Exercise! - April Walking Challenge

View Full Version : April Walking Challenge

Genesis
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi! I am challenging myself to walk 80 miles in April. Set your own goal and join me in walking our way through April!

Donna72664
03-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Genesis, I'd like to join your challenge for April.I'm going to set my goal for
60 miles,that's how old I'll be in August.I'm looking forward to having a reason to get out there and put one foot in front of the other. Thanks for the push. Good luck to you.Hey where are the rest of you?Lets get going!!!
Have a great weekend, Donna

sassybiscuit
03-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Hello all! I am new here and want to do this. I have been trying to watch what I am eating, but mostly I decided that I would spend 30 minutes on the treadmill per day. I would like to take this challenge! Let's see... I walk about a 1/4 mile in 5 minutes and spend 30 minutes a day, so...

I think that a realistic goal is... 45 miles for my first month.

I AM SO READY!

Michele L
04-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Good morning! I always give myself a monthly challenge, so this will fit right in with what I already do! I had a great March (70.11 miles), but I know that is not normally possible. Spring break enabled me to add more than 22 miles, which is higher than a normal work week. SO......I am going to say 50 miles and if I get more; GREAT!

Happy walking!

Michele :wave:

daeboo
04-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Love to join the walking challenge. I'm new here, so hello to e1. I would like to commit to 30 miles. Christi:D

Firefly
04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I a ending a minutes exercised challange with some other friedns in a week or so. I think I will jmp in on this April one to keep er ging. I average 3 miles sometimes more a day soooo. I think I wil try for 70 miles.

Firefly
04-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Do we update on this thread for this walking challnge

gremlina
04-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I will say about 60 miles for myself this month..

Michele L
04-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm off to a great start with a total of 8 miles this weekend!

Let's keep it going!

Donna72664
04-03-2006, 11:41 AM
:welcome3: Hey I'm so glad to see all of you here.

Sassybiscuit: 45 miles for your first month sounds about right.:goodluck:

Michele L:WOW,70.11 miles in March and you did 8 this weekend!!!! You are
off to a great start:carrot:

Christi:You can do 30!! :o

Firfly::cp: 3 miles a day is super.

Gremlina::yes: Welcome to you from Germany

This is going to be so much fun. Look forward to hearing from all of you.
Let's get walking:cheer:
Donna

sassybiscuit
04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
WHOO-HOO! 7.19 miles down, only 37.81 left. Perhaps I set my goal too low? We'll see!

shoequeen69
04-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd like to join. I really haven't been getting many miles in so I'm just setting a goal of 15 for the month. I have 2.5 in so far.

Donna72664
04-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Good morning everyone,Where did Genesis go?:?:
:welcome2: Shoequeen69: Glad to have you join us.One question? Those aren't the shoes you are going to walk in,:dizzy: are they? You will do just fine. 15 miles is good,we will see if we can't help you get even more.Stay tuned,we'll get you going.
How is everyone else doing? I have managed to get 7.75 miles in so far this week.It is going to be 80 here today so plan to get outside and tear up those sidewalks.
Have a great day! Keep walking:carrot: Donna

Michele L
04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Only did a mile yesterday, but after the 31 elliptical minutes on Monday, that's OK! Planning on at least 2 miles this afternoon. Will check back with results later!

Firefly
04-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Doing ok. I got my two miles in for today. M norm is 3 to 4 miles day. had company. You know you are into it when all you can think of is the tie is getting late to get back o the tredmill. Theres always tomarrow.

Stacey

Michele L
04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm up to 14 miles for the month. Not bad, but I KNOW I can do better! I need to do some longer 4-5 mile workouts or I'll NEVER bust through my plateau!

Let's WALK, WALK, WALK, people!!!!!

ItsJustJan
04-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi! I walk everyday at work and someone there told me I should add all my miles up to see where I'd end up!!! I love the idea and went and made myself a ticker!! I love it!! Now I'll have to see where 1,000 will get me!!!!
I generally walk 10+ miles a week but I'm going to start at zero!!
Jan

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/8;10724;127/c/0/t/1000/u/miles/m/I+will+walk+to+lose%21/k/aa36/exercise.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

Genesis
04-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm so happy to see so many of you here! My computer was giving me trouble, so I wasn't able to get online for over a week!!!! I was having withdrawals! ;)

So far I've walked....

April 1 - 7 miles
April 3 - 3 miles
April 6 - 6 miles
April 8 - 3 miles
April 9 - Planning to walk 8 miles

On Monday I'm headed to Seattle for a business trip for two weeks. I usually slack off on exercise when I'm on the road for work. This time I intentionally booked myself in a hotel that is about 3 miles from where I'll be working during the day and I did NOT get a rental car! I figured this way I would get in 6 miles of walking each day!

Also, one of my colleagues in Seattle has offered to get me a two week pass to her gym. She lives near the hotel I'm staying in and she asked if I'd like to go to the gym with her after work. So between walking and the gym, I may actually get MORE exercise on this business trip than I do at home!

Good luck everybody!!!!

Michele L
04-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I did a quick 10 minutes (.58 mile) on my treadmill this morning before I had to take my daughter to her softball camp. Then I came back and did the 3 mile WATP with 2 pound weights. I have now officially walked more than I did in ALL of 2005!!!!! I'm a little behind where I'd like to be at this point in the month, but I'm energized today, so I'll probably do more later.

Donna72664
04-10-2006, 01:37 PM
:eek: Whoo you guys are leavin me in the dust!! Had to be out of town this weekend for MIL birthday party she was 83.Of course that meant lots of food,
but I did do pretty well in that department,just not any time to walk,unless of course I count all the walking it took in WM to get the food and decorations for the party.What a nightmare that was,Saturday afternoon at 3:00 is NOT a good time to shop.
I did get on the:tread: when I got to work and got in 1 1/2 miles so far.Will stay after work and try to get in at least 2 more.I too decided to count my steps at work,some days it should be pretty high,guess we will find out.
Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Walking is good for the soul,let's give our souls some real good vibes!!!!

Walk to you later! Donna

Firefly
04-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey you all are doing great. isn't nice to see that sun shine. I am doing ok. getting most mine in on the treadmill but. Hay can't complain I am getting it in.

Firefly
04-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I am buymping us. we are getting lost in the pages. Its easter morning I am heading down for at least my 2 miles before the day egins.

HAPPY EASTER

Firefly
04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok I am up to 42 miles If I hit mytwo miles a day min. I will surely make it .

Donna72664
04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
:?: Guess I gave myself too much credit!! I am finding out that there is no way that I can make my goal of walking 2 miles a day for the month of April. I am just not in as good of shape as I thought. I am continuing to walk as much as I can. I hate it that I will be way low of my goal of 60 miles for this month. There is an upside to this though,:yes: it did force me to get out and start walking a lot more and I feel better for it.

I want to thank all of you for the support and I plan to stay right here and watch the rest of you. It is fun reading your posts.

:balloons: CONGRATULATIONS !!! to all of you that participated in this great walking challenge,we have to be better because of it.

From Nebraska "Have a great day! And let's walk"
DONNA

Firefly
04-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I have been making my two miles a day some times 4 So I am on track with my 70 for the end of the month. I am not sure wehre I am right now. But i figured it out the other days I had 13 days left in April. I needed to walk 2.3 miles a day. I know I am well over that. So far so good

Michele L
04-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I've had a slow week this week, but I'm on track to get to my 50 mile goal before the end of the month!

4/16: 1 WATP mile
4/17: 2 WATP miles
4/18: 1 WATP mile
4/19: 1 WATP mile
4/20: 1 WATP mile
4/21: 1 WATP mile
4/22: 3 WATP miles

Happy Saturday!

Genesis
04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
OK - Just got back into town and I plan to go for a walk with my hubby today. I was working non-stop for two weeks, so my ambitious plans for walking and exercise were a bit derailed. But here's about what I did....

In Seattle on Business:
April 10 - 1 mile
April 11 - 3 miles
April 12 - 0.5 miles
April 13 - 0.5 miles
April 14 - 5 miles
April 15 - 1 mile
April 16 - 3 miles
April 17 - 1 mile
April 18 - 1 mile
April 19 - 2 miles
April 21 - 1 mile
April 22 - 1 mile

I was only able to squeeze one decent walk in during my trip to Seattle. Oh well, all I can do now is look forward and try to walk my tail off throughout the rest of April!!!! 

Back home in Florida:
April 23 - Plan to walk 5 miles
April 24 - Plan to walk 5 miles
April 25 - Plan to walk 7 miles

Going to New York for pleasure:
April 26 - TBD
April 27 - TBD
April 29 - TBD
April 30 - TBD

While I'm in NY I hope to A LOT of walking around the city. I'll have to take my pedometer to log how many miles I walk. Starting in May I'm going to really start keeping better track and following a strict walking regimen. My official training schedule for the Breast Cancer 3-Day 60 mile walk begins May 1st and I want to be in top shape for the walk in October!!!!

I plan on starting a May walking challenge as well, so I hope you continue on this walking challenge with me! I know I have not been very good about updating my progress, but between my computer going nuts early in the month and then my 2 week trip to Seattle and my upcoming trip to NY, I haven't had much opportunity to post my progress.

I'll have to total up my month's worth of walking and see how close or how far I am from my goal. And to all of you ladies who feel as if they have "failed" by not attaining their mileage goal....that's a bunch of NONESENSE!!!!! Be proud of yourself for setting the bar high, lacing up your walking shoes and pounding the pavement (or treadmill)!!!! :) Please stay with us as we close in on the end of April and launch a new goal for May!!!

Michele L
04-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I did the 5 Mile Advanced Walk this afternoon with all the boosters!

I met my 50 mile goal, so I've upped it to 60, too!

sassybiscuit
04-23-2006, 08:45 PM
You all are amazing! CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!!!!!

I am doing well, going to meet my 45 for April for sure. I think that May will be a 60 miler! WHOO-HOOO!

Michele L
04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
4/24: I did 1.1 miles on my treadmill (20 minutes)
4/25: I did the original 1 mile WATP with 3 pound weights. Hoping for more this afternoon.

Happy Tuesday!

Michele L
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm at 55+ for the month! I just got back from a two mile walk with a colleague at a local track. We just walked and talked and before we knew it, 2 miles were done! It was a gorgeous, sunny afternoon, so it was great!

Michele L
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
I added another WATP mile this afternoon, since it's sprinkling.

Have a great weekend!

sassybiscuit
04-30-2006, 04:59 PM
WHOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I made it! 45 miles for the month of April! Hope you all are there too!

:carrot: