South Beach Diet - The Wine Appreciation Thread!

View Full Version : The Wine Appreciation Thread!

pearshape
04-01-2006, 10:21 AM
OK, I'm starting another wine thread. Since wine in moderation is fine for the SBD (P2) I thought we could all share our wine preferences and whatever. It seems fitting to do it on the start of the weekend. I just want to know how often/much you gals drink wine and what types you like. I usually have a glass every other night or so. I'm a light weight when it comes to alcohol but Dr. A said one or two glasses with a meal is fine. One thing I really like about wines is that when tasting a wine it really puts you in tune with your senses and your body when you pay attention to exactly what you're tasting. It's really interesting. But I'm new to wines and so far I really like the following wines:

Reds:
-Beaujolais (all I've tried): It's light and fruity without being sweet. My fav red.
-Merlot: depending on the brand can be really good
-Cabernet Sauvignon: again, depends on the brand
-Malbec: tried a few and really liked them
-Chianti: like the little I've tried so far
Plus I've tried lots of blends of different wines and like them a lot.

Whites:
-Viognier: my favorite white so far. it's creamy and fruity tasting and refreshign but not too tart and not sweet
-Sauvignon Blanc: depends on the brands, but it's ok
-Chardonnay: haven't tried it yet but I have a bottle and will try it soon.

amelie77
04-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I am so glad you started this thread! I tried to ask this question a couple of days ago, and didn't get much response! I love wine, and would love ideas on different ones to try. I am a fan of chardonnay, and I discovered while eating out one night a merlot and cabrenet blend that I really enjoyed. Since, I have also tried a merlot shiraz blend and enjoyed it too. Over Christmas, my husband guard unit had a wine tasting event, and quite honestly, I didn't find a wine I didn't like!

milkseat
04-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone! I like wine too. In fact, it's about the only alcohol I like. I'm partial to white wines and I have developed a taste for pinot grigio. It's my favorite. The last brand that I tried was Voyage or Vonage, something like that and it was good. The other whites I've enjoyed are the Austalian chardonnay. Red wines that I like are Shiraz and Pinot Noir. Most other reds seem too dry and heavy. I'll be trying some of the flavors that you guys listed!

Geekchicalways
04-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I am a huge wine fan.. I'd use the word "buff" but I haven't learned enough. :lol: . If you ever get the chance to try it, Plum wine is amazing. It's a little on the sweet side and very strong but it's a great dessert wine. Rice wine is also wonderful (this is the "warm Sake" you'll get at sushi places and such). It's a little harsh but it's an aquired taste. I love it because it goes well with fish or meats.

For reds, I am a big merlot fan. Whites I don't know much about. But I do enjoy Pinot Grigio.

I hope this thread keeps going, I'll go find some brand names to share!

cottagebythesea
04-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I was raised on Chianti :D , so that's still a big favorite of mine, and I love a good Merlot, and Lambrusco. As for white wines, I enjoy a good white Zinfandel, and especially a nice "blush" Zinfandel.

As a product fo the "hippie generation", there was nothing compared to good old "Boone's Farm Strawberry Fields" and "Mateus Rose". Do they still make them?

pearshape
04-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Cottage, I've heard about Lambrusco. I haven't seen it anywhere though. I'll have to keep my eye on it. Is it similar to Beaujolais?

Kelly J
04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
oooh, one of my favorite subjects :D

Overall, I drink merlot and shiraz the most, but a few weeks ago I had Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon and now it's my new fav. Goes really well with food, and really well on it's own ;)

For brands I like most of the Yellow Tails and Jackaroo's. Tisdale makes a good shiraz. Hazlitt Red Cat is awesome too - that one might only be available locally, though.

I'm looking forward to everyone's recs.

cottagebythesea
04-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Pearsy, re your question about lambrusco, it's a semi-sweet wine, and now you can get it in a red (my favorite), or a blush. I've never tried a Beaujolais, so I can't compare. Reunite makes a good one to try.

SarahinBalance
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
The beaujolais is a lot lighter than Labrusco. Beaujolais is a "new wine" meaning it doesn't really age and in fact the older it gets the worse it tastes. I was living in France for a while and the first time I bought Beaujolais the bottle was like 3 years old.. I couldn't understand why it tasted so bad till my buddies explained it to me. My boyfriend buys the Riunite Lambrusco and it's a tad on the sweet side for me, but is a good "dessert."

My favorite wine is an organic white called Vida Organica. It's about 8 dollars a bottle and actually has a screw top cap. I buy it at a natural food store called Sun Harvest which was recently bought out by Wild Oats (so I'm thinking they might have the brand at Wild Oats stores). It's a nice light white with a fruity flavor. Also really like Monkey Bay which is a really nice fruity white as well.

amelie77
04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I, too, enjoy the yellow tail brand. It is inexpensive, but tasty. The carry the blends that I enjoy (my fav. is the shiraz merlot blend).

mama.dragon
04-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Now I want a glass of wine. You people are bad. I have to wait until monday to talk to the pharmacist to see just how bad it is with my meds.

beachgal
04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Have you chicks tried Red Truck? They make a wonderful red...I'm forgetting what type it is, though. :o

Also...did Shiraz start in Australia or did it just do very well there? I was wondering that this weekend... :chin:

Stephanie Osborne
04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I am spoiled I live next to a winery. The have this apple wine that is only 8 percent alcohol that is to die for.

pearshape
04-05-2006, 09:23 PM
I've seen Red Truck everywhere. I'll have to pick up (pardon the pun :lol: ) a bottle ASAP! :)

And I don't think Shiraz started in Australia. They just do well with the grape. It's called Shirah elsewhere in the world.

BTW, have any of you been to the Wine Shop by Whole Foods? They have great reasonable wines lots in the $9-$15 dollar range. I'm trying a Chardonnay right now. Not a typical one (or so I've been told) cause it's very light and fruity but not as tart as a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. Very good!

weezle
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm all about Lambrusco and Yellow Tail Merlot. It's just that most of the time, I can't justify wasting 90 calories on 4 oz of wine. If I'm eating out, that's one thing, but I can't keep it in the house. I'd go through half a bottle a night. I can keep beer in the house and be just fine, it won't get touched for months. Not wine though. Too tasty.

Schatzi
04-06-2006, 10:13 AM
We love wine so much that we went to Wine School at the local winery where for about 4 years we made our own at the winery.. ( www.grapeexpectationsnj.com) Everything from selecting the grapes, crushing, punching, learning about PHs and yeast types, straining, racking,bottling, barrel selection and most importantly tasting :hat: We have about 25 cases of all kinds as a result!
We "specialized" in red wines-- my favorites are blends like
Meritages - cab/merlot/cab franc - claret/ Bordeauxs
Cab/Merlots
My "love" is Chateuneuf du pape a complex wine of about 5 different grapes
and Triovinos of Barberra, Sangeovese, and Treibbiano .. oh and a nice Chile Malbec blend.

We give away alot of it for holiday gifts, etc.. at first folks are a little leery of it thinking it's made in a basement and taste like white lightning -- they dont believe its home made hooch :lol3: after trying it.

beachgal
04-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Schatzi, that's awesome!!! :wizard: You are amazing!

I had some wonderful homemade zinfandel (not white...it was dark red and yummy! :T) this past weekend at our retreat. One of the women brought several bottles of wine that her husband makes. Really good!

Thanks for the ideas...I've had good success trying different mixes of wines. There's a wine here called "Eclipse" made by Heron Hill Winery (a local winery). They have a white and a red, and both are mixes of three different kinds of grapes. The bottles are gorgeous, too...the red wine one is a black bottle with light yellow/white stars and a crescent moon.

beachgal
04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
Oooh, I learned something new by reading a wine article in Cooking Light! :idea:

Shiraz only shows up in Australia because that's the Australian name for Syrah! Same wine, different name. It's called Syrah everywhere else, apparently.

Anyone found any great wines recently?

samra1962
04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
I am new here so I cant wait for phase 2!!! Started Sunday, so far so good. I do love wine and some of my favs are red: merlot and shiraz-white: pinot grigio and chardonnay- I like vineyards from Australia, very good and inexpensive, i.e.- "Alice White" is a good label.;)

Ruthxxx
04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
:welcome: Samra1962. Wine is one of the great treasures of life. I like Australian wines too although we now produce very good wines here in Ontario. I don't know if we export much to the USA but Pelee Wineries and any of the Niagara ones are excellent.

pearshape
04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
The other day I had an inexpensive red by Jacob's Creek. It's a Grenache Shiraz blend. It was really good and about $8-$9. I'll definitely buy it again.

Schatzi
04-26-2006, 02:11 PM
oooh, we had a Da Vinci Chianti last night... This one is a straight Sagiovese .. I was looking for a Chianti we had at an Italian restaurant the other week... It was DaVinci brand, but had Merlot-Syrah grapes in addition to Sangiovese... but this one was excellent! Not a real heavy bodied one, and very smooth... it was $12.

ocean_waves
04-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Great thread!

I'm a wine lover too, and like Samra1962 I'm patiently awaiting Phase 2!

My favorite reds:
Pinot Noir (Mark West makes a great, affordable Pinot - around $10/bottle)
Zinfandel (Ravenswood makes a great one)
Cabernet Sauvignon
I also love Red Truck - it's a blend of several different reds - I think the label reads "California Table Wine"...

My favorite whites:
Pinot Gris (particularly Adelsheim Winery)
Sancerre
Orvieto (super, super light)

Yum... now I'm thirsty!

weezle
04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm very tempted. I may have to buy a bottle of Lambrusco before the end of the week, because I had one Sunday at the Olive Garden (hush. I know.) and it was soooooooooooo good. If I'm going Ph1 next week, I can't have any alcohol at all. STOP TALKING ABOUT WINE.:D

Goodbye Chubby
04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not a South Beach Dieter, but I do enjoy wine so I hope you don't mind me posting.

For reds, I like Chianti; one of my favorites is "Castiglioni" Frescobaldi 2002

For whites, I enjoy Reisling, especially on a hot day. Evolution is a blend that is very similar to Reisling, but it's pretty light and not too much like a desert wine.

I rented a video not too long ago, John Cleese's Wine for the Confused that I felt was informative and entertaining for the beginner as well as the seasoned sommelier. There's a part where a bunch of people have to try to differentiate between different wines from a wide price range (I think it ranged from $10 to the hundreds of dollars) and try to guess which wines were cheaper or more expensive judging only by taste. It was interesting to see the results.

Schatzi
04-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Chubby! Yes that movie was as educational as amusing! I agree, a nice light crisp white on those hot days is delish.. I like California Blancs ... a nice blend of French Columbard, Chenin Blanc & Muscat ... I'm not much of a sweet wine /dessert drinker.. I've yet to find a Suaterne or a Port that I like ... :( Maybe I'll try "evolution"...is that a label for a Reisling?

pearshape
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm with Schatzi, I can't stand sweet wines now. It's weird that just at christmas I was drinking strawberry Arbor Mist :lol: ! Now I can't even stomach a white merlot. But from what I've read most wine drinkers start cold, sweet, and cheap and then their palates adjust and prefer the real stuff. Now I like red and dry....but still cheap :D ! I got a subscription to Winespectator.com and they have so many good value wines that score higher or as good as the expensive wines. The most I've ever spent on wine is about $20 but usually its $10-$15. There are plenty of decent wines at that price. Can't wait for my redo of P1 to be over!!

Bunnababy
04-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I love Merlot, then Sauv Blanc, then a really good buttery Chard, and lots of others too. Okay, so I love good wine. I stick pretty much with the locals as Oregon is doing some really good wines now and so is Washington. My favorite Merlot is Russell Creek out of Walla Walla, Wa, a bit spendy but worth every penny. I still have a week to go before I cork anything for me. I will just have to live vicariously through my customers for another week. ;)

beachgal
05-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Oooh, Red Truck is definitely good. :T

If you like Rieslings, let me put in a recommendation for Finger Lakes (NY) Rieslings...they are among the best in the world. :D Dr. Frank's Riesling is quite good, as is the one from Hazlitt 1864.

We tried Smoking Loon's Merlot two nights ago. It was really good and fairly inexpensive.

I still like white wine, but I've really grown to love red, which I never did before. Sheesh...before SBD, I would have gladly had ice wine with dinner! ;) The sweeter the better... now I have a much broader idea of what good wine tastes like. ;)

Thanks for the great recommends, chicas! :cheers: