General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #1  

Default Government Assistance, what are your thoughts

I need your oppinions. I have thought about going to apply for Food Stamps for me and my family, It's me, my son who's 2 and my fiance, by no means are we poor but we are a few financial problems both me and my fiance work full time jobs, but with daycare coming to about 600.00 monthly and rent and utilities totaling over 1000.00 monthly, not to mention having to buy pull ups, household neccessaties, and paying car insurance on our one vehicle, and lord knows with the cost of gas, alot of times after all of those bills are paid we have only have about 150.00 for the rest of the month, and then to try and buy groceries, and save a little in case of an emergency is almost like turning water into wine. This is not to say that we go with out eating, my weight bears the proof of that, but with trying to eat healthier it's almost impossible, lean meat, fruit, and vegetables are just so damn expensive. I hate having to ask people for help,every since I've been on my own I've been totaly independent, when I was 19 I started college and all the while in college, I worked full time, paying my own bills and providing for my self, even after becoming pregnant I ontinued to be a full time student and work full time, for the last 6 years I have only been without employment for a total of 6 months and that's the time I used to recover from having my son and right after I got back to work and school, I am in no way afraid of hard work, it just that after hearing a commercial this earlier this week about the food stamp program, I thought that maybe I should apply. The problem is when I've asked a few people about there take on government assisatnce they have all had negative responses, like my co-workers I decided to ask for there oppinion and they all said that only lazy, people who are afraid of hard work rely's on the government, and my grandmother who comes from a different time period who believes that a man should provide everything for there family and they should not ask for handouts, and my fiance who is dead set against getting hand out from anybody. I need to know what you guys think, and if you can share some ideas on getting the most out of what money we do have. Thanks!!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #2  
it's always something

My personal opinion is that if you apply and qualify, then you can use it. You most definitely are not lazy and you have legitimate expenses. With the economy as it is today, it's getting more and more difficult to make ends meet. People that need food stamps are not necessarily unemployed or lazy. Many hard working people are in your situation, or are college students, or have had their budgets ruined by medical bills. The list goes on. If you are having a difficult time providing nutritious food for yourself and your child, then I think you are right to consider applying for food stamps until things improve.

As far as your coworkers and grandmother are concerned, maybe you shouldn't mention it to them again. Personal finances are personal and don't concern them, and no one else knows what it is like to be in your shoes. It's always harder when the people that are close to us express negative opinions about sensitive issues.

At least that's my personal opinion. Good luck
Old 04-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

do whatever you need to do to provide for your family. you may also qualify for a program called WIC. look for your local family services office. im not sure what programs that are available where you live, because i dont know where you live, but do NOT be embarassed that you need help. i was a welfare kid. i was raised by my great grandma. i never wanted for anything. do not feel ashamed that you need help. *hugs*
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #4  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey there!

as someone who is on Social Assisstance, I say go for it. As long as you tell them everything, and they accept you, then use it. I just had a meeting with my cousellor and hey went through everything. they said that is a last resort, so basically one has to sell the house (then rent a place), sell the car (or get a leased one), sell life insurence (and use that up)---its sooo stupid really. But they do give allowence for "special diets" (high protein etc) but you have to have a doctor's note.

I am on it cuz I can't work since I am still recovering my leukemia treatment. So I can't work and have not income.

But I still say, they are the ones thatmake the decsion, it never hurts to apply...

good luck
Old 04-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for your advice. And fitgal2, the commercial that I heard regarding foodstamps, stated that you can own a car, have life insurrance, and a savings account and you still may qualify, but this commercial could have been geard just for Atlanta, Georgia.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

yea, I sort of figured that. I am in canada, so things a probably different here regarding qualifying and all that. but lets be honest...we all pay taxes so we should be able to get assistance if we need it!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If you qualify for it by giving the truth, then anyone who's down on you for it isn't someone I'd want to associate with anyway. HOW is it lazy to be working? You said you both work, but you still have a hard time making it. So HOW does that make you lazy? I'd just avoid those types of people who said that.

In any event, don't just apply for stamps. You may be eligible for some assistance with daycare and that can relieve a huge financial burden. Different states take different things into consideration. Some of them have an assets cutoff. Now if someone has thousands sitting in savings, they may still qualify in states that don't count those assets for stamps, but those are people I'd have a problem with. But they generally allow you one car that is not counted as an asset, and your home. Used to, some states made you sell anything first, but things have changed.

If you do qualify for any assistance, as someone mentioned, you then may also qualify for WIC...since you have a child under 5. They will help with milk, cheese, eggs, cereal and juice, which will save on some of the general grocery fund.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/258/160

I agree with what has already been said. I have had to rely on public assistance more than once. There are many reasons as to why a person needs to rely on the government for a little help, as you see, so please, please ignore your family and anyone else who thinks negatively about this. Personally, a few years ago, I was laid off from a great job, with a baby on the way and had no other source of income. Fiance was in between jobs as well, so we really didn't have much choice but to get food stamps and WIC. Your state may offer more than you realize. Check to see if you can get any type of childcare subsidies. I have that right now and would not be able to afford childcare without it. When I applied for assistance, I talked to quite a few people at the local assistance center who were able to give me insight into a lot more programs that my counselor never mentioned (help with buying a car, programs for lowering your utilities, etc.). Good luck and keep your head up!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #9  
Determined

I think it's important to use what you need for as long as you need it and then stop but I don't think there is anything wrong with using the systems that have been put in place to help you. When my ex husband left me and I was young and pregnant I used Medicaid for a few months. I used it so my newborn could have medical care until I could get a job providing it. I didn't hang out on it after I had a different resource but am not ashamed of doing what I had to do to get by.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Government assistance is there for a reason. I say if you have done all that you can to take care of yourself, and can qualify dear, then you do so with no regrets. Only you can answer that. I (AND IN NO WAY AM I SUGGESTING THAT YOU ARE ONE OF THESE !) have seen a lot of young people crying that they just can't make it, it's just too expensive and yet they keep having kids, buying cell phones, have more than basic cable, have their I-pods, X-boxes, etc. I also know how expensive it is to eat healthy. Seems the more they take out of a product and the less it has in it the more expensive it is! Crazy!!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #11  
210 / 193 / 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornard
...by no means are we poor but we are a few financial problems both me and my fiance work full time jobs... after all of those bills are paid we have only have about 150.00 for the rest of the month, and then to try and buy groceries, and save a little in case of an emergency is almost like turning water into wine.
If you're both working and still having trouble making ends meet, I don't think you're being lazy if you're looking for a little temporary assistance.

However, if you do go on assistance, you can probably kiss the idea of emergency savings good-bye.

My DH was badly injured in a work accident a number of years ago, when our children were very small (3 and 7). We tried to tough it out for a while, but then we finally humbled our pride and applied for help. We were only making about $10,000 a year for a family of four at the time. Well, would you believe we were denied food stamps because we were too "rich"? That was because we just happened to have a little money in savings, which put us beyond the limit for receiving help, no matter how low our income was.

I've come to believe that food stamps, etc., are designed in such a way as to keep families dependent, rather than helping them out over a temporary tight spot. Keep in mind that once you get started on government aid, the system offers a lot of incentives to stay poor and dependent forever. In the long run, I'm glad we didn't go on assistance, even though I don't think it was fair for them to turn us down.

I"m not saying it's wrong for you to apply, just that it's possible to end up feeling trapped once you do. I wish you all the best whatever you decide. It's tough when you can't make ends meet.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #12  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

There is such a things is the working poor. My husband and I were considered that our first 18 years of marriage, We would take turns working another part time job on top of the full time job we had to bring in a lil extra. We made a point of working opposite of each other so day care would be very small if anything. It wasn't fun, being that we didn't see much of each other.
I figure if you are able to get on then use it.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY
Seems the more they take out of a product and the less it has in it the more expensive it is!
There's a quote to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita
Well, would you believe we were denied food stamps because we were too "rich"? That was because we just happened to have a little money in savings, which put us beyond the limit for receiving help, no matter how low our income was.
Some states take assets into consideration. Some however only take them into consideration for cash assistance. Sometimes they can even differ from county-to-county in small ways.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #14  

I agree with everyone else regarding government assistance. You are a hardworker and everyone needs help from time to time. If you know that your family isn't going to be supportive of you then maybe you shouldn't share it with them. You know how it is when your trying to lose weight and suddenly everyone tries to sabotage your effots. Hang in there.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #15  

Thanks, again for all of the great advice. I showed these post to my fiance because it is ultimatley going to be his decision,at least that's the way I have to make it seem, you know men have there pride, and I don't want him to think that he can't support his family. But in the end I will do what I have to do. And while I do know people who have been sucked in by the system and are not trying to get out that way of life scares me to much to become dependent on it, and no I will not lie about any assests, that I have being that I I don't have anything that I own, but myself, my child and a car that more than 10 years old, hope they don't want me to sell it. Again thanks everyone for all of the great advice.
Closed Thread