Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default How would you integrate pilates and wl?

For example, I know that with The Firm, they are using weights with the aerobics, so you have to make sure not to double up on both.

I did pilates last nite and can really feel it today, even doing the most modified version. (Suzanne Deason's pilates for weight loss). Alot of the leg movements work the same muscles I work when I do my machine circuit, altho obviously without added resistance other than the weight of my leg.

How would you work this in with wl? Would you count it as a day of wl? Would it be ok to do this on my days off since it's only my own body weight? I don't want to get into an overuse situation where my muscles don't have enough downtime to heal. Thanks.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #2  
one leg press at a time

From several posts I have read in the past, pilates should be used as a weigh workout b/c so much of it is concentrated movements to the muscles.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Pilates should not be counted as a wl I don't think. I have worked with a personal trainer who also was a private pilates instructor. I was told that you can do pilates every day if you wanted but you can't with weights. Your muscles have to have rest in between weight sessions. I do pilates on the same day I do cardio. I do the videos at home after I leave the gym. Hope that helps.
hud7285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Red face Go ahead

I would second the motion that it's ok to do pilates on the same day or day after you lift. I'm assuming that you're mainly doing light mat work. If you are doing anything advanced this may change. I wouldn't do any other ab work on the same day as pilates since pilates is mainly working your core and you don't want to overwork it. I do pilates more for the relaxation and stretching than anything and it also works to release the lactic acid that builds up in your muscles the day after a good work-out so it can make you less sore. Pilate on sister!
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #5  

Lifting heavy weights tear your muscle fibers- the normal way that muscles grow; that's why they need time to heal and recover.

Pilates/yoga don't tear the muscle fibers, although they certainly use the muscles. I take a yoga/pilates combination class once a week, and use it for core work. Although I still do my usual ab/back routine, I make sure it is 2 days before or after the class. I find that although my legs are sore after class, doing leg resistance exercises, even the next day, helps the soreness.

Abs/core work respond better to repetitions, varied exercises and body weight more than to weight resistance. I have read that leg exercises also respond well to repetitions as opposed to weights. As long as you have recovery time during the week, I don't think you would be overtraining.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Kristy, yes, it definitely is relaxing! I felt like I was literally going to fall asleep and melt right into the floor after that hour workout. I also did it at 9-10 pm, which is generally too late for exercise, but I slept like a baby that nite!! WOW. What are some of your favorite workouts? This had the great scenery of Hawaii, which I think I would need to have in order not to get bored.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Default Anna Caban

Anna Caban rocks! She hosts the Gaiam series of Pilates which is super inexpensive as well for an added bonus. There's actually a PM pilates that is specificially for before bed and it is so relaxing and stretches you out really nice. It's awesome that you're getting into pilates more...if you do that as well as cardio and weights you will get that long lean dancer's body. And you see results so quickly just in the toning. I love it...keep up the awesome work!
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote