kg mark... very excited! I can't wait to break out of the 120's...!

I have been good eating wise and had an interesting test on the weekend. I had to get money out, and the only place close by (walking distance on a cold wet night) was McDonalds. I went in there, and had to buy something. I bought a small diet coke and got my cash and left... Very happy! There is no way I would have been able to do that 1 month ago.

I told my mum I was on Duromine last night, and she says things like "that is toxins for your body" "I am against any type of medication" "Anything that messes with your body" "I never thought you would take that, you know it is lifestyle" blah blah blah, all the while she is sitting there drink wine, and I am thinking, well I don't drink alchohol or coffee, I don't smoke etc... How could her alcohol be that different from my Duromine? Don't get me wrong, love my mum, she is the best! And we have a say what mean and mean what you say type policy, so when she is on my case I get annoyed.

Still exercising well, and eating well. My sister started taking the tablets on the weekend, and surprise surprise she is the same as me... Tired on them. Weird! She is on 15mg though...

remee
04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
OMGosh, I'm so excited for you!! You're doing great! And wow, going into Mc. D's and not coming out with food is awesome! I find that I go through fast food drive thru's more often than I'd like because of my kids and being out when they need to eat something. It can be hard some days not caving.

You know, I guess we as people, just choose in our minds what is "toxic" and not.. We're all different and unique and sometimes it can make it hard to get the support we'd like but whatever we do, we can't let that make us stumble. If we use this TOOL the right way, it's temporary. If we use this TOOL the right way, we can become healthy! We just need to keep on and remember to use our tools in a way to keep us on the right path when we don't need them anymore.
The cool thing though is that you have your sister and you two can support eachother in a very positive way. That's wonderful! Tell your sister I wish her lots of luck on her journey!:)

FatChiconaMission
05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi ladies...I'm on day 2 of the phentremine...I am feeling great. No snacking. When I'm hungry I eat a meal and that's that. Not to mention my meals are much smaller.

I'm hoping to be down 10 lbs by June 12th if not more.

I told my doctor that this was mearly a kick start in the right direction...

Hope to be back to post GOOD results...

Aussie_Chick
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi All,
It has been ages since I last wrote in... It has been super crazy at work..! I hope everyone is still here...

So, my sister is doing well, although not having the results that I am. My results have slowed down a little, but I am still thrilled. It has been 6 weeks-ish and I have lost 15kgs. I exercise every day and have been eating well, so really pleased with my focus and commitment.

I was hoping to get to 100kg by the end of the course of duromine, but I think that might be a bit of a stretch, but that is fine, I will defintley get in to the 100's kgs as I am 116 right now. I am going to up the exercise to try and get some big numbers, and I am starting to worry now about coming off the pills... I wonder if I will have any sideaffects, considering I have had none on them.

Hope everyone is going well and wondering how you are tracking! Fatchiconamission... How are you going?

aphimira
05-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Howdy,

I've been on Phentermine since November. I don't get all warm like I used to. But I definitely feel like it's made an impact. Even on the weeks when I don't take it. I don't eat as much. i feel as though my stomach has "shrank" I think I'm more in touch with full and when I'm thirsty. I've lost 70 lbs and made some huge life style changes. It's really helped me focus on what is good food. Of course I made those choices initially and had to learn to just say no, but now it makes those decisions easier even when I'm on an off week.

Good Luck!

Aussie_Chick
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow, 70 lbs is amazing!!! I am a few kg's off 20kgs, so I am really focused on getting there.

I am nervous about my off time, I have one more month to go and then I have to stop for a month.

Did you have any withdraw symptoms as such when you stopped taking it?

FatChiconaMission
05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
After one week I'm down 5 lbs and am really proud of myself...I eat breakfast (high fiber oatmeal), lunch and dinner...no snacking. And when I eat stuff that isn't so good for me I can't eat as much...I'm looking forward to seeing what week 2 has to offer. Gonna start my walking tomorrow...hoping that makes a difference.

Keep up the good work!!

Aussie_Chick
05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
well done! I had great results in my first month. 10kg, which is about 20lbs I think... So well done! Exercise for me is the key. My sister isn't loosing that much, she is on only the 15mg and doesn't exercise, so I think that is her problem... I really want to hit some big losses this week!

I am going to the Doctors Friday to get my 3rd month presecription, can't wait to weigh in.

Aussie_Chick
05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Weighed in with my doctor last week, and lost another 10kg in the month, although my scales say I am still 1.2kg off...

Still exercising everyday and starting to notice a change in my body shape... I can taste the 100kg mark... I really can, I have decided when I get there I am going to buy myself a little pandora bead for my bracelet, one that is a buddah, to celebrate my non-buddah-ness....

I am probably 2 weeks from not wearing my favourite jeans anymore, and in to the next size down I have at home... Very happy!

When I weighed in, I had low blood pressure, has anyone else had this?

remee
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi~
Aussie Chick, big congrats to you!! I'm so happy to see you coming closer and closer to your goal!

I had my last visit with my weight doctor almost a couple weeks ago and so far I'm doing well. I've lost a bit of weight and am still going. :)
Since I've changed my whole diet, I feel comfortable with days when I want to eat more than usual and I can see me reaching my weightloss goal as well.

I'm still battling with lack of exercise and now that I've been losing weight, I can see I need to get it going more now than ever.lol
I tend to like to take my weight battles one at a time though. I focused on the new diet and gave that time to sink in and my next battle will be adding in exercise. I hope it goes well!

Butterfly10
06-24-2010, 10:33 PM
How is everyone doing? I am going to the Dr next week to talk about getting on Phentermine. I noticed a lot of the posters havent posted in awhile.

robynlmac
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Butterfly,

Good luck. I started today at the Dr.

Robyn

BellaBrown
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Just peeking in ladies, I began Phentermine today!

Butterfly10
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Good luck! I go to the Dr on July 7th for blood work and an EKG to make sure I can do it!!

BellaBrown
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Good luck to you as well Butterfly10!

JessLess
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
This is my third time on Phentermine. The first time was in 1994 and I took it at a weight loss clinic that had a doctor on staff. More than the pill itself, going in to get weighed every week really helped me go from 190 to 150lbs. This makes me think I need to join WW. The dry mouth just makes me drink more water, which I consider key to my weight loss.

Then I married my husband, moved, stopped working out and stopped watching what I ate. No surprise I gained a ton of weight, but I don’t blame the pill at all, it was my diet (or lack there of) and sedentary lifestyle. I tried taking the pill again, this time from my doctor, and also tried Meridia, but neither worked because I was eating too much and not getting enough exercise.

I started working out with a trainer last September and have been working out 2x a week from Sept. 2009- April 5, 2010 without losing 1 pound. I was not getting enough cardio, not working out enough, not drinking enough water, and most importantly, not sufficiently cutting portion sizes and calorie/carbs/fat intake.

So I went to my doctor and we tested me for hypothyroid and other things that could be keeping me from losing weight. When we determined that my lack of weight loss did not have a medical cause, he prescribed me IC Phentermine 30 mg tablets at my request. He also wrote a note to my insurance company and they are paying for it. If I had to pay cash it would be $31/month.

I would recommend starting it over a weekend. I was up all night the first night as if I was on speed. I’m also itchy, another thing I associate with speed. However, I feel great. I have tons of energy and people keep telling me how happy I look.

I know when I go of it, unless I maintain the exact same lifestyle as I did on it, the pounds will come back with a bonus, but I am going to do my best not to let that happen.

I was considering WLS, and for me, this is a much less radical option to kick-start my journey to Onederland.

Butterfly10
07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Jess, Good luck! You can do it!! Please keep us updated!

Butterfly10
07-04-2010, 05:10 PM
testing this ticker thingy...

JessLess
07-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Jess, Good luck! You can do it!! Please keep us updated!

Thanks, I will!

MissLeeLee
07-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Is there anyone out there on Phen at the moment? I just started last Tuesday.

Harsdottir
07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
It works. It makes you less hungry, but if you are like me and you are an emotional eater, well it won't work too well because you are eating for pleasure/calming, rather than hunger.

I lost 10 pounds on it, however, when you are off of it,

YOU. MUST. BE. EXTEREMLY. CAREFUL. to watch your intake, since your hunger will come back with a vengance and the pounds will creep on.

woodgal1
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
WOW Har you have done very well. Have you been low carbing also?
I have been on Phen since June 9th. Doctor said i should eat 1700 calories a day and one whole Phen made it impossible to eat that much. So I started taking half a day. I take the 37.5 football shaped tablets that can be broken. If you take the time release capsules DO NOT break them.

I was still having a hard time eating 1700 calories of healthy food a day and my weight would go up and down every day. Lose 1 pound go up 2.
Lose 2 pounds gain one back.
So I started low carbing a week ago and have lost 3 pounds this past week without the fluctuation.

I also started taking my half at about 11;00 am.
if I take it too early I find myself too hungry later at night. And that is my danger zone.
I've never been a big eater when I wake up so I do not need it early in the morning.
I love low carbing, I feel more awake and natural energy. The phen does not give me a speed feeling. Just helps me be calm about my food and I do not think about food all the time like before.
I lost 5 pounds right before I went on it as I had a ton of work to do in the yard and my greenhouse which about totally wore me out.
Then got on the Phen and lost 11 pounds this past month.

The biggest wonderful thing about the Phen for me is that it gave me a boost when I needed it in the exercise department. I finally am using the treadmill we have had for a year.

Luck and hugs to everyone here.

Krazy
07-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone, I recently asked by doctor if he could give me a prescription for phentermine, but he said I should be able to lose weight with diet and exercise.

I was just wondering do you have to be a certain weight to get a prescription for phentermine? If I find a different doctor, will they give me a prescription? Sometimes my appetite is just out of control and it would make dieting a lot easier if I had something to suppress it.

jamieheld
07-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I too have been taking phentermine (prescribed by my doctor) for a few months. I am doing well on it. The side affects went away after a few weeks. I have lost around 22 lbs while oh it and have changed my way of eating (way less and more vegetables).

Krazy, my doctor will only prescribe it if you are in the obese category. HTH :)

Harsdottir
07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
WOW Har you have done very well. Have you been low carbing also?
I have been on Phen since June 9th. Doctor said i should eat 1700 calories a day and one whole Phen made it impossible to eat that much. So I started taking half a day. I take the 37.5 football shaped tablets that can be broken. If you take the time release capsules DO NOT break them.

I was still having a hard time eating 1700 calories of healthy food a day and my weight would go up and down every day. Lose 1 pound go up 2.
Lose 2 pounds gain one back.
So I started low carbing a week ago and have lost 3 pounds this past week without the fluctuation.

I also started taking my half at about 11;00 am.
if I take it too early I find myself too hungry later at night. And that is my danger zone.
I've never been a big eater when I wake up so I do not need it early in the morning.
I love low carbing, I feel more awake and natural energy. The phen does not give me a speed feeling. Just helps me be calm about my food and I do not think about food all the time like before.
I lost 5 pounds right before I went on it as I had a ton of work to do in the yard and my greenhouse which about totally wore me out.
Then got on the Phen and lost 11 pounds this past month.

The biggest wonderful thing about the Phen for me is that it gave me a boost when I needed it in the exercise department. I finally am using the treadmill we have had for a year.

Luck and hugs to everyone here.

Hi Woodgal:hug:

Thanks for the support. You must eat or your metabolism will die. Its so easy to just think that eating less or nothing at all is the solution. It will just serve to slow down you rmetabolism and make it harder to lose weight.

I actually do NOT really carb count as much as I calorie count.

JessLess
07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
After 10 days on Phentermine I couldn't eat enough to keep losing and hit a plateau, so now I am just taking it on some days. I don't know how or if that will work.

JessLess
08-10-2010, 08:23 AM
So, now that almost a month has gone by, my only bad side effects are dry mouth and trouble sleeping. I take Phentermine on weekdays and drink water all day, and take the weekends off from Phentermine so I can sleep. This seems to be working pretty well. I make myself eat small, healthy meals during the day whether I'm hungry or not.

roxxie rocket
08-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I've taken phentermine twice -- it made me have tons of energy -- my house was VERY clean and my appetite was very small, BUT when I stopped taking the pills all of the weight (and then some) came back. I would not take this again based on that fact.

Mommysince21505
08-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I am on phentermine, started it August 10th, 2010. I have hypothyroidism and since I was having trouble losing weight, he put me on this. Sometimes I have problems sleeping. However, I don't wake up sluggish, I wake up feeling great. I also have headaches sometimes, but I've noticed that it is when I need to eat. Good luck!

musicalme223
08-17-2010, 01:26 AM
After reading all 17 pages of this thread, I think im going to talk to my doctor about this.

jaimie39
08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Hubby and I both were prescribed Phentermine and started taking them on July 13th. We are both losing weight succesfully! Joined the gym, eating healthy and feeling fantastic! The first week was pure **** for me...I love to sleep.Never had a sleep problem and its a running joke in my family that I can go to sleep anywhere-anytime. Ive often slept for more than 14 hours at a time. That first week I couldnt get to sleep till after midnight and Id be right back up at 4 or 5 am. I also felt like my eyes were always in a wide open-eyebrows up-like Im shock position! All this went away within the first week and its been smooth sailing ever since. Ive lost over 20 lbs and hubby has lost 15. Nothing else worked for me and Im thankful for the pills. Im getting into clothes I havent been able to wear in years. My self-esteem has just shot thru the roof and I cant remember the last time I guy looked my way...it happened this past week-end at the store...a very nice moment for me as he was wayyyy younger! I hope all this is enough to keep me motivated once Ive met my goal, to keep on keeping on. I never want to feel the way I felt at my heaviest. I couldnt stand to look at myself in the mirror-my reflection these days is looking better and better. I look forward to getting up and getting on the scale and Im super excited to check in with my doctor at my appts! Life is GOOD!

jamieheld
08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Just checking in..

I have been on phentermine for a few months now and have lost 30 lbs (total of 48) I'm feeling pretty good. The only time I feel any side effect is if I don't drink enough water my mouth gets dry.

jay12
08-19-2010, 09:22 PM
phentermine can be used as a jump start to ur weight loss but be aware that if u dont change ur eating habits and if u dont exercise u will gain back the weight and more. I have lost 82 lbs on phentermine and i feel great and look great. besides the cotton mouth and ocassional insomnia im good. the hardest part was no carbs but now i have added cereal and bread back to my diet but not to much of it still no pasta and potatoes and still no beer lol i love beer lol

NanaToni
08-19-2010, 09:32 PM
i have been on it for 1 month. i am down 17 lbs. the greatest thing it has done for me is give me energy. i am able to exercise 1 hr and 15 min a day.
i have cut my calorie intake down quite a bit, but have not given up anything i want to eat. my rule is if u want it , eat it. I just fix my plate like i was fixing it for my 4 yr old grandaughter. ps she eats like a bird....

Destiny2009
08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Girl, congrats on losing 70lbs. I took phentermine before and lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. I didn't really have any side effects, I just had to take it very early in the morning, so, I can sleep at night. All in all, it does work and I will definitely take it again because I have Hypothyroidism, which increased my appetite tremendoulsly. I have a doctor that prescribes them for me, which I feel is the best way to take them, under a doctor's care.

Destiny2009
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Hi. I also have Hypothyroidism and I am taking 125mcg of Synthroid a day. The phentermine helps me a lot with my appetite because having Hypothyroidism increased my appetite having my to go back for seconds. Eating more than my husband was a no-no for me and I felt like a fat pig. I am going to start back taking Phentermine when I go see my doctor in a couple of weeks. The only side effect I had was cotton mouth, which made me drink water and Crystal Light. I took the pill about 5 or 6am in order to fall asleep at night. Holla at me anytime, I'd love to chat with you about any weight efforts and maybe we can support each other.