Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #1  

Default Could running be making me hold onto some weight?

Ok, so may be I am just looking for an excuse....Someone talk some sense into me. 2 weeks ago I lost 2 pounds and was at 193...whoo hoo! So, after that Friday, Saturday and Sunday were complete disasters food wise. Then on that Monday I was good up until dinner, I didn't work out and I ate crappy. The rest of the week I was good on food and working out but on Thursday night (night before weigh in) I didn't work out. Anyway, as a result, I gained 2 pounds, back to 195. So the Sat after my weigh in, we are on the 8th now, I was good all day, worked out, and had a cheat meal...which I normally do. That Sunday I ate what I wanted and didn't work out....This week so far, I have been working out and doing great. But the scale on Sat. was 193.5 and now it's 195 (was 196) on Sunday. So, I know what you are thinking....it's my food that is the issue right? And normally I would say yes, but 1 day of eating crappy should not keep 2 pounds on. So, I was wondering if any of you have experienced keeping or gaining weight when you start running. I am doing the treadmill for 30 minutes a day, 10 minutes of it running. I am going to continue it either way, but I am just wondering. The weekends are so hard for me. I think once I can reign that in, I will be better, but what do you gals think?
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I dont know for sure - I know my first month I lost no weight at all. I was working out 3 days a week for 20 min mix of walking and running. The second month I changed my eating and lost 12 pounds. I am 1 week or so into the third month and for the last week I have started walking everyday for 1 hour (3.5 miles an hour) and have stopped losing.

So it could be you are not eating enough for your amount of exercise. I kinda that that is my problem.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #3  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I know for me personally my scale shows my crappy food 2 days after I eat it. Meaning my weight will go up 2 days later. Then it takes another 2 days to get that weight back off. Sometimes a little longer. So this may be what is happening for you.

BUT I've also gone into a plateau around the same time I've uped my cardio and started running (first time ever in my life). Once I stopped running and working out so hard I started losing again, but then again I was sick with the stomach flu type symptoms, so who knows if that was the reason.

Try eating healthy for a week (keep running) and no cheat meals. Just to see what happens. If you still don't lose weight then it could be that you aren't eating enough. If you lose then you'll know it was the food that was the problem.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #4  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Sorry to tell you this, but I know that MY body didn't like me to have ANY cheat food throughout most of my weight loss journey. People wouldn't believe me when I told them that I could eat REALLY well all week and show a loss up until the weekend, then have one takeaway meal on Saturday and the scales would be up again Sunday. So I wouldn't have lost any weight that week. Now that I am maintaining, because I decided to stop 'fighting' that last 10/15lbs off, I can cheat a little, but I am still not planning any takeaway meals. More because I just don't want them anymore rather than not being allowed to have them. My cheats are just a little more carbs, like a peanut butter sandwich or something like that. I have a Subway rarely, and that still lets me sit at the same weight.

So... you may not have the same problem, but I'm just letting you know what MY body was like. It was a pain, but I have always told myself that this 'isn't an option', so if I can't cheat, so be it.

Good luck!

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #5  

I was wondering a similar thing - I walk an hour a day at least 5 days a week and seem to have stopped losing and in fact have gained a couple pounds(although I swear my clothes feel better!) It's definitely not that I have been eating badly (I have been ULTRA good, maybe TOO good - I also may not be eating enough for my exercise levels but would this make you gain??? I could understand maintain). So yeah I wondered if it was the walking but since it's cardio and not weights, it didn't seem to make sense that it would add weight. However, I do usually carry a pretty heavy bag when I walk.......arrghh, I don't know!!

Not much help, but I sympathise!!
september141979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #6