Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #1  

Default Belly dancing

Any excuse to use my favourity smiley My new years resolution is to try something new every month, so I am going to start belly dancing classes next week.

Any tips from any of you? I know we used to have a regular belly dancing thread. And what do I wear for my first classes, just comfortable relaxed clothing with bare feet? Or should I take a scarf? I'm not quite ready to display my belly as yet!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #2  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Yup, just comfy clothes. Sometimes, when I'm learning new moves, I prefer to wear some type of exrecise trousers because then I can watch my legs in the mirror for the proper form. When you wear a skirt, you don't see the legs moving at all which adds to the illusion of movement and is really gorgeous but not always practical for rehearsals. I'd say paint your toenails and go barefooted. Sometimes, if the studio is cold, we'll dance in socks but I don't really recommend that (total slippage!) and if you wear any sort of sneaker, you don't get the proper feel of the moves.

Have a great time! It's the most amazing low-impact work-out, plus it leaves you feeling all slinky and sexy.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #3  

Thanks for the tips! Some of the ladies do yoga and pilates in socks, I just can't do that, or I end up neck over turkey!

Exercise trousers and a pretty t-shirt it is. Now where did I put that fuchsia toe nail polish
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would also recommend bare feet. If you must wear shoes to be comfortable-you can safely dance in any of the following available at dance supply places:
~Lyric Sandals
~Hermes dance sandals
~Jazz shoes

I would also recommend that harem pants or skirts NOT be worn by beginners. I always stress this as well in my classes. FOr performances, yes-but the instructor needs to fully see your posture and positioning-and it is hard to correct someone if you can't see what they are doing wrong.

Also-you don't have to bare your belly. If you want to wear a snug fitting yoga tank, or leotard top or something that is great. You don't really want to wear a huge t-shirt-because there is a lot of chest, back, abdominal, and hip movements going on-and the instructor needs to see what you are doing, and if you are moving correctly.

A scarf is optional totally.

Any other questions you have, I would be happy to help you.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Love that emoticon, Kykaree!

For me, barefoot vs any covering would depend upon the studio floor. At home, barefoot is my preference. After, dancing in some NYC studios where janitorial services were of a minimum, I would caution newcomers to protect their feet.

Most of all, have fun!
Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote