Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #1  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Default ? for maintainers

I have a question and I thought I would ask people who have already been there done that. Ok, as you can see I have lost a good amount of weight myself, I was down to 156 but packed on a few I noticed though that when I was that weight it was like WHOA hard getting the scale to move anymore.

Im in no way shape nor form a low carb gal. I dont eat simple carbs though. I eat carbs like oats, fruits, geniune whole wheat stuff, sweet potato. My question is, did you ever cut carbs to lose weight? I dont do it because its not realistic for me I doubt I could give up carbs forever,Imma carb lover I guess, but I was wondering why I was working my butt off and eatting good foods, and not over eatting why I couldnt get my weight to GO DOWN. Any insight would be great
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Nope, never cut any healthy food out of my diet.

When I decided to change my life to be healthier, I knew I needed something I could stick to forever. I took the foods I normally ate and looked at ways to make them healthier. I ate a ton of pasta, curries over rice, quesadillas, stir fry over rice, tacos. I still eat all those things, I just eat healthier versions.

Cook with olive oil, cut back on the cheese (and switch to lower fat), eat more vegetables, switch from white rice to brown rice, white flour tortillas to whole wheat tortillas, white pasta to whole grain pasta. I used to eat cold, sugary breakfast cereals, now I eat oatmeal with dried fruit. I eat sweet potatoes not white potatoes, I carefully read whole grain bread labels to ensure I pick the bread with the most fiber per serving. I used to eat a big plate of pasta with a little tomato sauce, now I eat a smaller serving of whole wheat pasta with a ton of healthy tomato sauce. I add spinach leaves to practically everything.

Carbs are a big part of how I like to eat - no way I could give them up. I just make healthy choices as much as possible.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

I've lost about 125 pounds, and I've never put any emphasis on cutting carbs. Personally, I like bread and cereal way too much for that. Instead, I focused on calorie counting. I did cut out processed carbs like white bread, though (but it sounds like you've already done that).

I will say, though, that I have recently gotten into the South Beach diet brand of packaged foods. Their protein bars and frozen pizzas are pretty tasty. The fact that they're low carb isn't really of concern to me.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #4  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Yeah I havent eatten any "white" carbs in forever, even my sugar isnt white anymore. I think I just wanted to hear that it wasnt me eatting carbs, because I looove cereal ( high fiber, low fat, no high fructose corn syrup) I love oatmeal too. Most importantly I love fruit which is filled with carbs, I think I would literally wither away without carbs and then i would break and blow up again. lol
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:33 PM   #5  
Arrived!

Nope, I've never cut ANY food group out of my diet. I simply count the calories I eat, no matter what type of food they come from, and make sure that I eat no more than I burn every day.

I don't cut out entire food groups because it would be impossible for me to maintain such a change for the rest of my life.

Having said that, many people have found great success cutting carbs, or eliminating refined sugars, etc. It really is all very individual, and the bottom line is to find whatever will work for you in the long term .

Regards,
~Silvervixen
SilverVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #6  
Mel

I cut refined carbs and sugars, but not carbs in general. I pass out without my oatmeal

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #7  

nope, I had to lose the weight eating the foods that I love I just eat less of them. I eat the good carbs, I need the fiber from my fruits to keep me regular if you know what I mean.
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #8  
Cindy

You know, about 7 years ago I had been involved in a huge stressful project at the office and we worked long hours and ate a ton of animal crackers. I mean a ton. I ended up about 10 pounds overweight and felt just miserable. I started to eat right and probably lost 5 pounds and simply wanted the rest gone NOW.

So I bought the Carb Addict's Diet book popular at the time and went on the program. I was so unhungry that I not only cut carbs but didn't eat much either. It was amazing how fast I lost weight, but I know it was fat and muscle at the same time. I got thinner than I have been in forever. My in-laws were sure I was dying and I was really skinny and I mean skinny as in not slim and toned but skinny.

Over the next 2-3 months I started to eat normal healthy carb stuff again and worked out with weights and I'll have to say at that point I probably looked and felt better than I have for a long time.

It was my one and only occasion of going really low-carb and again it was the fad at the time - and I'm not even a fad type dieter at all, so a single experience. I certainly wouldn't recommend it and wouldn't do it again for anything. It never has made sense to me to cut out fruit and oatmeal!
CindyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote