Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #1  

Default Help! Need Diet Advice...

Hi, just like everyone out there I am wanting to drop some weight and get ready for a trip to Florida at the end of the month...yes, I said at the end of the month. I have gained about 10 lbs. in the last 6 months or so and CANNOT fit into any of my spring clothes from last year. I currently weigh about 140 and would like to get down to 130 asap. I was thinking about doing calorie counting or the South Beach diet, or anything. I defnitely want to stay healthy, any suggestions!?!?! PLEASE HELP!
periwinkle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Big plug for calorie counting vs. South Beach. If you are looking for results for a few weeks go for a fad diet, they will work. It is not sustainable. I think almost anyone that is calorie counting now has tried it other ways. All diets work by lowering your calorie count but for me I can't live with a diet telling me there are certain "off-limit" foods. All foods have their place, you just have to remember you may have to make sacrifices other places for it. Diets like South Beach leave you guessing as to the results. Calorie counting is basic math, you know how much weight you will lose. Whatever plan you end up following make sure it's something long term sustainable and that will keep you healthy. Best of luck!
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #3  

I love South Beach because it makes permanent lifestyle changes so I can maintain my loss. All foods are not healthy. If you want real, permanent results, consider South Beach - or WW Core. Diets do not tell you food are bad - it is up to you to make decision about what you want to eat. I choose not to eat certain foods, simple carbs for one, and I am much healthier than I was. You are not being denied anything - you are making a decision to not have it at this time.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Default Diets

There are no foods that you have to never eat again to lose weight there are just some that you should eat rarely or less often. For me it is not a question of whether or not I am "allowed" to have a food it is a question of whether or not I want to "spend" my allotted calories on them. Very few people that have lost weight and kept it off long term have cut out carbs, it's not long term sustainable, if you want to lose the weight and gain it back again,that's easy, if you want to have something that you can sustain long term and still be able to go out to restaurants or have a small piece of birthday cake at a family gathering etc. without feeling like you are cheating calorie counting is definately a good option. Obviously you will still want to make sur eyou are getting all of your nutrients with low levels of saturated fats etc. but weight loss is a simple scientific principle of energy exchange, calories in vs. calories out, all diets work under this principle. Even low carb, people eventually get tired of eating a limited number of foods and eat less, less intake equals weight loss, doesn't mean your body is getting everything it needs. South Beach is definately a better option than something like Atkins but beware that you will still in the end need to cut calories to lose the weight whether you realize you are doing this or not.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote