Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

Default Lifestyle change and cheat days

I ran across this the other day and thought it was good information. First off, I don't think that almost any food should be off your list of things you can have as long as it is not a trigger food for you. If you want to have something and can budget it into your calories from time to time - I think that is great.

I have seen a lot of people talk about cheat days. We have all read about them - well I stay on my diet all week then I eat what I want on Saturday. I have always avoided doing that. For me, that works against the whole lifestyle change idea. I think it is important that we are learning new behaviors - new ways to live - and not just ways to use willpower to not eat foods you really love. This study done in 2004 looked at people that followed both strategies. Those that incorporated a cheat day or days and those that had a consistent diet.

Here is the conclusion of the study:

Participants who reported a consistent diet across the week were 1.5 times more likely to maintain their weight within 5 pounds over the subsequent year (OR=1.58, 95% CI: 1.2-2.2) than participants who dieted more strictly on weekdays. A similar relationship emerged between dieting consistency across the year and subsequent weight regain. CONCLUSION: Dieting consistency appears to be a behavioral strategy that predicts subsequent long-term weight loss maintenance.

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 Feb;28(2):278-81. Related Articles, Links

Promoting long-term weight control: does dieting consistency matter?

Gorin AA, Phelan S, Wing RR, Hill JO.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...83&query_hl=21

BTW - I am a huge believer in doing what works for you. If you use cheat days and the weight is just falling off - it is working for you - keep up what your doing!
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #2  
One pound at a time...

Charles, thanks again for posting a great article. I have to say that when I used to be on WW, I used to save up points for the weekend "splurges" and then try to catch up for the remaining week. For myself, I did not see a consistent weight loss by allowing myself the treat day. In reality, I am still rewarding myself with food (a habit I trying hard to break). When I switched to JC, where there is a controlled menu every day, I am seeing a consistent weight loss every week. So for me, I can really relate to the topic.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I think it also may have to do with how someone defines "cheat day". If you eat whatever you want, even junky stuff, with no limits whatsoever, then I can see where it would be a problem. I still try to choose healthy foods on my free day, and I know I'll still be recording it in Fitday. It's just that I don't limit the calories on those days.

For me, I've found that doing this allows me to enjoy eating out, or going to a party or social function on the weekend, without be so obsessed about every little calorie that I can't focus on anything but the food. When I give myself permission to "eat more" (I don't call it cheating, because my mantra is "everything in moderation"), then I can relax, choose healthy alternatives from among the foods offered, and enjoy the company without mentally adding up calories from this stuffing or from this dip or trying to figure out how they prepared this asparagus by mouth feel and taste so I can update my mental tally.

I also find that using Fitday to review my choices both weekday and weekend (including my free calorie day), I still tend to average within the losing range of calories. My "free day" is usually only a few hundred calories more than usual. The healthy choices and habits are slowly sinking in.

That being said, on weeks when my choices are not so good, or I eat a LOT of extra food on my free day, or my extra calories are all in alcohol and bread... those are weeks when I do not expect to see a loss.

I also wanted to speak to the weekday/weekend thing. I think at times you almost HAVE to eat differently if you are working. My time is much more structured at work. I bring my cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast, whereas on the weekend, I'm eating breakfast with my family. I go to the cafeteria for lunch, where they serve fairly lean meat and at least two-three kinds of veggies. On weekends, again, I'm eating with family, and it takes more planning and preparation to get in my Five a Day of veg/fruit. We tend to eat out at least one meal on the weekends, or do social things with friends that almost invariably have some food component. That makes it harder, too. A lot of these things combine to make it much easier to eat more food and less healthily on weekends.

I think awareness and planning are the things that help me more than anything when it comes to this. I know I've got veg in the freezer, even if my crisper is empty. I need to make sure I eat my Five a Day even on weekends. (I find that if I focus on protein first, then fruit/veg, I have less interest/room for other less healthy options)
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I stopped doing any cheat days or meals. It turned into being a self defeating cycle and I was just fooling myself that I was changing my lifestyle. The actual cheat meal didn't harm me...but the 4 days of craving and cheating that followed the meal killed me. The emotional tie to food is another reason I don't reward myself with food anymore. It just isn't worth it!

I have learned that I cannot live on a diet that is too restricted. I do find I have the most success in having certain foods that are 'treats', yet will not be harmful to my plan. I like looking forward to certain things, but it is a food such as a boiled egg or a certain protein bar....rather than a pizza or healping bowl of pasta. I finally feel like I have a system that works for me and allows me to enjoy food and also have the mindset hat I am fueling my body, not feeding my emotions.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #5  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

I used to be a champion of the cheat day camp, but no more... It was okay at first but eventually it just ballooned out of control. I'd go wild on Saturday and then spend the entire rest of the week trying to lose the same 2 or 3 pounds I'd lost the previous week. I just couldn't handle it, so now I don't do it.

Nothing is forbidden but I do have foods that are "limited" - I can't have them anytime all the time, but if I can work them in to the plan without derailing myself, then I'll have a little of whatever it is.

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #6  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Good & interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
I think it also may have to do with how someone defines "cheat day".
This was my thought exactly. At this point I have to be accountable for anything I eat. My goal is to keep a 1,000 calorie deficit at least 5 days a week and a 500 calorie deficit the other 1-2 days. But I've never thought of my 500 calorie deficit days as "cheat" days. If I know we are going out to dinner, or going to a birthday party or other event...I plan that day as a 500 calorie deficit day. It's still a "I'm getting healthier" day as far as I'm concerned...even if I do eat a piece of cake!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I tried the cheat day thing, but I wasn't strong enough to handle it. I would get the foods for that day, but didn't do well at estimating how much and ended up with stuff left over ~ oh what a waste I would tell myself ~ to throw that away, so what happened is that my cheat day would get extended for how ever long it took to use up that food. Then the mind games ~ well, I haven't been good today, so I will try again tomorrow. Then it would take me days to get back on the wagon.

What I am trying to do now, is ~ if I want something ~ I have it and just figure it into my calories ~ maybe choose other lower calorie things so to kind of balance it out. I had a Reeces cup yesterday and still was under on my calories.

Also I find that if I want something like a cookie or something ~ I try to get what I want in a single serving size ~ once I have had that, it satisfies the taste, and I am ok ~ that way I don't have any left overs to worry about. It is probably not the most economical way to do it, but I have to do what ever works.

Another thing that seems to be helping me is as someone else suggested ~ not to think of any food as bad or forbidden ~ try to think of stuff as some choices are better than others. Thas has sorta helped me to get away from the mind set of ~ I had ( ) fill in the blank ~ I've been bad, and blow the whole day, week ~ whatever. I just make better choices sometimes than other times.

Sorry my post got so long ~ writing about it helps me somehow.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Another thing that seems to be helping me is as someone else suggested ~ not to think of any food as bad or forbidden ~ try to think of stuff as some choices are better than others.
Yep, I agree with this completely.

I also think weight loss is a very individual, and personal choice for everyone. Unless they are ruining their health, I would never knock another person's strategy.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #9  

It absolutely has to do with what works for you. I personally couldn't live without a "relaxed day". I have my own rules for that day which revolves around two healthy meals, a slightly over the top meal (whether it be pizza or a roast dinner or a pastry dish) and a dessert. Then back on plan.

I never have a whole "day off" as there is no such thing as a day off, this plan I am on is forever. But there is no way my "forever" could not involve a few "unhelpful foods" occasionally.

I think perhaps the study alludes to people returning to their previous lifestyle on a "cheat day" I never have a day now where I eat like I used to. I could have gone days without eating breakfast, or fruit or vegetables. Now I feel awful if I don't eat my veggies! My food plan is becoming less about losing weight and more about fuelling my body with appropriate food choices that keep it happy and strong.

Once you get to that point, the thought of a whole day off plan, isn't quite as good anymore.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

so far, mentally I need to have a relaxed day too. I've had to work with what that meant (there have been days where it's been out of control). I've got it down to a meal and a snack, the meal being usually a lunch out of whatever I might want, a burger and beer (still with a side salad instead of fries). I don't drink alcohol on my plan days. The other two meals are on plan (sometimes I have a smaller dinner if the lunch was more filling -- after I've been eating on plan for 6 days, I really am not able to eat a huge meal, I'm too used to eating small meals). The snack is a serving of ice cream. I don't eat ice cream on plan days.

I'm sure I'll modify this over time. For now, it mentally helps me to not feel deprived. I figure so much of this is mental, whatever I can do to keep me going is good. I see it a little differently, I don't see it as going against a change in lifestyle, I see it as a step to getting me to a healthier and healthier lifestyle. Maybe it's my way of emotionally weening myself off the food.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #11  
Monica

S/C/G: 310/302/180

Talking I agree!

I totally agree with you.
I have my cheat days!! I cannot diet all the way through. Like I said before. not like you will gain 20 lbs. if you do.
plussizequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #12  
Monica

S/C/G: 310/302/180

Question ATTENTION: Dragonwoman64

I think you have done great!! I would love to see myself get to where you are!! How long did it take??
plussizequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #13  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

This is a great thread.

Today was my cheat day, and I went WAY overboard. McDonald's for breakfast and lunch, and then pizza for dinner. Almost 3000 calories! Yikes! And it's not even that (not worried about the calories... That's not even a pound of fat). I feel HORRIBLE, physically! I know tomorrow I'm going to have a hangover, literally. Ughhhh!!!

kykaree, I'm going to follow your strategy from now on. A cheat MEAL, not a whole day. And to think, this used to be usual eating for me on a weekend. I'm a fan of reward day, for motivational purposes as well as for shocking your body with extra calories. But I think I should shock it with GOOD calories from now on.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by plussizequeen
I think you have done great!! I would love to see myself get to where you are!! How long did it take??
thanks. I lost 38 lbs the first year, a lousy 12 the next (I went off the plan for months after a big vacation). Then the rest this third year (that I'm into now). I know that's slow going. I'm made my changes slowly, with the eating and exercise. I felt so self conscious about going to a gym (Jennifer and Kaylie helped me with that move). I actually started exercising by walking in my neighborhood and doing marching in place.

It's had it's ups and downs, on and offs, slips and victories. This time around it feels so much more like a lifestyle change.

I do envy people that can make the changes faster, and zip off that weight. That just hasn't been my path. The one thing I've learned is never give up!!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote