Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #1  

Unhappy Finding the Time

Ladies,

I'm at a total loss right now. I have noticed that a good bit of you are still in schoo like I am and I sit here wondering how do you find time for yourself? I haven't been to the gym in over a week! I just feel like I never have time for me between keeping up with school and other commitments I have. There are so many things I want to do; however, when it comes to the end of the day I have no energy. I also am having a hard time sleeping at night. I don't understand why-- I have resorted to sleeping aids just to get a decent amount of sleep. Sorry this message is all over but I just want to know how you ladies are able to find time to make it to the gym and keep a balanced diet and not go crazy at the same time.
adaynparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #2  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

its really hard.. im not gonna lie to you and say its not.. its crazy hard, and this last year, trying to fit ME time in among everything else is just NUTS! But im doing it.. and im making it.. and if i keep it up, i know ill do fine!

I work full time, im a nurse. I work five days a week, sometimes day shift, sometimes night shift.. all the time hard/crazy and stressful.

I am a single mom of two kids, that will suck your time like NOTHING ELSE! lol.. but its great.. it really is.

I also am in college, im enrolled in 21 credit hours this semester.. full time plus some.. and im maintaining a 4.0 gpa.

It CAN be done.. it just takes a lot of motivation. YOU are WORTH the extra time, carving out even 30 minutes of "ME" time is well worth it
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #3  

Sometimes my schoolwork suffers because I've needed to take "me time." I refuse to give up the small amounts of time for myself that I do get -- it's important for my sanity. I do not value my education over my health!!

If you don't have time to go to the gym with all that that implies (getting there, changing, working out, showering, getting back), why not take a 20 minute study break and go for a brisk walk if it's nice outside? Do that two or three times a day and you get some good sanity-saving outdoors/exercise time. Sure it's no match for spending an hour on the elliptical, but it's pleasant, and helps rest your mind.

As for not sleeping, that would happen to me quite often when I was so involved in a project right before bed that I couldn't turn off my brain. I don't sit up with anxiety often, more that my mind keeps trying to churn away at essay topics and study questions when I've finished for the night. This may sound ridiculous to some people, but I've been listening to this hypnosis thing at night the past few nights and have gotten the *best* sleep I've had in months. I wake up on my own after 7 hours and feel ready to go... For me, I need someone telling me to relax and shut down my mind in steps. I can't turn it off myself. It's soooo relaxing. Before I got this CD I'd get my FH to give me a backrub with a lightly scented body lotion. I found that to be very, very relaxing too, such that I could finally sleep at the end of it all.

Maybe try going to the gym first thing instead of studying first thing. Exercise helps me with mental alertness -- hence the little walks I suggested -- and then you don't have to worry about being too exhausted at the end of the day for exercise.

I'm sure you know this, but be careful with sleeping aids... Make sure you're using the proper dose and only for the recommended amount of time, lest your body start depending on them for sleep!

Good luck and just remember, the year's almost finished and soon it'll be summer again!!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #4  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I'm a major procrastinator when it comes to the many essays and readings I'm supposed to do, and because I've actually come to enjoy exercise, it has become yet another great excuse to avoid doing school work. For example, yesterday I spent 2 and a half hours at the gym, doing strength exercises, using cardio machines, and playing squash with a friend. This was all in a bid to avoid the looming essay deadline that is coming.

Now I don't necessarily suggest this strategy for you... but it shows where my priorities lie... like Jaime said, health over education. School IS important to me, but this year I decided my health was more important.
I am also not a cook. I don't have a problem eating simple things. I microwaved a bag of veggies this evening to accompany a Subway sandwich (I also eat from a lot of the campus restaurants since I live in residence and have a meal card). It can save time to keep your food simple, if you don't mind that.

Anyway, I know it can be hard sometimes. Yesterday I ate a whole bunch of junk food because I was stressing about homework. And sometimes I really don't have the time to exercise. But it is possible to eat healthy and exercise most of the time, if you set it as your #1 priority. Oh and exercise might help you sleep better!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #5  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

I just started excercising and I think the best decision I can make is to admit that the only time I'll have is in the morning. So, I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that I'll lose an hour of sleep for the rest of my life a small price to pay.
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:16 AM   #6  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

you have to do it. even if you are not looking to lose weight, you have to have some down time - and i don't mean parking in front of the tv for hours on end. you need a bit of r&r to keep up with all your committments.

the best thing i have found is to treat "me time" like any other appointment. you wouldn't break an appointment with your best friend or at the doctor unless you had a very good reason. treat yourself with the same respect you do other people and events and make an appointment with yourself.

boy - some of you girls are sooooo busy good on you for finding the time to look after yourselves
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #7  

Thank you Ladies. I feel much better about taking time for myself. For the past two nights I stop doing homework or anything else and just spend time for me.

Thanks again!
adaynparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #8  
diet soda addict

S/C/G: 170 / 164 / 128

Height: 5'4.5"

its not about finding the time, its about making it. thats the key right there. in our lives, there is no finding time for anything, we have to make time for it. we make time for school, for work, or everything else, why not make it for yourself. i would try doing a little yoga with some nice relaxing music. or even just taking a little walk. that way you are not only getting time for yourself, but you are exercising too! :hugs:
Pretty in Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #9  

I too struggle with this. I am usually so busy that when I don't have to be somewhere I just want to sit and watch TV. I am really trying hard to make time this spring/summer because in the fall it's back to school full-time and I want to be in a routine of working out regularly and not relying on fast food every night. I haven't really come up with any good ideas to actually make myself follow through with this though. Just wanted to tell you you're defintely not the only one
Jamielyn769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #10  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I felt the same way for a long time - how could I possibly spend time being healthier when I already work and go to school? That is, until I looked at how much time I spent doing absolutely nothing! Seriously, I was appaled at how much time went to watching TV and playing on the computer. Now I try to find ways to fit exercise into my life in little ways - instead of taking the bus to school I walk the 35 minutes there and back. I walk to the store, too. And when I want to go out to the coffee shope, I make myself run the 2 miles around the park beside the coffee shop first - it only takes an extra 25-30 minutes. I always keep workout clothes with me, too, so that I can go for a jog between classes. Surprisingly, even though I'm actually doing more, now, I feel like I manage my time better because I'm aware of what I'm doing. As for the sleeping, I've been sleeping way better since I've started working out regularly and not eating os much sugar and starch (heavy foods at dinner are harder for your body to digest and so can keep you from getting a restful sleep). It can all feel kinda hard sometimes, but it is possible, and it is worth it.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #11  

Height: 5'3

I think you may sleep better if you have a little time for yourself. School is important, that's true, but so are you. Dont get too stressed out.

I'm in medical school and one of my professors said something to my class that really helped me. He said, "I see a lot of you in here (anatomy lab) studying a lot, and that's great. Studying is important. But I want you to remember that you have a life to lead outside of this class." There was more but the last line is the one that helped me. You have a life independent of school.

Remember that. Dont let yourself be consumed by school.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #12  
Melting Butter

Since I'm in nursing school I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I just had to make out a daily plan and stick to it. It's really about prioritizing for me. I cut out a lot of the stuff that wasn't really important or beneficial to me like clubs and junk like that.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote