LA Weight Loss - Easter Menu

View Full Version : Easter Menu

CandlePrincess
04-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Anyone having anything special for Easter dinner this weekend? I wanted to do something nice but I usually always make ham....and would be open to suggestions.

emmysmom
04-14-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm looking for a good side dish if anyone has any suggestions. I figure it would be nice to have something I can eat OP while I'm at my mom's house!

rad7775
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Heather CP:

In the recipe thread Lori posted some great menus that she found on her COD, they are like 4 recipes for easter, maybe that can give you an idea and also they are OP.;)

Cafe Ole
04-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Any suggestions would be great LOL -- I am worried! My MIL makes a HUGE dinner (ham, potatoes & gravy, veggies smothered in cheese, rolls - ugh I can have none of this... should be interesting.)

rad7775
04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
This are the titles of the menus that Lori posted you can find the recipes on page 39 of the recipe thread: (I copy/ pasted it so you can have an idea)

Originally posted by Lori (hkychik)
I picked a flyer today from the COD that had some spring recipes in it - let me know if you want me to post any of the recipes
SALADS
Spring salad
APPETIZERS
creamy potato soup
eggplant caponata
ENTREES
crown roast pork
glazed ham
leftover ham salad
crab stuffed tomatoes
SIDE DISHES
wild rice pilaf
lemon green beans
creamed spinach
DESERTS
spiced tea
bread pudding
sparkling fruited gelatin

Boo'sMom
04-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I needed this--for selfish reasons--we had decided to stay home so we could go to our own church and I was getting a little homesick, but after reading I realize it's in MY best interest to be here where I am in control of our dinner. Still don't know what it is but it will be OP, especially since I WI on Mon!! Maybe boiled shrimp.

I am a little green over the family time you guys will share--ENJOY!!

rad7775
04-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Boo:
You are not the only one that is gonna stay home:hug: , I am gonna stay home too, so don't feel "green" about it :lol: I asked DH if he wants something special for dinner that day and he told me that no b/c he is gonna be working but I am gonna surprise him!!

dolphn545
04-14-2006, 11:24 AM
We're having the traditional ham dinner. My COD stressed the hot lemon water. I will be making mashed potatos, corn & biscuits for the family, and I will probably have a salad, and maybe a baked potato.
I also picked up two holiday recipe bookets from my COD -- one is "passover" and one is similar to what was previously posted by Lori. The passover has a couple of different ideas, if anyone is interested.

hkychik
04-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Has anyone made the faux mashed potatoes out of cauliflower? I hear they are really good, and I'll bet we could make them OP very easily.

hkychik
04-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Here is the most simple faux mashed recipe I have- lots of folks add other things to it like cream cheese, or parmesan:
* 1 package frozen cauliflower
* 2 tablespoons skim milk (for low carb, use heavy cream)
* 1 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
* 1/4 teaspoon butter-flavored salt

Directions:

Cook cauliflower as package directs. Add other ingredients and blend until smooth. This makes a very low-carb, low-calorie replacement for mashed potatoes.
Lori's note: word to the wise: drain your cauliflower well, or it will make runny mashed taters!

Gamababa3
04-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I wanted to have ham, but knew if it was in the house I would keep eating it. I decided to go healthier this year.

Roasted Chicken
Balsamic roasted potatoes (In LAWL cookbook)
Steamed broccoli & cauliflower

For dessert I'm making what I seen in a magazine, but I'm using SF & FF products.

Angel food cake split to have three layers
box SF vanilla pudding
can crushed pineapple in juice
1 C FF cool whip

put pudding in pineapple w/juice and mix add cool whip. Put 1 1/2 C of mixture on bottom layer top with cake add 1 C to next layer then top with cake add rest of mixture on top of cake and then place whole strawberries around in circle on top of cake.

I figured this one can't be too bad and I will be giving most of it away.

I figured I don't want to see a gain, so if I try and eat better maybe I'll see a loss:)

Boo'sMom
04-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Barbara--let us know how the new version of the angel food turns out--should be great. I have torn that same recipe out of several magazines--looks delicious! Sounds like your dinner will be delicious & HEALTHY.

dolphn545
04-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Mmmm. Those cauliflower potatos sound good, and so does that angel food dessert! :hun:

Repo girl
04-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I personally love the cauliflower mashed spuds, and I think that they are the very best with a few tablespoons of FF cream cheese in them.

rad7775
04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I still don't know what to do about the meat, but I am gonna do the leftover ham salad from Lori's recipe, and the stuffed zucchinni from Sherry's recipe sounds good and very easy to prepare.

rad7775
04-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Barbara:
How dare you to post that picture,:lol: I almost eat the monitor of my computer when I saw it, that looks really Yummy! :drool::hun:

Repo girl
04-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Milca, down, baby, down. I know, she's got me convinced. Not that I even know what our Easter plans are yet, but I must make that cake!

rad7775
04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, girl I know, I know, need to take a cold shower! :lol:

Gamababa3
04-14-2006, 02:12 PM
How do you guys think I felt at the hair dressers and seen the pic I wanted to eat the paper:) How would you guys count it I was thinking for sure a S and F, but I'm not to sure about the pudding mix, since you aren't putting any milk in it.

Repo girl
04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I would just stick with a starch and a fruit. The pudding has a lot of sodium, but this is one of those special occasion kinds of food that you won't be eating on a regualr basis anyway.

Gamababa3
04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Depending on how much is leftover that is:) No I plan to cut large slices and have them take it home if that helps. When I made that peach cake I was more then satisfied to make that my starch daily. Do you think it would be better to us regular pudding then? I'll have to compare the boxes at the store.

rad7775
04-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Barbara and Katie:
I posted in the LAWL friends that I would count it as a starch, but seeing Katie's post is true, it could be a fruit and a starch, I haven't thought about the sodium in the pudding!

hkychik
04-14-2006, 04:07 PM
I am making

rotissiere turkey breast,
faux mashed taters,
broccoli or baby carrots,
turkey gravey,
hot rolls (these will be the hardest for me to avoid, but since I am depriving my kids of ham, I figure I ought to give them SOMETHING in return)

stiesta
04-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Has anyone made the faux mashed potatoes out of cauliflower? I hear they are really good, and I'll bet we could make them OP very easily.

I've made them before and they are really good

hollybeary
04-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Barbara - Can you post the recipe for the balsamic potatoes you mentioned? They sound like they would be yummy. I love balsamic vinegar and was looking for a potato recipe. Why not combine the 2, then? Thanks!

Gamababa3
04-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Balsamic Roasted New Potatoes

2 lbs new potatoes quartered
1 T garlic miniced
1 t fresh thyme, chopped
1 t fresh rosemary, chopped
3 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 t black pepper

Heat large cast iron skillet, coated with nonfat cooking spray, med high high flame.

Add potatoes and seasonings and heat through.

Remove skillet from heat; place in oven, uncovered, at 425F for 30 min or until potatoes are tender, stirring osccasionally.

Add vinegar, and toss well.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast uncovered for 6 more mins & serve immediately.

I couldn't find new potatoes and used red potatoes. I also used a regular frying pan and then put them in a baking stone to bake. Enjoy!

emmysmom
04-15-2006, 08:43 PM
I made the Creamed Crab and Veggie Dip from the cookbook. I figured we could take carrots, celery, and crackers to dip into it. OMG...it is sooooo good!

brittyboo07
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I made the deviled eggs for a cookout today i know there isnt really much to that but i have to say they were good. Just wondering if any of you are doing anything like making notes in your cookbook after you try one of the new reciepes?

hkychik
04-16-2006, 03:05 AM
I always mark up my cookbooks. I have notes about variations I made, tend to cross it out if it was horrible, notes about a special occasion something was made for - my great grandmother started me on it after I inherited some of her cookbooks. I was looking through them after she passed and saw that she had made a cake for my great grandfather's 80th birthday - and that it made him break out in hives! She wrote a really funny story in the margins about it. It was a great little piece of family history, and I started doing it too.

lak_55119
04-16-2006, 03:13 AM
Ladies go to the southbeach diet page and find the recipe for southbeach mashed potatoes. They are made from cauliflower and taste great. They are also op.

brittyboo07
04-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Lori that was so funny about your grandmother and i bet you treasure those notes and stories in her cookbooks. I have done things like that in a few of my cookbooks with certain stuff and i also mark through things that were just plain BAD! I think I will do even more in my LAWL cookbook since i will probably be using it A LOT!!!!

Repo girl
04-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I made Barbs angel food cake for a cook out last night. It was divine, and looked really pretty too. I took of picture of it on my cell phone and emailed it to DH.

rad7775
04-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Katie:
That cake looks so good, I am not good at baking , but it looked so tempting in the pic that I might gonna give it a try! :hun: :T

Boo'sMom
04-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Milca--I love baking but find Angel Food a little tricky sometimes. I want to try the recipe but will just use a store bought cake---I am all for easy!

brittyboo07
04-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok question for you chickies I had angel food cake with strawberries and cool whip free last night for dessert what do i count the angel food cake as just 1 starch? I had saved a starch for this purpose but i know its not in our book so any ideas?

Hope everyone is having a great Easter and a POP day!!

deetsmom
04-17-2006, 08:58 PM
I wanted to have ham, but knew if it was in the house I would keep eating it. I decided to go healthier this year.

Roasted Chicken
Balsamic roasted potatoes (In LAWL cookbook)
Steamed broccoli & cauliflower

For dessert I'm making what I seen in a magazine, but I'm using SF & FF products.

Angel food cake split to have three layers
box SF vanilla pudding
can crushed pineapple in juice
1 C FF cool whip

put pudding in pineapple w/juice and mix add cool whip. Put 1 1/2 C of mixture on bottom layer top with cake add 1 C to next layer then top with cake add rest of mixture on top of cake and then place whole strawberries around in circle on top of cake.

I figured this one can't be too bad and I will be giving most of it away.

I figured I don't want to see a gain, so if I try and eat better maybe I'll see a loss:)

That is so funny....my sister brought this to Easter...I KNEW Id seen it before, LOL!!!!:D

Boo'sMom
04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Britt--I would assume that's fine since birthday cake counts as a starch and Angel Food has to be better in a lot of ways. Angel Food is my favorite cake (I'm really a pie girl) and that one sounds sooo good. A friend always made it with a lemon sauce for my b-day--YUM.