Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #1  
Caution: Wide Load

S/C/G: Huge/Big/Average

Default Hypothyroidism

I have hypothryroidism, which makes me intolerant to cold, especially in my hands and feet. When I get cold, it can take me literally at least two hours to warm up.

What's worse is that I live in Michigan. Now, I LOVE Michigan, don't get me wrong, but the weather isn't always conducive to keeping warm - it will be in the upper 50s today and we are expecting snow tomorrow.

My problem is that I like hot, hearty meals in the cool/cold weather. To keep warm at work, I generally drink tea with honey. Well, I've stopped doing that. I don't like coffee. So, now I don't have anything warm to drink. I've been trying to drink water to replace my Diet Coke habit, but I still have a problem keeping warm. I am wearing gloves as I type this. (My body is warm, but my hands get very cold just grabbing my glass of water.)

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Ms. Shapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #2  

How about hot broth? Only about 10 calorie a cup. I'm hypo as well, but under control and have gotten past the feeling cold.

Homemade veggie soup can be very filling and hot as well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #3  
Movin on down the scale

I am hypo also, and my hands and feet are always arctic. I drink a LOT of herbal tea with splenda, and have virtually stopped drinking coffee and diet soda. Good luck
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #4  

I don't know if I'll ever have this under control. I've had it for years and each time I go they adjust it. That makes me nuts, because I don't necessarily feel better when they do that. But, to be fair, I started seeing an endocrinologist last year and I DO feel better than I have in a long time. BTW, I've heard of natural thyroid medications, but doctors who believe in them are impossible to find.

I'll try the hot broth idea. I don't really like herbal tea. (My problem with tea is that I like it so darned sweet, so I've just eliminated it altogether.) The only other way that I can get my hands warm at work is to wash them in hot water. I just have to let my feet so cold, sometimes all day.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #5  

I was hypo for years to (so I suspect) and had a heck of a time getting diagnosed. I tried Synthroid and it made me feel much much worse and I looked into a more natural approach. My doc put me on Armour, and it was like a night and day difference. My sister had Graves Disease, and was on synthetic medications as well, but decided to try Armour after I had such good results. She agrees it makes a huge difference. There a forum on about.com that has info on doctors who treat with the more natural Armour so you may want to check that out. I used to be cold all the time like you - now I rarely get cold - even in colder weather. It's amazing.

Good luck to you.
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am such an unusual case as I am hypo and had every other classic symptom...except I was always HOT! I keep hearing how synthroid does not work but my doctor has me on it and with experimenting and adjusting the dosage, I am sooooo happy as it is now coming out normal and I KNEW that before the test. I would encourage you to keep seeing a doctor and if yours is not getting the meds right, find one who is willing to help YOU find the solution!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #7  

Thanks for the help, ladies. I'll continue to get more info and keep on top of the problem.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #8  
Running Wild

are you on any meds? once my synthroid kicked in, i stopped being cold!!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #9  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

I also have hypo and my doctor has me on synthroid. It has helped me with but my hands and feet still get cold and I am still tired most of the time.
I drink hot tea all the time (Indiana isn't much better than Michigan) and I love Splenda. Its the closest tasting to surgar that I have tried.
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #10  

I drink hot water with lemon. I know it sounds weird but it is really nice, and it is so warm. I also have the natural hot bags, mine are wheat but I have heard of oats too. When I first got on my meds were amazing but then I moved and switched brands. Next apointment I'm going to demand to be put on the other brand! He says it will not matter and my numbers are good. I'm going to tell him that it does mater and I don't care about my numbers I want to feel good!!!
Oh and the cold feeling will get better!! I was so cold when I first found out but it did get better.
housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #11  

JustJuneBug and SLI: Yep, I'm taking Synthroid. I've been taking it for years. I recently started seeing an endocrinologist who seems to be keeping better tabs on it than my family doctor.

SLI: I was drinking hot tea with Equal and that was good. But after I had tea with honey for a sore throat, I was hooked. LOL Now, I can't seem to switch back to sweetner, so I just cut the tea out altogether. If I can't enjoy it, what's the point?

Housewife: My boyfriend gave me an electric blanket for X-mas (we are long-distance, so we don't live together and can't keep each other warm). It is has given extra hours of sleep, because I'd lay awake for hours trying to get warm.

I, too, don't like the idea of doctors going by the numbers on a range. It doesn't allow for an individual to be sensitive at either end of the range.

I have to give my endocrinologist credit that he listens to me, but he also makes me feel like he doesn't think I know what I'm talking about. I guess it would be fair to say that he seems closed to new ideas. OTOH, he may have already researched other things.

He is the first to tell me that I am Vitamin D deficient. I haven't found out what that has to do with hypothyroidism, if anything, but I have to give him credit for investigating, right?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #12  

I am doing the hot water with lemon every morning too! I have always drank it at times but followed Repo girl's suggestion for the juice of a whole lemon (and I add the pulp) in 32 oz of water. I do feel it is helping!! And it feels good!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:50 AM   #13  

Misti: Okay, you talked me into it. I'll give it a try this weekend. (I make lemonade in summer with real lemon chunks, so this can't be too different, other than my mouth will expect a cold drink when I smell the lemon.) Gonna go hunt me up some lemons.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #14  

That's great, Ms. Shapen... let me know how you like it! I chug down the first 16 oz and then drink the rest of the 32 oz over the next half hour to hour... depending on how much you can get down at once!

Oh and first stick a fork in it a few times and pop it into the microwave for one minute. This really makes the juice come out!