Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/196/150

Default My Own Working Woman's Diet

I've read 3FC postings for a while and maybe I missed this, but here's what I do: On Sunday afternoons - while popping in and out of the football game(s), I make a huge salad - everything I can think of - lettuce, celery, tomatoes, radishes, squash, nuts, green beans well blanched, green and yellow peppers, parsley, etc. etc. I make enough for the next six days, plus Sunday dinner. I bag them in airtight bags - no dressing. Don't use cukes since they get mushy - I just put them in before serving. I bake three organic chickens, one seasoned with rosemary and lemon, one seasoned with cilantro and cumin, the other with sage and parsley. And I boil a dozen eggs. It takes about an hour. If I'm really into it, I make a fruit salad, too.

What this gives me is this: Always a salad for lunch - chicken or egg to toss over the salad for a protien. I have a little bottle that I fill every night with lemon/olive oil salad dressing. That with a couple of pieces of fruit get me through the day. Dinner can be nuked - add a little rice or a baked sweet potato, or baked irish the salad and you're there. In the evening I add on a couple of no sugar added fudgecicles.

You can also boil up the carcas and make chicken veg soup the next Saturday.

Sometimes when I have the munchies - I grab a bag of salad and chomp away while reading or watching TV -

I've tried this approach for six months now and my weight has gone from 215 to 180. It's slow, but I feel satisfied, it only really takes an hour a week, there is way less temptation to go out for lunch or order in dinner or hit the vending machines - for me it works.

Sometimes I make chicken chili or lentils with chili and carrots and onions, etc., but my basics are there and I can do as much or little as I want.

Anyway it seems to be working and I have two bookcase shelves filled with diet books that didn't work for long. Also I feel better and am walking a bit more. It all seems to tie together.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share.
lynnerosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #2  

Default Great idea

Hi,
Thank you so much for the great tip. I am going to try it immediately.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #3  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Planning ahead always helps. Sounds like you are losing weight at a very healthy pace.
Thanks for the tips!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #4  
No description available.

Great tips...I bet your house smells wonderful with those chickens roasting!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #5  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

This a great idea and I have also been doing something similar for the past year or so. I make a LARGE salad about twice a week (lettuce, cabbage, grated carrot and celery), then I just have to dish it up around meal time, or pile some into a container for lunch at work. I also have cauliflower, broccoli, celery, red pepper and carrot cut up separately (and all kept in water, except pepper, to keep fresh) to nibble or add to the salad. I just KNOW that I wouldn't want to make a salad up every day, so I would grab something easier, and probably not healthy. This system has worked VERY well for me and is very easy to continue. I just have to add whatever protein, carb or dressing I feel like at the time.

Hint: I use cos lettuce, as it lasts longer than some I've tried. I wash it then, dry it between two clean teatowels. This seems to keep it fresher even longer.

Happy salad making all!

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #6  
Enjoy the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedAus
....I also have cauliflower, broccoli, celery, red pepper and carrot cut up separately (and all kept in water, except pepper, to keep fresh) to nibble or add to the salad.....

Hint: I use cos lettuce, as it lasts longer than some I've tried. I wash it then, dry it between two clean teatowels. This seems to keep it fresher even longer.
Zelma
Zelma, first let me say, WAY to go on your weight loss - you look FANTASTIC.

About the veggies in water.. do you actually chop them up bite size and submerge them in water? I always thought that would make them rot? Also, after you wash and dry the lettuce, how do you store it? I have so much trouble keeping fresh veggies (and fruit for that matter) in my fridge for long, I feel like I have to buy only what I need for the week and eat it up or it will go bad, which it does. Thanks!
Brendalee is offline   Reply With Quote