LA Weight Loss - Fav Foods/Brands

View Full Version : Fav Foods/Brands

dolphn545
03-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Maybe there's another post similar to this one, but I thought I went through everything and didn't see one. If it's a duplicate, I apologize in advance.

What are some "Must Haves" when you go shopping, foods you cannot live without that help you to stay on plan? I'm looking for new variety and welcome everybody's suggestions. Snacks, healthy, whatever.

Also, if anybody has FF yogurt that they buy that's less than 110 calories, which brand/flavors, etc. I have yoplait light, and I thought there was another one out there with less calories. :?:

Thanks in advance!
:thanks:

deetsmom
03-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I dont know if you have the store "Stop&Shop" locally, but their nonfat yogurt is 8oz, 100 cals and VERY rich

Dr Praeggers veggie burgers
rice cakes
Better n Peaut Butter peanut butter spread (85% less fat)
Cabot 50% light cheddar
Galaxy Granola (85 cals for 1/2c, 1.5 g fat)
Luna Bars
Kashi Go Lean Crunch bars
Gnu Bars
just a few off hand...

angel-eyes
03-31-2006, 06:42 PM
okay, my must haves are....

Hunts fat free choc. pudding
Bordens 2% sharp cheese slices
Quaker "q smart" peanut butter granola type bars (+protein, -carbs)
Stacies 'sweet bbq' soy crisps (+protein, -carbs)
fat free cottage cheese
la tortillia brand, flour wraps (high fibre, - carbs)
Healthy choice whole wheat, fat free bread (2 slices=70 cal)
LaPrairie fat free yogourt (90 or 100 cal for 8 oz..with splenda)
Mount Olive no sugar added, bread and butter pickles (with splenda)
Boca Burgers.....cheeseburger, chick'n burger**love Boca**
Tyson breaded chicken breast
Hoods fat free carbcountdown milk
No sugar added, hot chocolate mix
Coffee Mate Creamer, french vanilla (splenda, no carbs)
South Beach 'chocolate' granola type bar (tastes like choc. rice krispies)

All most all of these have good amts of protein vs carbs and are low in calories. I use the boca burgers also because of the higer soy protein (menopause stuff) and lower fat content than reg. beef. Flavour and taste are really high on my list.....no crunchy cardboard for me!! HOpe this is helpfull.......oh!!! I just noticed I surfed upon LA weightloss posts, hmmm not sure if all the above would be okay for you.

Repo girl
03-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Pitas
Laughing Cow lite cheese
Cabot 50% lite cheese
Mini bagels
eggs
baby carrots
frozen berries
FF cool whip
SF Hersheys syrup
ground turkey
chicken breast
Tons of produce, fresh and frozen
FF creamer
Yummy tea flavors
Ice Breakers sours
SF gum

deetsmom
03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
god help me if I forget the gum...my newest addiction...

Repo girl
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Oh, I forgot a few-
Butter Spray
FF Cream Cheese
SF jam
Low carb tortilla wraps

Repo girl
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Geez, how could I forget honey mustard?

rad7775
03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Well lets see:
Yoplait thick and creamy yogurt
Grapes
Cream cheese (light and regular)
Sara Lee mini bagels
LAWL Cheese curls or BBQ Twists
BBQ sauce
Sorry but I have to say Plantains, my latino roots are involved in this one
Coffee creamer, hazelnut
Splenda
Cheese strings
Light bread
FF dressings
Lean Cuisine meals (love them)

Wow I haven't realize how much stuff I need to have in my pantry. :)

merem
03-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Dolphn, Thanks for the great post topic. I needed some ideas for myself. Everyone's ideas should help a lot.

lak_55119
03-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Dannon lite n fit vanillia yogurt 80 calories
sugar free lifesavers
grapes
sugarfree marmalade
frozen berries from sams club
Seeds of Change Balsmic vinagerette
mini bagels
sugarfree jello
sugar free cool whip
ff strawberry cream cheese

lak_55119
03-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Katie what brand of tea and what flavors?

juliemarie
03-31-2006, 09:35 PM
minibagels-although my store has been out of them for 3 weeks!!!!
fake eggbeates
shredded reduced fat chedder cheese
rye-crisp
bananas-I don't care if they're limited!
whole-wheat pita pockets
WW pepperoni pizza
lean cuisines
Trader Joe's reduced fat cheese curls (1 oz is basically the same as the LA brand)
sugarfree jello

deetsmom
03-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Trader Joe's reduced fat cheese curls (1 oz is basically the same as the LA brand)
sugarfree jello

The new Doritos and Cheetos 100 cal packs are identical to the LA snacks...actually, they have less sodium as well.:smug:

juliemarie
03-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah-the baked cheetos are good too-but i prefer the taste of the trader joe's brand. Basically, all of the baked chips are quite good, but I try to limit them to social situations so I don't feel deprived. I try not to keep them at home, because there's still a part of me that wants to curl up on the couch with a good book and an entire bag of chips. I wish that part of me would curl up and die!

Bobby18
03-31-2006, 10:00 PM
My list is quite short:

Source ff vanilla yogurt (90 calories / 1/2 cup)
Pineapple
Gala apples
LF medium cheddar cheese

It's weird, but my favorite foods right now are 1/2 cup Source vanilla yogurt with 1/2 cup pineapple mixed in and eating my apples with cheese (all in the same bite). I really hope I don't grow out of liking these - they are such good, healthy choices.

angel-eyes
04-01-2006, 12:15 AM
oh yeah......LOVE gala apples sliced and dipped in peanut butter. YUM YUM...

Misti in Seattle
04-01-2006, 01:17 AM
It's weird, but my favorite foods right now are 1/2 cup Source vanilla yogurt with 1/2 cup pineapple mixed in and eating my apples with cheese (all in the same bite). I really hope I don't grow out of liking these - they are such good, healthy choices.

Now THERE is progress! :) Isn't it GREAT when you start THINKING that way? Congratulations; I am proud of you!!:carrot:

dolphn545
04-01-2006, 07:29 AM
:thanks: Thanks for all the great ideas so far! I really appreciate them, and it will make shopping a little easier (with variety!)

pinkflamingo68
04-01-2006, 07:59 AM
What I try to keep On Hand: GREAT IDEA!!!

Ground turkey breast
White fish or salmon frozen fillets
FF Sour Cream
Salsa (lower sodium, for taco salad)
Apples
Plums
Pears
Pam
Zucchini
Jar of low-sodium tomato sauce in fridge (for mini pizzas)
Assortment of LF/LS cheeses (check health food store for best veriety)
Whole wheat english muffins
Kashi Cereal
Splenda
Mrs. Dash in lots of flavors
Fruit
Salad stuff
Canned LS tuna
Pita or english muffins - whole wheat

Wow-sorry so long!

Ange

Repo girl
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Sherry- Try apple slices spread with Laughing Cow lite cheese. It is unreal!!

dolphn545
04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Apples & Cheese, hmmmm. Not quite sure about that one yet. That and apples with peanut butter.

Bobby18
04-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks Misti - it's amazing what combinations you can find. I would've never thought of combining either of those, but some ladies at work were eating it for lunch. I thought, weird, but I'll give it a try - haven't looked back since!

angel-eyes
04-01-2006, 10:22 AM
hehe....I thought the same thing too!! How strange....apples and pbutter? I can't imagine NOT having it now. And sooo healthy also. I had my cholesterol tests done awhile ago and my most improved reading was raising my HDL (good fat) and when my dr. asked what I was doing,....and I mentioned more pbutter/apples....she said...Keep doing it!! Nuts and nut butters have so much healthy monounsaturated fat (yes, I know FAT is fat) but this is the good one.

stiesta
04-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I can't imagine anyone who's never had apples and PB together?? :D Have you all tried PB and bananas together...seriously the best! YUM

dolphn545
04-01-2006, 02:42 PM
The pb & bananas, well, that's another thing I've only *thought* about but haven't been brave enough to try yet.

rad7775
04-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Christie:
My DH love PB and bananas sandwiches!!

Boo'sMom
04-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I've said this before but my all time favorite "treat" but still OP is sauteed apples. Cut up an apple, sautee in butter spray or Pam (or both--I like a lot of juicy stuff), when almost done add some Splenda brown sugar and cinnamon, I let it go a while to caramelize, then top with FF cool whip (I let mine melt so it's all juicy/saucy in the bowl. Sooo good. I really shouldn't do this to myslef on TO!!

dolphn545
04-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Boo - I've been having an unsauteed cinamon apple. Core & slice, spray butter spray, sprinkle cinnamon, sometimes 1/2 packet of splenda. Micro for 2 minutes and top with FF cool whip. (Frozen, and it kind of melts over it, like ice cream!!)

Boo'sMom
04-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Ohhh--that sounds good, too. I am a huge desert fan so I feel like I am really having my sweets.

dolphn545
04-01-2006, 03:20 PM
It works, especially while the kids are sitting there with their big bowls of ice cream. I can eat FF cool whip straight out of the container, frozen or not.

stiesta
04-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Christie:
My DH love PB and bananas sandwiches!!

ME TOO!!!!! I had no idea there were so many out there who'd never had it...it's well worth the starch, fat, protein, fruit and whatever else you count it as...PB&B sandwiches are the bomb :ink:

hkychik
04-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh boy, some great ideas here - I'll add my gotta haves in:

RF peanut butter - it goes on apples, carrots, bagels, english muffins....
pitas
english muffin
mini bagels
laughing cow garlic and herb (is this the flavor you put on apples, Katie? I've only had cheddar with my apples)
chicken breast
cucumbers
lettuce
cilantro, roma tomatoes, onions, lime for fresh pico de gallo
garlic
apples
pineapple
ff cool whip
sf jello
frozen berries
fruit juice

rad7775
04-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh I forgot, Crystal light fruit punch flavor for the kids and Ruby grapefruit forme and DH.

Misti in Seattle
04-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Cinnamon apple sounds yummy! Since I generally don't do artificial sweeteners I would do it without or a tiny bit of brown sugar.. but wow sounds GREAT. I copied this to my recipe files

marbear
04-01-2006, 10:55 PM
1 percent milk (so much more satisfying, worth the extra 10 cals per day)
Peanut butter (I can't do reduced fat because they are too sugary, but reg is 10 cal more and since I eat it once a week I think it's ok). I'm a JIF girl...

Bananas
Instant coffee crystals (for coffee and granitas)
Walmart half and half (cheaper and tastes like Land O Lakes ff creamer...less cals)
Sweetener
Whole Wheat Pitas (MUST HAVE)
Cabot 75 percent light cheddar or light mozzarella
Fresh Basil
Fresh Cilantro
Hellman's light mayo
Chicken of Sea canned oysters
Spices (use cumin, garlic, chili powder, minced onions...a lot)

New favorite: I buy the cheap 93/7 ground turkey and add my own spices to make Italian Sausage...Hubby loves it: You can make up a big batch and freeze it in meatball portions or in hunks for browning.

2 lbs ground turkey
1.5 teaspoons fennel (yhou need to toast and crush somewhat to release flabor)
1.5 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons morton's lite salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil or parsley if you like
Mix and let it sit for a few hours to marry the flavors then cook or separate into portions and freeze. It makes it a lot easier for me to endure ground turkey

Anyway, this is a new staple for my freezer.

rad7775
04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Mary:
That sausage recipe sounds good!:hun: I am gonna do it on my DH day off b/c he loves italian sausage. How do you count the servings?

marbear
04-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Milca, it counts exactly as the plain ground turkey would. 98 percent fat free would be 6 oz raw, but I buy the 93 percent fat free and count it like beef. I don't know if that is right or not, but I just don't want to pay double for the 98 percent lean when the 93 percent is healthy, too. I did my fennel by food proccessor b/c I was too lazy and weak to crush it ;)

rad7775
04-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Thank you Mary!! :high:

aprilmartwick01
05-19-2011, 01:50 PM
The new Doritos and Cheetos 100 cal packs are identical to the LA snacks...actually, they have less sodium as well.:smug:

how do u count them

juliemarie
05-19-2011, 02:27 PM
1 starch. But don't use them too often as they are one of the higher calories starch servings . . .