Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #1  

Default Just wondering......

Hell0

I have been lurking around this site for the last few months and I am now considering NS. Anyway, I am a stay-at-home mom with a home daycare. Is it reasonable that this WOE will work for me. My problem right now is I am so sick of thinking about food - what are the kids going to eat (5x a day, at least), what am I and my husband going to eat, then to make it. I really don't mind cooking, but all this analyzing and planning is getting to me. I have PCOS, so I need to do a low GI or lower carb plan, so thought NS might be right.

Anyway, what do you think? Also, is it better to order from QVC or the NS website?

I have about 30 pounds to loose - will NS work as well as any other diet - 2lbs a week?

Thanks so much!
Grace&Bella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #2  
Buggin' with Pugs

Mom ~ it certainly sounds like NS would work for you, especially with the planning. My Hub and I find it tons easier as there is no planning, all you do is pcik the meal you want. Simple as that. Also, I too have PCOS and find this diet has helped alot with weight loss which, as you know, if virtually impossible with PCOS. You can order one week off either QVC or NS site. If I were in your position, I would try that first and see if the plan works for you.
Wishing you well
RubensMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #3  
Deb

Okay Okay - Now I need to know - What is PCOS????

I don't have that but I can recommend Nutrisystem for you. It is so convenient and I never have to think about what I'm going to eat - Except of course, in the grocery store when I'm getting my veggies and fruits. It is easy, easy, easy. Good luck to you.

Deb
DebDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

polycystic ovary syndrome

from familydoc.com
"If your hormones don't work in the normal way, your ovaries might make too many eggs. Those eggs turn into many cysts. The cysts (say: "sists") are like little balloons filled with liquid."
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #5  

DebDixon -

PCOS (as readyfreddy mentioned) stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Sorry, it is so common I sometimes forget that a lot of people don't know what it is!! I don't like to say my hormones 'don't work in a normal way', but it is a hormonal condition that can be really helped by a healthy diet and exercise. When left unchecked, it can lead to a lot of crappy symptoms - some of which included cystic ovaries (not everyone who has PCOS has cystic ovaries - I know, doesn't make sense!). I think the GI diet that NS offers would work really well.

RubensMuse - did NS seem to help your PCOS symptoms? Great idea about the one week trial - I think that will be the way to go!

Any of you have kids or stay at home? I'm just wondering if it will work in my situation.

Thanks again for your insight! I really appreciate it!
Grace&Bella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #6  
Buggin' with Pugs

Grace~ I work from home (graphic design and medical transcription). I find this plan SUPER easy to follow being at home. It is MUCH easier for me to control what I eat. If I were out and about I would end up in fast food or out with coworkers. Plus, I like having a schedule for eating so I can learn what works.

As for the PCOS issue....I was a very unusual case from the moment I started puberty. I was diagnosed at 14 with this problem. It just didn't have an officail name yet. I had always been in good shape and was involved in body building and other sports. It was not until I hit my mid 20's and we wanted to have a baby that we found out the real issue and that I was sterile. It was not until I tried birth control pills and other meds to help with the "period" pain and problems that I start putting weight on. Each year it got worse, easch year I gained weight. Well two years ago I had a partial hysterectomy, with the ovaries remaining. Since they pump put so much estrogen my doc said he would rather leave them in due to my age. He'd hate to put me on HRT's this young. I still ovulate and still have minor "cramping" but NOTHING like what I had prior to the hysterectomy. I had developed endometrosis as well as adenomyosis, AND hyperplasia. It was not a good time. I was at my heaviest weight on the day of my surgery. Since then, with NO dieting NO real exercise, it slowly came down by 25 pounds. At that is where I sat until I started NS. It seemed nothing I could do would get me past the 250 mark.

Symptom wise, I still have the hair issue and the higher testosterone issue, but honestly I can say that NS has helped with the insulin shifting issues that accompany PCOS. For the first time in MANY years, a diet is working. I used to get depressed with the inability to control my weight. The hormonal issues just didn't want to comply. Seems now that the insulin resistence issue are MUCH less now. My endocrinologist is liking the results and the decline in some of the numbers.

Hope that helps some!~!! if you decide to try NS, ask any of the Nutrichicks anything and we will be more than happy to help if we can

Last edited by RubensMuse; 04-10-2006 at 03:21 PM.
RubensMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #7  
supaphatchick

A website I go to is www.soulcysters.com
I am Americanwoman on there.

I bring up the website since it is contains a plethora of information on PCOS. The real low down.

PCOS SUCKS! I hate it! But I think it has made me a better person, even if it did rob me of a lot of my looks for so long. Not to mention making me a prime canidate for diabetes and heart disease. Not bitter at all...no...that everybody thinks it is always about infertility and not about helping women not eventually die of heart attacks at a younger age in their lives (if left untreated).
AmericanWomansong is offline   Reply With Quote