South Beach Diet - Veggie Question

View Full Version : Veggie Question

HelloMsKitty
03-29-2006, 10:49 AM
OK I noticed that on the "cheat sheet" it says that you can have a "minimum" of veggies at each meal. Is this REALLY a minimum? As in a requirement that you MUST have this or the plan is ineffective?

I haven't been losing all that much and usually just have egg substitute for breakfast. Is this why?

Ruthxxx
03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
It's best to have veggies at every meal. Um....where is this "cheat sheet"?

jrnyc
03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
It's not that you won't lose weight, it's that SBD intends you to learn a healthy way of eating for the rest of your life and eating 5-9 servings of vegetables a day is indispensable for a healthy nutrition. Plus having all your nutrients will make your body a more efficient "machine".

pearshape
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
The veggies are healthy plus they fill you up. The idea is to fill up on veggies and protein so you wont over do on the good carbs. Some people don't do veggies with b'fast and have them as a snack instead. Also, you should eat a substantial b'fast, more than just eggs or a substitute. It rev's your metabolism for the rest of the day.

beachgal
03-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Is it a requirement? Well, I don't know of anyone who was successful that didn't eat as many veggies as they could. :shrug: They fill you up, aid in health, and make less room for the things that tripped you up in the first place (like bad carbs and processed foods).

To be successful, I'd recommend that you have veggies with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then with at LEAST one of your snacks. :yes:

That said, if you are working off of a cheat sheet for this plan, you're going to have trouble... :( like all diets, you will be most successful if you read the book. If you can't afford it, check your local library--most, if not all, carry it. The information in the book is indispensible to help you make decisions about your eating and to understand why things are or aren't allowed/suggested. It looks large, but at least half of it is food lists and recipes, so it doesn't take long to read.

You might try putting your calories into fitday (www.fitday.com) to find out how much you are eating a day. If your other meals are as small as your breakfast, you may be eating less than 1200 calories a day which can stall your weight loss too. It's too little...make sure you eat at LEAST 1200 a day, okay? :D

HelloMsKitty
03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh I'm sorry girls...I just meant the "how to adapt your meal plan" cheat sheet. I definitely do eat veggies as best I can...but...I don't eat them ALL the time. Sometimes I'm just a bit veggied out...ya know?

jazztap10
03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I think we all know what it feels like to be veggied out :)