Veggie Challenged - Asparagus is scary!

View Full Version : Asparagus is scary!

Jennifer 3FC
04-09-2006, 02:09 PM
My husband and son love it, but this is one of the very few veggies that I don't like. I can handle little bits sauteed with my food (aka HIDDEN) but overall, I don't like it. I used to, until I tried a recipe where it was very smelly and mushy. :barf: Since then, I haven't really liked it.

Also, has anybody tried white asparagus? Any difference in flavor/texture?

kykaree
04-09-2006, 02:29 PM
It took me a while to get used to healthy asparagus. BHL (before healthy lifestyle) I used to like it with melted butter as a dipping sauce, or preferably with hollandaise. Now I love it nekkid, or with a sesame/soya sauce.

I have tried white asparagus, and it's lovely, but it's too like normal asparagus for you to like it, I think! It's ok to not like all veggies!!

HungryMonkey
04-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Mushy asparagus does sound scary - but crisp, grilled asparagus is delicious! I cook mine on the George Foreman Grill with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and garlic salt (of course you could also use cooking spray or olive oil and your choice of seasonings). You can also steam asparagus to retain the firm texture - just be careful not to overcook it as that's what makes it soft.

Suzanne 3FC
04-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Gee, Jennifer, I was going to grill asparagus for you this week! You'll just have to cook something for me instead :lol:

I've never tried white asparagus. I've never seen it fresh, just in jars and it looks pretty gross.

kykaree
04-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I forgot about asparagus on the George (we won't get asparagus on this side of the pond for a month or so yet), it's great done like that!

AvsGirly
04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I love asparagus but try to limit the quantity due to the after affects of it. Girls I hope you know what I mean. :sssh: You know when you pee it smells weird from it . I know its gross. :D But you know someone had to bring it up LOL

irisheyes213
04-09-2006, 03:29 PM
OOO thanks for the idea. I never thought about cooking it on the grill. I have been roasting it in olive oil with garlic and italian seasoning lately. Yum...and before I did this I swore I would try it one more time and that was it. since then I have made it at least 2 more times. :)

Never tried white asparagus...as I haven't found it in our grocery yet. One of this days I may brave Whole Foods and see what I can find there.

Don't let one time ruin for you forever. As the memory fades Im betting you will find your taste for it again.

happydaisy
04-09-2006, 04:31 PM
It's really good baked in the oven with lemon juice, pepper and some feta cheese melted on top. The feta has such a strong flavor I don't taste the asparagus too much. :smug:

CeeJaye
04-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Asparagus is one of the few veggies that I do like! I started out eating it in those teeny asparagus sandwiches at church socials then I tried it alone and it was so good I planted some in the garden. (then I pulled it out because I thought it was a weed:o ) I have never seen white asparagus, but if it is as expensive as the regular then I won't be getting it anytime soon. The price wont go down for another few months unfortunately.:(

cheers, cj

Jayde
04-09-2006, 07:14 PM
I am curious about the difference in nutrients in regular green asparagus vs the white. Anyone know?

Grilled or roasted with olive oil, garlic, and a little sea salt.. yum yum.. I cook enough to have later as a snack or to take to work the next day.

HungryMonkey
04-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Grilled or roasted with olive oil, garlic, and a little sea salt.. yum yum.. I cook enough to have later as a snack or to take to work the next day.

Leftover asparagus is also great in a quiche or an omelet :)

Suzanne 3FC
04-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I just read that green asparagus is more nutritious than white.

Neither green nor white asparagus can be said to be superior to the other. Their organoleptic characteristics and culinary uses are different, but green asparagus does have greater nutritional value. The white surpasses the green only in total sugar content, so has more calories. Both types of asparagus have a high content of the anti-oxidizing vitamin A and C and of group B vitamins including folic acid. The high levels of potassium and calcium phosphate make asparagus particularly good for bone structure. The anthocyans, which are responsible for the purplish coloring of the green asparagus, protect the cardiovascular system. They increase in quantity as the colors become more intense, as does rutin which is known to provide protection against radiation and to assist in blood clotting. It is also a precursor of B complex vitamins. Saponins are responsible for the diuretic effects of asparagus and have a high fiber content. With respect to organoleptic characteristics, green asparagus has a more intense aroma than the white and its flavor is stronger and slightly sweet. Whereas white asparagus always needs to be peeled before cooking, the green does not. It has a fleshy texture and is firmer than the white after peeling.
http://www.laespanolameats.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=asparagus

I just roasted asparagus for dinner and I put too much salt on it :(

Jayde
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Wow! Thanks for the info, Suzanne. I suspected that the green would be more nutritious knowing that dark green vegetables and orange vegetables tend to be more nutritious. I had no idea that white aparagus had to be peeled. YIKES.. you've saved me from making the mistake of buying it just to try it.

(still chuckling everytime I see your avatar!)

veggielover
04-09-2006, 11:41 PM
I love asparagus but try to limit the quantity due to the after affects of it. Girls I hope you know what I mean. :sssh: You know when you pee it smells weird from it . I know its gross. :D But you know someone had to bring it up LOL

HAHAHAHAHA!! Wait no really- does it do that? I never had asparagus in my life! I just looked at it once and someone told me that it had a nice crunchiness to it like broccoli (my fav veggie!!!) and its available fresh or canned from where i live. SOmeone confirm this! I've never heard that it had an after effect!

Jennifer 3FC
04-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Suzanne, they have white asparagus at Food City sometimes. I didn't know that purplish asparagus was good! I thought that was when it was overripe. Silly me!

Thanks for all of the good ideas. I'll give it a try again. :)

Jennifer 3FC
04-09-2006, 11:46 PM
It's true, your pee does stink if you eat too much. :lol:

sarahyu
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Mushy over cooked aspargus is enough to throw you off it forever. Fresh asparagus, lightly cooked when it's still slightly crunchy is very good. Eat it with in a day or two of buying it also because it seems to get a stronger flavor/smell when it ages in the fridge.
Sarah

anyothername
04-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Hmmm, asparagus, steamed just so warm, with lemon juice, a touch of tabasco, and a spray or two of nocal butter spray is divine. My favorite veggie as a kid (abit i used real, EXPENSIVE butter, but that's another rate. Why is butter 5 dollars a pound?)

Goodbye Chubby
04-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Mushy asparagus does sound scary - but crisp, grilled asparagus is delicious! I cook mine on the George Foreman Grill with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and garlic salt (of course you could also use cooking spray or olive oil and your choice of seasonings). You can also steam asparagus to retain the firm texture - just be careful not to overcook it as that's what makes it soft.

Hungry Monkey,

Hey thanks for the grilling idea. I've had my mini George Foreman Grill tucked away in the back of my pantry and I finally pulled it out yesterday to grill my asparagus. I covered the asparagus in soy sauce and then grilled. I normally just sautee them in oil or butter, but I think I'll be grilling more often (and not just asparagus). Thanks for the tip! :D

Optical Goddess
04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Asparagus is one of those things that even though I'd love to like it, I just can't do it. I've tried it numerous times, numerous ways, and I physically have problems swallowing it. My husband loves it. I know it's supposed to be really good for you, but it falls into the same category of beets, tomatoes and yogurt: Things I'd really like to reap the healthful benefits from, but cannot get past the taste.

CeeJaye
04-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Asparagus is one of those things that even though I'd love to like it, I just can't do it.

That is how I feel about cucumber and watermelon. I really feel left out, but I can't even swallow it without a gag reflex.:(

cheers, cj

cayzee
04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I used to hate ALL veggies but potatoes and dill pickles when I was a kid. I don't know how it changed but as an adult I love just about all veggies (I'm still learning to like brussel sprouts). If it falls into the category of "food", I usually like it. Ha ha. I've found that when I really cut out all the bad foods, veggies taste better. Back to asparagus, another good way to grill asparagus is to marinate it in lo fat Italian dressing and then grill. If there's any left over, throw it in a salad the next day. Divine!

eljayok
05-12-2006, 07:19 AM
I love it cooked in a little bit of olive oil stray. Just when it is almost done to taste, I put a little bit of balsamic vinegar glaze on it. I do mean just before it is done because the glaze can burn easily if not careful. YUM!!!!!!!!

mandalinn82
05-12-2006, 12:50 PM
On the pee smelling thing...it happens to varying degrees with anyone. Some people have to eat a lot for this to happen, some people can have a spear and it'll happen - its just noticeable, not annoying.

I like asparagus steamed, with a sprinkle of sea salt and some pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice on top. Just don't steam too long...steam until just crisp-tender.

Tonight I'm making a warm chicken and asparagus salad for dinner, with some roasted corn, some green beans, and a bed of half spinach, half mixed greens. My roomie from the dorms is coming to visit.

LLV
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
That is how I feel about cucumber and watermelon. I really feel left out, but I can't even swallow it without a gag reflex.:(

cheers, cj
I used to love asparagus. It was one of my favorite vegetables. But it happened to be the very last thing I ate before I became sick sick sick with the flu (including serious nausea) and now I can't even look at it.

WaterWater
05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Is there anything that you can do with canned asparagus to make it taste good? It is mushy out of the can and I just really cannot eat it that way :( My dh loves it though and I have several cans in the pantry. Any suggestions?

WaterRat
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Asparagus is probably my fav veg - at least in the top 3! :) Never tried it grilled or roasted, but I will now.

Crazee - try roasting brussel sprouts, they get almost sweet and sooo much better than steamed or boiled. :lol

Water - maybe put the canned into a quiche? Or save it for your BF....

Lovemylife
09-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I love asparagus

I saute it in chicken broth, add a little fresh grated ginger to it and it is so good. It is even better the next day after the ginger has infused into the asparagus.

I also cook as above, but make it with a stir fry veggie mix added in with the asparagus and add some soy sauce, then eat over brown rice. Lovely meal.

shananigans
09-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Some of the constituents of asparagus are metabolised and excreted in the urine, giving it a distinctive, mildly unpleasant odor. The smell is caused by various sulfur-containing degradation products (e.g. thiols and thioesters). Studies showed that about 40% of the test subjects displayed this characteristic smell; and a similar percentage of people are able to smell the odor once it is produced. There does not seem to be any correlation between peoples' production and detection of the smell.[1] The speed of onset of urine smell is rapid, and has been estimated to occur within 15-30 minutes from ingestion.[2]

The amino acid asparagine gets its name from asparagus, the asparagus plant being rich in this compound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus

I like to steam asparagus till just a little tender, drain, then squeeze in plenty of lemon juice, throw in a little non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance is the best) and some chopped garlic and sauté for just a minuet or so. Yum!

babymomma
09-19-2006, 04:53 PM
I love asparagus, I also make mine steamed as I love it crunchy. A little olive oil, balsamic, and I'm good to go!

Lovemylife
10-02-2006, 10:58 AM
First, any thing with any fiber in it can cause those embarassing moments. Second, here is my fav way to cook asparagus, I like it even better left over the next day when all the seasoning has infused in the asparagus.

You have to like ginger to like this though.

Use some chicken broth, how much ever you need to just slightly cover your amount of asparagus for your family.

Fresh ginger, grate in some fresh ginger, how much is up to your taste, but remember that it can be hot with too much.

Trim your fresh asparagus and place in this mixture

Slow boil down until very little broth left, but not until the asparagus is burned or browned.

I learned this recipe from making a stir fry one time and the left over veggies were the bomb. If you like this make it with stir fry veggies and cooked chicken over brown rice, oh so good.

Spinymouse
03-03-2007, 11:58 AM
:?: Ok, so, if you don't eat asparagus, then your pee smells like..... ???? something really good?????

Jennifer 3FC
03-03-2007, 12:11 PM
:rofl: Let's not go there!

Mirtika
03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Thing with asparagus is that it's easy to overcook. You gotta keep a close eye. When it turns bright green--could be two or three minutes--you are done.

I love it steamed or sauteed to a crisp green, then chilled in the fridge, then served with a mustard vinaigrette (the French sort). Low cal luxury.

My hubby only ate iceberg lettuce and celery when I met him in terms of non-starchy veggies. I gradually introduced him to carrots, romaine lettuce, then mesclun mix, broccoli (only stalks), green beans, and asparagus (only stalks).

That's it. He's still kinda veggie challenged, but in our 25 years together, I've managed to get him, bit by bit, to expand his veggie and fruit vocabulary.

I know that I used to detest okra. Then I found it Bangladeshi style (cooked in a hot Indian skillet with tomato, onion, cumin and some other spices) and now it's one of my most favorite veggies. (I also enjoyed it southern style with tomatoes, but NOT fried, ick).

It may just be finding the right cooking style.

Mir

ennay
03-03-2007, 05:57 PM
ok you want to know what is REALLY funny? I'm one of those who one bite of asparagus makes my pee smell funny. I ate a bunch of asparagus a few weeks ago and my (exclusively breast fed) baby's pee smelled too! :rofl: Confused me for a few minutes when I changed him

I only like really skinny asparagus very lightly cooked like in a stirfry. I dont buy asparagus that is thicker than a pencil.

Luminous
03-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Zomg I love asparagus. And it'll be coming up in 2 months! Maybe less!

Every spring, AFTER gorging on it 2 meals a day for 2 weeks, I vow to find recipes for it. And every time I do try a very-special-asparagus-recipe, I'm reminded that the best way to have it is steamed, then a little bit of salt added, and a bit of butter if you like. Yes, 2-3 minutes TOPS for cooking asparagus. I like my vegs on the crisp side.

I think thicker-stalked asparagus is more interesting than thin stalks. IIRC, stalks are thick early in the season, and get thinner as you pick it. Also don't do the "snap" method to trim the ends. You lose a LOT of really good stem that way. Just trim off an inch or two from the bottom, maybe three if it looks really woody.

By the way, it's really easy to grow and you don't need much room depending on the size patch you want. I think my patch is about 2 feet by 6 feet and that's enough asparagus to feed 3 families. So even if you have a 2x2 patch you could grow it. You just need a well-drained (or slightly sandy) soil, and it doesn't require a lot of care or fertilizing. Comes up in the spring, harvest it until you are sick of it, which is for about 2-3 weeks. Trust me :D.

clvquilts
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I LOVE asparagus - poached, steamed, grilled or roasted. I'll have to try LoveMyLife's method of sauting with chicken broth.

It grows well in the sandy soil here in South Jersey so I can get it very fresh. One way to keep it fresh when you get it home is to cut the bottoms of the staulks off and place it standing upright in a pan of water until you prepare it.

Don't buy asparagus if the tips are bent and look like they have withered. They should be arrow straight and firm. You should be able to snap a staulk in half cleanly. If it just bends and dents it's no longer fresh enough.

I like both thick and thin green asparagus and only eat white asparagus in restuarants that are trying to be fancy with their food.

Asparagus has great fiber and water content. It's a member of the Lily family.

Mummy_Tummy
05-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies, roasted or steamed. Yummy! I was reading a book about folk healing and mountain medicine and asparagus is meant to be a cure for urinary infections. Which makes so much sense when you think that sulfer based medication is often prescribed for UTIs by the doctor and when you eat asparagus, your urine smells like sulfer.

It's good for you on so many levels! I eat it at least once a week. One of my favorite breakfasts is a variation of what the Brits call soldiers and egg (toast cut into strips and then dipped into a soft boiled egg). I use roasted asparagus and dip that into the soft boiled egg. instead. It is amazing!