Exercise! - Cool Runners #25 April 2006

View Full Version : Cool Runners #25 April 2006

Ilene
04-02-2006, 07:46 PM
WooHoo :dance: to start the month off right I ran 9.64k this morning in 1h05mins... and it was GORGEOUS out :sunny: and all around perfect... UNTIL I got home and realized that I had to be a the church in 5 mins instead of 1hour and 5mins because I had forgotten to change my time :o and I had to do the Catechism.... The kids didn't mention anything if I did smell :lol:... It was too funny a scene getting my jeans on and literally running out the door...

eadavenp
04-02-2006, 08:51 PM
whoops... same thing happened to me. I ran, went to the store (forgot about the time change) and now i'm at work (lucky i work at a phone center and no one can see or smell me) in my running tights and shirt. i also had to dash over to my friend's art opening. It was kind of embarassing talking to her mom and family friends whilst looking like a total bum, but hey, its better than having skipped my workout. I feel good for getting out there, and thats what i have to try and remember when i feel so crummy.

lizzbabe
04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
LOL that is too funny about forgetting to make the time change. I did a nice 8-mile run this morning to make the most of the beautiful weather here. My legs were tired when I finished but my breathing wasn't difficult at all. Let's start off this week on the right foot.

Lucky13
04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I ran 4.5 miles Friday evening

I completed 7 miles yesterday (ran 57 of the 67 minutes it took me to finish)...I started cramping up again on my side...grr...

No running tonight unfortunately - off to watch NCAA basketball...send some mental vibes for me to stay away from the fatty foods!!!

Sheila53
04-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Eadavenp, thanks for the breathe right strip suggestion. I'm going to try them the next time I run outside.

I was speaking to my sister about my problem of wheezing when I run outside, and she said it sounds like exercise-induced asthma, which she has. After reading up on it, I think that may be my problem. Luckily, quitting running is not the solution. But it's off to the doctor to discuss this with her.

eadavenp
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Well, today i did a mini run. I only went about 8/10 of a mile, but I ran it faster than i would if i were trying to do distance. I basically ran somewhere for an errand and then walked back afterwards. (or rather, ran to the woodshop,worked on a project and walked back)

YP1
04-04-2006, 03:14 PM
I did 8.45k on the treadmill this morning, and have been researching marathon training plans to try to sort out which other races to incorporate as part of the training.

YP1
04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I've found photos of me running, if the link stays up, go here (http://www.amazingphotostore.co.uk/peakeventphotos/gallerymodule.php?ct=693&pg=1&gl=2746&THESESSION_PEAKEVENTPHOTOS=ebc54fc95a49d72241382b3 f715e9a7f) and I'm the top left photo (number DSC_0058) I promise I'm not running in the wrong direction, it's just that the course looped back on itself and I'm way ahead of the people going past that point for the first time... I'm also here (http://www.amazingphotostore.co.uk/peakeventphotos/gallerymodule.php?ct=639&pg=1&gl=2699&THESESSION_PEAKEVENTPHOTOS=ebc54fc95a49d72241382b3 f715e9a7f) (FAA_0134) and here (http://www.amazingphotostore.co.uk/peakeventphotos/gallerymodule.php?pg=4&ct=639&gl=2699) (FAA_0414)

Miaka
04-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Although I love to sleep in, I love to run even more. Which is what is getting me out of bed in the morning, especially after the time change.

Only Me
04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Great pictures Helen. And wow, you look really tall (and fast!). I like the just below the knee tights idea--they look comfortable.

I had a crappy run today. 8.4k at a slow pace that still did not feel easy. The weather matched my run--overcast, raining on and off, cold, snow predicted overnight. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

lizzbabe
04-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Helen, your pictures are great. Looks like you were running pretty well, too. I did a quick 2 miles at the park last night before class and tomorrow morning it's hill inclines on the treadmill. Oh joy! At least I have another fun run after work with a friend. I can look forward to that one.

Ilene
04-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Helen -- Great pics, you look good girl!!

Today was supposed to be running day for me but it was my dad's 79th BD so I had my parents over for supper....

2frustrated
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I squidged in a quick 1.5K run round before kickboxing last night. Not bad at all! I'm just trying to at least get out for a run at the moment! I could've kept going last night, I'd found a good pace, however I had to go back to get to class!

AnneWonders
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Great pics Helen! Congrats to everybody who went and did a short run. Sometimes I feel like if it isn't at least 3 mile why bother. But obviously the bother is worth it!

I'm still on the disabled list. I'm going to try to get to the doc today before this nasty cold turns into something worse. I've been down more than a week now.

Anne

YP1
04-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

I did about 5 miles today. I was meant to be running on the treadmill at the gym but they were all taken so I just headed outside and ran. I don't know exactly how far it was, it took me 44 minutes and was somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5 so I'll call it 5. I was so pleased with myself for finding an alternative, athough I was a bit cold because I was only wearing a little t-shirt because I'd been intending to run inside!

And I've signed up for another half marathon :D

NavyWifeDee
04-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I needed somewhere to post this, so was wondering if I could post here. You guys are my inspiration. I used to love to run, and am finally getting to the point where I am able to think about doing it again, and this morning I actually ran 1/4 mile. I know it's not much, but I'm shooting for a 1/2 mile, and then so on.

Dee

Ilene
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Hello Dee, :welcome: and of course you can post here... 1/4 of a mile is great for your first time out...:high:

This morning I ran to and from the gym, once at the gym I worked back and bis... Tonight I swim for an hour...

eadavenp
04-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Ok, so how do you motivate yourself to run everyday? are you taking some kind of supplement? Is there something in the water? I need as much help as possible. I have been having all sorts of eating issues of late and i dont want to exercise because that is what i do when i feel healthy, and right now, i feel anything but.

Ilene
04-05-2006, 06:32 PM
eada -- There is no supplement or magic pill that motivates anyone to run or exercise. Some days I just "do it!" whether I like it or not, and I never EVER regret a run or workout. I workout much better though when I am well nourished. When I don't eat well I try to refocus by journaling, writting everything I eat down, getting rid of all the junk in the house... On that note I'm off to swim...HTH and TTFN :wave:...

Miaka
04-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Although I haven't posted regularly lately, I've kept up with my running. I think I am getting too comfortable into my routine (15-20 miles/week). I know I really need to challenge myself, but I guess I am just being lazy.

Lucky13
04-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Ran/walked 8 miles on Tuesday in about 75 minutes...I've had to up my running a little bit lately b/c of my poor eating habits :( :( boo!!!!!

ugh...I just want to lose about 7-10 more pounds...why is this so hard right now? grr...

I also have developed a severe blister on the side of my big toe...I bought new running shoes but they are the same size/brand that I have always bought...I guess I need to see about stretching them a bit...

Helen - great pics! you looked very comfortable out there!

Hoping to do about 5 miles tonight...I need to get about 15 miles in before the end of the week - Had a major pigout fest at a party the other night when we were watching the NCAA championship game...way too many calories but I've been doing ok since then with my food so i need to keep up the running this week (along with some crunches and weights...)

Have a great day!

Only Me
04-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Welcome, Dee. 1/4 mile of running is farther than I went on my first day!

Emily, I so understand about losing that last 10lbs. It seems like it'll never go away.

eadavenp, It is tough to get out there and run on a regular basis. In fact, I ended up skipping yesterday's run because I was feeling terrible and just not up to it. Generally, though, I motivate myself to get out there by reminding myself how much better I'll feel when I get home from running. Sometimes I'll get out there, still feel crappy, and let myself cut things shorter than I'd planned. I'll promise myself I can turn back after 10-15 minutes if I don't feel better. Like Ilene, I never regret getting out there and exercising once it's done. I also only plan to run 5 days per week. The body needs rest too; at least mine does.

Miaka, It sounds like you have a decent base milage. Have you thought about signing up for a race this summer as some motivation? It helps me a lot to have something to work towards.

After Tuesday's tough run, Wednesday I felt even worse, so I went for a walk in the morning and didn't go running at all. I feel a bit guilty about it, but I think my body really needed the break. This morning was sunny and cool. I had a great 10k run, including 4k at about 10k race pace.

YP1
04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I did a fast 5k run today on the treadmill (under 24 minutes :faint:). I'm really trying to explore where my boundaries are at the moment, and I've not quite reached them yet I don't think! No running tomorrow, I'm having a day of COMPLETE rest from exercise. Bliss!

lizzbabe
04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Wow Helen that is really fast! I can never get as fast on training runs as the actual day but I do include speed intervals during workouts so I'll be ready to bust out when race day comes lol.

Did 3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning between 6-8mph.

YP1
04-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Whew, I did my 5k race today in 24:13 which I class as a better run than when I dipped under 24 on the treadmill because it was far hillier and there was a horrible wind which slowed me down. I was the 6th woman to finish (in a fairly small race) so I'm pretty pleased with that :carrot:

Ilene
04-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Helen -- Wow!! Speedy Gonzales!! :high:

lizzbabe
04-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Congrats on the finish!

I did a 10-miler this morning just exploring around town and it was so much nicer than just running circles around the park. My long runs will definitely have to be more exciting if I want to increase mileage.

Ilene
04-09-2006, 08:27 PM
I did 12k this morning it took me 1.5 hour :faint: I was pooped, I hadn't run that long in a long time...

Miaka
04-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I can totally sympathize with wanting to loose the last few pounds. I have trouble loose the last five and it is driving me nuts! I am going on vacation next month and hope to loose some before then.

Signing up for a race might be a good idea, thanks for the tip. But I really donít know of any that is in my area. I guess I have to look harder.

Helen, congratulations on finishing the half marathon! Canít believe you did 3 miles in 24 min. Thatís great!

YP1
04-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I did 11.4k this morning in an hour on the treadmill - BOOORING!!! But it was a bit cold to run outside so I forced myself to do it to remind myself why I'm looking forward to summer so I'm more inclined to get outside!

YP1
04-11-2006, 03:36 PM
6k on the treadmill this morning in 30 minutes. Dull dull dull. But tomorrow I'll hopefully manage to get outside for my 5 mile run to make it a bit more interesting!

AnneWonders
04-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Ilene, are you still training for that tri? Ironman Arizona happened up the road a bit from me this weekend, and now I'm all inspired again.

Of course, I have to actually beat this cough and get back out on the road again! :) DD got sent home from daycare with yet another fever, so now I'm bracing for the next wave.

Anne

Ilene
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Anne, thanks for asking about the tri, but I'm not sure about it at all... The swimming scares me, I can barely make it through two laps in the pool which is only 50m and the swimming for this tri is in the RIVER and 300m... I still haven't decided yet, but it's in August so I have a ways to go to make a decision ... I'm a chicken :chicken:

Yesterday I ran 9k with the girls and although I did NOT feel like it at all it was a good run although slow... Today no running but hit the gym and am now washing windows, it's soooo gorgeous out...

YP1
04-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I ran about 5.7 miles outside this morning, which was far nicer than doing it on the treadmill. I think I'll be doing 3 - 4 miles tomorrow (probably on the treadmill) then nothing over the weekend because I'm off to Amsterdam for a break over Easter. I could take my running kit... but I don't think I will :p

sarahyu
04-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Ok ladies, I've joined a beginning running program again. I did it last year and it didn't take. Once I completed my 5k (in a whopping 44 minutes-yes I did run it) I developed some knee pain and sort of stopped running.

I know that the knee pain is probably from bad shoes or not as good as I should have bought. Problem is my dh is adament that we stick to a budget all the time and $100 pair of shoes just doesn't fit in the budget. I splurged a couple years ago and went to a real running store and was fitted. Came out with a pair that only cost $89.00. I got the "I stay within our budget, I don't go out and buy expensive things and I expect you to respect....yadda, yadda, yadda" Guilt, guilt guilt. Ok, ok.

So question is- How do you find a good running shoe at the outlets? I'm looking to find good enough shoes around $50.00. At this point I'm only running probably 5 miles a week, later it will get up to 10-15 if my knees hold out.

I had been getting them at JC Penny when they have their 50% off sales plus a I have a 20% off coupon... but I was told at a stride clinic I went to that I chosen low end shoes. Shoot, I was going by how they felt and how expensive they were before sale price.

Oops, I getting long winded.

What do you think?
Sarah

YP1
04-13-2006, 03:09 PM
I did another 6.3k on the treadmill this morning, now I'm having the weekend off in Amsterdam with no running til Tuesday. Have a good Easter everyone!

lizzbabe
04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Happy Easter!

I did 4 quick miles on the treadmill yesterday and just found out there is a 5-k run pretty near here set for next weekend so now I've got some motivation not to skip any runs this week.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Ilene
04-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Sarah -- What I have been told by a foot doctor is that unless it's a specialty store, ie. a running store, places like Walmart just don't sell quality stuff... This is what I have been told, and maybe he was just trying to sell me a pair of 200$ shoes :faint:, *I* don't listen to my DH's budget talks :shrug: :lol:... Do you take some Glucosamine for your knee pain? I find it really helps me...

I ran 10.2k today...

sarahyu
04-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi Ilene,
Yes, I know that the really cheap shoes are bad-payless, walmart, kmart and target. I was thinking more in line with the outlets Nike, Adidas, New Balance stores that have a ton of last seasons shoes lining the walls.
And you are right, I may have to just ignore the budget lecture and go for it this year. Because in the long run it's cheaper then going to the doctor.

Sarah

lizzbabe
04-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Did 7.25 miles yesterday running a new route in the 90 degree temps. At least I got a bit of a tan! Tonight I am planning on a quick 2-miles again.

Only Me
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Sarah, Can you try going to a running shop, trying on shoes and finding the ones that you like, then buying the one pair there. For future pairs you could buy them online using froogle and save money that way. I did buy one pair online (saving a good chunk of money), but I figure that I don't spend much $ on myself in general, but my feet/legs and general physical health are worth the money for shoes that work for me.

I had a great Easter weekend running wise. We drove 800+kms to visit my parents on Thursday. Then Friday, dh and I ran a local 10 mile race. He finished in just over 1:20 and I finished in 1:24:49. My goal time was under 1:25, partly as an experiment in what my goal time should be for the 1/2 marathon I'm doing in 3 weeks, so I was thrilled to meet my time goal on what turned out to be a double loop full of small rolling hills. Saturday I ran a very slow recovery 6km and Sunday 10k easy. I took today off since we had to drive all the way home. Back to my regularly scheduled training plan tomorrow.

Ilene
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Sarah, Can you try going to a running shop, trying on shoes and finding the ones that you like, then buying the one pair there. For future pairs you could buy them online using froogle and save money that way. I did buy one pair online (saving a good chunk of money), but I figure that I don't spend much $ on myself in general, but my feet/legs and general physical health are worth the money for shoes that work for me.
.Sarah I was going to suggest that too :yes:...

lizzbabe
04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Only Me--Congrats on your race time! That is great and I am sure you will do wonderfully in the half-marathon as well.

No running on the agenda for me today but did my lower body weights this morning so I think that's enough lol.

YP1
04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm back, I did 8.75k this morning, hoping for a good week of running this week!

Ilene
04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Running 9.5K with the girls in a little while, it's a gorgeous sunny day here :sunny: ... I went to the gym for back/bis too, plus I washed windows this afternoon... Life is gooooood!!

eadavenp
04-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Ok- My show is over, i found out about TFA (rejected) and i have no more excuses. No more crappy eating and starting my workouts tommorow. I pledge right here that I will run tommorow, even if it is just ten minutes. I have a 5k in 24 days and i will not huff and puff and crawl to the finish.

YP1
04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I did 50 minutes on the treadmill this morning and got to just under 10k. I'm hoping to get a long run in at the weekend as it's been a while since I had a good long run out.

Ilene
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Eada -- What show? I must've missed something...

Yesterday ran 9.5k this morning did 25 mins of hills, went up and down that hill 4 times...

It's gorgeous out!!

eadavenp
04-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Sorry- I had a solo exhibtion of my artwork. It was a ton of work and stress to plan and my workout routine was completey thrown out of whack. I still havent gone for my run yet, but i will. I had an early dinner and now im digesting, will hit the road at 6.

Now if i can only stop sabotaging my eating habits...

Ilene
04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
EAda -- So you're an artiste!! KEWL!! I hope you ran :running: ... Did you?;)

eadavenp
04-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah! I ran past the studio and then doubled back. I worked for about an hour and a half on metalsmithing and then i walked home... altogether, the distance was about two miles, im trying to start up slowly.

Only Me
04-20-2006, 09:03 AM
eadavenp--Good for you for getting back out there. Life does get in the way of exercising sometimes. Which is fine, as long as you get back out there when you can.

I enjoyed a beautiful 11.2k run this morning. Perfect weather--sunny, no wind, cool but not cold. I love the summer when I can go out for 1 hour+ and still be home in time to get ds up and dressed for school. Part of my run was the last 3k of my next race, so I ran that while visualizing finishing strongly. Not sure if that will help, but I'm sure it won't hurt.

I didn't run yesterday as I spent most of the day painting. My legs were sorer this morning after a day of up and down ladders and bending and standing than they are after a challenging run. I worked out some of the soreness as I warmed up this morning though.

Ilene
04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Good for you Eada :cp:

Today I run with the gals 9.5k I think... This morning I will bike to the gym and work shoulders... It's the first time on my bike this year :o

AnneWonders
04-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Good for you eadavenp. Running can be a great reliever of stress and frustration sometimes. Hope it is helping.

Only me, sounds like you had a great run.

Ilene, you are going to do that tri yet--your running is coming along so well, and now you are swimming and biking.

Go Helen.

I am finally healthy, and dragged my butt out this morning for a 3 miler. I did unstructured run/walk intervals and it was HARD (my HR was over 170 much of the time), but I did it. Then I walked the doggies for another mile. I have 8 weeks to get ready for this tri. I feel good about the swim and the bike, but I'm worried about the run. It is a 10K after swimming and biking, all at altitude and I need to keep myself healthy and actually get some training in. I know I'll make it, but there are better and worse ways to do these things! :)

Happy running everyone. Now it's time to run to work.

Anne

Ilene
04-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for asking Anne, I'm worried about the swimming I can barely do 2 laps in the pool without being out of breath, for some reason I don't have that smooth rythm that swimmers have... I'm still debating :dunno: ...

Miaka
04-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Ilene - swimming is a great exercise, controlled breath, no impact on joints and tone muscles! I wish I was good at it.

I've kept up with my running and maintaining my weight even though I am not really dieting anymore.

lizzbabe
04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
I do enjoy swimming but I am terrible at it. I love to do laps in our pool (at the apartments) but only when no one else is around.

Have a 5-k tomorrow morning...we'll see how that goes.

YP1
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I did 9.5k on the :tread: this morning, I'm not sure whether I'll get the chance to run outside over the weekend but I've hit my 20 mile target for the week so I'm fairly relaxed about it. I might do a short one if I get up early enough tomorrow morning.

lizzbabe
04-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I typed up my incline schedule for another site so figured I would post it here in case anyone else was interested.

0-5min: 4.0-5.5mph 0% incline (warm up)
5-7 min: 6.5-7.5mph 3% incline
7-8 min: 5.0-6.0mph 0% incline
8-9 min: 6.5-7.5mph 4% incline
9-10 min: 5.0-6.0mph 0% incline
10-11 min: 7.0-8.0mph 6% incline
11-12 min: 5.0-6.0 mph 0% incline
12-13 min: 7.5-8.5mph 6% incline
13-15 min: 5.0-6.0mph 0 % incline
Repeat as needed. Cool down at the end.

That is pretty much it: I stick to the lower ends for my first time through, then speed things up the next time sometimes increasing the recovery intervals. I usually go for 30-35 min once per week. I got it out of some fitness magazine and adjusted to my needs.

Ilene
04-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Lizz -- '' 7.5-8.5mph 6% incline '' May that's fast and at an incline!!?? :eek: I'm in awe...

I do love swimming a lot too, but I am just not good at it at all and I'm afraid that I may not be able to do 300m in the triathlon :shrug: This is why I'm undecided if I'm going to do it or not...I'm intimidated by it all :yes:

No running today, just shopping and running from store to store... My g/f and I went to Ottawa, it was a lot of fun ...

lizzbabe
04-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Ilene, I have heard that the swimming is what intimidates most people but I'm sure if you pace yourself you will do just fine. Oh and on my incline program I only ever tried 8.5 @ 6% once....and almost flew off the back! I stick to the lower end now.

Only Me
04-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Psst, Ilene, if you're scared of the swimming part, try a duathalon this year. Like a tri, but you run/bike/run instead of swim.

Liz, your hill program makes my legs sore just looking at it. Treadmills scare me.

I did my last long run pre-race this morning. 24k on a windy, sunny day. I really need to bring water with me for long runs. My face was covered in a thin, salty layer by the time I got home. I'm not sure that I've totally recovered from last weeks race. Or maybe it's all the yard work I've been doing. Anyway, it was tougher than usual this morning, so I promised myself I could walk the rest of the way home if I wanted to after I hit 24k. And I actually walked the last 1/2km home. Oh, and the Plains of Abraham are badly miss-named. They are really the darn tough hills of Abraham. I'm laughing that the race I ran last week was described as "hilly", yet the 10k I ran on the Plains was described as only "rolling hills", but has more and larger (and constant) hills. I guess what counts as hills depends on where you live.

eadavenp
04-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Here in NY (Syracuse) we have a race called the Mountain Goat (10K) and in Utica, about 50 miles away we have the Boilermaker. Those are some serious hills!

I haven't run since weds. I have to go tommorow or i'll lose my momentum. My 5k is 3 wks from today and i just need to get out there consistently. If i can do 2 miles plus comfortably, i shouldnt have a problem stretching to 3 for a race.

lizzbabe
04-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Well I finished the 5-k in 24:57...not my best, but I'll take it. I'm getting nervous about the 10-k next month because I heard last year's race was the hottest day ever. Ugh, well I definitely won't plan on setting any time records.

AnneWonders
04-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Someone outlasted the dog this morning! Still another hard run, but I'm doing it. 4.1 miles this morning, unstructured run/walk, just under an hour. DH brought the circus with us, DD in baby jogger and both dogs. They had to go home at 2.5. Ha!

Anne

Ilene
04-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Only me -- I'd love to do a duathlon, but there are none around here that I know of ... One of the girls I swim with mentionned that we could make up a team and she would swim, she's really a good swimmer, we would just need to find a biker... Which reminds me that I want to email my g1f to ask if she wants to bike the 20k...

No run for me yet this weekend, it's been pouring yesterday and today... it's such a dull day and I feel totally lazy!!

eadavenp
04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
f the rain, i got out there and did something today! I'm really proud of myself as i took fewer walking breaks on my way home and did a much longer stretch of running. It looks like the weather will be there all this week so im glad i conquered my "i cant run if it is wet out" thing today!

kookiemonster
04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but what did I do today? yep, ran my first 10k race!! I was so nervous before the start but then zoooom! Just running along and the first 2k then 5k then 8k flew by and then it was the end! It was so much fun and even easier than some of the training runs I've done! Hills? pshh you mean that bump in the road? lol I get my time tommorow because I didn't have a watch but I think it was around an 65 min.:carrot:

Oh and something really silly I did was wear a *brand new* pair of shoes >< , but I really couldn't help it, I put on my regular runners this morning and couldn't even walk in them they hurt my feet so much.. I guess its not a good way to break shoes in but my feet are really happy and blister-free now anyway. :)

Only Me
04-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Ilene, check and see if any of these are near you.
http://somersault.ca/calendar.htm

kookiemonster, CONGRATULATIONS on your first 10k race. I so know what you mean about the actual race being easier than the training runs sometimes.

Today's a rainy day off for me. Yesterday was just over 8k at projected marathon pace. I was lucky enough that the rain held out until the afternoon. I even managed to dry a load of clothes outside in the morning. I haven't even finished my next half and I'm already planning/training for the end of August. I must be crazy. Today's exercise will be furniture moving as we clear out an empty apartment for new tenants. At least my basement is slowly getting furnished for free. Even if it's not the furniture I'd choose for myself. Then floor, kitchen and bathroom cleaning.

YP1
04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I ran somewhere between 12.3 and 12.5 miles before work this morning :faint: I didn't get up early just to run, but I had to drop my mother off at the train station which left me with a couple of hours to kill before I needed to get ready for work, so I ran up the canal towpath for just under an hour, turned round and ran back. I couldn't believe how cold it was after a lovely spring weekend, my fingers could hardly move at one point they were so cold, but it started getting a bit warmer towards the end. It was lovely and peaceful at that time though!

Ilene
04-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Only me -- Those duathlon are very close Ottawa is only an hour away!

Ilene
04-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Kookie -- Congrats on the 10k race !!

BTW I am doing a 5k for MS this Saturday with my running group...

Lucky13
04-25-2006, 02:29 PM
I got in a 5 miler last night - I was only going to do 4 but I managed to squeeze in another one (while watching '24' of course!)

Tonight will be a 3.5 miler...

eadavenp
04-25-2006, 03:50 PM
I am so impressed by all you mega distance (to me) runners... I cant wait until i am that fit! I have had a bad day of munchies (day off of school plus pms = snackiness) My plan for the rest of the day is to get in my run (in bout 10 minutes) have soup and some brocoli for dinner, and then go work in the art studio for at least two hours (so i'll be away from the pantry!).

ETA: no workout for me today, and no stopping the munchies either. i feel so crummy when i get like this because i feel totally out of control and bad. I get sort of scared to go out and run and i cant really identify why, but it breaks my heart.

YP1
04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I managed 5k this morning, I'm hoping for closer to 5 miles tomorrow.

Ilene
04-25-2006, 11:48 PM
I must confess I didn't run this afternoon, I came home and fell asleep on the couch, I'm having one of those weeks, I had such an active and good week last week... I hate when this happens, maybe it's the weather, can we blame our laziness on the weather??

Only Me
04-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Yesterday I ran 8k, with 5k as a progression run. I warmed up for 1k, ran 1k@marathon pace, 1k@half marathon pace, 1k@10mile pace, 1k@10k pace, and 1k@5k pace. Then I ran the rest of the way home at an easy pace. The run started out feeling easy, but it was a challenge to keep increasing my pace slightly every 5 minutes or so. Next time I do that I'll add in 1k@30k pace, just to make it a more gradual speed increase. I figure it's a good way to teach myself to run faster when my legs are already somewhat tired, without hurting me the next day. Also a good way to learn what the different paces feel like in comparison to each other.

No running for me today. I was out grocery shopping and making plans to get some soil for the backyard so I can have a lawn finally. Then feeding the kids lunch. Now my dd's are both napping (a very rare moment, so I must document it), it's threatening to rain, and the winds are 40km/h gusting to 65km/h, so I think even a short jog later with the girls in the stroller is unlikely.

YP1
04-26-2006, 03:19 PM
I managed to squeeze in just under 6 miles this morning, which I was very proud of - partcularly as I ran outside again. I've gone from only running on the treadmill to ignoring it more and more often - of over 20 miles so far this week I've only done 3 on the treadmill, and will be doing another 10 or so outside before Sunday.

Lucky13
04-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I got in 3.5 last night, followed by weights and abs.

Since I've gained a little weight back (9 pounds), I don't seem to be feeling as good during my runs as I used to...not sure why - I think once the weight starts to come off again I will be a better runner. Plus, i'm lifting weights now and I think that is making me a little more tired. I'm just not used to it yet.

It's amazing what happens to our bodies (well, mine at least - lol) when we are used to running 5 days/week with a long run of 10 or 11 miles to only running 3 days/week with long runs of 6 or 7...of course - between my 5 day/week workouts and my 3 day/week workouts I had about 2 weeks where I wasn't interested in running or working out - at all!!

eadavenp
04-26-2006, 07:46 PM
well, on the plus side, i got out there and ran. on the minus side, it was one of the crummiest, hardest runs i have done for a while. Even my run on sunday in the drizzly yuck was more satisfying! If you have ever had to pee while running (and im sure you have) you know how unpleasant that can be... then i developed a side stitch, so i stopped at a building on campus and peed. Then when i went back to running again, i stumbled a bit on some cracked, uneven sidewalk, and managed to not quite turn my ankle, just roll it enough to be uncomfortable. I ran walked the rest of the way home (a little more than half a mile) but man was it lousy. To be fair, it felt sort of lousy before i turned my ankle, but at least now i have a reason to complain besides just being in not as great of shape as i would like (but not bad shape, cause hey, i did run about 2.2 miles altogether)

YP1
04-27-2006, 02:37 AM
I've just been out for a sneaky 5.30am 3.7 miler so that I could fit something in before the early train to London for work. I think it's fair to say I'm definitely past the point of no return with my running!

AnneWonders
04-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Did a fun 2.9 mi run this morning. It was a trail run in the desert with a friend instead of my usual solo road run. Very hilly, but my pace was pretty good.

Keep swimming Ilene! Doing a relay or a duathlon are good steps--do them, but you've been talking about the tri since I've been on these boards. You'll get there eventually.

eadavenp--good for you. Those are the hardest runs to do, and you were very strong.

Anne

Ilene
04-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Anne!

This morning I did a 5k for MS and my time was 30:49, pretty good for me :D...

AnneWonders
04-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I ran/walked my hilly 6.2 mi (10K!) loop this morning. Ran probably 2/3 of the time which is about 3/4 the distance for me. Total time was 1h 29m, right on my usual 15 min/mile run/walk combined pace. I had a long, strong bike yesterday and today I was tired. This is my longest run since I got pregnant last year!

There was a bike race on the route and it was fun to cheer for the racers.

Where is everybody? You guys are usually running circles around me.

Anne

YP1
04-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm here! I did a 10k race today and finished in 47:45 which was far faster than I'd hoped. I'd been aiming for sub 50, but didn't expect to get over 2 minutes under. I got to the 5k mark in 23 minutes which is my fastest ever 5k, then stuck to my pre-race target pace for the rest. Apparently the first half was faster than the second for pretty much everyone, so it wasn't just me going off too fast!

I'm so pleased with that!

Ilene
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Question for you veteran runners ... How do you know your "race pace"... do you find this out through doing many races? or because you have a watch "thingie" ( I can't remember the name of those watches :lol: ) on your wrists? I'm confused when you gals start talking about your race paces :shrug:

YP1
04-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I just work it out from my stopwatch and the distance markers en route. I have a vague target in my head, and if I get to 4km (for example) 2 minutes under what I'd aimed for, I know I need to ease up a bit to avoid running out of steam later. When I'm on the treadmill it's easier, and if I had a speed/distance monitor it would be fine, other it's just a case of knowing how far I've gone with markers or because I know the route, and working it out from there.

Ilene
04-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks for that explanation Helen...

eadavenp
05-01-2006, 08:33 PM
i'm having runners guilt. I planned on running tonight and wound up eating myself sick. I tried to run on saturday, went 1/3 of a mile and wound up crying and went home. I have a lot of anxiety about my body and about people looking at me and i was convinced people would see me and think i looked stupid or bad or whatever. I have a 5 k in 14 days and i am barely getting in two runs a week. I feel like im going to be a total failure at my run and after trying so hard to get "into" running and get it so i liked it enough that it would outwiegh my image concerns and raising almost 4 gs in money for cancer research, im going to be a slow, fat failure when i have my race. I want to run now but i already feel sick and know if i do run, i'll vomit (ick).

Lucky13
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Eadavenp - I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I've been there before too...

Here is what helps me: when I am running in a group of people and a majority of them are much smaller than me it makes me feel awesome when I run right by them, leaving them in the dust. Smaller, "better bodied" people doesn't necessarily mean fitter.

About 7 or 8 years ago when i was playing on the fastpitch softball team in college, I was definitely the biggest girl on the team (I was about 25+ pounds heavier than I am now). But, I would run about 3 miles on our off days to try to lose weight (wasn't very successful back then - lol). One of my teammates (she's a tiny little thing but could bench press her body weight) told me that I was her inspiration for running - me! This was because when she felt tired and wanted to quit her run, she would tell herself, "Emily would keep going. Emily wouldn't quit this run"...let me tell you, that made me feel very good about myself. So, even though you may think that you are having a horrible day or people are judging you, there are even more people out there who are very impressed with what you are accomplishing.

Have you tried running first thing in the morning? that way, you don't have a chance to 'eat yourself out of a run' and you get it out of the way before your day even begins.

Hang in there! It will definitely get better.

Lucky13
05-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Didn't get in a run last night b/c I ran for 4 days in a row. Need to get in a long run (5, hopefully 6 miles) tonight!!

:)

YP1
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
I ran 9.1 miles before work this morning. I woke up early and it was a lovely morning so ended up doing than my target of 5 - 6 miles. Still, I won't be able to get any long runs in at the weekend for the next two weekends so it gave me another long one before my next half marathon.

Ilene
05-03-2006, 11:16 PM
YP1-- 9.1 miles before work!! Awesome!!

Just started the May thread... see yous there!! :D