Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/229/135

Default Eating for Life?

Has anyone tried Bill Phillip's Body for Life/Eating for Life? I bought the Eating for Life book because it had such pretty pictures and the recipes seemed easy and appetizing. I am doing a cardio workout everyday but have not incorporated the weight lifting part of the regime. I am not really sure that I want to have the Body for Life body (no six-pack for me, please), so I am wondering if anyone has any idea if the eating style (6 small meals, 1 protein + 1 carb each) would still help me lose weight. It is my understanding that the balance of protein and carbs contributes to muscle gain, but I am wondering where the food goes since I am not doing anything specific to encourage that gain. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks!
kellijo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Lots of folks here eat 'BFL' style. It is simple and the food lists are great. I've read thru and piddled away with the weights regimen but find it fiddly. The marvelous Mel on the Ladies who Lift forum suggested a four day split that works better for me.
You might actually want to go and read some of the stickies in the Ladies Who Lift forum. There is a good deal of info about BFL there.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #3  

I was using Body For Life though not religiously using the 12 week program and like it for getting into some sort of routine. The Eating for Life doesn't work for me so much as it is eating less more often and I couldn't get the hang of the schedule. I do think it is a sound plan for eating though if you can work around the schedule and it is full of good food ideas.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #4  

May I ask why you do not lift weights? It is important to have both components for a sound workout routine. You do not need to fear having a bodybuilders body from lifting weights b/c they get that through fine tuning their diet according to their macros and workout on average of 6 days a week, twice a day. I know some bodybuilders and they are amazing arts of work, but like you, I just want to be fit and healthy and the only time I've had a six pack is when I was working out and eating like a body builder, w/no cheats!!!! Ya, that only lasted a few years then I found ice cream again...

The idea behind eating 5 to 6 small meals a day is to rev up the metabolism. Our bodies temperature rises during the digestion process and when our bodies temperature rises, we burn calories at a higher rate (thermogenesis). So, by eating 5 to 6 small meals a day you are reving up your metabolism. Larger meals less frequently tend to store more as fat b/c we can only process x amt. at one time, whereas w/the more frequent small meals, it will almost all be used for energy. There are also blood sugar benefits to eating smaller more frequent meals. If you've noticed, after a huge meal we crash. This is often b/c of a spike in blood sugar, which when it crashes, so do we. This is not experienced w/5 to 6 meals a day. Of course, quality is key as well!!!

Well, I'm rambling and I hope that made sense and did not seem too confusing!!
sweetpea81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/229/135

You needn't worry about rambling, that made perfect sense. The main reason that I haven't started lifting weights is that anytime I think of "lifting weights" I automatically think of a gym (either a membership or a home bench). I'm a stay-at-home mom of a 4 year old and 2 year old and I am attending college full-time. I know this sounds like a cop-out, but I don't have the time or money for a gym membership. It's all I can do to get my 30-minute daily Gazelle workout in before my sons wake up at the crack of dawn . I wouldn't mind buying some weights to use at home, but I'm not quite ready to invest more than @ $100 towards any type of weight system. I have some resistance bands and although I can't really use the video that came with them, I have been doing some exercises that I found online (biceps curl, inner thigh stretches, etc.). I have also been considering an Easy Shaper, but I haven't heard enough about it, good or bad, to make an informed decision. After being so heavy for years, I have really messed up my feet, knees, and back and I could definitely use any low-impact toning suggestions. While my primary goal right now is to lose pounds, losing inches and toning up my flabby "leftovers" is going to become increasingly important. I'd like to start adding a 20-30 minute toning routine while my youngest son takes his afternoon nap, so if anyone can provide some ideas on the best way to do that cheaply, that would be great!
kellijo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

WalMart! Dumbells. I collect them
I'm kind of a hermit and could never make myself go out to a gym.
I learned a lot at this site www.stumptuous.com
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #7  

I think doing what you can is excellent and resistance bands are wonderful tools!!! As weight continues to melt off, your feet, knees and back should improve!! You're doing great!!!
sweetpea81 is offline   Reply With Quote