LA Weight Loss - Splenda help, and what do you do with your starches!

aggie2006
04-10-2006, 06:17 AM
OK, i have a little issue, i consume like 6 splendas a day, any advice on the adverse effects on the diet...i read in many places that splenda and any aspartame containing foods halt the degredation of fat cells...that splenda actually prevents weight loss...any further insite....is 6 ok...how much do you gals consume...

second what do you use your starches for...heres mine
3/4 cut of fiber one
1 slice of bread with ff cream cheese and sf strawberry jam...yummy!

deetsmom
04-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Id certainly be interested in that...my DH swears that if I gave up my one medium diet coke from McDonalds every day that Id have no weight problem...I tried giving it up but saw no difference and I love it so much it hurt to give it up when I already have so much willpower on other things:) Lately my starches have been oatmeal, sugar free ice cream, diet bread, english muffin, dry cereal and brown rice..

space99s1
04-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Aggie...that sounds good!

Have you guys tried Matzo bread? One "board" is a starch and it is quite a large size! Not only that, but there are flavored ones as well. I'll use the whole wheat in LAWL Apple Pancake recipe or as a snack, I like the Mediteranean flavor. Check it out!

Dairy Fairy
04-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Aggie: where are you reading this info? I have never heard this, but I'll be willing to give my sweetener up if you feel the source is credible. I've been feeling the need to give it up for health issues (just wanting to be a clean eater) and I've already switched from my beloved no-stick spray to Mazola Pure for the same reason.

Starches: Loving the mini bagels..Love WW Pitas. I also do the whole wheat lite bread. Basically I'm for anything where I an have a top AND bottom on my sandwiches.

CandlePrincess
04-10-2006, 10:11 AM
What I have read mostly is that there could be an issue with aspartame (spelling). Splenda is supposed to be as close to real sugar as you can get, and better for you. According to my plan, which is Red, you can use up to 3 packets per day.

aggie2006
04-10-2006, 10:56 AM
as a matter of fact, the first place i read this was the atkins book, the second place i read this was in the zone book...

aggie2006
04-10-2006, 11:16 AM
here's some info i got off the web about aspartame...
Aspartame is difficult for your body to break down, which stresses your digestive system and causes it to store more of your food as fat.This is a theory that seems to be supported by what happens AFTER people give up all aspartame. According to Dr. H.J. Roberts, people getting off aspartame completely lose an average of 15 pounds. Aspartame can make you actually crave MORE sugary sweets.The reason aspartame so strikingly stimulates the appetite is it provides over half of its content in a form of a phenylalanine isolate.

The amino acid phenylalanine outcompetes all the other at enzyme sites in the body. This suppresses the formation of dopamine from tyrosine and the formation of serotonin from tryptophan. The serotonin is the neurotransmitter that reports carbohydrate metabolism. When your serotonin levels are not allowed to raise as they normally do when you eat carbohydrates you crave more and more food. The dopamine is the neurotransmitter that lets you feel satisfied, so when you use aspartame you have unsatisfiable cravings. The aspartame also poisons your metabolism so you cannot burn calories.
and the list of info goes on and on...

aggie2006
04-10-2006, 11:18 AM
http://www.moontide.net/aspartame.htm

this is the continuation of the previous article, its worth reading...

rad7775
04-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Aggie:
I use for my starches:
potatoes, mini bagels, low fat low sugar ice cream, low fat low carb wraps(once in a while), melba toast, white rice, wheat pasta, sometimes I love to use one starch and one protein in a Lean Cuisine meal, bread for sandwiches, LA cheese curls, and wheat pita bread. Hope this help.

Repo girl
04-10-2006, 12:20 PM
I love splenda, and a LAWL counselor who posted on here a few times said that you actually do not have to limit yourself to 3 a day. I eat mini bagels, lc wraps, WW pitas, and potatoes for my starches usually, however I have been on a big popcorn kick lately too.

snoody
04-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think spenda contains aspartame ?

emmysmom
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
No, it does not. Splenda is it's own artificial sweetener, but is supposed to be very close to sugar.

sznn
04-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Agge - I have also heard artificial sweeteners hinder weight loss.
Not certain of the science behind it.
I personally do not like the after taste from any artificial sweetners. I bought the bulk box of splenda when I got sucked in by "made from sugar - tastes like sugar" did some research -after I bought it that is- to find out slenda is manufactured from chlorine - no less. Yuccck!
I just use real brown sugar - and try to keep the consumption to a bare minimum.

-S

Dairy Fairy
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I'll try this for a couple of weeks (no splenda) AFTER I finish this 2 liter of diet soda

Repo girl
04-10-2006, 02:43 PM
This is an article I found this morning after reading some scary stuff about Splenda. Has anyone ever tried Stevia?

Other countries and diabetics have both taught us a lot about controlling insulin naturally. For many years, diabetics have used products sweetened with polyalcohol sugars like sorbitol, xylitol, malitol, and mannitol. These are natural sweeteners that do not trigger an insulin reaction. (Xylitol can be derived from birch tree pulp.) They have half the calories of sugar and are not digested by the small intestine.

While most polyalcohol sugars have no side effects, sorbitol is a laxative and can cause diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating and flatulence.

For this reason, we recommend the herb stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) over sorbitol as a natural sweetener to our patients. Known in South America as the “sweet herb,” stevia has been used for over 400 years without ill effect. Stevia has been enormously popular in Japan, now rivaling Equal and Sweet’N Low. It’s 20 times sweeter than sugar, so a small portion of Stevia will sweeten even a strong cup of tea.

We’ve known about stevia in the US since 1918, but pressure from the sugar import trade blocked its use as a commodity. Today stevia is slowly gaining steam as a sugar substitute, despite similar hurdles. The FDA has approved its use as a food supplement, but not as a food additive due to a lack of studies. Stevia can be used for anything you might use sugar in, including baking. It is naturally low in carbohydrates. You can buy stevia at most health food stores and over the web. There will always be those who have a sensitivity to a substance, but based on reports from other countries it appears to have little to no side effects. For women who want to move through their cravings for sugar without artificial chemicals, stevia is a great option.

Dairy Fairy
04-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Katie, pure genius. I just got off ebay where I ordered a 2 oz bottle of clear stevia liquid. If I like it, I will invest in the bulk stuff, but I need to try it first and this was the cheapest way to do so. They also sold stevia seeds. I love growing my own herbs and such, but I don't think I'd want a dried up leaf floating in my tea and coffee ;)

Anyway, knowing this is on its way, I really hope I can give up the sweetener. I have known for a long time I SHOULD do it, and this thread really catapulted me into action. Thanks Aggie!

Dairy Fairy
04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, on the stevia liquid 1 tsp= 1 cup of sugar! I paid $6.79 (incl shipping) for a 2 oz bottle with a medicine dropper, so I think that probably comparable to splenda price wise. I'm pumped ;)

aphil
04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
as a matter of fact, the first place i read this was the atkins book, the second place i read this was in the zone book...

Well...I wouldn't count these as the best sources for this information. :D The reason being, is because the Atkins plan is also saying that too much aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are bad-so avoid them, and instead, eat bacon, sausage, and butter on all of your vegetables. :rofl: His diet is low carbing, which is a totaly different thing than what LA Weight Loss is-which is low calorie.

I personally think that artificial sweeteners are fine, and they do not stop you from losing weight. The key though, because they are "artificial" is like anything else. Moderation. A couple packets a day won't hurt you.

Repo girl
04-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Dairy- I am going to grab some at the Health Food store as soon as I can, too. Let me know what you think of it!

Dairy Fairy
04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Katie, I got the liquid. I read after the fact that the powder had less of the "licorice" taste, but that if you didn't go over the aftertaste wasn't as bad. Also cooking helps with the aftertaste. I don't think sweeteners are as bad as many people think, but I'm very open to a healthier alternative. I wish there was more research done on stevia (because I would be too scared to use it while pregnant), but logic kicks in and says "I know research has shown aspartame can be harmful in large quantities, and no negative human side effects have ever been proven with stevia...take your chances with the stevia."

merem
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I can't believe I've never heard these bad things about artificial sweeteners hindering weight loss. I use Splenda and I try to limit it to 3 but usually go over and have 4 or 5 a day. I'm going to check out Stevia. Repo Girl--do you know where to buy it?

As far as starches I like a slice of reduced calorie bread, 1/2 small potato, mini bagel, and oatmeal. My favorite breakfast right now is to make 1/2 cup oatmeal and mix splenda, peanut butter, and sugar-free chocolate syrup in it after it cooks. It is so yummy--it tastes like one of those no-bake cookies my mom used to make. I had it for lunch today and it tasted sinful but it is totally OP.

Repo girl
04-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Yum, that sounds really good. I saw Stevia in our local health food store the other day, just didn't think to buy it.

MTdebster921
04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I have cut back on how much Splenda I use since I started LAWL. I can't have too much because I get headaches from it. I only use the packets, I don't like the aftertaste of the spoonable kind. I avoid Aspartame like the plague, for me nothing sparks an asthma attack like aspartame does. I don't care for the bitter taste of the saccharine. I tried Stevia a long time ago and I really despise the taste of licorice and just couldn't do it. I got the powder and still couldn't stomach it.

Starches-sweet potatoes, brown rice, caramel toffee rice cakes. There is a wheat company here in Montana that makes 'Wheat Montana' bread, make a killer lite bread. That has been most of my starches lately. Sandwiches baby!!

Merem that sounds just scrumptious, mmmm might be breakfast tomorrow.

aggie2006
04-11-2006, 03:30 AM
merem...yummy...i cant wait to get home so i can buy the products to make the things all you ladies are having...thats the worst that the city im in doesnt have light bread, light anything or ff anything as a matter of fact...so i have to sacrifice a lot of things...sucks...
heres another interesting fact for you gals, the preservatives in all unnatural foods, E 450 for example are just as poisonous to our bodies as aspartame...try not to eat too many things with preservatives....preservatives along with real sugar as the supposed killers or our and the next generation...atleast thats what they teach us in school!
a story started to circulate in poland, that another saint was discovered because when she died her body stayed preserved and didnt decompose...but research was done and proved it was the high diet of preservatives that can actually preserve our bodies for 10 years...isnt that amazing!
thanks for all the starch posts...definately a help, i need variety!

rad7775
04-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Aggie:
Girl that was interesting, is incredible how many things are discovered everyday...

Dairy Fairy
04-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't know what it is, but I think it's a combo of becoming a mom and getting older that makes me more of a health nut every day. Ten years ago I wouldn't have even known where the natural section of the grocery store was, now I'm over there more and more.

sznn
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Well we're on the topic of food - I saw a program on the w/e about GMO (genetically modified) foods - very scary.

I believe there needs to be more exposure about this matter in the media or we will all remain complacent and GMO will take over all existing crops.
It is already highly prevelant in many of the foods we already eat in North America - they are just not labelled as such.
I have seen a few 'non GMO' labels - but never a GMO.

Just a little FYI

-S

Dairy Fairy
04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
That's it. I'm buying a farm and going granola!

Repo girl
04-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Sounds good. Wanna be neighbors?

Dairy Fairy
04-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes, we can do cows and chickens for protein/dairy, and we'll grow our own veggies and fruit... but where are you going to find tea plants? (this is where I wish I had a picture of a drunk smiley)

Repo girl
04-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Oh, yeah, we can definitely grow all of our own medicinals. All of them.....hehehehe.

Dairy Fairy
04-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Ok, after reading all the concerns over stevia, it said pregnant women should never consume any type of herb. What? I grow basil and dill for my food and, last time I checked, these were also herbs that do have medicinal properties. I think that broad generalization is lazy, because not all herbs are dangerous. I think doctors and "experts" should try to eat what they tell pregnant folks to eat for 9 mos and see if they can make it.

Repo girl
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
You know, if you followed every single rule, you wouldn't be able to handle it. Of course no ciggies, alcohol, street drugs, and ask about OTC meds. But herbs, blue cheese, salt, lake caught fish, blah, blah, blah....... Give me a break! Our mothers ate all of that stuff, probably a lot of them did more, too, and we all turned out fine, right? Right? Hmmm, maybe not.

emmysmom
04-11-2006, 04:29 PM
That's so true, Katie. When I was pregnant and telling my mom about all the Do's and Don'ts, she said "How in the world did I ever raise you because everything I did is now considered wrong!"

Dairy Fairy
04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
My mom ate pond catfish like EVERY DAY with me. My sister ate bologna with one of her pregnancies (and only God and Oscar Mayer know what is really in that stuff). I didn't know about the blue cheese thing until it was too late...hot wings were my craving, and blue cheese was never far behind. Oh well...I got a perfect kid anyway. I'm with you on staying away from the biggies and high-mercury fish (and I was really strict about caffeine and sweetener until the last trimester), but lighten up already on everything from culinary herbs to herbal teas.

yoga_gurl
04-12-2006, 12:56 AM
I use stevia sometimes. It is something like 1000 times sweeter than sugar, so getting the amounts right is difficult. Splenda is made from sugar alcohols, which metabolize in a different way. Some sugar alcohols are malitol, sorbitol, and xylitol. One issue is that they can cause constipation and/or diarrhea. Xylitol is worse for that. I think Splenda has malitol and sorbitol. The ingredients say. Roughly sugar alcohols are made by adding a hydrogen atom to a sugar molecule. Sugar alcohols don't cause the same blood sugar spikes that sugar does. Xylitol is used in Trident gum, and other gum and mints because it is proven to slow tooth decay.

Hope this helps.

Kristi :yoga:

Misti in Seattle
04-12-2006, 01:28 AM
I once did a huge Internet research project on Nutrasweet/aspartame, etc. It was so nasty I hardly ever touch the stuff any more! I do use Splenda sweetened syrups now in my coffee but now mostly drink water and sparkling water.

But you are right... to do everything "right" we would all have to become organic farmers and develop our own water purification plants.... :) There are some things we don't want/have to give up... like my Seattle coffee LOL... but I DID cut waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back on it! :coffee:

aggie2006
04-12-2006, 04:25 AM
sznn, i totally agree! its hard to find especially meats that arent gmo...fruits and veggies you can purchase organic...but its the best we can do...it sux but gmo meat will be the cause of illness in the future...they dont have enough proof yet inorder to stop the production (in the usa money rules...benefits out way!) because we and our parents are the test generation! they say thats why the world is getting taller...if "you look at your great granparents or granparents few are in the "tall" category!

a question about high mercury fish-they say dont eat it because it makes u infertile...but i love tuna, i can have it everyday...if im not trying to get pregnant does it matter...i know mercury stays in your body for a long time...any insight?

Dairy Fairy
04-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I've only heard not to eat tuna or other large fish (ones that live in the ocean and have more time and life to build up a bigger mercury store) when you are pregnant. I've never heard anything about the infertility part or heard any rec. to stay away from it altogether. Even when you are pregnant I think you can have canned tuna 2x a week still. Sory I can't be more help!