Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #1  
Lesley Autumn

S/C/G: 161.1/151.7/110

Default Question about Arm Flab

Hi there, I'm new (to 3FC, to this forum, and to regular exercise) so I just wanted to say hi before jumping into my question.

Right now I've lost about 21 lbs and yes, I'm excited about that... except I still have pockets of flab that don't seem to be slimming like the rest of my body. My inner thighs are ridiculous still, but I guess just some leg lifts and cardio will fix that? Any advice? I just hate the jiggly-fat.

But my real problem is my arms. I've always had large arms, I'm genetically dense with muscles (under the fat, mind you) so putting on muscle isn't too difficult for me. I really want to blast the fat out of my upper arms so I've started doing some weight lifting at nights (low weight, lots of reps) but instead of losing flab, I've just built this manly looking muscle that is just making them BIGGER instead of slimming them. Can anyone please give me advice?

I understand that the flab takes time to get rid of and that I still have a bunch of fat to burn... but my inner thighs and my upper arms are just disproportionately fat and jiggly and I want it to go away Please help?

Last edited by lesel; 04-09-2006 at 01:28 PM.
lesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #2  

Hi! Unfortunately your doing all the right things.......unfortunate because there is no magic solution. Weight training to firm up and build muscle, and cardio to burn the fat.

I wish there was a way to spot reduce fat from trouble spots, but there just isn't.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Yep I agree with Kyka there is no magic pill or "spot" reduction exercise, you are doing all the right things, keep at it and be patient eventualy the fat will melt away from the top of the muscles and they muscles will shine through... Don't be shy to use heavier weights though because the more muscle you have the more you burn fat while you are standing still, and that's a good thing...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #4  
Lesley Autumn

Thanks both of you, I kind of knew the answer but you're all so much more experienced with a gym and everything so I hoped that maybe, MAYBE there'd be something to help speed the process. I should know better
Anyway, thanks for responding and maybe I will try heavier weights!
Old 04-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #5  

Don't you hate that, when you kinda know the answer, but you're hoping anyway!!!

I want to know how to spot reduce my thighs. I'd be a size 14 in pants if I could, they fit everywhere else, just not around my thighs
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #6  
Lesley Autumn

That's my problem too! My weight/hips/midsection has lost enough for a smaller size but the tops of my inner thighs... not even. Bleck.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #7  

I started increasing the tension on my stationary bike incrementally and also on the elliptical the last couple of months.
If I do the elliptical on a weightlifting day, I only do 20 minutes...increasing for 5 minutes and back off to start over the next 5 minutes and do 3 sets of that....I really believe in challenging my muscles and see the most benefit out of that. I noticed a definite improvement in the shape of my legs when I did that.
On the bike, I start off without any tension to warm up and then increase it each minute for 5 minutes on the elliptical. Then I back off to no tension and increase again for 5....depends on how long I'm riding. If I do a 45 minute on my bike, I'll increase for 14 minutes. I'm really working hard that last minute or two, but then I back off and start over again.....
Not only have I noticed changes in shape, but I don't have knee pain with stairclimbing or long walks anymore! I really need the muscle to stay stable....
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Maggie -- Do you have access to a gym or some do some weights at home. Leg specific weight training will help your leg muscles more than doing biking in the long run. Biking and elliptical machines are meant for your cardiovascular (heart) and to burn fat. If you have more muscles everywhere the muscles will also burn fat faster...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #9  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesel
Hi there, I'm new (to 3FC, to this forum, and to regular exercise) so I just wanted to say hi before jumping into my question.

Right now I've lost about 21 lbs and yes, I'm excited about that... except I still have pockets of flab that don't seem to be slimming like the rest of my body. My inner thighs are ridiculous still, but I guess just some leg lifts and cardio will fix that? Any advice? I just hate the jiggly-fat.

But my real problem is my arms. I've always had large arms, I'm genetically dense with muscles (under the fat, mind you) so putting on muscle isn't too difficult for me. I really want to blast the fat out of my upper arms so I've started doing some weight lifting at nights (low weight, lots of reps) but instead of losing flab, I've just built this manly looking muscle that is just making them BIGGER instead of slimming them. Can anyone please give me advice?

I understand that the flab takes time to get rid of and that I still have a bunch of fat to burn... but my inner thighs and my upper arms are just disproportionately fat and jiggly and I want it to go away Please help?
Are we sharing the same body or what? My body is the same way.. the only way I have found to slim my arms down in the least is pilates and resistance training. It takes nothing for me to build muscle too, and there for a while my arms were HUUUGE however, pilates has brought them down alot.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
only way I have found to slim my arms down in the least is pilates and resistance training.
Just curious if you use a certain "method" of Pilates? I've been doing Bun & Thich Sculpting and Ab Sculpting by Mari Winsor and am so happy with the results on those areas. Now I want to get something that incorporates my whole body - especially arms. I know Winsor has a complete series. Anyways, just curious. Thanks!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am using Danskin workout balls especially for my arms. Have only been doing it a few weeks but my arms certainly already feel stronger and more toned. And soooooo easy... can do them right at home.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote